Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boasberg's ruling on the case wasn't made from the FISC and was made in his other capacity as a District Court judge.

Papadapolous got a harsher punishment for doing far less Clinesmith was 100% taken care of. The general public wasn't following this closely and probably didn't even know who Clinesmith was, what he was charged with, and what his sentence was.
    The entire situation was a stain on the FISC/FBI/DOJ. A FISA warrant was obtained illegally on a US citizen to spy on the Trump transition team and then the incoming President and not a single person saw jail time. Let that sink in.
    Damn, more admissions that Trump was completely feckless.

Should I still be buckled up, sweetie?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boasberg's ruling on the case wasn't made from the FISC and was made in his other capacity as a District Court judge.

Papadapolous got a harsher punishment for doing far less Clinesmith was 100% taken care of. The general public wasn't following this closely and probably didn't even know who Clinesmith was, what he was charged with, and what his sentence was.
    The entire situation was a stain on the FISC/FBI/DOJ. A FISA warrant was obtained illegally on a US citizen to spy on the Trump transition team and then the incoming President and not a single person saw jail time. Let that sink in.
    you're the one who brought up him being on FISC as the reason for his supposed bias, so whats the point you are making by pointing out that he was acting in his capacity as district court judge?

none of this still follows from your point that this was done to protect the reputation of FISC when if anything, handing down a harsher sentence would have been more evidence of that. again, clinesmith wasn't forking for FISC, so why would this be FISC "protecting their own"

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

T S A

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You are right, they are not at all similar in scope or scale

A FISA warrant is the most intrusive form of surveillance the government can use. The illegally obtained FISA warrant gave them access to far more then just Carter Page, and the access they had to surveil was far more intrusive then the subpoenaed metadata of Schiff and Swalwell.

"These do ents also tell us the FISC routinely includes authorization in their warrants for the government to surveil people in contact with their target, and people in contact with the contact; in a scheme referred to as “chaining,” these authorizations will include 2 or 3 “hops.” While the text of the Carter Page warrant application, and court approval, remain a secret, one shudders to think this authority was used to spy upon other members of the Trump campaign team who were in contact with Page. (The memo of the House intelligence committee’s Democrats about the warrant suggests that some unknown number of Trump campaign advisors were the subject of FBI “sub-inquiries.”)

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinio...all-ncna852131

Just shut the up already. You have no clue what you are talking about and are a complete hypocrite.
    Not going to shut up. Asked you for clarification to understand what you are talking about. Thank you.

Personally, I am very much opposed to law enforcement lying to get warrants, and said so at the time.

Page wasn't even working with the campaign at the time he was "spied on" was he?

Did Obama personally push for this? Yes or no will do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

DOJ asked apple for Adam Schiff's data. Directly.

Do you think it is ok for the executive branch to spy on high ranking members of congress?

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    you're the one who brought up him being on FISC as the reason for his supposed bias, so whats the point you are making by pointing out that he was acting in his capacity as district court judge?

none of this still follows from your point that this was done to protect the reputation of FISC when if anything, handing down a harsher sentence would have been more evidence of that. again, clinesmith wasn't forking for FISC, so why would this be FISC "protecting their own"
    FBI/DOJ work hand in hand with the FISC. Boasberg was protecting the FISC and Clinesmith. His rationale for not putting him in prison was a joke.

"A former F.B.I. lawyer who has admitted doctoring an email during preparations to seek renewed court permission to wiretap a former Trump campaign aide during the Russia investigation was sentenced on Friday to one year of probation and 400 hours of community service — but no prison time.

Prosecutors led by John H. Durham, a special counsel scrutinizing the government’s actions in the Russia investigation, had asked the judge overseeing the high-profile case against the former F.B.I. lawyer, Kevin Clinesmith, to impose several months of prison time.

But the judge, James E. Boasberg of the Federal District Court for the District of Columbia, said the destruction of Mr. Clinesmith’s career — and being vilified in a “media hurricane” — had already provided significant punishment and sent a deterrent message.

“Anybody who has watched what Mr. Clinesmith has suffered is not someone who will readily act in that fashion,” Judge Boasberg said. “Weighing all of these factors together — both in terms of the damages he caused and what he has suffered and the positives in his own life — I believe a probationary sentence is appropriate here and will therefore impose it.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/29/u...probation.html

Compared to Papadapolous sentence do you think Clinesmith was treated more favorably?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RG getting destroyed up in here

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TSA still not saying he's against Trump's spying.

DMC will never express an opinion as well.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FBI/DOJ work hand in hand with the FISC. Boasberg was protecting the FISC and Clinesmith. His rationale for not putting him in prison was a joke.

"A former F.B.I. lawyer who has admitted doctoring an email during preparations to seek renewed court permission to wiretap a former Trump campaign aide during the Russia investigation was sentenced on Friday to one year of probation and 400 hours of community service — but no prison time.

Prosecutors led by John H. Durham, a special counsel scrutinizing the government’s actions in the Russia investigation, had asked the judge overseeing the high-profile case against the former F.B.I. lawyer, Kevin Clinesmith, to impose several months of prison time.

But the judge, James E. Boasberg of the Federal District Court for the District of Columbia, said the destruction of Mr. Clinesmith’s career — and being vilified in a “media hurricane” — had already provided significant punishment and sent a deterrent message.

“Anybody who has watched what Mr. Clinesmith has suffered is not someone who will readily act in that fashion,” Judge Boasberg said. “Weighing all of these factors together — both in terms of the damages he caused and what he has suffered and the positives in his own life — I believe a probationary sentence is appropriate here and will therefore impose it.”

Compared to Papadapolous sentence do you think Clinesmith was treated more favorably?
    it wouldnt be protecting the FISC to allow people to manipulate them for warrants and then let them get away with it. no the FISC works with the DOJ/FBI... they go to them for warrants. same with judges and law enforcement in general, but that doesnt mean judges enjoy getting misled in order to get their signature, and would go out of their way to protect the very people who misled them

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was just checking assholes.
    he just had to look in a mirror, that would have been quicker.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Why would the FISC protect Clinesmith? He was not a FISC employee.

Papadapolous was a completely different story. He lied numerous times to investigators and didn't provide assistance into the investigation either, despite his guilty plea.

The FISC shouldn't exist in our system, period. Secret courts in general should not. That kind of abomination with lack of oversight opens itself up for abuse.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TSA still not saying he's against Trump's spying.

DMC will never express an opinion as well.
    #stillwithhim

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Papadapolous was a completely different story. He lied numerous times to investigators and didn't provide assistance into the investigation either, despite his guilty plea.

The FISC shouldn't exist in our system, period. Secret courts in general should not. That kind of abomination with lack of oversight opens itself up for abuse.
    Agreed for the most part. We still need specialized courts to handle classified stuff, but really really need some very solid oversight.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    it wouldnt be protecting the FISC to allow people to manipulate them for warrants and then let them get away with it. no the FISC works with the DOJ/FBI... they go to them for warrants. same with judges and law enforcement in general, but that doesnt mean judges enjoy getting misled in order to get their signature, and would go out of their way to protect the very people who misled them
    The FISC was manipulated and the people who manipulated were not punished in the least bit. What would you call that?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The FISC was manipulated and the people who manipulated were not punished in the least bit. What would you call that?
    poor evidence of the FISC protecting itself

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agreed for the most part. We still need specialized courts to handle classified stuff, but really really need some very solid oversight.
    No we don't. Our justice system has rules already in place to handle such situations, like in-camera review. Completely unnecessary.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    Not going to shut up. Asked you for clarification to understand what you are talking about. Thank you.

Personally, I am very much opposed to law enforcement lying to get warrants, and said so at the time.

Page wasn't even working with the campaign at the time he was "spied on" was he?

Did Obama personally push for this? Yes or no will do.
    You should just shut the up about it as it's clear you have no clue what you are talking about. You stupidly think a subpoena for metadata of members of congress who were suspected of leaking classified information is worse than the FBI/DOJ lying to the FISC to obtain the most intrusive form of surveillance on a Trump team member in order to spy on him and everyone one of his contacts, and his contacts contacts, past or present.

I don't know if Obama personally pushed for it but it wouldn't surprise me. He already lied about never discussing ongoing investigations with the FBI, if he didn't personally push for it I'm sure he was aware of it and had no problem with it.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count

What Clinesmith did to the FISC and Carter Page was far worse than what Papadapolous did yet he didn't spend a minute in jail.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    poor evidence of the FISC protecting itself
    Why weren't those who lied to and manipulated the FISC punished?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Inept Trump DOJ, tbh

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    DOJ asked apple for Adam Schiff's data. Directly.

Do you think it is ok for the executive branch to spy on high ranking members of congress?
    Schiff was credibly accused of leaking classified information. Schiff was the ranking member of the senate intelligence committee and James Wolfe the director of security for the senate intelligence committee was charged with leaking classified information.
    I am okay with the executive branch sending a subpoena for Schiff's metadata if they had reason to believe he was leaking classified information and it was properly predicated.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spying OK when Trump does it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    well, he was punished, just not with the sentence you wanted. he got the low end of the federal sentencing guidelines. and the judge has his reasoning.

while i personally think its stupid to have victims of crimes have any say in the sentencing, the judge also, in part, deferred to carter page's statement which did not ask for clinesmith to be improsoned

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    anything the Dems did wrong

pales in comparison with the destructive multiple crimes by Trash, his mafiya, the 1/6 Capitol rapists, and the ongoing coverups by the Repugs and rightwing hate media

There simply is no comparison, no equivalence, so RWNJs should S T F U

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Republicans move to block inquiry into Trump DoJ’s secret data seizure

Top Republicans are moving to block a Senate inquiry into the Trump justice department’s secret seizure of data from Democrats to hunt down leaks of classified information, fearing a close investigation could damage the former president.

https://news.yahoo.com/republicans-m...070023501.html

-----------------------

Per par. Protect Cheetolini at all costs. Party over country.

Thread Information