Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast
    Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Democrats renew call to bar terror-list suspects from buying guns amid Paris attack worries

By ALAN FRAM and MICHAEL BIESECKER, Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) — Congressional Democrats are trying to build support for an effort to bar gun purchases by terror suspects, hoping to take advantage of the same public anxieties about security that gave Republicans a ringing House victory.

The Democratic push seems likely to fall victim to opposition from the National Rifle Association and congressional gun-rights backers, chiefly Republicans, who have smothered firearms curbs for years. If the Republicans who control

Congress block votes on the proposal, Democrats hope to profit politically by winning sympathy from angry voters.

"By leaving this terrorist loophole open, Republicans are leaving every community in America vulnerable to attacks by terrorists armed with assault rifles and explosives purchased legally, in broad daylight," Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., said Friday in a written statement.

The bill by Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., would have the attorney general compile names of known and suspected terrorists, likely drawing from huge lists the government already keeps. Federally licensed gun dealers would be barred from selling firearms to people on that list if government officials believed they planned to use the weapons for terrorism.

Gun dealers are prohibited from selling to 10 categories of people, including many convicted criminals or those with severe mentally illness.

But people appearing on the government's terror watch lists — including those kept off from airlines — are not automatically disqualified from buying weapons from gun dealers. The FBI is notified when a background check for the purchase of firearms or explosives generates a match with the watch list, and agents often use that information to step up surveillance on suspects.

By law, people can try persuading the Justice Department to remove their names from terror lists or can file lawsuits challenging their inclusion. The lists are overwhelmingly composed of foreigners.

Between 2004 and 2014, people on one terror watch list underwent background checks to buy guns 2,233 times and were allowed to make the purchase 91 percent of the time, according to a March report by the Government Accountability Office, an investigative agency of Congress.

NRA spokeswoman Jennifer Baker noted that there have been numerous instances of innocent people mistakenly added to terror lists. She also accused Democrats of trying to take advantage of heightened public alarm following last week's attacks in Paris, which claimed at least 130 lives and for which the Islamic State, which has also threatened the U.S., has claimed responsibility.

"It is appalling that anti-gun politicians are exploiting the Paris terrorist attacks to push their gun-control agenda and distract from President Obama's failed foreign policy," Baker said.

Feinstein's measure echoes legislation that the late Sen. Frank Lautenberg, D-N.J., proposed repeatedly over the last decade and that Rep. Peter King, R-N.Y., has long pushed. None of those measures has ever received a vote.
    Feinstein introduced her bill in February. But last week's mass killings in Paris have injected new life into terrorism and public safety as top-tier political issues.

Just Thursday, Republicans took advantage of voters' security jitters and muscled legislation through the House preventing Syrian and Iraqi refugees from entering the U.S. until the administration tightens restrictions on their entry. Forty-seven Democrats voted for the bill, ignoring a veto threat by President Barack Obama, who said the current screening system is strong and accused Republicans of playing on panicked voters.

House Speaker Paul Ryan, R-Wis., did not respond directly when asked Thursday if he favored barring people on terror lists from buying guns. "We are just beginning this process of reassessing all of our security stances," he said.

http://www.usnews.com/news/politics/...-list-suspects

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Democrats renew call to bar terror-list suspects from buying guns amid Paris attack worries
    NRA/gun industry will kill this pronto

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol politics

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    Ok. So what "little more scrutiny" should be applied, in addition to the above? That seems pretty thorough, basically about as good as we can do.
    From your own quote

"If the House bill becomes law, the director of the F.B.I., the Homeland Security secretary and the director of national intelligence would be required to confirm that the applicant poses no threat."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From your own quote

"If the House bill becomes law, the director of the F.B.I., the Homeland Security secretary and the director of national intelligence would be required to confirm that the applicant poses no threat."
    Which is impossible. Hence, your position is "unless we have a risk-free process, no refugees. And since it is impossible to have a risk-free process, no refugees."

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count

WASHINGTON (AP) — Congressional Democrats are trying to build support for an effort to bar gun purchases by terror suspects, hoping to take advantage of the same public anxieties about security that gave Republicans a ringing House victory.

The Democratic push seems likely to fall victim to opposition from the National Rifle Association and congressional gun-rights backers, chiefly Republicans, who have smothered firearms curbs for years. If the Republicans who control

Congress block votes on the proposal, Democrats hope to profit politically by winning sympathy from angry voters.

"By leaving this terrorist loophole open, Republicans are leaving every community in America vulnerable to attacks by terrorists armed with assault rifles and explosives purchased legally, in broad daylight," Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., said Friday in a written statement.

The bill by Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., would have the attorney general compile names of known and suspected terrorists, likely drawing from huge lists the government already keeps. Federally licensed gun dealers would be barred from selling firearms to people on that list if government officials believed they planned to use the weapons for terrorism.

Gun dealers are prohibited from selling to 10 categories of people, including many convicted criminals or those with severe mentally illness.

But people appearing on the government's terror watch lists — including those kept off from airlines — are not automatically disqualified from buying weapons from gun dealers. The FBI is notified when a background check for the purchase of firearms or explosives generates a match with the watch list, and agents often use that information to step up surveillance on suspects.

By law, people can try persuading the Justice Department to remove their names from terror lists or can file lawsuits challenging their inclusion. The lists are overwhelmingly composed of foreigners.

Between 2004 and 2014, people on one terror watch list underwent background checks to buy guns 2,233 times and were allowed to make the purchase 91 percent of the time, according to a March report by the Government Accountability Office, an investigative agency of Congress.

NRA spokeswoman Jennifer Baker noted that there have been numerous instances of innocent people mistakenly added to terror lists. She also accused Democrats of trying to take advantage of heightened public alarm following last week's attacks in Paris, which claimed at least 130 lives and for which the Islamic State, which has also threatened the U.S., has claimed responsibility.

"It is appalling that anti-gun politicians are exploiting the Paris terrorist attacks to push their gun-control agenda and distract from President Obama's failed foreign policy," Baker said.

Feinstein's measure echoes legislation that the late Sen. Frank Lautenberg, D-N.J., proposed repeatedly over the last decade and that Rep. Peter King, R-N.Y., has long pushed. None of those measures has ever received a vote.
    Feinstein introduced her bill in February. But last week's mass killings in Paris have injected new life into terrorism and public safety as top-tier political issues.

Just Thursday, Republicans took advantage of voters' security jitters and muscled legislation through the House preventing Syrian and Iraqi refugees from entering the U.S. until the administration tightens restrictions on their entry. Forty-seven Democrats voted for the bill, ignoring a veto threat by President Barack Obama, who said the current screening system is strong and accused Republicans of playing on panicked voters.

House Speaker Paul Ryan, R-Wis., did not respond directly when asked Thursday if he favored barring people on terror lists from buying guns. "We are just beginning this process of reassessing all of our security stances," he said.

Until they remove the 500,000 people from the list that have no ties to any know terrorist group this has no chance of passing.

https://www.aclu.org/terror-watch-li...r-million-plus

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Until they remove the 500,000 people from the list that have no ties to any know terrorist group this has no chance of passing.

https://www.aclu.org/terror-watch-li...r-million-plus
    The number is actually 280,000.

... and can we really know for sure they're not linked to terrorism? They're on the Terror Watch List for a reason.

Seems to me if we're too concerned to let individuals who have been vetted for 18-24 months into the country because of holes in our ability to do background checks on them, we should be equally if not more concerned about putting deadly weapons in the hands of people who were flagged due to things we actually know about them.

Wonder what the congressmen on the DHS Committee think.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    concerned about putting deadly weapons in the hands of people who were flagged due to things we actually know about them.
    ANYBODY in the USA can get guns, high capacity guns, if they try hard enough. Being on a watch list doesn't stop Americans, or refugees, or Bad Guys from getting guns.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    The number is actually 280,000.

... and can we really know for sure they're not linked to terrorism? They're on the Terror Watch List for a reason.

Seems to me if we're too concerned to let individuals who have been vetted for 18-24 months into the country because of holes in our ability to do background checks on them, we should be equally if not more concerned about putting deadly weapons in the hands of people who were flagged due to things we actually know about them.

Wonder what the congressmen on the DHS Committee think.
    https://theintercept.com/2014/08/05/watch-commander/

you were correct on the number I thought it was more for some reason

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would actually rather a potential terrorist purchase a gun legally so they can be more easily tracked after that purchase, vs. obtaining the weapon on the black market where we may have limited info.

Same way I would rather they pass through our refugee program than come across the border.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count

Huffington Post

2014 terror list bad
    http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5617599

2015 terror list good
    http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/564fec70e4b0258edb31b652

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He did say "and the nutters". There are plenty of nutters on the Dem side. Fear-mongering by the Repugs and Dems cowering in the corner like little girls is a time-honored tradition in modern American politics.
    Eyup. Xenophobia is an easy card to play, and fear is always politically expedient. Can't really fault Goering's logic, on that, sadly.

My Team
    Sacramento Kings
    Post Count
    MSNBC's poster boy for Islamaphobia arrested in Turkey as part of ISIS cell

https://pjmedia.com/homeland-securit...t-of-isis-cell

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So are there any refugees who have become terrorists since finding a home in the U.S.? Yes — three.

That’s out of the 784,000 refugees who have been resettled in the U.S. since 9/11. Kathleen Newland, also of the MPI, pointed this out earlier in the fall, adding that it was “worth noting two were not planning an attack in the United States and the plans of the third were barely credible.” History doesn’t seem to bear out that refugees are more likely to be disaffected enough by life in the U.S. to lash out through terrorism.
    http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/...it-in-america/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Texas gun nuts who terrorized mosque publish names and addresses of Muslim families

The Bureau of American-Islamic Relations (BAIR) — an anti-Muslim group that used assault rifles and other weapons to intimidate and threaten members of an Irving, Texas mosque on Sunday — has stepped up its campaign of harassment by publishing the names and contact information of the city’s Muslim families and their so-called “sympathizers.”

The Dallas Morning News reported that David Wright III — the man who organized Sunday’s armed demonstration at the Irving Islamic Center — published the names and addresses in a Facebook post.

“THE NAME AND ADDRESS OF EVERY MUSLIM AND MUSLIM SYMPATHIZER THAT STOOD UP FOR SHARIA SHARIA TRIBUNALS IN IRVING TX. LISTED BELOW,” wrote Wright on BAIR’s Facebook page.

Wright then published the names of every Irving resident and speaker who spoke out against a state law aimed at limiting the influence of Muslims on local law and customs. The law was sparked by a false rumor that Irving’s Islamic residents were convening a Sharia Law court inside the Islamic Center.

Wright has said that he and the members of his group have only armed themselves out of self-defense. Muslims intend to kill Irving’s mayor, Wright says, which the Morning News said the newspaper “has seen no evidence of.”

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/11/texa...e+Raw+Story%29

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    (CNN)A German special forces unit arrested two men in a Berlin raid Thursday who are accused of plotting "a significant criminal act against state security," according to Berlin authorities.

The two men were arrested in the Britz section of the German capital after a search was conducted on an Islamic cultural center, police said. German newspaper Der Tagesspeigel reports that one of them was Tunisian and the other Syrian.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/26/europe...sts/index.html

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A's pitcher Sean Doolittle hosts 17 Syrian refugee families for Thanksgiving
    By Steve Petrella steve_petrella
    Published on Nov. 26, 2015

Great beard, better guy. That's Sean Doolittle.

The Athletics reliever and his girlfriend hosted 17 Syrian refugee families for a Thanksgiving meal in Chicago on Wednesday night. Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel also attended.

"Chicago is so lucky to have 17 Syrian refugee families now officially calling it home," Eireann Dolan, Doolittle's girlfriend, wrote on Instagram. "We thought we'd officially welcome them with one of our greatest American traditions, Thanksgiving. Thank you to Mayor Emanuel and Alderman Burke for joining the party! If you'd like to sponsor a refugee family in Chicago, link is in my bio #refugeeswelcome."
    more

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb-news...icago-mayor-17

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A's pitcher Sean Doolittle AND HIS GIRLFRIEND hosts 17 Syrian refugee families for Thanksgiving
    Aha! Not the first time his girlfriend Eireann Dolan has been involved in the funding of groups undermining the very fabric of our society.
    She has funneled money to this organization:
    Frameline, a distributor of award-winning lesbian and gay films and videos to educational and community groups.
    Along with aiding and abetting a fundraiser held by the Oakland As.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...fans/25503971/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Roman Catholic bishops of Texas said Wednesday that Catholic refugee agencies will not comply with a state directive that they stop resettling Syrians in Texas, even as state officials warned at least one local agency that failure to comply could result in being terminated from the state’s resettlement program.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Racist, xenophobic slave state Texas playing read hard ball to pander to the less gun fellators, Christian Taliban, Islamophobes, racists, nativists, xenophobes that comprise 100% of the TX Repug base. A ing nasty state all around.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So you're scared of the Syrian refugees?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is a professor at the University of Missouri. He saw a 14 year old relative of his out walking around without her face and hair covered up completely so he decided to drag her down a flight of stairs and beat her in front of everybody. This is one of the brightest and best Islam
    has to offer, is there any more proof needed to show that their culture is completely incompatible with ours?

Thread Information