Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...eparture-spurs

Some good info in there. Initially I wasn't happy about him leaving. He was offered a contract, but took Charlotte's instead and I don't blame him. After seeing White's and Forbes' development it seems it worked out for the best for both the Spurs and TP.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the article, Mo. This was a tear-jerker. I love TP and so does SA. He did what was best for him, and it worked out for all parties involved.

My favorite part of the article here:

Parker regrets how that played out and finds it "unbelievable" some fans thought the comments played a role in Leonard's desire to leave San Antonio.
    "If people think that, then they're really wrong," Parker says, addressing the situation publicly for the first time. "Because I'm definitely not the reason. I was saying that in a positive way. The sad thing is everybody ran with this and put me as the bad guy, and I had no problem playing with Kawhi.
    "I loved playing with him. I'm kind of the one who passed him the torch because it was kind of my team between 2008 and 2015, and I passed the torch to him. So it was sad people tried to put me against Kawhi. It never happened like that. People like [former Spur] Danny Green and other people that knew Kawhi and could talk to them, I told them to tell him the real story."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great article. Thanks!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not understood the hate TP received in this forum. He gave us all he had during all those years he played here. He was great for the Spurs. I was a bit sad when I was told he was going to leave, but accepted and happy for him. Wanted him to play all his years as a Spur, but as I stated earlier it worked out for the best. I wasn't a fan of Forbes at all and didn't know what to expect from White and felt the Spurs made have made a mistake letting Parker leave, but that is all changing now.

I still think Forbes sucks on defense, but he's won me over. His shooting has helped the team a lot and he's making good decisions on when to drive to the hoop. White has been a stud. He's been great on both ends of the court.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "People like Danny Green and other people that knew Kawhi and could talk to them, I told them to tell him the real story."

That quote speaks volumes. Parker and Kawhi played together for seven seasons and Parker "didn't know him" and had to speak through other players to
    communicate with him.

Also: That knew Kawhi and could talk to ​THEM....
    Last edited by R. DeMurre; 01-14-2019 at 01:44 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "People like Danny Green and other people that knew Kawhi and could talk to them, I told them to tell him the real story."

That quote speaks volumes. Parker and Kawhi played together for seven seasons and Parker "didn't know him" and had to speak through other players to
    communicate with him.

Yeah I found that pretty interesting.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You’d have to be an idiot to think what Parker said was in any way being critical and was a reason nephew bailed. Uncle and player fans struggling to justify jumping ship

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You’d have to be an idiot to think what Parker said was in any way being critical and was a reason nephew bailed. Uncle and player fans struggling to justify jumping ship
    Pretty much this.

It's like if you paraphrase what Parker literally meant to say, it was probably along these lines:
    "hey man no need to worry, we got the best medical staff here, my injury was much worse but i was able to come back from it so i have all the confidence in the world that you will be back on the court soon. Don't be down on yourself, you will be playing to 100% soon."

but due to the timing of it and the wording, media decided that it was an attack planned by pop and parker.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Parker doesn't mince words and doesn't play the American politically correct card when he speaks. The fact that he mentioned THEM in his statement was o accident and really revealed what kind of relationship Kawhi had with the organization. The dude just wanted out of SA and wanted to go home to LA. It's as simple as that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pretty much this.

It's like if you paraphrase what Parker literally meant to say, it was probably along these lines:
    "hey man no need to worry, we got the best medical staff here, my injury was much worse but i was able to come back from it so i have all the confidence in the world that you will be back on the court soon. Don't be down on yourself, you will be playing to 100% soon."

but due to the timing of it and the wording, media decided that it was an attack planned by pop and parker.
    Spurs hiring Brent Barry after Porker's display of leadership says it all, tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not understood the hate TP received in this forum. He gave us all he had during all those years he played here. He was great for the Spurs. I was a bit sad when I was told he was going to leave, but accepted and happy for him. Wanted him to play all his years as a Spur, but as I stated earlier it worked out for the best. I wasn't a fan of Forbes at all and didn't know what to expect from White and felt the Spurs made have made a mistake letting Parker leave, but that is all changing now.

I still think Forbes sucks on defense, but he's won me over. His shooting has helped the team a lot and he's making good decisions on when to drive to the hoop. White has been a stud. He's been great on both ends of the court.
    Mo, I'm with you on the bold. But it's not really that surprising that TP gets some hate here tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His team from 2008-2015?

This is the one thing that made me not fully embrace him like I did Timmy and Manu. That ego.

With that said, he was a loyal Spur and I hope he gets the reception he deserves. God bless the great William Anthony Parker, tbh.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His team from 2008-2015?

HOtS

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for the article, Mo. This was a tear-jerker. I love TP and so does SA. He did what was best for him, and it worked out for all parties involved.

Parker regrets how that played out and finds it "unbelievable" some fans thought the comments played a role in Leonard's desire to leave San Antonio.
    "If people think that, then they're really wrong," Parker says, addressing the situation publicly for the first time. "Because I'm definitely not the reason. I was saying that in a positive way. The sad thing is everybody ran with this and put me as the bad guy, and I had no problem playing with Kawhi.
    "I loved playing with him. I'm kind of the one who passed him the torch because it was kind of my team between 2008 and 2015, and I passed the torch to him. So it was sad people tried to put me against Kawhi. It never happened like that. People like [former Spur] Danny Green and other people that knew Kawhi and could talk to them, I told them to tell him the real story."
    Tony i love you man,you were an amazing player,first ballot Hall of Famer,Spur Legend,but this WAS NOT your team.You were the first option in offence and then you gave some of your FG attempts to Kawhi after 2015.

Especially on the 2014 championship run which was the best team basketball played in the history of the sport by any team,it's asinine to say "it was my team".

I get it that if you don't have an ego the size of Jupiter you don't make it in the NBA,you don't become an allstar,you don't win rings.

But it was Tim Duncan's team... It was always Duncan's team.

Nonetheless,thanks for everything TP,i wish you get a standing ovation till you tear up tonight!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Coach TP. It could happen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Coach TP. It could happen.
    Parker said about 3 years ago that he was not interested in coaching but he really wanted to be the GM of an NBA team.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His team from 2008-2015?

This is the one thing that made me not fully embrace him like I did Timmy and Manu. That ego.

With that said, he was a loyal Spur and I hope he gets the reception he deserves. God bless the great William Anthony Parker, tbh.
    I'm about to fall over from shock from that last line tbh.

Parker's ego certainly was bigger than Tim's and Manu's, but compared to the rest of the league it was still pretty small. Tim just had no ego at all, and Manu not a whole lot more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I love TP but TD and Manu would secretly disagree with TP's comments there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not understood the hate TP received in this forum. He gave us all he had during all those years he played here. He was great for the Spurst.
    2 words Manure Fans

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

communicate with him.

Maybe Tony did try to reach Kawhi and met the same resistance that Tim and David met from "them" and was unable to speak one on one with Kawhi. "Them" refers to the buffer they all encountered ...perhaps?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    last season was always funny seeing the difference in the way the offense ran when TP was in and when Murray was in

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone else going to the game to "boo" him tonight?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love TP but TD and Manu would secretly disagree with TP's comments there.
    Highly doubt it.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Parker dropping truth nukes as he always has. HOTS from 2008-2015

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good article

TP might have been the funnest Spur to root for all-time in terms of watching his progression over the years. From skinny 19-year-old rookie who was thought of as a possible change of pace backup to no-brainer starter to destroying Gary Payton in the playoffs to becoming unguardable by other point guards to All-Star and Finals MVP to second half of his career renaissance to legit MVP candidate. Four-time champion, absorbed Pop's harshest coaching, managed to be an alpha leader while never clashing with Duncan and Manu, always just wanted to win basketball games.

Thanks, TP.

Thread Information