Page 1 of 28 1234511 ... LastLast
    My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    At first glance it seems ridiculous.

Afterwards, not so much.

What am i missing here? I would never have the balls to not leave or buy an item if asked.

The videos i watched seemed hard to make out the sound clear. I'm more of a read it type of guy.

My take away details, correct me if I'm wrong.

Two black guys sat at a Starbucks without ordering. One asked to use the bathroom, they replied it was for paying customers only, then asked them to leave (Not sure if they asked him if he wanted to order first or not) He refused to leave. Cops were called and asked him to leave, they refused.

I would have either ordered a coffee or stated i was there for a meeting and was waiting for the other guy to order.

What is missing from this story?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The store should have let them alone and they would have eventually left

Terrible management and decision making

They deserve what they are getting

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Were the black guys acting thuggish? Cos then, it's a clear case of racism. If not, it's probably still a clear case of racism.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "We apologize to the two individuals and our customers and are disappointed this led to an arrest. We take these matters seriously and clearly have more work to do when it comes to how we handle incidents in our stores. We are reviewing our policies and will continue to engage with the community and the police department to try to ensure these types of situations never happen in any of our stores."

Later that night, Starbucks CEO Kevin Johnson issued another apology, saying the company is investigating and will make any necessary changes to their practices. He also says he hopes to meet the two men personally to offer a face-to-face apology.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The store should have let them alone and they would have eventually left

Terrible management and decision making

They deserve what they are getting
    I wouldn't want you or anyone in my store if you're not buying.

It's not like Starbucks has a big selection of stuff you can buy. It's just coffee. It's not a mall.

I'm not read up on the story either but it seems like more overreaction from the masses. Everything has to be about racism with people these days.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When you're black, it's always about race in a racist society

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    I hate starbucks based on the fact its overpriced coffee and the whole small, medium, large issue. Wife likes her treat once ever great while so whatever. My casual opinion is they bend over backwards to try to be PC. Not sure how you offer free wifi but not bathrooms but whatever. Assume most people that come for the wifi aren't ty people and buy a cup of coffee. Saw that the Philly mayor said that the apology from Starbucks CEO was not good enough. I find that humorous that a PC company gets taken to the cleaners by the masses for doing standard business.

But seriously, Can someone explain whats missing from my summary?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Starbucks is wrong.

However, when you're asked to leave a private business and you don't, you are illegally trespassing. It doesn't matter why you are asked to leave, because that's a civil matter. Trespassing is a criminal matter. If it was two white people no one would have thought anything about it. I've seen people asked to leave Starbucks countless times, usually homeless people hanging around begging for money or someone using the WiFi and not buying anything, and taking up seating areas in the process. I've seen several people asked at the same time for doing this. Never seen anyone refuse to leave. It's not uncommon around universities since kids just hang out there and displace paying customers. It's still wrong.

What color was the employee who called the police?

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    Starbucks is wrong.

However, when you're asked to leave a private business and you don't, you are illegally trespassing. It doesn't matter why you are asked to leave, because that's a civil matter. Trespassing is a criminal matter. If it was two white people no one would have thought anything about it. I've seen people asked to leave Starbucks countless times, usually homeless people hanging around begging for money or someone using the WiFi and not buying anything, and taking up seating areas in the process. I've seen several people asked at the same time for doing this. Never seen anyone refuse to leave. It's not uncommon around universities since kids just hang out there and displace paying customers. It's still wrong.

What color was the employee who called the police?

How do you think Starbucks is wrong? Youve stated that freeloaders taking up space is wrong but never explained how Starbucks is wrong. Asking skin color is mute. Assume for argument sake's that all parties (including cops and bystanders) were mixed race.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the two guys were Caucasian or Hispanic this would be a non-story.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a story because of the perspective that if they were Caucasian or Hispanic they probably wouldn't have been asked to leave.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a story because of the perspective that if they were Caucasian or Hispanic they probably wouldn't have been asked to leave.
    That's something a racist would say.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's something a racist would say.
    I don't know if it's right but I don't see how it's racist.

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    Can't argue or agree with that because I don't personally have anyone in my circle ty enough of a person to ignore common store policy and i haven't seen any stats on that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't argue or agree with that because I don't personally have anyone in my circle ty enough of a person to ignore common store policy and i haven't seen any stats on that.
    You don't have anyone in your circle who has waited somewhere for their whole party to arrive before ordering?

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    You don't have anyone in your circle who has waited somewhere for their whole party to arrive before ordering?
    I have stated twice asking if i'm missing something and you've replied 3 times. Did they ask them if they wanted to order? Not sure if your re ed or just don't bother to read.

My take away details, correct me if I'm wrong.

Two black guys sat at a Starbucks without ordering. One asked to use the bathroom, they replied it was for paying customers only, then asked them to leave (Not sure if they asked him if he wanted to order first or not) He refused to leave. Cops were called and asked him to leave, they refused.

I would have either ordered a coffee or stated i was there for a meeting and was waiting for the other guy to order.

What is missing from this story?
    Last edited by sickdsm; 04-15-2018 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Mistook Spurt from Spurm

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Starbucks is wrong.

However, when you're asked to leave a private business and you don't, you are illegally trespassing.
    Then, they're not wrong.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When you're black, it's always about race in a racist society
    I think you're mocking your own p.o.v.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "We apologize to the two individuals and our customers and are disappointed this led to an arrest. We take these matters seriously and clearly have more work to do when it comes to how we handle incidents in our stores. We are reviewing our policies and will continue to engage with the community and the police department to try to ensure these types of situations never happen in any of our stores."

Later that night, Starbucks CEO Kevin Johnson issued another apology, saying the company is investigating and will make any necessary changes to their practices. He also says he hopes to meet the two men personally to offer a face-to-face apology.
    Would Starbucks be issuing this apology if they weren't black? Cos my take then is that you're allowed to stay in the store as long as you want, and there is nothing them or the po-po can do about it?

No? SMDH Corporate sycophants.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have stated twice asking if i'm missing something and you've replied 4 times. Did they ask them if they wanted to order? Not sure if your re ed or just don't bother to read.
    Actually, I just didn't bother to reply to your OP. I chose to instead reply to the latest post in the thread at the time, then you replied to that post, at which point I responded to your reply. It is fairly common message board practice to join a conversation in a thread without first registering one's opinion on the original post.

ANYHOO... Sounds like the manager said they need to order something or leave, so I wouldn't say they were "asked."

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    Actually, I just didn't bother to reply to your OP. I chose to instead reply to the latest post in the thread at the time, then you replied to that post, at which point I responded to your reply. It is fairly common message board practice to join a conversation in a thread without first registering one's opinion on the original post.

ANYHOO... Sounds like the manager said they need to order something or leave, so I wouldn't say they were "asked."
    Translation: You didn't read the thread. You replied based on what you already assumed it was. You cherry picked the replies. Then you are arguing on semantics. Are you 12?

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    Nevermind. You used the word ANYHOO. You are probably 12.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Translation: You didn't read the thread. You replied based on what you already assumed it was. You cherry picked the replies. Then you are arguing on semantics. Are you 12?
    I read the thread. I chose not to reply to your OP, as has happened thousands of times on this forum.

Your feelings seem hurt by this. I'm sorry for offending you.

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    I read the thread. I chose not to reply to your OP, as has happened thousands of times on this forum.

Your feelings seem hurt by this. I'm sorry for offending you.
    Instinct to apologize without merit is a sign of weakness, or a young age.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, the difference between asking someone if they want to order and telling customers to leave because they haven't ordered is more than a semantic difference.

Thread Information