Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aside from our obvious needs at the 4 spot, I found my sleeper pick for the 2021 draft.

Measured at 6'9 5/8" in shoes and weighs 226 lb.

He's a big wing and if Keldon Johnson is the long-term solution at the 4, Franz could be the player who could enable that. (or maybe Franz could play 4?)

Franz is a smart defensive IQ player, rivaling Devin Vassell. Do we all agree we need more 'heads up' defense that Devin has displayed thus far?

He's comparable to Deni from last year's draft, except projects to be a better shooter.

Displays EXCELLENT vision, and rarely turns the ball over. His passing has shades of Manu Ginobili.

Currently slotted in the second round, but I predict he will be a big riser in the draft. Hopefully will not be before the Spurs pick (likely mid-first).

He's a 3 level scorer (can score near the rim, mid-range, and 3's):

If we don't trade up into the top 10 to nab Jalen Johnson or Scottie Barnes, Franz is my guy.

Notable quote:

He wants to be one of the best two-way players in college basketball. “When he has a goal, he’ll do anything to get there,” his brother said. “When you live with him for three months, you can tell. It’s crazy.”
    https://www.mlive.com/wolverines/202...asketball.html

Franz' college stats compared to Khris Middleton and Devin Vassell:

http://www.tankathon.com/players/com...-devin-vassell

Murray/ Tre Jones
    Vassell/ White/ Q
    Keldon/ Lonnie/ KBD
    Wagner/ Matthew Hurt
    Poetl/ Eubanks
    Last edited by Dejounte; 01-21-2021 at 10:42 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really like him, reminds me of Joe Ingles and is currently projected as a 2nd rounder, although I'm sure he'll end up somewhere in the 1st.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aside from our obvious needs at the 4 spot, I found my sleeper pick for the 2021 draft.

He's a big wing and if Keldon Johnson is the long-term solution at the 4, Franz could be the player who could enable that. (or maybe Franz could play 4?)

Franz is a smart defensive IQ player, rivaling Devin Vassell. Do we all agree we need more 'heads up' defense that Devin has displayed thus far?

He's comparable to Deni from last year's draft, except projects to be a better shooter.

Displays EXCELLENT vision, and rarely turns the ball over. His passing has shades of Manu Ginobili.

Currently slotted in the second round, but I predict he will be a big riser in the draft. Hopefully will not be before the Spurs pick (likely mid-first).

If we don't trade up into the top 10 to nab Jalen Johnson or Scottie Barnes, Franz is my guy.

Notable quote:

I'm a fan honestly... he'd fit great... also, I wouldn't be opposed to his brother as a backup 5 off the bench to spread the court in certain situations backing up Poeltl. You could play Mo or Drew depending on the match up off the bench.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Notable quote:

Murray/ Tre Jones
    Vassell/ White/ Q
    Keldon/ Lonnie/ KBD
    Wagner/ Matthew Hurt
    Poetl/ Eubanks
    This kid will likely be available in the second round or go undrafted, so no need for the Spurs to even think about wasting a 1st-round pick on him.

Needs to improve his shooting and we'll need to see if he can defend either NBA - level 3's or 4's.

Could be sleeper pickup as role-player that can provide depth especially if they move on (hopefully) from DeMar and/or Rudy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This kid will likely be available in the second round or go undrafted, so no need for the Spurs to even think about wasting a 1st-round pick on him.

Needs to improve his shooting and we'll need to see if he can defend either NBA - level 3's or 4's.

Could be sleeper pickup as role-player that can provide depth especially if they move on (hopefully) from DeMar and/or Rudy.
    Yeaaaaaah, I don't think so. Sig bet? You realize his shooting numbers aren't bad? That his free throw percentage is really high which is an indication of good shooting ability?

What more does the kid need to prove on defense?

Your quick dismissal of him reeks of little research.

If Bolmaro, Payton Pritchard, Desmond Bane, and probably several others can jump to the 1st round, Franz certainly will.

So far, players mocked in mid to late first round don't look like anything better than what Franz looks to be. Tell me, which 30 to 50 players you think are better than Franz? What metrics did you use?

Tell me how someone like Roko looks better than Franz? Kai Jones? Like I said, he's putting up similar or better numbers than past lottery prospects.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 01-21-2021 at 12:42 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really like him he doesn’t jump out at you but he does everything good he scores he defends he gets you rebounds and he even gets ya blocks and steals. I think he might move to a late first round but I don’t see him moving to a mid first.

If we don’t end up tanking I think will probably be picking around 13 to 18 where I see is taking:
    Corey Kispert SF 6’7 - Instant Offense - 3 point shooter we really need one
    Day’Ron Sharpe C 6’11 - Tough Defender
    Greg Brown PF 6’9 - Tough Defender with a little Offense

If we somehow trade one of our Vets for a late first I would look at:
    Frank Wagner SF 6’8 - All around good player
    Ron Harper SF 6’6 - A bigger Keldon?

Second Round:
    Alperen Sengun PF 6’9 - Good player
    Jalen Wilson SF 6’8 - Could become a good 3 point shooter

A question I have would you use a first on Keyontae Johnson if his medicals/heart clear?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow, I'm always ahead of the curve.

13. Grizzlies: Franz Wagner, F, Michigan

Height: 6' 9" | Weight: 220 | Age: 19 | Sop re

Pegged as a potential breakout coming into the season, Wagner has stepped his game up in a meaningful way on a very good Michigan team. What’s impressive is that he’s done it without hijacking the offense or dominating the ball. Of course, Wagner is the younger brother of Wizards center and former Michigan star Moritz Wagner, and after a somewhat slow adjustment as a freshman, he’s begun to deliver on the hype that followed him from Germany to the United States. Wagner has been quite good on both ends of the floor, with a well-rounded floor game and a surprisingly disruptive impact on defense, showing off great anticipation skills and quick hands to block shots and force turnovers. He looks like the type of big forward who can blend lineups with playmaking and feel. Though he’s only shooting 32% from three, given he’s always been a good free throw shooter, there’s not too much concern about the long-term health of his jumper. Wagner looks the part as a top 20 prospect and should continue playing his way into late lottery consideration if all goes well.

Memphis has drafted well over the past couple of years and would add another versatile piece in Wagner who fits their timeline and can accent Ja Morant.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really like him he doesn’t jump out at you but he does everything good he scores he defends he gets you rebounds and he even gets ya blocks and steals. I think he might move to a late first round but I don’t see him moving to a mid first.

If we don’t end up tanking I think will probably be picking around 13 to 18 where I see is taking:
    Corey Kispert SF 6’7 - Instant Offense - 3 point shooter we really need one
    Day’Ron Sharpe C 6’11 - Tough Defender
    Greg Brown PF 6’9 - Tough Defender with a little Offense

If we somehow trade one of our Vets for a late first I would look at:
    Frank Wagner SF 6’8 - All around good player
    Ron Harper SF 6’6 - A bigger Keldon?

Second Round:
    Alperen Sengun PF 6’9 - Good player
    Jalen Wilson SF 6’8 - Could become a good 3 point shooter

A question I have would you use a first on Keyontae Johnson if his medicals/heart clear?
    Main thing I'm looking for this year is lateral quickness and length. If we had a four that can cover ground quickly and provide some interior defense / weakside blocking, it would be huge for this team. I also looked to see if that four can shoot 3s. Franz seems to cover all these areas.

If / when we have that four, then I'll look at rim rolling bigs in the second round. Seems there's plenty of those in this draft. If not a rim rolling big, then a pure shooting big... I've been looking at Matthew Hurt and the guy looks great.
    Last edited by Dejounte; 01-21-2021 at 01:29 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, when I watch these guys, I pay attention to their role on defense. If that big just hovers around the paint, it's a big red flag for me. When I looked through the prospects, it seems most of the bigs are like this. To me, those guys won't be any better than the bigs we have now. If they're not accustomed to switching in college, they have little hope in the NBA. They won't do much better than Lyles, IMO. Need someone quicker than Lyles.
    BackHome

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imagine if we had this kind of defense playing alongside Murray, White, Keldon, and Vassell...

Here he is covering a guard:

Can cover ground quick:

Again, that lateral quickness:

No easy shots:

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good find. I can see him at the 4. Keldon at the 3 makes sense to me longterm once we get an actual power forward.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man I was just thinking the same thing Dejounte as far as how good the defense would be one thing is that I miss from the old Spurs is how solid and tough they were on defense. It's definitely going to be interesting on who we pick in the next draft as I said I have my favs but also understand players move up and down so will wait and see but definitely Frank is someone to keep and eye out and due to his skills and age he just might fight his way to mid first.

This is why I was really hoping we could move one of our Vets for a late first I think we would probably come away with a possible first string starter and a good bench player lots of talent in this draft. I agree with you a lot of these bigs in the mocks are camping in the paint and definitely seem more as old school centers vs new fast outside shooting/guarding centers.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This man puts forth effort! I like him.......

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imagine if we had this kind of defense playing alongside Murray, White, Keldon, and Vassell...

Here he is covering a guard:

Can cover ground quick:

Again, that lateral quickness:

No easy shots:

I mean, there’s already a guy on our roster who does all those things. His name is Jacob Turtle.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poodle - SMH - I don’t think I have seen a guy shoot so many air balls since I watched my Sisters Middle school basketball game. And you know the bad thing is that I think Poodle has started to infect other players with the Air Ball virus.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean, there’s already a guy on our roster who does all those things. His name is Jacob Turtle.
    Sure, but he can't play forward and he can't shoot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Watched some of Michigan's game tonight against Perdue. Franz is utilized so much as a point forward, and he excels at it. I don't see limited ballhandling, he secures the ball really well. He made some nifty passes and showed he can finish with either hand. I'll upload some clips tomorrow.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like typical Spurs pick. We all know Pop loves white big men

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lack of athleticism comes to mind watching him and will be worse in the nba. Wouldn’t mind him as a second rounder though but looks like maybe the hype train will get him into the first. Prob be a good glue guy.
    Why was Mathew Hurt in your projected lineup? Dude is trash, can score a little in college but is a terrible defender, terrible.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lack of athleticism comes to mind watching him and will be worse in the nba. Wouldn’t mind him as a second rounder though but looks like maybe the hype train will get him into the first. Prob be a good glue guy.
    Why was Mathew Hurt in your projected lineup? Dude is trash, can score a little in college but is a terrible defender, terrible.
    He's already projected to be a late lottery pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ahhh the typical white guy ain't athletic line. just because he doesn't jump out of the gym doesn't mean he's not athletic. He looks strong and he's fast. In a way, he's athletic in the same vein as White. Athleticism is more than just hops. It's not like Vassell's super athletic either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "I’ve always been a big believer that every team needs a star," Martelli said. "Every team needs a star. Yes, we’re balanced. Close to five guys averaging double figures and will end up at the end of the season in that area. We could end up with six guys averaging double figures. When you’re on the road, when you’re in the battles and when you get a little blood on your lip, which we will get. Who’s the guy? To me, it’s Franz. I think that you saw that certainly at Nebraska. He’s the one, to me, with a really good team, I think that these guys are really, really talented. Really balanced, really connected. Somebody has to walk into every gym and think that they’re the toughest gunfighter in the West. To me, it’s Franz."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/247spor...158001002/Amp/

Michigan has a 13-1 record.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "When God blesses you with the height of 6-10 and can move the way he can move out there on the floor, God darn it, you better use it," Washington said with a laugh. "He’s very much a student of the game, soaks up everything that you try to coach him up to do, and you just love guys like that. And you go out on the floor and apply those things. He’s been very serious from the start about making some steps forward on both sides of the ball coming into this season."

Washington believes that Wagner's increased production is not only giving himself a renewed sense of confidence, but it can give the Maize and Blue another gear, one they'll need as Big Ten play progresses.

"He’s like, 'man, I can really get stops, I can really defend, I can really score the ball at all three levels.' And now, it’s fun to him, because he’s doing some things that he wasn’t doing previously, and now he’s seeing his game expand, and we’re the beneficiaries of it, because he has that giving spirit and because he’s willing to sacrifice and do it on both ends of the floor, he just wants to impact winning."

“Those blocks on their shooters, those blocks on protecting the basket, it was just inspiring,” Howard said. “His level of being locked on the attention to detail, locked in on the scouting report, studying his opponent, knowing their tendencies — the guy is an architect.”

https://michigan.rivals.com/news/fra...n-another-gear

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some vision:

Heads up defense:

Missed it, but shows his speed:

Awesome defense:

More great vision:

Shows how quick he is:

More vision:

Speed: