Page 32 of 39 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1) I don't think any of the 29 teams would have signed make-a-wish other than popovich
    2) I now desperately wished Mills was impelled to resign so the above guy wouldn't have crossed pop's mind to acquire

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I got told that Forbes got a one-year, $4.5 million deal with no options either way. It's a second-hand source so take the info with a grain of salt. I haven't been able to get that number confirmed.

Tbh ..... that'd be a surprising contract. You'd think either Forbes or the Spurs would put an option year on it. But, uh, I guess I'd be okay with that deal because it'd mean that he may only be here one year. Obviously it sucks that he's back but a one-year deal is the best scenario in this bad situation.

Hopefully something more concrete gets leaked soon. I still have a bad feeling that this thing is really a two-year, $10 million deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I got told that Forbes got a one-year, $4.5 million deal with no options either way. It's a second-hand source so take the info with a grain of salt. I haven't been able to get that number confirmed.

Tbh ..... that'd be a surprising contract. You'd think either Forbes or the Spurs would put an option year on it. But, uh, I guess I'd be okay with that deal because it'd mean that he may only be here one year. Obviously it sucks that he's back but a one-year deal is the best scenario in this bad situation.

Hopefully something more concrete gets leaked soon. I still have a bad feeling that this thing is really a two-year, $10 million deal.
    The one year would fit with all of the ending contracts they took on to clear a slot next summer, though, wouldn’t it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he is our best scorer then I would be surprised to see this team win 30 games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I mean I’ve been on the one year (or team option 2 year/non guaranteed 2nd year) train. He turned down like 2.8M and there was not a big market for him. One year at 4.5M is basically like a 2 year deal for him value wise imo. He didn’t deserve a raise really but got one. Please be one year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He's just setting himself up to sign a $36M/3 contract with us next summer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know that the team always goes with the "terms of the deal weren't disclosed per team policy" nonsense, but at some point that all has to become public knowledge, right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know that the team always goes with the "terms of the deal weren't disclosed per team policy" nonsense, but at some point that all has to become public knowledge, right?
    No. They aren’t obligated to release terms, as a privately held en y. They usually leak, though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No. They aren’t obligated to release terms, as a privately held en y. They usually leak, though.
    Interesting. How does BBallRef, Spotrac, etc always seem to end up with them then? Is that all leaks?
    Last edited by Dex; 08-27-2021 at 12:34 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting. How does BBallRef, Sporstrac, etc always seem to end up with them then? Is that all leaks?
    I think some have sources at the league, and teams do have to submit terms to the league for cap/tax purposes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since some folks are going to have to be cut to pare the roster, this signing means we won't go for broke with the young kids rebuilding, but will try to go into the next season with half-measures instead of a full out rebuilding year. Half-measures seldom work out IMO because you wind up pleasing no one. It isn't that Forbes has no value. He's proven he can remain in the league with his skill set, but my preference would have been to go with a full measure of rebuild. A rising tide of mediocrity will drown folks chained to the bottom.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, in the NFL, exact contracts are reported to the league once signed, and reporters are told explicitly what they are. There's always a point where the terms are definitely disclosed. I don't believe the NBA has that specific policy though. The league knew Forbes' terms when the Spurs submitted the signing, especially since the Spurs had to clarify they were using the room exception to get him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since some folks are going to have to be cut to pare the roster, this signing means we won't go for broke with the young kids rebuilding, but will try to go into the next season with half-measures instead of a full out rebuilding year. Half-measures seldom work out IMO because you wind up pleasing no one. It isn't that Forbes has no value. He's proven he can remain in the league with his skill set, but my preference would have been to go with a full measure of rebuild. A rising tide of mediocrity will drown folks chained to the bottom.
    In the last 6 months, the Spurs have jettisoned LMA, DeRozan, Rudy, and Patty, and you don’t see that as a youth movement? A rebuild?

Okaaaaay.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Spotrac now has Forbes' contract exactly as I stated (one-year, $4.5 million). So unless their source is my post, we can be confident that's the actual contract

It's a weird deal because they didn't give him the whole exception but didn't leave a notable amount behind. And usually there is a player or team option when teams use this exception.

Overall, though, I'm happy because this really could just be a one year rental where the Spurs bring him in for the season for veteran leadership purposes. prayingdog.jpg

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the last 6 months, the Spurs have jettisoned LMA, DeRozan, Rudy, and Patty, and you don’t see that as a youth movement? A rebuild?

Okaaaaay.
    It is certainly a rebuild. Not sure if it was intended to be one or just another “retooling.” This is absolutely a rebuild. Let’s just hope we are not obliged to trade any of our 1st round picks in the near future.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spotrac now has Forbes' contract exactly as I stated (one-year, $4.5 million). So unless their source is my post, we can be confident that's the actual contract

It's a weird deal because they didn't give him the whole exception but didn't leave a notable amount behind. And usually there is a player or team option when teams use this exception.

Overall, though, I'm happy because this really could just be a one year rental where the Spurs bring him in for the season for veteran leadership purposes. prayingdog.jpg
    im happy he signed a 1 year deal because it might just be one year rental is a galaxy brain take imho

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My guess is that the Spurs didn't know they were going to give him the room exception when he agreed. There were options like S&Ting for Zach Colilns (as part of Markkannen being in the DeRozan deal and going to Portland or Cleveland?) that might've preserved cap space. It makes sense for Forbes to jump ship from Milwaukee, because he is getting more money and a bigger role. For the Spurs, he's pure insurance against Walker or another potential scorer not being able to step up and a potential trade piece to a contender if he plays well this year but SA doesn't have playoff hopes. If my theory is correct, the Spurs could've believed they had the capacity to offer him three or four years and didn't do it. That's as good of a sign as anything we've heard in regards to Forbes' return. As I've said, he doesn't raise the offensive ceiling, but he does raise it's offensive floor a bit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopefully it means the old man is gone after this season tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    im happy he signed a 1 year deal because it might just be one year rental is a galaxy brain take imho
    Tbh, not happy happy but happy that my worst nightmare of Forbes returning may be for only one year instead of multiple years.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm 'ok' with this signing... I think it works positively for us in two different paths we may choose. If we end up trading for Simmons before the deadline he's a decent fit playing alongside him. If we don't and just go with the guys we have he's a trade assist at the deadline. The only way to screw it up is signing him long term with the team as presently constructed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great news. The only thing that would've made it better is if that deal were fully unguaranteed and he could be cut by training camp.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the possible scoop, timvp!

I don't recall the Spurs doing this before. Signing a vet to a 1-yr deal. I'm not complaining in this case.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good on Smitty for actually breaking the numbers, even if we kinda knew before that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Could've been worse. After all, it's not my money to spend and we already knew he would be here at least one year.

Now it's all up to see how much Pop plays him.

Thread Information