Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526 LastLast
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did you say this is the last five minutes of the fourth quarter? If so, I can't help by notice that Murray's and White's times don't add up to five minutes, meaning they could (and did) still not play together until February.
    This is with regards to KobeAchilles claiming White never finishes games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KobesAchilles lets his emotions blind him sometimes rather than him listening to his brain, but he's a true Spurs fan

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where is the evidence that White and DJ don’t play well together? They’ve hardly played together at all other than the Bubble, which would suggest the opposite, or at least a neutral opinion.
    obviously does not exist

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.nba.com/stats/players/cl...12%2F31%2F2019

There same thing White finishes games. Your'e getting exposed man, just watch games. You won't know who closes games by looking at box scores.
    I watched the beginning of last year then got fed up with the line ups and stopped for my sanity. I just don’t remember us having a line up of White, Demar, LMA, Gay, and Forbes to close out the games. I remember Patty closing out a lot of games tbh.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I watched the beginning of last year then got fed up with the line ups and stopped for my sanity. I just don’t remember us having a line up of White, Demar, LMA, Gay, and Forbes to close out the games. I remember Patty closing out a lot of games tbh.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT4MVl9E7zM

First game of the season White is in the closing lineup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlFDGMqvvng

Second game of the season.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjBtDw7lfuU

Third game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, White closed a lot while DJM was working his way back. It's just that when Murray was closing, White wasn't and vice-versa.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://www.nba.com/stats/players/cl...12%2F31%2F2019

There same thing White finishes games. Your'e getting exposed man, just watch games. You won't know who closes games by looking at box scores.
    I was mostly wrong after looking back at it, but I figured out why my memory was what it was. Just by searching I found 5 games he was underutilized in the 4th quarter in the first quarter of the season. He was hurt 3 games. And he had low 4th quarter minutes in 3 other games that were complete blow outs so I didn't count those out of fairness to you.

Rockets he played 2 minutes in the 4th.
    Lakers they took him out at the 9 minute mark and put him back in with 1 minute to go and game over.
    Atlanta he didn't play the 4th at all. Was he hurt?? I don't know but he did play almost the entire 3rd quarter.
    Dallas he played 1 minute and Sacramento he played 3 minutes.
    5 games, plus the 3 he missed plus an additional 3 games where we got the brakes beat off of us. That's a total of 11 games (roughly half the first quarter of the season) which is probably why I remember him not really playing much in the 4th in the beginning of the season. Also looking back, White was invisible in a lot of games in the 4th quarter. I hope he comes out guns blazing to start the year once he's healthy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Basically, Murray was never that good of a player, but he's a guy that advanced stats likes. He got really overrated in 2017-2018, and folks thought that if you could get his "defense" and White's defense together, the Spurs could be a better team. What's been born out is actually that starting Murray is still an awful idea and that while he and White should've gotten minutes together, Pop's mistake was not keeping DJM on the bench for the year to "work his way back" while he ran with the hot-hand lineup from the previous year. He then could've seen that Murray wasn't a starting-caliber player and then just moved on quietly, or perhaps Murray could've settled in as a bench dynamo and been trade fodder. Then Pop should've had Forbes start while giving Lonnie chances to taking Bryn's spot.

Very few people want Murray to continue to start. Many want something like,

White, Mills
    Walker/Johnson/Vassell, Murray
    DeRozan, Johnson/Walker/Vassell
    Lyles/Gay
    Aldridge/Poeltl

In other words, very few people want to see the White/Murray duo start now since we saw it didn't work. Yet they want to act like Pop should regret not prioritizing that combo last year.
    I think the fact they gave him that extension and fell further in love with his character and how he defended the franchise after Kawhi sunk them (specially showing up to rehab and stay with the coaching staff all season learning from video sessions) made Pop commit harder to seat him back as a starter. They gave him a hefty contract. And while Dejounte’s skills were still super raw, he had moxie and crazy confidence. Meanwhile White, an older, more polished and skilled player lacked some confidence and hesitated. Pop unseating him from his prior role probably affected his confidence even if it happened subconsciously. Pop didn’t help either player with his choice and he easily could have explained Dejounte’s benching as him coming back, easier to manage his minutes etc. He was treated as a star, a proven starter because of that contract and Pop’s confidence in him. I was pretty happy when he got paid because he looked great in preseason and I expected him to sustain that (and with time build upon it and improve, not a crazy hope considering he had only really Gad a single full season back then—again in hindsight a small sample). But I have waffled and thought it was a mistake on hindsight but of course hindsight is always right. It’s not just that it was too much, but that it was pretty premature.

Anyways, that’s passed and Bryn is gone and hopefully Murray’s deal doesn’t hinder minutes for Vassell, White or Johnson when they are back.
    Last edited by SAGirl; 12-15-2020 at 02:37 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I do think we agree that White is the best of the trio. I also don't think Forbes is necessarily better than Murray. I just think people took the wrong lessons from last season. Pop should've gone with what he knew worked and then worked in Walker as soon as Lonnie was ready to hit corner threes. Instead he froze out Walker, benched White and stuck with the awful Murray/Forbes duo. He almost seemed intimidated by Murray and started him out of fear. Because, like, Murray was never a good starter. There was no reason to look at his 2017-2018 performance and go, "Yeah, he should get his job back.". Then they gave DJM a ton of money, which meant they had to start him this season too. Then they refused to trade him enough to his value was supposedly decent.

I just have a feeling that Murray's going to hold the team back again and basically kill Walker's career, and the thing ST will take from it again is that the roster is horrible and that Murray and White are a good starting duo.
    Agree that Pop was awful on multiple fronts last year. The bubble gave me hope but then players have been saying (isn’t Murray among them?) that he just let them play free and not scheme and do whatever.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So many eyes are going to be opened when Pop retires and a black cloud is lifted over the entire franchise

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tim Duncan made poop

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No game day thread? I'm no good at that otherwise I would make one. But c'mon man

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tim Duncan made poop
    Have been saying this for years.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So many eyes are going to be opened when Pop retires and a black cloud is lifted over the entire franchise
    Please stop........ 29 other teams are available for fandom! You don’t have to sit here and enjoy stability & success for two decades!! You deserve better hoss....

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tim Duncan made poop
    Most great coaches ride the success of great players ( you didn’t have to say it because pop always says it )!! Lol

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But you do realize plenty of great players never sniffed championships because of subpar coaching right?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Clowns on this board are the only ones hating on pop so hard.......the rest of the leagues/players/coaches must not be as smart as the few on this board, facts be damned!!������������������������������

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Clowns on this board are the only ones hating on pop so hard.......the rest of the leagues/players/coaches must not be as smart as the few on this board, facts be damned!!������������������������������
    ST has a lot of self-proclaimed basketball experts and they're all undefeated.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    subpar coaches can win with great players-poop might have screwed Duncan out of more chips.

and if poop is so great how come no good players want to come play for him.

Got no answer sniffers-not to that one.

That drunk ass saw something in Demarre Carrol and gave him a boat load of money

What a ing dumb ass poop is

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    subpar coaches can win with great players-poop might have screwed Duncan out of more chips.

and if poop is so great how come no good players want to come play for him.

Got no answer sniffers-not to that one.

That drunk ass saw something in Demarre Carrol and gave him a boat load of money

What a ing dumb ass poop is
    You can just as easily argue that Pop allowed Duncan to win a plethora of rings, which other coaches couldn't have accomplished. Even a greater talent in LeBum doesn't have as many - a bird in the hand...

Players not wanting to come play in middle-of-nowhere butt Texas town, small market SanAntonio has literally nothing to do with Pop (are you expecting FAs to start coming here once he retires? ).

Pop is not GM and isn't wholly responsible for DMC's signing (nor any signing, for better or worse, he shares the glory and blame with RC/Wright), though he of course is to blame for not playing him and whatnot. Has been discussed ad-nauseum, doesn't mean he's not a good coach whatsoever.

A good chunk of ST posters are irrationally and unnecessarily angry at Pop for the pettiest reasons, tbh. He isn't infallible and has never claimed to be. Yet he's a constant scapegoat here. Gets old.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You can just as easily argue that Pop allowed Duncan to win a plethora of rings, which other coaches couldn't have accomplished. Even a greater talent in LeBum doesn't have as many - a bird in the hand...

Players not wanting to come play in middle-of-nowhere butt Texas town, small market SanAntonio has literally nothing to do with Pop (are you expecting FAs to start coming here once he retires? ).

Pop is not GM and isn't wholly responsible for DMC's signing (nor any signing, for better or worse, he shares the glory and blame with RC/Wright), though he of course is to blame for not playing him and whatnot. Has been discussed ad-nauseum, doesn't mean he's not a good coach whatsoever.

A good chunk of ST posters are irrationally and unnecessarily angry at Pop for the pettiest reasons, tbh. He isn't infallible and has never claimed to be. Yet he's a constant scapegoat here. Gets old.
    You are arguing with someone who is calling a renowned Hall of Fame coach "poop" like a goddamn 5-year-old. This is the best they can come up with because they are simply trolling for a reaction.

Don't waste your time with these idiots.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

not to mention, that there are a few ST posters whose disdain for Pop just happened to coincide with Pop airing out his political views on the trump administration.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thinking that old drunk does not approve everything
    Playing Forbes
    Not able to handle #2
    Hitching his wagon to DDR
    Getting used by Morris giving away Davis signing Lyles (not bad given the cir stances WHICH he created) and Carroll
    The stench he is responsible for hangs over the young players holding them down.
    Yeah he great alright
    Great at coattailing off the a great one.
    Slurpers slurping for the said same political reasons stated
    It is what it is. Time will pass and he finally move on. Things will settle down then. He should have left with Tim like he said he was gonna do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You are arguing with someone who is calling a renowned Hall of Fame coach "poop" like a goddamn 5-year-old. This is the best they can come up with because they are simply trolling for a reaction.

You're absolutely right, tbh, it was just low hanging fruit... Hard to resist the bait.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Flopovich fits way better

Thread Information