Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I admire the dedication to the talking point.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Mind you, "disproportionately" is doing a lot of work in that chart. 18% of vax-hesitant people are black, against 13.4% of the population. So +34% more likely to be hesitant vs. other races.

22% are Hispanic, against a 16.7% population. +32%

Meanwhile, 58% of Republican identifiers are completely anti-vax. Not vax-hesitant, they're "definitely not" getting the vaccine. According to Gallup, 24% of the country identifies as Republican. 58/24 is +142%.

So it's pretty pathetic to try to deflect a conversation about partisan at udes toward the vaccines into one about race.

But that's what complicit cowards do. (Here's where Darrin laughs at the numbers while making no attempt to dispute them.)
    Last edited by Adam Lambert; 08-04-2021 at 08:58 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    33% of blacks in NY are fully vaccinated. The problem is more broad than your myopic view point allows you to see.
    That number is incorrect. Not sure where you got it from. Black people account for 13% of the people with at least 1 vaccine in the state of New York, and they make up 16% of the population in the state... There's a disparity, but it's not a crazy one.

There is a cultural distrust of medicine to a certain extent in the black community which can account for some of the hesitancy, and it's not unwarranted. It dates back decades.

This new conspiracy theory nonsense and insane level of distrust in medicine/academia, which has been predominantly on the far right, is more new and I'd say very closely tied to Trump's rhetoric and antics

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    San Antonio has a pretty solid vaccination rate. Around 70% fully vaccinated in the 18+ group.

Our unvaccinated are predominantly in poorer and more rural areas.

It is what it is.
    Overall vaccination rates are increasing. I think this new Delta variant might be scaring people straight. Herd immunity requires a group effort though, so we can't just write off the poor and rural areas.

There are states where rates are hovering around 50%, and they're seeing in uptick in cases again. It's not a coincidence

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Overall vaccination rates are increasing. I think this new Delta variant might be scaring people straight. Herd immunity requires a group effort though, so we can't just write off the poor and rural areas.

There are states where rates are hovering around 50%, and they're seeing in uptick in cases again. It's not a coincidence

I want as many people to get it as possible.

A friend of mine at Methodist said there was a noticeable increase in hospitalized pregnant women, which is sad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Children are just little adults so why won't the FDA let them get vaccinated?
    And dogs are little humans. Lets vax the puppies too

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And dogs are little humans. Lets vax the puppies too
    Sarcasm detector malfunction

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I want to hear from people who are on the fence about getting one of the vaccines, or who have decided against it. What are your reasons?

I'm a pediatric physician in Texas who has gotten the vaccine myself. I've seen the terrible toll of the virus firsthand and I'm watching this resurgence with tremendous frustration, because now it's affecting our kids at a higher rate. I want to better understand these decisions that people are making and hopefully open a dialogue.
    Everyone should have a right to decide wether to let their immune system fight the virus or get help from the vax. Its a free country. Let the idiots do as they please

And before ppl say but they are using up our hospital beds. We already let ppl eat drink and drug themselves to hospitam beds. Let them covid themselves too. If hospitals fill up let them die at home. I definitely would put a limit on covid hospital beds so regular ppl can alsi get medical care

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everyone should have a right to decide wether to let their immune system fight the virus or get help from the vax. Its a free country. Let the idiots do as they please

And before ppl say but they are using up our hospital beds. We already let ppl eat drink and drug themselves to hospitam beds. Let them covid themselves too. If hospitals fill up let them die at home. I definitely would put a limit on covid hospital beds so regular ppl can alsi get medical care

I don't think these people understand covid risk vs vaccine risk.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    California ain't no southern state and they've been locked down for 18 months and lead in deaths at 65k.
    A closer look at "California" will show you it's Trump Counties ie Orange County that have the highest rates.

Solly cholly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed. This lack of understanding leads to a lot of unvaccinated folk

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's a big part of the problem, yup

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed. This lack of understanding leads to a lot of unvaccinated folk
    Pretty much. On top of that, some of them wield ignorance as a badge of honor, which makes it even more complicated.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    A closer look at "California" will show you it's Trump Counties ie Orange County that have the highest rates.

Solly cholly.
    I don't want to hear about any if's, and's, or, buts, Mult, California leads in deaths at 65k.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Pretty much. On top of that, some of them wield ignorance as a badge of honor, which makes it even more complicated.
    233k complicated and all on mother er Biden's "plan."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    233k complicated and all on mother er Biden's "plan."
    ^ Exhibit A

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Many people worry that these vaccines were rushed into use and still do not have full FDA approval — they are currently being distributed under Emergency Use Authorizations," Goepfert said. "But because we have had so many people vaccinated, we actually have far more safety data than we have had for any other vaccine, and these COVID vaccines have an incredible safety track record. There should be confidence in that."

“The long-term side effects of COVID infection are a major concern. Up to 10 percent of people who have COVID experience side effects” such as difficulty thinking, pain, tiredness, loss of taste and depression. “We don’t know why that is, how long these symptoms will last or if there are effective ways to treat them. That is the most troubling unknown for me.”

https://www.uab.edu/reporter/resourc...things-to-know
    Respectfully:
    That is not your own words.

I'm sure you can put them simply if you put your mind to it. or just say, "I agree with that".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know they don't. No ambiguity there

People suck at statistics.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    to answer OP, it's really simple

(R)

that is literally it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think my current favorite theory is that the vaccines are developed from aborted fetuses.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That is a good point. I lose count of all the mother ers I've seen admitted to the hospital week after week to detox from alcohol.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unfortunately it's looking like that's a big part of it. The divide in vaccination rates between parties is staggering... I guess 4+ years of endocrination with insane conspiracy theories has taken its toll...

That's not the only reason though. The fears about vaccine side effects cross party lines to a certain extent. There's just so much misinformation out there [bolded for emphasis-RG]
    and that is the reason it crosses party lines to some extent.

The susceptibility to misinformation... a symptom... or a disease itself?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    anti-vax sentiment didnt really seem to have a partisan divide though. was always just a fringe thing that popped up here and there without necessarily any political motivation. it was always intuitive to me that the right would be more anti-vax given their views on other scientific issues like climate change, but tbh it rarely manifested that way.

until covid and trump. trump had some anti-vax comments during his 2016 campaign too, iirc, even at one of the debates

edit: found the clip i referenced. he'll say that he's not anti vax before going on an anti-vax spiel

Trumps narcissism tapped into the latent anti-science, anti-education streak in the conservative movement.

His need for being the best/smartest made him pick that up and magnify it, because nothing could threaten his own perception of himself as being smarter than anybody else.

That got dialed up to 11.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can always tell someone's a Republican when they complain about how "politicized" the vaccines were but never say a single thing about who's responsible for making it political. Like, are you criticizing Democrats for being pro-vaccine partisans?
    +1

It wasn't politicized before the cult made it so.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I was referring to NYC and mainly the 18-44 age group of blacks. I'm sure they are all far right Republicans

In all seriousness, there is a distrust in minority communities as well as the Qanon crazies. Fauci and Trump are equally responsible for said distrust, imo.

That number is incorrect. Not sure where you got it from. Black people account for 13% of the people with at least 1 vaccine in the state of New York, and they make up 16% of the population in the state... There's a disparity, but it's not a crazy one.

There is a cultural distrust of medicine to a certain extent in the black community which can account for some of the hesitancy, and it's not unwarranted. It dates back decades.

This new conspiracy theory nonsense and insane level of distrust in medicine/academia, which has been predominantly on the far right, is more new and I'd say very closely tied to Trump's rhetoric and antics

Thread Information