Page 12 of 115 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262112 ... LastLast
    Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Just because they have a bunch of random young guys, it's not like they're set for the future. They're in the process of determining which are keepers, but higher upside youth is required.

Haliburton probably has it and Maledon debatably does, but they're 6-7 years younger. Since he can be replaced by a significantly younger archetype, it's worth it to at least look into trading White.

Unless they luck into a do it all wing (good luck) to alleviate the scoring/play making burden, as a tandem, Murray and White lack offensive dynamism.

The decision will likely be between Murray and White and they might have already made it by committing to Murray.

White's situation is similar to Hill's. Near ideal Spur (minus the lack of assertiveness), but cir stances could be conspiring to cut his tenure short.

Walker is the only one who looks like a possible go-to scorer.
    Walker is also too timid. We might need to trade all 3 of them of if we somehow get tempting value for them. I'm leaning against the idea of either of them ever being noteworthy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Walker is also too timid. We might need to trade all 3 of them of if we somehow get tempting value for them. I'm leaning against the idea of either of them ever being noteworthy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dumb take.

They need to hope that two or three of the group (Murray, White, Walker, Samanic and Johnson) emerges into solid building blocks, but I doubt all three guards will be moved.

Especially, when their plenty of other players (Belinelli, Forbes, Gay, Aldridge and DeRozan) that should/could leave or be moved. The team needs to find elite talent (which this draft has very little) and depleting their stock of young talent in a weak draft won't help.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would rather trade DEROZZ to get a pick or a good PF or both. The reason is that DEROZZ is so ball dominating player that it stunts the young players growth. Only way to figure out what we have is they all need to be playing max minutes to see what we truly have baptism by fire.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Every time i hear someone mention we should trade Walker, plus a few picks to move up a few spots in the draft. i cringe.....Why?

If walker was in this draft, he'd be a top 5 pick, Potentially top 1.

Walker has a higher upside than everyone in this draft

we've seen what Walker can bring (there's room to improve) compared to this unknowns.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Lonnie has all the potential in the world but y’all need to chill about not trading him, he’s had 1 really good game and to say he would be a top 5 pick in this draft is crazy. Did everybody forget his injury concerns? Lol I’m not saying we should trade him either but Calm your man ties

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NBC Sports has Spurs picking Tyrese Maxey..a 6'2" SG....watch them get it right

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    NBC Sports has Spurs picking Tyrese Maxey..a 6'2" SG....watch them get it right
    that

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    God I hope that doesn’t become true.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Lonnie has all the potential in the world but y’all need to chill about not trading him, he’s had 1 really good game and to say he would be a top 5 pick in this draft is crazy. Did everybody forget his injury concerns? Lol I’m not saying we should trade him either but Calm your man ties
    Truth

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    27 days until we know where we pick... Maybe.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can agree with you on that, my preference is to let our youth playing more next year and then make a choice but that's not easy as white will Be fa.

White will be restricted though and shouldn't break the bank.

They don't have to make a decision now and maybe not period. I just think it'd be prudent to start considering it.

He is and I'm also leaning the same way, but it's too early to render a verdict.

The thing is, Murray and Walker are currently more valuable to the Spurs than the rest of the league. Meaning, no one is giving up a high lottery pick for either. Maybe packaging one with 11 gets them a handful of spots higher; but should a team about to enter a rebuild be trading 2 for 1 when the latter doesn't project to be a star?

White is different. He's older, currently better and the type who could either help a good team or a team trying to compete. There's also similar types projected to be available around 11, which is why I keep bringing him up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We are either picking the German PG or the French PG. Whichever one falls to us.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We are either picking the German PG or the French PG. Whichever one falls to us.
    honestly both those guys look pretty good lol I don’t want a guard since we have a million already but there not bad especially Killian Hayes

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

White will be restricted though and shouldn't break the bank.
    That’s the thing with White. People are quick to trade him but you’re not going to return anything greater at his price tag.

Sure you might be able to package up and land something that has potential but I’d rather have a solid rotation player on a good contract than to roll the dice hoping that they strike gold on another mid level project. We’re better off rolling the dice in other areas.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In a rebuilding context, White's salary is irrelevant. Definitely, if the Spurs' plan is to hit on a lotto pick that will somehow solidify the DMDR/Gay/LMA core into a contender, then having a solid role-player like White on a cheap deal is great. But if you're talking about core pieces, either White's going to be cheap or he's going to be a building block -- he's not going to be both, not in the long term anyway. A strong role-player just doesn't compare to a legit star. I'd rather be paying a legit star the max than having good-value guys but no stars.

You definitely don't trade Derrick just because, but if the Spurs get up in a position where BPA is a PG and have a team on the phone willing to trade a mid-first for White, I think you make that deal. Hopefully for White, it'd lead to him finding a really good home for the rest of his prime. Then the Spurs could roll with that new guard, Murray, Walker, Mills and Weatherspoon as their smalls and target a defensive four with their other first. Then they can roll out DeRozan, that forward, Aldridge, Gay and Poeltl to fill in their 10-man rotation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s relevant from the standpoint that most teams, especially the Spurs, tend to overpay 2nd and 3rd tier players in order to sell the idea that they’re landing FA’s and upgrading.

I’d rather them lock up White than package up for say a 15-20 pick and then bite off a crappy contract on a flashy player with curb appeal in order to sell the perception that they’ve moved up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s relevant from the standpoint that most teams, especially the Spurs, tend to overpay 2nd and 3rd tier players in order to sell the idea that they’re landing FA’s and upgrading.
    Nah, it's irrelevant because a team without stars should have enough "free money" to where a role-player being cheap doesn't make a difference.

I’d rather them lock up White than package up for say a 15-20 pick and then bite off a crappy contract on a flashy player with curb appeal in order to sell the perception that they’ve moved up.
    This is a weird scenario. The Spurs are already at 11 and are very unlikely to draft lower than 12, provided the regular season doesn't start again. Getting a pick between 15 and 20 isn't moving up. It'd be a whole new pick, with 11 or whatever the team's natural pick is being a separate thing. It would be hard to sell the Spurs trade 11 and White for 15. But drafting Haliburton or Edwards for whichever other top guard and then trading White for McDaniels or Bey or Toppin is an easier sell for more reason than just sticker appeal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah, it's irrelevant because a team without stars should have enough "free money" to where a role-player being cheap doesn't make a difference.

This is a weird scenario. The Spurs are already at 11 and are very unlikely to draft lower than 12, provided the regular season doesn't start again. Getting a pick between 15 and 20 isn't moving up. It'd be a whole new pick, with 11 or whatever the team's natural pick is being a separate thing. It would be hard to sell the Spurs trade 11 and White for 15. But drafting Haliburton or Edwards for whichever other top guard and then trading White for McDaniels or Bey or Toppin is an easier sell for more reason than just sticker appeal.
    I meant for an additional pick. As much as some here think it’s possible to move up I honestly don’t think there’s much on our roster that moves the needle enough to move up with any significance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They should not be DOING ANYTHING that involves Derozan, LMA or Rudy in the calculus. They are irrelevant for the future and whether they stay one more year or not you do not factor them in at all to your decision making regarding roster construction.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I meant for an additional pick. As much as some here think it’s possible to move up I honestly don’t think there’s much on our roster that moves the needle enough to move up with any significance.
    I think we all agree that the only realistic way for SA to move up is by getting lucky in the lottery. It wouldn't surprise me to see teams have wildly different boards, though, given the lack of a combine and individual workouts. Not only could that mean that some other team may be willing to move down due to not trusting any top prospects, but the Spurs might also have their target fall to them. I'd say White has similar value to Hill in 2011. Some team might well see him as being better than anyone in the class, especially a team like Phoenix, Orlando and Minny who have plenty of youth but lack steady hands. I don't see trading White to move up as ideal at all, but the Spurs have to trust their staff, and if a blue-chipper falls far enough again, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs could also trade up from #11 by adding an asset.

I can't think of what asset that the Spurs would be willing to give up and the team at #8 would be willing to accept, though.
    They only asset I can think of is DeMar (sign and trade).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They only asset I can think of is DeMar (sign and trade).
    I dont think moving up will be that hard in this draft at all compared others.

If SA was willing to offer a lottery protected first + 11 I think they could easily move up 3 spots for example (11 to 8). Will they and should they pay that price to do so? That’s another story.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If SA was willing to offer a lottery protected first + 11 I think they could easily move up 3 spots for example (11 to 8). Will they and should they pay that price to do so? That’s another story.
    Sure, that's probably true, good point, but if we don't trade a big contract, we will be at 118mi payroll without paying Jakob, Forbes that can be as high as another 12mi, bringing the total to 130mi and the salary cap will probably go down, and the team lost lots of money this year, and they are not to be frugal so I don't see them wanting to pay $4mi for a rookie player, unless they are really sure he can contribute right away, but then again even if that is the case, they would then need to trade a young player to make space for that pick otherwise we will have way too many young players, nine to be exact.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The draft this year is very even from 5-20. No point in spending an asset to move up a couple of spots. Unless you can get into the top 4, stay put, and draft BPA.

Thread Information