Page 89 of 115 FirstFirst ... 397985868788899091929399 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,225 of 2866
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why didn’t he play in the bubble, until the last game, when they were eliminated? LMA was out. Lyles was out.
    Because he wouldve messed up the chemistry. He was least ready out of all the young guys. No one is untouchable except Keldon and White imo though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because he wouldve messed up the chemistry. He was least ready out of all the young guys. No one is untouchable except Keldon and White imo though.
    On a guard heavy team, Weatherspoon, a second rounder, played every game in the bubble. Every game. He’s on a two way contract, not even a full fledged NBAer.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man, i hope Luka is busy working on his craft but his IG just shows him fooling around with a woman
    i cant see a willingness to work hard in him. Whats more i doubt in his love to the game. Even during the bubbles games he was lost on the court and played like he didnt care. He looks like a spoiled boy who has a potential and talent but prefers to hanging out with ppl, doing tattoos, spendin money etc. I really dont mind to trade him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On a guard heavy team, Weatherspoon, a second rounder, played every game in the bubble. Every game. He’s on a two way contract, not even a full fledged NBAer.
    To be fair, he also has 4 yrs of college ball experience

And probably displays more maturity due to his age

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would think Killian Hayes should be the target if you’re moving up. He’s one of the younger prospects and has size and professional experience in his back pocket. If we do trade someone, I’d rather it be Walker (or Murray) and LMA.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why didn’t he play in the bubble, until the last game, when they were eliminated? LMA was out. Lyles was out.
    The whims of Pop? Get a last look at Eubanks? Doghouse for motivation? Lots of possibilities. Hard to guess with Pop. But I don’t see them trading Sam. When Pop traded Hill it was a yearlong con, starting in preseason, of pumping him up to inflate his value.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luka is also under contract for three more years. The players Pop played during the bubble were players fighting to stay in the league or trying to get another contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They knew he was raw when they picked him.

Him not playing in his 1st season was to be expected.

The Spurs obviously have a long term schedule he must adhere to before he cracks the rotation.

Giving up on him after the first year is ludicrous and won't happen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luka is also under contract for three more years. The players Pop played during the bubble were players fighting to stay in the league or trying to get another contract.
    Spurs have options on him for the next three seasons, plus QO restriction for year 5, but his actual contract is only for next season. Before next season, they will have to pick up his year 3 option, but don’t see this as money committed for 4 more seasons. It’s not.

White.
    DJ?
    Keldon?
    Lonnie?

These are players fighting to stay in the league?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs have options on him for the next three seasons, plus QO restriction for year 5, but his actual contract is only for next season. Before next season, they will have to pick up his year 3 option, but don’t see this as money committed for 4 more seasons. It’s not.

White.
    DJ?
    Keldon?
    Lonnie?

Eubanks
    Marco
    Poetl

Players trying to get a new contract

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

White.
    DJ?
    Keldon?
    Lonnie?

Luka's contract gives the Spurs flexibility (which RC said they value). The Spurs have less contractual flexibility with others, period. They also look for the the financial well-being of their players.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They knew he was raw when they picked him.

Him not playing in his 1st season was to be expected.

The Spurs obviously have a long term schedule he must adhere to before he cracks the rotation.

Giving up on him after the first year is ludicrous and won't happen.

That's totally true. I disagreed intensely with the pick. But now that they've made it, they would be dumb to do anything but stick with the plan. I don't think he's the wonder-boy that a lot of you do. But I also don't think he's a total washout after one season in the G-League.

I do think that after watching him for a year against G-League compe ion, people should have seen enough to re-think his expected ceiling. I've tried to figure out what his niche in the league looks like, but I don't think he's going to grow into a franchise player. I never did, but I really don't now.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's totally true. I disagreed intensely with the pick. But now that they've made it, they would be dumb to do anything but stick with the plan. I don't think he's the wonder-boy that a lot of you do. But I also don't think he's a total washout after one season in the G-League.

I do think that after watching him for a year against G-League compe ion, people should have seen enough to re-think his expected ceiling. I've tried to figure out what his niche in the league looks like, but I don't think he's going to grow into a franchise player. I never did, but I really don't now.
    That sounds like the best way to look at Luka now. Who was your preference at the time? Brandon Clarke? That was my wish.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Less than 5% of players become true franchise players. No one realistically expects that from a 19th pick, whether it was Luka or not. Its cliche but it must be said again: Luka is only 20 and still displays a set of skills that few or none of the 2020 draft class bigs possess.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The difference between a franchise guys and all stars is purely between the ears. I think Luka’s ceiling is somewhere between top flight starter and borderline All Star. He’ll never be ‘the guy’ to put a team on his back, and make a deep playoff run, or ring.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That sounds like the best way to look at Luka now. Who was your preference at the time? Brandon Clarke? That was my wish.

My big "sleeper" for most of last season was Chuma Okeke, but he broke out at the end of the season and even with that injury he went above the Spurs' pick. I was talking about Matisse Thybulle a full year before his draft. Back when there were analysts and writers questioning whether he was undraftable. I would have been happy if they picked him. I was also a fan of Brandon Clarke, and thought he was a no-brainer pick that far down. The difference is that I said all those things before the draft and not after. I thought those guys were NBA-ready, and had all the upside they needed to be a good value at 19. I also thought that there was a reasonable chance that at least one of them would still be on the board.

I think Samanic will probably develop into about what you would expect for a 19 pick. Maybe a little more, but maybe less. Those other guys (above) were much more of a sure thing in my mind. Their Expected Value was higher in my estimation. If Samanic turns into a top-tier player, he'll be worth the risk. Anything less, and the Spurs would have been better off taking Thybulle or Clarke.

This year I think Saddiq Bey is one of those same type of NBA-ready value picks. I'd take Vassell, and I can't help but like Tyrese Halliburton. Not as stars, but as solid pieces for a team. And I think that there's a reasonable chance that at least one of them will be on the board for the Spurs. I'm not sold on Pokusevski any more than I was Samanic. And I think 11 is way to early to take a probably career role player like Precious.

Come back this time next year, and we'll compare notes and see if any of that was right.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The difference between a franchise guys and all stars is purely between the ears. I think Luka’s ceiling is somewhere between top flight starter and borderline All Star. He’ll never be ‘the guy’ to put a team on his back, and make a deep playoff run, or ring.

What I have a hard time getting people to understand is that I'm talking about the draft, and not the player. The only reason I even talk about him right now is for context to this year's draft. Last year's draft is gone. Sammich is going to be who he's going to be.

Most of these supposedly high-upside picks are exactly like playing the lottery. I never play scratch-offs, because on most of them the payoff is too low for the gamble. Before the draft, I didn't think Samanic's upside was really as high as most people here were saying. Too much gamble for a payoff that isn't really that exceptional. For true believers in Samanic's upside, picking him makes perfect sense.

Even now, I would rather have Thybulle than Samanic. This year, I would rather the Spurs pick someone like Bey or even Vassell, rather than, say, Pokusevski. But... they're the ones who saw the huge upside in Kawhi when I didn't even know who the he was. All any of us are doing is trying to predict what the Spurs are going to pull out of their hats. Maybe a chance to say "I told you so" when we guess right.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All I want from this draft is to get a starting type of player anything above that is gravy tbh at 11th pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

No interview yet for Tyrell Terry for the Spurs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My big "sleeper" for most of last season was Chuma Okeke, but he broke out at the end of the season and even with that injury he went above the Spurs' pick. I was talking about Matisse Thybulle a full year before his draft. Back when there were analysts and writers questioning whether he was undraftable. I would have been happy if they picked him. I was also a fan of Brandon Clarke, and thought he was a no-brainer pick that far down. The difference is that I said all those things before the draft and not after. I thought those guys were NBA-ready, and had all the upside they needed to be a good value at 19. I also thought that there was a reasonable chance that at least one of them would still be on the board.

I think Samanic will probably develop into about what you would expect for a 19 pick. Maybe a little more, but maybe less. Those other guys (above) were much more of a sure thing in my mind. Their Expected Value was higher in my estimation. If Samanic turns into a top-tier player, he'll be worth the risk. Anything less, and the Spurs would have been better off taking Thybulle or Clarke.

This year I think Saddiq Bey is one of those same type of NBA-ready value picks. I'd take Vassell, and I can't help but like Tyrese Halliburton. Not as stars, but as solid pieces for a team. And I think that there's a reasonable chance that at least one of them will be on the board for the Spurs. I'm not sold on Pokusevski any more than I was Samanic. And I think 11 is way to early to take a probably career role player like Precious.

Come back this time next year, and we'll compare notes and see if any of that was right.
    I thought Okeke had Spur written all over him and was hoping he'd fall to us, too. Brandon Clarke was a head-scratcher to pass up, but, Keldon has been a godsend.

Samanic just doesn't seem to have the drive, no fire in his eyes. That tends to fuel growth and I hope I'm wrong. Makes me wonder what the Spurs were so high on with him.

The draft should prove to be one of the strangest ever with all the extenuating cir stances. The extra time might help some organizations. Guess we'll see in November.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obviously we don't know the veracity of it, but if true . . .

- Not being open to trading Murray makes no sense, nor does DeRozan being a non starter in discussions, or not looking to blow it up (but being open to moving Aldridge, which is contradictory), but as usual ego and inertia wins the day.

- Interest in Okongwu and Wiseman seemingly lends more credence to the notion of their not being all in on Poeltl.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Speculating which players could be on the trade block based on Pop's rotations this season is kind of whack, tbh. This is the same Pop that wasn't even playing Lonnie half the games at the beginning of the season, putting him in the doghouse, benching White in favor of DJ when it wasn't earned, and absolutely refusing to play the most obviously defensive-upside lineup on a team that was bleeding points all season long. I'll take the bubble rotations with a grain of salt, especially in regards to the future of a rookie...

Now, if you tell me Patty could be on the trade block - yeah, I can see the reasoning to that.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

- Not being open to trading Murray makes no sense, nor does DeRozan being a non starter in discussions, or not looking to blow it up (but being open to moving Aldridge, which is contradictory), but as usual ego and inertia wins the day.

- Interest in Okongwu and Wiseman seemingly lends more credence to the notion of their not being all in on Poeltl.
    sounds exactly like spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I think Poeltl's stock understandably went down a lot with the bubble games. The Spurs needed to rely on him since our other bigs were out, Jakob had been playing very little minutes during the season and wanted a bigger role/opportunity, and he finally gets it with months of rest/train and LMA out for the bubble... And he squandered it. And it wasn't so much that he played horribly, but he just couldn't even stay on the floor against the more physical centers. I think it's safe to say that the Spurs view him, and his contract negotiations, in a different light after the restart, which is good for them tbh. Poeltl just doesn't fit the modern game too well, even though I like his game.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah his play screwed him out of a couple of million dollars I bet he wants to roll that back as it definitely will impact his new contract. I am OK with keeping him but he showed he is not ready to be a starter and to be honest I don’t know if he ever will be as he has ZERO offensive moves which in this day and age is a player killer.

Thread Information