Page 36 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh, I think Jones is doing well. My point is that him doing well doesn't make him surpass guys like Walker or Forbes, and it shouldn't make anyone feel better about trading White. Those guys all dominated the summer league in games too. Bryn in particular would be a star in a league where the guys were just a bit smaller. He's actually a relatively large human being (in height but also in terms of how muscular he is) outside of an NBA court, and he'd look a lot better if he were closer to two-guard size in a league rather than shorter than a lot of PGs. Jones should be able to stick in the league just as his brother has. But he might well not be in the rotation this season, even if Pop doesn't show favoritism.
    don't disagree overall but you forgot one thing : he is the only true PG in this team and we need a player like him. If he is not good then move on and play Forbes but with his play at the SL ( he was also good at Duke) he deserves a little role imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So just to be clear, this also happened in the summer league:

Obviously White has turned out to be a consistently good player when he can stay healthy. Forbes is a relatively consistent scorer and Walker has talent. But the drop-off from being the featured guy in a summer-league game to a bit player in the NBA is massive. There's no point in trying to project NBA role from it. It's basically just a skill check.
    The best comparison is White with his passing, command of game, when to score. I think what exciting is Tre seems to be working on his shots, and it shows. Again, show us some more Tre.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A lot of what has been said about Tre is being confirmed in Summer League, or as some are saying, he is checking the right boxes. Despite a strong game yesterday, I can see he still needs to work on his outside shooting. It appears he is working on it and progress is being made.

The most impressive thing about his performance was his all around output, scoring, defense, assists, driving with the change of speed. He didn't just excel in one aspect of the game, he played well in many facets of the game.

Things get harder in the NBA as we all know but I feel good about the guy.

I liked what I saw from Cup of Joe yesterday as well. I thought he was going to be a catch and shoot guy and that was pretty much it but he mixes it up under the basket, is fearless shooting and his defense is a bit better than I thought it would be. Fingers crossed.

Primo looks to be more of a project than I was hoping but he can shoot and has room (time) to grow.

Devin is who I have been disappointed with thus far. I am speaking about his conditioning and inability to hit threes playing summer league talent.

Primo is more a project than I was hoping for but he can shoot and is young.
    Just like we can read to much into Tre's potential based off a summer league performance we can also read to much into the downside based on Devin's summer league performance. Yes, he looked bad against G league talent but he was also playing a role that he won't play this year on the big club. He's not going to be asked to be a go-to scorer like he was asked to be this summer. He'll play the 3-D role he played last year.... they pushed him this summer and he showed he wasn't ready for that (and may never be) but he'll look much different when they put him back into his preferred role.

Martin

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just like we can read to much into Tre's potential based off a summer league performance we can also read to much into the downside based on Devin's summer league performance. Yes, he looked bad against G league talent but he was also playing a role that he won't play this year on the big club. He's not going to be asked to be a go-to scorer like he was asked to be this summer. He'll play the 3-D role he played last year.... they pushed him this summer and he showed he wasn't ready for that (and may never be) but he'll look much different when they put him back into his preferred role.

Martin
    I think with the absence of the Vets, Vassell needs to step up with the rest of the young guys. And he’s one of the few who can really create for himself. I don’t want him to be shy or defer shots. He needs to have the confidence, I hate to say it, the Mamba mentality to finish games. I think he is very capable. Just keep sending him out there.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think with the absence of the Vets, Vassell needs to step up with the rest of the young guys. And he’s one of the few who can really create for himself. I don’t want him to be shy or defer shots. He needs to have the confidence, I hate to say it, the Mamba mentality to finish games. I think he is very capable. Just keep sending him out there.
    I think adding a 'mamba mentality' to his game is something to experiment with next summer. This year he needs to play lockdown defense and catch and shoot 3's, with the occasional dribble drive closeouts after he starts consistently nailing 3's... doing to much will stunt him at this juncture.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So just to be clear, this also happened in the summer league:

Obviously White has turned out to be a consistently good player when he can stay healthy. Forbes is a relatively consistent scorer and Walker has talent. But the drop-off from being the featured guy in a summer-league game to a bit player in the NBA is massive. There's no point in trying to project NBA role from it. It's basically just a skill check.
    Looking at Lonnie makes me melancholic, kind of. He's -or was- a better looking prospect than Primo. Size, smooth jumper and anthleticism that really popped. Outside of Primos shot and his scrappiness, he doesn't really pop athletically. I get the premature impression that his bbiq is higher than Walker but no way to really tell until he's playing with the team in the RS.

Tre Jones reminds me of is brother Tyus. He was a Summer League MVP right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lonnie is going to be really solid to great once he has a better coach tbh. Not worried about him at all when he gets to be on a real team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lonnie is going to be really solid to great once he has a better coach tbh. Not worried about him at all when he gets to be on a real team.
    This is your whole schtick, isn't it?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Scrubs with 10% of Lonnie's talent have the green light, but he had to waste years sitting in the corner while Patty and Marco were desperately trying to hide behind screens and chuck every ball they get.

Idk how can anyone think it's a coincidence he played his best games last season when Demar and/or Patty were out.
    Not to mention how Pop's pet never got taken out of the game for being turnstiles on defense, but every mistake Lonnie made reduced his minutes on the floor.

And now ing Bryn is back to put the last nail in the coffin.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is your whole schtick, isn't it?
    Nah, no schtick when it comes to Lonnie. I have zero doubt a change of scenery/coach will do wonders for him after he's no longer a Spur. I thought there was a slight chance that he would get a fair shake this upcoming year with Derozan gone but as soon as that POS Bryn was brought back, that hope went flying out the window

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah, no schtick when it comes to Lonnie. I have zero doubt a change of scenery/coach will do wonders for him after he's no longer a Spur. I thought there was a slight chance that he would get a fair shake this upcoming year with Derozan gone but as soon as that POS Bryn was brought back, that hope went flying out the window
    No, I mean endlessly ing about the coach. It's all you do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop really has not run the organization very well for the past last 1/2 a decade

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Scrubs with 10% of Lonnie's talent have the green light, but he had to waste years sitting in the corner while Patty and Marco were desperately trying to hide behind screens and chuck every ball they get.

Idk how can anyone think it's a coincidence he played his best games last season when Demar and/or Patty were out.
    Not to mention how Pop's pet never got taken out of the game for being turnstiles on defense, but every mistake Lonnie made reduced his minutes on the floor.

And now ing Bryn is back to put the last nail in the coffin.
    I'm still holding out a sliver of hope for Lonnie this season, but it's increasingly looking like his developmental ups could have lasting damage, and derail his career. No doubt he had (and has) a lot of work to do on his mental game, that might've always been an "Achilles' heel" to his path to NBA s om, but it's hard to ignore his mishandling by coaching regarding his role, minutes, spot on the team, and up-bringing.

Such a shame. Can only hope Primo doesn't go down the same route.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm still holding out a sliver of hope for Lonnie this season, but it's increasingly looking like his developmental ups could have lasting damage, and derail his career. No doubt he had (and has) a lot of work to do on his mental game, that might've always been an "Achilles' heel" to his path to NBA s om, but it's hard to ignore his mishandling by coaching regarding his role, minutes, spot on the team, and up-bringing.

Such a shame. Can only hope Primo doesn't go down the same route.
    I hope not. The last 3 years have just been bad chemistry with the personnel. The vets are gone, and it's a clean slate.

No more star egos to massage, except maybe the question on who, Murray or White, should be the primary ballhandler.

I think White is a better PG, and should be the main facilitator, and Murray playing combo (if Murray is not dealt in a package, which could finally clear that issue)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, I mean endlessly ing about the coach. It's all you do.
    Not true. I also think the President of Basketball Ops is a major problem.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not true. I also think the President of Basketball Ops is a major problem.
    Lol. You so bad.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Give me some of that Crack..........

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stop it. Walker will suck where ever he is. And if he doesn't suck, then he'll just be a soft, inconsistent tease. He's had 3 years to show us who he is & this is it. He doesn't compete and only plays on top of his game about 25% of the time. It's ridiculous. Just like Luka Sumana . Soft-Ass Euro who is most likely homesick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    #FreeLonnie

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lonnie will have a long NBA career. Likely it'll be as a journeyman who gets contracts for years based off his potential. Dunno if that's a failure or not. But he'll definitely do better with a different coach, even if he won't reach his potential unless he finds a coach that can push him in the right way.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Haven't yall been keeping up? The trend is to breakout in year six so gotta give him 2 more years to avoid regrets

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lonnie will have a long NBA career. Likely it'll be as a journeyman who gets contracts for years based off his potential. Dunno if that's a failure or not. But he'll definitely do better with a different coach, even if he won't reach his potential unless he finds a coach that can push him in the right way.
    Ben McLemore, another high flyer with a nice jumper who just never put it all together, and is now bouncing around the league on small contracts. Journeyman.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ben McLemore, another high flyer with a nice jumper who just never put it all together, and is now bouncing around the league on small contracts. Journeyman.
    Yeah. He's been around for nine seasons now and has earned about $30 Million over his career. Add in inflation and the Spurs shine, and Lonnie could earn twice that while basically being a similar player. If he improves at all, he'll get three times that much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah. He's been around for nine seasons now and has earned about $30 Million over his career. Add in inflation and the Spurs shine, and Lonnie could earn twice that while basically being a similar player. If he improves at all, he'll get three times that much.
    I'd love to "fail" while making $90M.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s make or break year for Walker he better be working hard and better be doing serious film room on how to properly play defense. He controls his destiny the training wheels are going to be taken off so he better be ready to produce on offense and on defense.

Thread Information