Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i hope one one of the blunders you referenced made by murray wasn't the galinari three pointer in the 2nd overtime. at first, i was upset because it appeared that murray had bit on a pump fake but on the replay it was pointed out that dj was having to clog that passing lane to bogdanovich who was wide open. galinari smartly hinted at passing it off and when murray jumped up to prevent the pass galinari took the shot and nailed it. murray did what he was supposed to on that possession.
    Gonna have to challenge that, rjv.

When Trey makes his drive, Rudy steps up in the paint to stop him. Murray is already way out of position here, leaving two shooters open in the corner and wing:

As a result, he is late to close out, but instead of going to the ball, he tries to block the pass. Credit Galo for giving him a good pass-fake:

Murray is burnt there. He jumped himself out of position.

Mills and Gay actually try to recover but the damage is done. Either way, they were getting an open shot, but you should at least force the pass and make them shoot the lower percentage look.

The first rule of defense is that you stop the ball. You can't be so worried about the next pass that you give up a wide open shot. Especially when the shot you are giving up is the most effective shot in basketball.

It was a simple mistake made on instinct and isn't the sole reason the Spurs lost, but it's another case of Murray gambling instead of playing solid defense, and it cost him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i hope one one of the blunders you referenced made by murray wasn't the galinari three pointer in the 2nd overtime. at first, i was upset because it appeared that murray had bit on a pump fake but on the replay it was pointed out that dj was having to clog that passing lane to bogdanovich who was wide open. galinari smartly hinted at passing it off and when murray jumped up to prevent the pass galinari took the shot and nailed it. murray did what he was supposed to on that possession.
    See Gregg, this is the result of having multiple shooters in the lineup. See how that works?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    See Gregg, this is the result of having multiple shooters in the lineup. See how that works?
    yeah, it helps to have shooters on a roster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Was Patty guarding Bogd?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gonna have to challenge that, rjv.

When Trey makes his drive, Rudy steps up in the paint to stop him. Murray is already way out of position here, leaving two shooters open in the corner and wing:

As a result, he is late to close out, but instead of going to the ball, he tries to block the pass. Credit Galo for giving him a good pass-fake:

Murray is burnt there. He jumped himself out of position.

Mills and Gay actually try to recover but the damage is done. Either way, they were getting an open shot, but you should at least force the pass and make them shoot the lower percentage look.

The first rule of defense is that you stop the ball. You can't be so worried about the next pass that you give up a wide open shot. Especially when the shot you are giving up is the most effective shot in basketball.

It was a simple mistake made on instinct and isn't the sole reason the Spurs lost, but it's another case of Murray gambling instead of playing solid defense, and it cost him.
    reviewing this makes me want to puke. Seriously, Rudy at C and Patty on the court on a late game critical defensive possession? Why TF is that not jakob and Vassell. Pop is so dumb sometimes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    reviewing this makes me want to puke. Seriously, Rudy at C and Patty on the court on a late game critical defensive possession? Why TF is that not jakob and Vassell. Pop is so dumb sometimes
    the only reason i could come up with for patty being out there was for the scenario in which the spurs would get the rebound on a miss and not call a timeout. but then again, pop had patty in on the last possession of regulation too. and everyone knew the hawks were going to take it down to the last second.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It makes no sense. I actually thought Vassell had gotten injured at some point after OT began, because he wasn't seeing the court whatsoever since like 10 minutes ago.... Nope, turns out it's just another chapter of Pop's Vet Ride AND Die. SMH. And yet another game of not playing Luka at all after he "earned his minutes". On a back-to-back... Against a team missing like 5 rotational pieces.... And you overplay the same vets that are tired and losing you games when they aren't even tired. Just an F- job by Pop last night.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if you have to choose between deflecting a pass or closing out the shooter, you have to close out the shooter period. And on top of that you never want to give up the corner 3 which is the most efficient shot in basketball

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You guys are NOT seeing the BIG picture -

Luka - is WELL RESTED!

This will pay dividends when Luka goes to another team and has tons of energy!
    Last edited by Spurs Homer; 04-02-2021 at 10:51 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Playing Patty 30 minutes is killing us, 3 pts 2 rebounds 3 assists on 30 minutes, that's a shame he played that much.

Rudy was playing too much but he had a better night, both have to play lesser.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mills and Gay are two of the few players who provide credible or better 3-point shooting and uncoincidentally positive impact.

The real issue is being as reliant on them as they are, not playing them as much as they do.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mills and Gay are two of the few players who provide credible or better 3-point shooting and uncoincidentally positive impact.

The real issue is being as reliant on them as they are, not playing them as much as they do.
    you're right on most part but you don't need 30 minutes of mills, you can insert Vassell who is a good 3pts shooter so the playing time is a problem for me.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah Luka’s entire career was killed the second Pop says he deserved minutes. This is the dude that benched Lonnie after he had 29 points against the Rockets. The dude should’ve just traded away all the vets

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you're right on most part but you don't need 30 minutes of mills, you can insert Vassell who is a good 3pts shooter so the playing time is a problem for me.
    On a normal team, you could. On this one, that's a downgrade they can't afford on a sustainable basis in closing lineups.

Mills provides significantly more volume, versatility (off screens, pull up, quickness of release) and almost as important, respect from opposing defenses.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You guys keep seeing the BIG picture -

Luka - is WELL RESTED!

This will pay dividends when Luka goes to another team and has tons of energy!
    If I am Luka agent I am going public and demanding a trade Pop for what ever reason is just being a no way should this kid not be getting some burn

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t know what changes Pop was talking about at the beginning of the season. Instead of Forbes/Belli, it’s Mills/Rudy. It’s still over reliance on offense vs defense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And do we have good defensive guards? It’s like all the guards beat us. Vassell could be that instead of Patty getting abused every night.

Thread Information