My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    - Size

- Speed

- Shooting

- Consistency

- Collective IQ

The Lakers won last year by been the best at all categories (- shooting)

Lakers / Bucks / 76ers / Nets / Utah / Clippers / Suns

The best teams have at least 3 of the 5 today.

The Spurs of today is lacking in Size, Shooting and Collective IQ
    You can't win consistently if you only have the Speed advantage.

We are not consistent enough.
    We can play with more size but seldom do it.
    We have decent shooters that play less than non shooting players.
    We don't have enough collective IQ. Dieng might help a bit on Size, Shooting and C IQ but he is not enough.
    We use speed without purpose.
    We will be 6th at best or out of the playoffs again.
    Pelicans, Kings and Memphis have more or combine their advantages better than we are doing now.

We are a less than capable team with a dated coach.
    Without Demar, we would be even worse. He is the only consistent player with enough size and IQ to score even when well defended.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Signing Zaza.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd say you need at least on HOF talent in their prime. To me, that's the minimum historically. But now a days, you need shooting for sure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So essentially, bigger, faster, better? And then we get better?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A top 8 net rating and you have a chance.

Why not?
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd say you need at least on HOF talent in their prime. To me, that's the minimum historically. But now a days, you need shooting for sure.
    Maybe not in their prime, but as long as they're not a s of themselves, you can win. It's what the Spurs have been missing since Kawhi left. Demar's a great player but not a HOF. And I'm not entirely sure you need that much shooting. The Lakers were not a good shooting team last year and won because of how good they are defensively.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2 top 5 players in the league on the same team should do it
    AD Lebron or KD and Harden

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    HOF talent, top 5 players--similar idea. As for shooting, I would argue that a top 5 talent usually doesn't have glaring holes in their game, such as shooting. Our last le team had 4 HOF players, but none of them really were in their prime, though maybe Parker was barely late prime. But I digress.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hmmm interesting points. I also think scoring more points than your opponent is a huge part of winning; due to a strong offensive effort or because your defense is better resulting in them scoring less. Hopefully PATFO is reading this thread and taking notes. We seem to be onto something here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    “Without Demar we would be even worse”

Oh, honey. I know there’s some out there who think a ball dominant offensive player who is demonstrably a negative defensively or without the ball in his hands is the only thing keeping this team out of the top 5 picks of the draft but it’s literally the exact opposite.

Demar on the floor- team gives up a lot of points per 100 possessions

Demar sits- team scores more points than the other team

it’s been this way for Demar almost his whole career for one reason or another. Can’t speak to all the factors that led to his famous on/off woes in Toronto- but here it’s clear his fit offensively is redundant and defensively he’s one of the worst perimeter players in the nba.

He’s Jordan Clarkson getting lebron james usage.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Size - I think we have good size, especially at guard positions. Also with the addition of Dieng 6’10 7’4 wingspan. But Keldon playing PF gets overpowered sometimes. Put him in SF and for sure Spurs are big

Speed - Definitely have the speed, but Demar stops at half court to survey. This team is very capable of running for sure. It’s the type of play that they choose is not maximizing their speed

Shooting - Except for Poeltl and Keldon, yes. Demar can shoot but is reluctant. But we have personell who can. Luka, Vassell, Lonnie and now Dieng, of course Patty, Rudy and Detrick.

Consistency - Poor. Spurs are night and day. This team is lost in its character. I think they can be fast but forced to slow down, while they don’t have the personnell/shooters for a half court offense. They do, but they’re not in the starting line-up.

Collective IQ - Rather, high bball iq players. Hmmm. I think they have experienced players. And very experienced coaching staff. But they get confused with their iden y. DJ is a combo guard and should focus more on scoring. He should force the tempo, transition offense. Half court should be on Derrick or Demar’s hand. I think this team can be very good defensively and should focus on defense to create transition offense. They have long athletic guards who can rebound and run. I thought that’s what Pop was saying after the Bubble. But again it’s over reliance on the vets and slowing the tempo

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Size - I think we have good size, especially at guard positions. Also with the addition of Dieng 6’10 7’4 wingspan. But Keldon playing PF gets overpowered sometimes. Put him in SF and for sure Spurs are big

Speed - Definitely have the speed, but Demar stops at half court to survey. This team is very capable of running for sure. It’s the type of play that they choose is not maximizing their speed

Shooting - Except for Poeltl and Keldon, yes. Demar can shoot but is reluctant. But we have personell who can. Luka, Vassell, Lonnie and now Dieng, of course Patty, Rudy and Detrick.

Consistency - Poor. Spurs are night and day. This team is lost in its character. I think they can be fast but forced to slow down, while they don’t have the personnell/shooters for a half court offense. They do, but they’re not in the starting line-up.

Collective IQ - Rather, high bball iq players. Hmmm. I think they have experienced players. And very experienced coaching staff. But they get confused with their iden y. DJ is a combo guard and should focus more on scoring. He should force the tempo, transition offense. Half court should be on Derrick or Demar’s hand. I think this team can be very good defensively and should focus on defense to create transition offense. They have long athletic guards who can rebound and run. I thought that’s what Pop was saying after the Bubble. But again it’s over reliance on the vets and slowing the tempo
    To me, our biggest problem is our roster combinations.
    KJ is not a 4 nor big enough nor agile enough to do his job.He would be more effective as a 3.
    This team should not have more than 1 bad defender on the court.
    If we play Demar, KJ should not see the court. Even Mills should be questioned to spend time on court with Demar.

I agree with you.
    Murray should be a 2 and get his offense more polished.
    White and Demar should start the offense.
    we have big guards but 4 big guards are not big enough to help Poeltl on defense.
    We need Luka or Gay at 4 for most of the games.

We must stop either close shots or the 3-point shot.
    We are not doing great at neither.
    Perimeter scoring is a problem too.
    More size at the 4 could help.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    demar derozan,tbh

great guy, but worst possible fit for a #1 on this squad

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hmmm interesting points. I also think scoring more points than your opponent is a huge part of winning; due to a strong offensive effort or because your defense is better resulting in them scoring less. Hopefully PATFO is reading this thread and taking notes. We seem to be onto something here.
    sh!t forgot to #hashtag #sarcasm so timvp doesn't take this literally.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not so sure I'd say the Spurs are strong in the shooting department. Right now, Utah as 6 players who qualify for the Top 100 for 3pt%. The Clippers have 7, the Bucks also have 6. The Spurs have 2-- Mills and Gay, both bench players. Vassell has the best 3pt% on the team, but doesn't play enough minutes to qualify. DeRozan is the worst 3pt shooter, and leads the team in minutes played.

Thread Information