Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
    My Team
    Brigham Young Cougars
    Post Count
    But isn't that kind of the same scenario that happened with Shaka Smart? Took a non-basketball powerhouse on a cinderella run to the Final Four, but was lackluster at Texas. Don't get me wrong. Beard is definitely the best hire for UT, but it shouldn't be a foregone conclusion that he'll replicate that same success. I don't know why it didn't happen with Smart. I know that for whatever reason his teams at Texas never ran that same kind of 1-2-2 press they did at VCU which gave teams fits.
    its not the scenario.........shaka did it with a mid major.............beard has proven it in the most compe ive power 5 conference in the ncaa.......

My Team
    Brigham Young Cougars
    Post Count
    u can unclinch Blake Mark Celibate

Rumor on Tech boards is that Beard has gotten a raise and new contract will be announced shortly

faggy opinion + certainty Mark Celibate's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    My expert analysis says that it's between Texas Tech, Texas, and any other school that wants to offer him a contract. Stay tuned folks, I have a feeling my prediction will be correct

My Team
    TAMU-CC Islanders
    Post Count
    What everyone said about Shaka and Herman
    I cannot argue with your statement. However, Beard is far superior to Herman in the area of maturity, game planning, and being able to wear the big boy pants.

I have no idea what happened with Shaka. I really thought he would be an outstanding hire. I wonder if internally he was sabotaged the way Strong was. I know Strong did a lot of it to himself with some piss poor assistants. I am not sure at all about Shaka's staff.

I am just sick and tired of the overall lack of structure for the program since Penders. It is like a bunch of angry ants all over the place on both ends, with no real plan of action or determined outcome. I see very little in the sense of discipline, technique, and individual growth among the players. It is complete anarchy and has been since Penders. I find it rather unfortunate because we have had some damn fine players.

I truly believe Beard can come in, tighten the reins, get these wild mustangs tamed and coached up into some elite stallions.

My Team
    TAMU-CC Islanders
    Post Count
    My expert analysis says that it's between Texas Tech, Texas, and any other school that wants to offer him a contract. Stay tuned folks, I have a feeling my prediction will be correct
    However, I doubt that he gets any offers from schools who are not interested......stay tuned and find out.

My Team
    TAMU-CC Islanders
    Post Count
    But isn't that kind of the same scenario that happened with Shaka Smart? Took a non-basketball powerhouse on a cinderella run to the Final Four, but was lackluster at Texas. Don't get me wrong. Beard is definitely the best hire for UT, but it shouldn't be a foregone conclusion that he'll replicate that same success. I don't know why it didn't happen with Smart. I know that for whatever reason his teams at Texas never ran that same kind of 1-2-2 press they did at VCU which gave teams fits.
    I never understood why he never brought that press to Texas. We have the horses to run it with great efficiency. I find that was a grave error on his part.

Now watch, he will implement it at Marquette and they will be beastly again.....

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    I think it's definitely gotta be harder to tell the 5 star players that have already been told they're going to be a lottery pick by everyone to get tough on defense, take charges and dive for loose balls.

The one five star player that Beard landed couldn't hack it and took off. I think the UT coddle factor might just be too strong to overcome for even the best coaches.

I think it's definitely gotta be harder to tell the 5 star players that have already been told they're going to be a lottery pick by everyone to get tough on defense, take charges and dive for loose balls.

The one five star player that Beard landed couldn't hack it and took off. I think the UT coddle factor might just be too strong to overcome for even the best coaches.
    IMO this is what led to them having to move on from Barnes when they did. I always thought Barnes was a great coach when motivating scrappy players with a chip on their shoulder. Similar to how Beard was able to elevate good players to great things. However, once Barnes improved the program and started getting high profile talent, his berative a$$hole coaching style didn't work so well. Their best year was obviously the Final Four year where they were stopped by Carmelo Anthony and then peaked somewhere around 08/09. But then he started getting in 5 star guys like Avery Bradley, Tristan Thomson, etc but wasn't able to do much with it.

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    ^ yep
    Culture at UT is a problem. Hopefully Beard can overcome the en lement that comes. The football coach too.

faggy opinion + certainty Mark Celibate's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    so the takeaway from this thread for me is that, unless you're a household name at a blueblood school (Coach K, Calipari, Saban, etc) you're f*cked no matter what once you start getting a bunch of 5 star recruits. It's dammed if you do, dammed if you don't. You're either an a$$hole who's too rigid that the spoiled players will tune out, or you're too loose causing the players to check out and start playing hero ball in order to improve their draft stock. Not just UT this happens either, there's countless examples at other schools for both basketball and football.

Maybe there's a 'happy' medium somewhere in there? You can be a drill sergeant half the time, but then act like that jack@ss Kliff Kingsbury and make time to show your "lighthearded" side like twerking and doing the stanky leg to sh!tty rap music after practice

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Whenever a job opening at Texas appears, agents everywhere get a sudden erection.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    so the takeaway from this thread for me is that, unless you're a household name at a blueblood school (Coach K, Calipari, Saban, etc) you're f*cked no matter what once you start getting a bunch of 5 star recruits. It's dammed if you do, dammed if you don't. You're either an a$$hole who's too rigid that the spoiled players will tune out, or you're too loose causing the players to check out and start playing hero ball in order to improve their draft stock. Not just UT this happens either, there's countless examples at other schools for both basketball and football.

Maybe there's a 'happy' medium somewhere in there? You can be a drill sergeant half the time, but then act like that jack@ss Kliff Kingsbury and make time to show your "lighthearded" side like twerking and doing the stanky leg to sh!tty rap music after practice

My Team
    TAMU-CC Islanders
    Post Count

I love the Horns, but the diva bull is beyond this world from the school's athletes. Not only the athletes, but the society around them as well. Stop acting like UT is so freaking awesome and above everyone else, when all it does is consistently underachieving. I have spent almost my entire life watching the football, basketball, baseball, softball, volleyball, and track teams underachieve. Now, I have also seen some great successes as well. However, the biggest underachievers come from football and basketball. There is no excuse for use to not consistently be a top 5-10 football program on a yearly basis....OU is. We consistently lose to programs and get massacred far too often by decent or good school. It is quite embarrassing. Also, no excuse for Jodie Conradt to only have 1 le, her teams were awesome, and UConn was not the power it has been for the last 25 years. Our men should be winning 2-3 games at least in March.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Lol yeah I'd concur. I mean, how the does Baylor have so much success all across the board.

My Team
    Brigham Young Cougars
    Post Count
    spoke at length with two sources that have a relationship with Chris Beard. The first source said Beard has mentioned in the last couple of years that being at a Nike school is of major significance. Add in the Kevin Durant factor and Texas is very attractive as a Nike school to Beard.
    Beard understands the recruiting value of being at a powerful Nike school, and doesn’t feel like he’s working at full recruiting ability with Under Armour being Texas Tech’s outfitter. Should Beard leave for Texas, this is an important reason why even though it’s not talked about as much as salary and contract length.

My Team
    Brigham Young Cougars
    Post Count
    tamar bates has been released from his loi............texas has 6 scholarship players on the roster for next season............chris beard will have to build through the transfer market as he did at tech..........

My Team
    Brigham Young Cougars
    Post Count

My Team
    Brigham Young Cougars
    Post Count
    bruh insiders expect every texas commit to be released from their loi.........texas will not have enough players to field a team unless they use the transfer portal or walk ons..........

Emarion Ellis, Keyan Itejere and David Joplin to all as out as well
    only 4 scholarship players on roster for 2021-2022 season
    hepa
    cunningham
    ramey
    jones

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    Lol "Nike school"

My Team
    Brigham Young Cougars
    Post Count
    Lol "Nike school"
    u have only been following basketball for 3 years............ shoe affiliation is a major factor in college basketball..........beard does not want to be part of under armour it hinders his recruiting.............
    Last edited by playblair; 03-29-2021 at 05:31 PM.

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    u have only been following basketball for 3 years............ shoe affiliation is a major factor in college basketball..........beard does not want to be part of under armour it hinders his recruiting.............

My Team
    Brigham Young Cougars
    Post Count
    being big brother has its advantages........texas mods reporting chris beard will formally interview for the texas job april 1...........its just a formality meeting as texas mods say the deal is done beard has been hired...........rumors on the texas tech board are the the ad honeycutt is furious with beard & are no longer talking............

My Team
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    Post Count
    fook beard...........shaka has won 3 consecutive tournaments............nit/maui/conference..............

My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    Welp, that was fast. Welcome to Texas, Coach Beard.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    Texas Longhorns
    Post Count
    You're still a dip ...but good call

Thread Information