Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

Bitter old men or do they have valid points?

Agree with Jalen on Jordan. He would be a better 3 point shooter in today's game. Not 50ppg but most definitely hovering around 40 his entire career.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    yes and the previous generations said the same crap about their generation and guaranteed wilt would average 80ppg against guys like shaq hakeem and drob while jordan wouldnt even be a star in the 60s so its just history repeating itself of wreckless, pride infused talk

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OLD MEN YELL AT CLOUDS

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That being said, this footage from The Last Dance is still badass

Jordan

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    yes and the previous generations said the same crap about their generation and guaranteed wilt would average 80ppg against guys like shaq hakeem and drob while jordan wouldnt even be a star in the 60s so its just history repeating itself of wreckless, pride infused talk
    At this point the majority of current NBA players were raised on the inferior playstyle and rules. Add in social media.

I think they could adapt but they were brought up to be this inferior way. It is little fault of their own.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At this point the majority of current NBA players were raised on the inferior playstyle and rules. Add in social media.

I think they could adapt but they were brought up to be this inferior way. It is little fault of their own.
    "Inferior playstyle and rules"

How is it inferior?
    Players are more skilled. the league is the more talented it's ever been from top to bottom, offensive and defensive schemes are are more complex and diverse - holy , those old school games wrre so limited in terme of of offensive and strategies , it's really antiquated

nostalgia SMH

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    "Inferior playstyle and rules"

How is it inferior?
    Players are more skilled. the league is the more talented it's ever been from top to bottom, offensive and defensive schemes are are more complex and diverse - holy , those old school games wrre so limited in terme of of offensive and strategies , it's really antiquated

nostalgia SMH
    I never thought to myself, I wish Hakeem could dribble the ball the length of the court and heave a 3pointer.

The League is more one dimensional today because all 5 players are the exact same style just differ in leg and arm length.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I never thought to myself, I wish Hakeem could dribble the ball the length of the court and heave a 3pointer.

The League is more one dimensional today because all 5 players are the exact same style just differ in leg and arm length.
    Guys like Jokic can bring the ball up the court like a PG, post up, makes amazing passes, shoots the midrange, the one legged fade away, the 3 pointer
    Name one center in the 90s who could do ALL THAT, I'll wait

I guess he is one dimensional .............

Hakeem was ahead of his time, same thing with Dirk, because they were non American players but when it coms to Murican bigs they were so stiff compared to today's bigs

I guess Dave Corzine was a unicorn

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That being said, this footage from The Last Dance is still badass

Jordan

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    I never thought to myself
    well theres the problem. youre stating your opinion as though its a fact. its not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean the league is softer. There's zero argument about that. the NBA literally put in rules to help the offense get to what it is. As far as skills go though, it's tough for me to say that we are more skilled now then back in the day. I would take all the early 2000 stars over any star today not named Lebron who tbh was a star in the early 2000s. I would take the 90's stars over the NBA stars today. I didn't see the 80s stars in their prime so I won't speak on that.

To me, we confuse shooting 3s as being more skilled. Like we jack up 70 threes a game and make 18 of them and say we are more skilled. That type of thinking (Moreyball) is nonsense. could Shaq shoot 3s? no. But can Embiid live in the paint and dominate consistently the way Shaq did? Nope. Embiid having to shoot any type of 3 pointer is because his teammates aren't skilled. Like Simmons literally won't even shoot anymore. Westbrick shoots 18% from 3. John Wall can't shoot. Derozan doesn't even shoot them. Dwight can't shoot or post. There are a lot of players that can't shoot in this league yet everyone just says that we can. Brooke Lopez was averaging 19 points a game for like 8 straight years. Then they put his ass out at the 3 point line where he shoots like 32% and scores less points, has less rebounds, and has his greatest strengths as a player taken away from him. But because he can supposedly hit a 3 point shot all of a sudden he is more talented than other big men back in the day? Makes zero sense.

Steph Curry has killed the NBA in a lot of ways and tbh I blame KD for it. Had KD not gone over there, Curry's little run would've been ended by Lebron and this style of basketball would've been a cute flash in the pan. Charles point in the opening of the video was spot on. You had the 3 greatest shooters at their position on the same team and everyone is trying to copy them like they have great shooters on their team.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    I mean the league is softer. There's zero argument about that. the NBA literally put in rules to help the offense get to what it is. As far as skills go though, it's tough for me to say that we are more skilled now then back in the day. I would take all the early 2000 stars over any star today not named Lebron who tbh was a star in the early 2000s. I would take the 90's stars over the NBA stars today. I didn't see the 80s stars in their prime so I won't speak on that.

To me, we confuse shooting 3s as being more skilled. Like we jack up 70 threes a game and make 18 of them and say we are more skilled. That type of thinking (Moreyball) is nonsense. could Shaq shoot 3s? no. But can Embiid live in the paint and dominate consistently the way Shaq did? Nope. Embiid having to shoot any type of 3 pointer is because his teammates aren't skilled. Like Simmons literally won't even shoot anymore. Westbrick shoots 18% from 3. John Wall can't shoot. Derozan doesn't even shoot them. Dwight can't shoot or post. There are a lot of players that can't shoot in this league yet everyone just says that we can. Brooke Lopez was averaging 19 points a game for like 8 straight years. Then they put his ass out at the 3 point line where he shoots like 32% and scores less points, has less rebounds, and has his greatest strengths as a player taken away from him. But because he can supposedly hit a 3 point shot all of a sudden he is more talented than other big men back in the day? Makes zero sense.

Steph Curry has killed the NBA in a lot of ways and tbh I blame KD for it. Had KD not gone over there, Curry's little run would've been ended by Lebron and this style of basketball would've been a cute flash in the pan. Charles point in the opening of the video was spot on. You had the 3 greatest shooters at their position on the same team and everyone is trying to copy them like they have great shooters on their team.
    funny how this is basically the same thing 60s and 70s fanboys were complaining about in regards to the 80s-00s, only about different skills and that Michael Jordan ruined the NBA instead of Steph curry

same thing will happen in 20 years with fanboys of the 10s and 20s complaining about the next modern era, when in fact it's simply just natural growth and evolution of the game, learning from the past and adjusting to overcome whatever is currently dominating the game. in the end, mostly it's just people bellyaching that the game isn't what they grew up watching.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Craig Ehlo & Danny Ainge ewould lock up KD & LeBron IMO

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    funny how this is basically the same thing 60s and 70s fanboys were complaining about in regards to the 80s-00s, only about different skills and that Michael Jordan ruined the NBA instead of Steph curry

same thing will happen in 20 years with fanboys of the 10s and 20s complaining about the next modern era, when in fact it's simply just natural growth and evolution of the game, learning from the past and adjusting to overcome whatever is currently dominating the game. in the end, mostly it's just people bellyaching that the game isn't what they grew up watching.
    This

Also, Barkley is wrong about copycats
    They existed in the 80s 90s too. A few teams actually tried to implement the triangle offense because of the Bulls success but it didn’t work, the same way a few teams have tried without success to copy the Warriors

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I don’t care that it isn’t the same as it was when I grew up. I can barely watch the 99 season bc of how ty our offense is. The 90s in general had really ty offenses and I’m glad they changed the rules to favor offense. I just don’t think that jacking up 70 threes a game is fun to watch. The exact same way I didn’t think watching the Pacers and Heat scoring 60 points for their match up was fun to watch. There has to be some sort of middle ground here which is why I liked the early 2000s so much.

But honestly it’s the show that the nba is now that I hate. I live here in Houston and go to rockets games and it wasn’t really fun watching this team. Maybe you find 3s and lots of free throws exciting. I don’t.

And nobody really complained that Jordan ruined the game (except the bad boys). He was so technically sound and played almost exactly like his idols of the 60s and 70s. I can see Oscar in Jordan’s game or Dr. J.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    Guys like Jokic can bring the ball up the court like a PG, post up, makes amazing passes, shoots the midrange, the one legged fade away, the 3 pointer
    Name one center in the 90s who could do ALL THAT, I'll wait

I guess he is one dimensional .............

Hakeem was ahead of his time, same thing with Dirk, because they were non American players but when it coms to Murican bigs they were so stiff compared to today's bigs

I guess Dave Corzine was a unicorn
    Sure but can Jovic defend or rebound like those American big stiffs?

I don't need him to do those things you listed, I prefer 1-3 to fill that role otherwise what are they doing on the court. Just have a starting 5 of Small Forwards. Which is essentially where the game is "evolving".

This is a recycled topic. I've argued before the NBA has seen the most changes to their League in comparison to the other sports. And it's not just game rules. The typical NBA star no longer comes from the inner city (or rural) and in a decade or so most might be from a private boarding school. The players are arguably more different mentally than physically in contrast to past generations. This isn't even taking into account social media which is huge in NBA locker rooms.

I agree the players on the bench are better and overall I think the shooting especially from outside is better. Dribbling is better. I think most everything else is declined and not just because it isn't being taught but because it isn't prioritized. I.e. hurry up and get that ball inbounded. I can't speak on the 80s but some of these coaches in the NBA today seem more like buddies/mentors than teachers.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    GIGO

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some valid points by the old folks. I tend to think a superstar can be a superstar in any era. I also doubt jordan can average 50ppg, in all seriousness. He may even average less because of load management and reduction in minutes.

That said, the league is undoubtedly softer and it’s a number of reasons:
    1) having to sell to mass appeal. Corporate sponsors and skyboxes rule so they have to sell to those guys. Fist fights every game isn’t something that is easy to sell to corporate sponsors and the suits. Who wants to pay hundreds of millions to have their corporate brands associated with a thugs sport? You see Microsoft and Amazon sponsoring boxing and mma?
    2) reducing injuries, allowing the elite players to play longer and sell more tickets.
    3) be like mike - Pistons and Knicks didn’t sell tickets, but showtime and the bulls did
    4) corporate image - nobody wants to see another malice in the palace or even those Knicks and heat brawls. It’s ugly and puts a stain on the league image.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t care that it isn’t the same as it was when I grew up. I can barely watch the 99 season bc of how ty our offense is. The 90s in general had really ty offenses and I’m glad they changed the rules to favor offense. I just don’t think that jacking up 70 threes a game is fun to watch. The exact same way I didn’t think watching the Pacers and Heat scoring 60 points for their match up was fun to watch. There has to be some sort of middle ground here which is why I liked the early 2000s so much.

But honestly it’s the show that the nba is now that I hate. I live here in Houston and go to rockets games and it wasn’t really fun watching this team. Maybe you find 3s and lots of free throws exciting. I don’t.

And nobody really complained that Jordan ruined the game (except the bad boys). He was so technically sound and played almost exactly like his idols of the 60s and 70s. I can see Oscar in Jordan’s game or Dr. J.
    It’s the Rockets, they do shoot too many 3s but not every team jacks up 3s like the Rockets either
    Heat, Suns, Spurs, Bucks, Nugs are pretty much mid range oriented
    Warriors shoot 3s but they can actually shoot, and have good rythm and ball movement, whereas Houston shoot 3s just for the sake of shooting 3s

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    did you actually watch the video? i can’t tell tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tbh

lmao steve kerr exclusive

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tbh

that was a good one too tbh

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

Very valid point about the Warriors. But I think the NBA was already heading in that direction. The 2011 Mavs were a jump shooting team, for example. (20 made three point FG vs LA)

In regards to the 90's ball - I think some of that stuff that is now so maligned in this forum from that era is a skill in and of itself. If you can protect the paint and mindfvck your opponent with brute strength and physicality then you have already won the battle. It's just no longer valued because the rules have changed and every time someone falls down it's a flagrant 2

Things in life tend to go full circle. So I think much to lefty's dismay, we will see the Charles Oakley types making a return to the NBA at some point. They are already implementing measures to cut down on BS free throws and I think moving the 3 point line back will be the next major move that swings the game back into the traditional direction in which it once again becomes more about seeking a high percentage shot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Very valid point about the Warriors. But I think the NBA was already heading in that direction. The 2011 Mavs were a jump shooting team, for example. (20 made three point FG vs LA)

In regards to the 90's ball - I think some of that stuff that is now so maligned in this forum from that era is a skill in and of itself. If you can protect the paint and mindfvck your opponent with brute strength and physicality then you have already won the battle. It's just no longer valued because the rules have changed and every time someone falls down it's a flagrant 2

Things in life tend to go full circle. So I think much to lefty's dismay, we will see the Charles Oakley types making a return to the NBA at some point. They are already implementing measures to cut down on BS free throws and I think moving the 3 point line back will be the next major move that swings the game back into the traditional direction in which it once again becomes more about seeking a high percentage shot.
    lol thinking bigs were patrolling the paint and hitting the slasher everytime this is such a myth and it needs to die

They couldn't sit in the paint and wait because of the illegal defense rule, that's why they would end up posterized or be forced to hard foul (the other reason is because they sucked at defending ), because they had to wait for the slasher to make his move so they were late

Oh and you can thank that giant pussy Jordan for the flagrant foul rule

Thread Information