Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You dont know what altruism means.
    My 'bull it doesn't' refers to the ya have to respect... and not the altruism (as you could've probably deduced by the predicate of my statement).

I could've worded that better, but I'm sure you won't accept this explanation. You're too crusty for that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Electricians have a more deadly job than police, do we exalt and mythologize them?

No.

The notion that what soldiers and policemen do is inherently more honorable than what anyone else does is bull .
    Being dressed up in the authority of the king will do that.

It is fascinating to watch a party that is ostensibly distrustful of government, and elevates the founders’ words (and thus, their distrust of government and, above all, the president) would be so slovenly in fawning over DJT.

Personally, it all seems to be about class, for the most part, to me anyways

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Electricians have a more deadly job than police, do we exalt and mythologize them?

No.

The notion that what soldiers and policemen do is inherently more honorable than what anyone else does is bull .
    Sounds like you haven't done anything honorable and feel ty about it. Leveling is a thing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Being dressed up in the authority of the king will do that.

It is fascinating to watch a party that is ostensibly distrustful of government, and elevates the founders’ words (and thus, their distrust of government and, above all, the president) would be so slovenly in fawning over DJT.

Personally, it all seems to be about class, for the most part, to me anyways
    What's fascinating is, with all that advanced education you don't get it that it has nothing to do with Trump. It's only about the people here. One side s with the other side. Trump is just a placeholder for "our guy".

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's fascinating is, with all that advanced education you don't get it that it has nothing to do with Trump. It's only about the people here. One side s with the other side. Trump is just a placeholder for "our guy".
    DJT embodies everything that the framers did not want in the president: a demagogue who consolidates power, openly flouts congress, and has no respect for the rule of law. Whether it’s Trump or Obama is irrelevant to the self avowed conservative ideology. That conservatives drop this ideology when it’s their guy only proves the point. If you had an advanced education, you’d know that. But I guess you’re too busy not having anything intelligent to say and crying crocodile tears over muh trupes

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    all my conspiracy makes perfect sense
    all your conspiracy is trash

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    all my conspiracy makes perfect sense
    all your conspiracy is trash
    Who you talking to?

Expound.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DJT embodies everything that the framers did not want in the president: a demagogue who consolidates power, openly flouts congress, and has no respect for the rule of law. Whether it’s Trump or Obama is irrelevant to the self avowed conservative ideology. That conservatives drop this ideology when it’s their guy only proves the point. If you had an advanced education, you’d know that. But I guess you’re too busy not having anything intelligent to say and crying crocodile tears over muh trupes
    Both sides drop the ideology when its their guy. That's the point. People here were voting for Hillary Clinton. That should tell you all you need to know. This is a place where people take turns lobbing bombs at each other. If tomorrow Iran said "no problem, we wanted the er dead anyhow" people here would be saying Trump is being controlled by Iran. So it doesn't matter what the facts are. This is all about spin and bombs.

But please, continue self fellating as if you're saving the in' world.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Both sides drop the ideology when its their guy. That's the point. People here were voting for Hillary Clinton. That should tell you all you need to know. This is a place where people take turns lobbing bombs at each other. If tomorrow Iran said "no problem, we wanted the er dead anyhow" people here would be saying Trump is being controlled by Iran. So it doesn't matter what the facts are. This is all about spin and bombs.

Umm not me, not hater. But you are just as much part of the tribalist team sports mentality that you claim to be against. I would be acting the exact same way if this was Bernie Sanders doing this .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Who? Me? Please name names. Back your claims up. You probably won’t because you can’t.

Never said I was saving anything. Unlike your bull concern for the troops.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember the Iraqi people celebrating Saddam Hussein's murder. I remember the Libyan people celebrating Gaddafi's murder. Look where they are now.

The real terrorists in the middle east are Israel and the United States. Before the creation of the Zionist state of Israel, there was peace in the middle east.

If Israel were to dissapear, terrorism as we know it would come to an end. ISIS was created by the Saudis and Israelis. #FACTS. Look it up.

The truth will prevail. The same cuckservatives that thought Iraq had WMD's ended up looking like fools 8 years later. The same lib s that celebrated Gadaffi's murder ended up looking like fools 8 years later via Wikileaks.

Today's Trumpsters like DMC Chris DarrinS koriwhat and possibly Spurtacular will end up looking like fools 8 years later.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who? Me? Please name names. Back your claims up. You probably won’t because you can’t.

Never said I was saving anything. Unlike your bull concern for the troops.
    So it's just banter, like I said.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So it's just banter, like I said.
    Thought so. That was a quick fold. The only banter here is the bull you’re spewing, much like your fake concern for the troops.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds like you haven't done anything honorable and feel ty about it. Leveling is a thing.
    Sure, make it about me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree that the risks associated with the job doesnt make it more honorable. But, recognizing that, I will still respect someone who takes a job where the description includes possibly taking a bullet for someone else and admire the risk they take. Altruism doesnt have to play a role to respect the potential sacrifice.

I'd rather a society that idolizes those more than our society that has the collective of Hollywood and major sports, up its arse as we see today.
    Perhaps it's preferable to idolize soldiers than entertainers, dunno.

I tend to doubt it's healthy for people to idolize others at all.

At any rate, admiration is in the eye of the beholder.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Muh government says Suleimani was a terrorist
    Muh pentagon says Suleimani was a terrosts
    Muh Trump says so

I believe them
    Deepstate good
    Trump drained the swamp

Chris DMC TSA

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    St Ronnie announced the oligarchy's strategy of "Govt isn't the solution, govt is the problem" 40 years ago.

Was anybody listening?

The oligarchy's EXRACTIVE "solution" to the "govt problem" is to privatize everything,

and block all taxpayer projects like Medicare-for-all, and privatize all govt property, esp land to be exploited to destruction.

How does the oligarchy plan to turn people against govt? by MISgovering so they can "prove" govt doesn't work, CAN'T work, and propagandizing that nothing good (For The People) can ever come from govt.

Everything must be privatized by Capitalists who offer the tiest possible product for the highest possible profit, eg, for-profit healthcare.

Part of the oligarchy's strategy is "create a reality" with Orwellian propaganda and LIES (eg Trash plays his part) so that their is total confusion and disagreement on facts (like science of AGW) into which storm the oligarchy

"The aide said that guys like me were "in what we call the reality-based community,"

which he defined as people who "believe that solutions emerge from your judicious study of discernible reality."

I nodded and murmured something about enlightenment principles and
    empiricism. He cut me off.

"That's not the way the world really works anymore."

He continued

"We're an empire now,
    and when we act,
    we create our own reality.
    And while you're studying that reality—judiciously, as you will—
    we'll act again, creating other new realities,
    which you can study too, and that's how things will sort out.
    We're history's actors …
    and you, all of you, will be left to just study what we do.""

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Karl_Rove

distrusting govt and the media is are fundamental multi-decade strategic objectives of the oligarchy taking over the country, now that they have rigged the economy and govt to provide they mind-boggling wealth which powers their strategy.

The anti-democratic, autocratic oligarchy and its authoritarian strategy are unstoppable.

America is ed and un able.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree that the risks associated with the job doesnt make it more honorable. But, recognizing that, I will still respect someone who takes a job where the description includes possibly taking a bullet for someone else and admire the risk they take. Altruism doesnt have to play a role to respect the potential sacrifice.

I'd rather a society that idolizes those more than our society that has the collective of Hollywood and major sports, up its arse as we see today.
    There's not a single segment of society that demands the rest of us conduct ourselves a certain way in specific situations to honor Hollywood and athletes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Perhaps it's preferable to idolize soldiers than entertainers, dunno.

I tend to doubt it's healthy for people to idolize others at all.

At any rate, admiration is in the eye of the beholder.
    It's telling that some of you (you included) morph "respect" with "idolizing". Straw man much?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's telling that some of you (you included) morph "respect" with "idolizing". Straw man much?
    Idolize, not respect, was the word used.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But, I'll accept the subs ution.

Police and armed forces are not intrinisically more honorable or worthy of respect than other trades.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Police and armed forces are not intrinsically more honorable or worthy of respect than other trades.
    and both play hugely oversized, glorified roles in American society, esp the adored military, propagandized/marketed very aggressively, but its corrupt self hasn't won since 1945

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Police and armed forces are not intrinisically more honorable or worthy of respect than other trades.
    So true. Those are jobs of last resort for many. So you end up with a mix of those that truly want to serve and those that can’t do anything else.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Give an example of a profession that would be more honorable than other professions. If you live in a country that doesn't use honor as a code, then nothing is honorable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So true. Those are jobs of last resort for many. So you end up with a mix of those that truly want to serve and those that can’t do anything else.
    It's the person and act that's honorable. I think some professions that include the concept of intrepidity are honorable professions, as you know when you volunteer that you could be put into that position. No one is required to honor you for it though.

As for respect:

Thread Information