Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://news.yahoo.com/syrias-assad-w...000302411.html

Syria's Assad warns of "earthquake" if West intervenes

"BEIRUT (Reuters) - Western powers risk causing an "earthquake" across the Middle East if they intervene in Syria, President Bashar al-Assad said, after protesters called for foreign protection from a crackdown in which 3,000 people have been killed.
    Assad's warning came ahead of Syrian government talks on Sunday with the Arab League aimed at starting a dialogue between the government and opposition and ending violence which has escalated across Syria in recent days.
    Activists said Syrian forces killed more than 50 civilians in the last 48 hours and one activist group said suspected army deserters killed 30 soldiers in clashes in the city of Homs and in an ambush in the northern province of Idlib on Saturday.
    Assad's suppression of the seven-month uprising has drawn criticism from the United Nations and Arab League. Western governments have called on him to step down and imposed sanctions on Syrian oil exports and state businesses.
    Western countries "are going to ratchet up the pressure, definitely," Assad told Britain's Sunday Telegraph newspaper.
    "But Syria is different in every respect from Egypt, Tunisia, Yemen. The history is different. The politics is different."
    "Syria is the hub now in this region. It is the fault line, and if you play with the ground you will cause an earthquake."
    WESTERN STANCE
    NATO military intervention in Libya played a decisive role in toppling Muammar Gaddafi, the third Arab leader to be overthrown after the revolutions in Tunisia and Egypt.
    Western nations have shown no appe e to repeat their Libyan operation in Syria, but demonstrators are increasingly calling for a "no-fly zone" over their country.
    "Do you want to see another Afghanistan, or tens of Afghanistans?" Assad said. "Any problem in Syria will burn the whole region. If the plan is to divide Syria, that is to divide the whole region."
    Since the start of protests in March, Syrian authorities have blamed the violence on foreign-backed gunmen and religious extremists they say have killed 1,100 soldiers and police.
    Syria has barred most international media, making it hard to verify accounts from activists and authorities.
    But the resilience of the protesters, the determination of authorities to crush dissent and the emerging armed insurgency have combined to make Syria's turmoil one of the most intractable confrontations of this year's Arab uprisings.
    Assad, whose father put down an armed Muslim Brotherhood uprising in the city of Hama in 1982, killing many thousands, said the latest crisis was part of the same conflict.
    "We've been fighting the Muslim Brotherhood since the 1950s and we are still fighting with them," he said.
    Authorities had made "many mistakes" in the early part of the uprising, but he said the situation had now improved and that he had started implementing reform within a week of the troubles erupting in mid-March.
    "The pace of reform is not too slow. The vision needs to be mature. It would take only 15 seconds to sign a law, but if it doesn't fit your society, you'll have division," he said.
    Assad's opponents say although he lifted emergency law and gave citizenship to thousands of stateless Kurds, his promises of reform ring hollow while security forces kill protesters and arrest thousands of people. They also say protests are driven by a desire for greater freedoms, not by an Islamist agenda.
    Friday's shooting of demonstrators prompted Arab ministers to issue their strongest call yet on Assad to end the killing of civilians.
    The Arab League's committee on the Syrian crisis sent an "urgent message to the Syrian government expressing its severe discontent over the continued killing of Syrian civilians."
    A source at Syria's Foreign Ministry, quoted by state media, said the Arab League statement was "based on media lies" and urged the committee to "help restore stability in Syria instead of stirring sedition."
    An Arab League ministerial group is due to meet Syrian officials on Sunday in Qatar to press for dialogue between the government and opposition.
    Syria, a majority Sunni Muslim nation of 20 million people, is dominated by Assad's minority Alawite sect, an offshoot of Shi'ite Islam.
    Aware of potentially seismic geopolitical implications if Assad were to fall, leaders in the mostly Sunni Arab world have been cautious about criticising the Syrian president as they struggle with domestic challenges to their own rule.
    Sunni ascendancy in Syria could affect Israel and shake up regional alliances. Assad strengthened ties with Shi'ite Iran while also upholding his father's policy of avoiding conflict with Israel on the occupied Golan Heights frontier.
    Syria has barred most international media, making it hard to verify accounts from activists and authorities."

Why hasn't NATO done jack with this country? Everyone was all too happy to jump in Libya's politics once Gaddafi starting killing his own people. Syria actually harbors and creates terrorists against the West, and still nothing.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No oil; WGAF?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My take on the Lybia thread:

I expect them to be there if the UN imposes a no-fly zone against Syria.

Why not?
    Resident conserva s are already on the record that the US should not get involved there.

We'll see what the tune is if Romney decides to pull the trigger instead...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But were they targeting civilians or they just happened to be there? /WC

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    So when is the UN going to target Syria?

Libya had the 6th highest HDI among the 57 Islamic states. Syria ranks number 26. Surely their people are more deserving of a regime change than the Libyan people were.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So when is the UN going to target Syria?

Libya had the 6th highest HDI among the 57 Islamic states. Syria ranks number 26. Surely their people are more deserving of a regime change than the Libyan people were.
    Nobody gives a about HDI if civilians are being murdered...

What part of that you don't get?

above average height mavs>spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    china murdered all those students during those protests in the 80's and nobody gave a

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    china murdered all those students during those protests in the 80's and nobody gave a
    But China has a great HDI!!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    syria is irans last line of defense, they know if syria falls...they are next in line

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Syria has oil, maybe not enough for the US military subsidiary of US/UK OILcos to go after

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Syria#Oil

Syria has of course been screwing up Lebanon, imposing itself with Iranian assistance, over Lebanon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They are all going to fall. It's a plan that's been going on since the Reagan years.

"We'll do it this time" Bartleby's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    . It's a plan that's been going on since the Reagan years.
    Bull

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They are all going to fall. It's a plan that's been going on since the Reagan years.
    I try to tell you folks.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You might be ignorant of the bulk of modern Chinese history here.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    You might be ignorant of the bulk of modern Chinese history here.
    Sorry shouldn't you be removing people's avatars right about now?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry shouldn't you be removing people's avatars right about now?
    I have them turned off. Having a problem?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    I have them turned off. Having a problem?
    Sup ghost mod

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I couldn't edit avatars even when I was a mod.

You're pretty paranoid when it comes to me.

What happened?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    My heritage was disrespected

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My heritage was disrespected
    You should call a Jewish lawyer to make things right.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lol american coalition imperialism, this wouldve been avoided had they did what was right during ww2 winning spoils of war...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wait... they have an Earthquake Machine?!?

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Break out the Bush Hurricane Generator, now!!!111

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Listen to what's said about Iran and Syria from the 11:35 to the 14:25 time mark.

Ken O'Keefe Call's For Military Coup - Good Idea?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY6oY2M-0uA
    After the coup, then what? Another Iraq/Libya/Iran?

Thread Information