Page 24 of 62 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pounding the rock.com has an article on Luka and the g league team.

https://www.poundingtherock.com/2021...aysayers-wrong
    Are we allowed to do that? Link to a better site?

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Luka keeps playing well, and Lyles, on average, keeps stinking up the joint, then we might see some Luka later after the Bubble. *Might*

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Luka keeps playing well, and Lyles, on average, keeps stinking up the joint, then we might see some Luka later after the Bubble. *Might*
    Maybe we'll see Trey get DeMarre Carolled.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If his at ude becomes cancerous then yes. Especially because he is owed no money past this year.

For that very reason, though, I can see the Spurs keeping him around as ballast for salary-matching purposes in a trade. The other team wouldn't even have to keep him, though taking a flier on him might be worth it for them given the very low risk, meaning Lyles might have a very slight positive value as a trade asset. Emphasis on might.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think we already have. He hasn’t played much more this year than Carroll did last year

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think we already have. He hasn’t played much more this year than Carroll did last year
    I meant the second part of what happened to Carroll.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stunning that Trey Lyles is the same inept player not worth court time that he was at Utah and then Denver.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stunning that Trey Lyles is the same inept player not worth court time that he was at Utah and then Denver.
    I would say more expected than stunning, but right on.
    Maybe you're being ironic and I didn't get it.

I can be dense like that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I meant the second part of what happened to Carroll.
    Yeah, probably not. COVID depth is a must. It would be dumb to cut him and then come up short on the 8 man requirement one night.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just watched the compressed game. Luka looks good on offense, not so much on defense to me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The counter is that Pop may already have his rotations basically set, and barring injury, if Lyles isn't really seeing the court, then neither will Luka.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just watched the compressed game. Luka looks good on offense, not so much on defense to me.
    Condensed games show made shots only. So naturally you saw all the players from the other team make all their shots against Luka and think Luka sucks

I thought he played solid D in game 3. His best so far was in game 2. But his performance altogether on defense is definitely better than last year. Much more awareness and less silly fouls.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Had high hopes for this guy. Has all of the physical tools needed in modern nba. Can’t seem to put it together though. Hoping he surprises me and turns into something.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Had high hopes for this guy. Has all of the physical tools needed in modern nba. Can’t seem to put it together though. Hoping he surprises me and turns into something.
    Haven’t been watching the Gubble I see

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The counter is that Pop may already have his rotations basically set, and barring injury, if Lyles isn't really seeing the court, then neither will Luka.
    Luka shows he can score and especially connect from 3’s. He needs to continue improving on his defense, coral the rebounds and that would earn him minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Luka shows he can score and especially connect from 3’s. He needs to continue improving on his defense, coral the rebounds and that would earn him minutes.
    Yeah and it's not like Trey and Luka are the same type of player either. Trey can get creative with his drives, but I think where Luka has the leg up is his explosiveness to the basket. Trey really just goes one speed all the time. Honestly, sometimes it looks like watching Kyle Anderson out there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah and it's not like Trey and Luka are the same type of player either. Trey can get creative with his drives, but I think where Luka has the leg up is his explosiveness to the basket. Trey really just goes one speed all the time. Honestly, sometimes it looks like watching Kyle Anderson out there.
    It’s hard to take minutes away from the Blocks Brothers Jakob and Drew (and eventual return of Aldridge , not a big fan). I see Luka backing Keldon/Gay. Luka is starting to suit as stretch 4.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s hard to take minutes away from the Blocks Brothers Jakob and Drew (and eventual return of Aldridge , not a big fan). I see Luka backing Keldon/Gay. Luka is starting to suit as stretch 4.
    For sure. Keldon can even slide down to 3 if we need minutes from both him and Luka.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For sure. Keldon can even slide down to 3 if we need minutes from both him and Luka.
    I think KJ will be better as a 3. I think him playing up is part of what is tiring him out. He can do it but when he does it for long stretches he gets tired. I want DDR moved but this is another reason I want him moved.

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes Keldon is a 3.

Part of our problem as a team over the last few years is that we are always trying to play people out of position. Keldon is barely the size of a 3. He's not a 4.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The reason he (Keldon) plays 4 is his advantage as a defender is through the utilization of his strength. 2s and 3s nowadays are soft as a feather and rarely try to bully their way to the rim. Keldon is our only player who can act as a wall against stronger guys instead of being bulldozed / abused by those guys.

Just look at how Christian Wood did against him, for example.

*I'm not advocating for him to play 4 full-time, but to say he shouldn't play any minutes there is flat out wrong. This isn't your 2000's basketball.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 02-14-2021 at 02:28 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That’s the “dream” lineup, right?:

Yak
    Luka
    KJ
    White
    DJ

Assuming Luka pans out. Not everyone does, but if I had to sacrifice Lonnie to the basketball gods on the condition that Luka makes the leap...regrettably I would do it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The reason he (Keldon) plays 4 is his advantage as a defender is through the utilization of his strength. 2s and 3s nowadays are soft as a feather and rarely try to bully their way to the rim. Keldon is our only player who can act as a wall against stronger guys instead of being bulldozed / abused by those guys.

Just look at how Christian Wood did against him, for example.

*I'm not advocating for him to play 4 full-time, but to say he shouldn't play any minutes there is flat out wrong. This isn't your 2000's basketball.
    Right, but it has clearly slowed him down (motor wise) having to "bang," rebound and playing inside. I don't think playing him at the 4 is the long - term solution especially if it costs us Keldon's best attributes (motor & intensity).

I think we'll eventually need possibly Luka, our next draft pick and/or (ST's least favorite option, apparently) a possibly returning Trey Lyles to play a bulk of the PF minutes next season.

And, again, I'm the only person who actually sees solid qualities (rebounding & three - point shooting) in Trey and think he's acquitted himself well compared to his flame outs in Denver & Utah.

He shouldn't be a starter but definitely can provide solid minutes at the 4 spot, IMO. I'm sure I'll be lambasted and dissed for even expressing the idea of him returning or having any quality attributes. LOL
    Last edited by J_Paco; 02-14-2021 at 07:02 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right, but it has clearly slowed him down (motor wise) having to "bang," rebound and playing inside. I don't think playing him at the 4 is the long - term solution especially if it costs us Keldon's best attributes (motor & intensity).

I think we'll eventually need possibly Luka, our next draft pick and/or (ST's least favorite option, apparently) a possibly returning Trey Lyles to play a bulk of the PF minutes next season.

And, again, I'm the only person who actually sees solid qualities (rebounding & three - point shooting) in Trey and think he's acquitted himself well compared to his flame outs in Denver & Utah.

He should be a starter but definitely can provide solid minutes at the 4 spot, IMO. I'm sure I'll be lambasted and dissed for even expressing the idea of him returning or have any quality attributes.
    I don't disagree with your analysis of Keldon. Unless he improves his conditioning then he shouldn't play it full-time. I think the optimal solution is him playing half his minutes there and half playing small forward. The NBA is positionless and we should start seeing it that way. Keldon at the 4 provides value when the other team is playing small too (80% of the time these days).

As far as Trey, I feel the same way--I don't think he's as horrible as majority of ST assumes, but I don't think he's great either. If we want to get away from being average, we need plus guys and not net zero guys like Trey. Trey is great at knowing where to be at all times, which is great if you're trying to hold a lead... But if you're trying to BUILD a lead, you need a player who is more dynamic and won't just give you the status quo.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For the right contract, I've said before, I'd be happy with Trey back. He's a backup 4, can play some small ball 5, can even shoot the 3 a bit... If we can get him on $12-15 million over 3 years, you take that. For that money, he's pretty damn good; you need a 9th or 10th guy on the roster.

Thread Information