Page 60 of 90 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470 ... LastLast
Results 1,476 to 1,500 of 2228
    Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So much this. I've expressed disgust with how we played the first 3 games and got blasted by morons like Obstructed_view who somehow don't know how spurs basketball is supposed to be played.
    Actually you said they played poorly in game 3 when they didn't. I simply suggested, along with at least two other people, that you didn't watch the game. Almost none of your characterizations of game three were accurate.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is Anderson's defense really as good as it is on paper? It seems he's done a wonderful job containing the top 2 picks of this draft, but I'm not sure if it's his defense as much as it's them missing make-able shots.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So, anyway...

I thought this was Austin Daye's best game. He actually had a sequence where he looked like he was trying hard. He executed a perfect pick-and-pop for a three that made me yell for him. Yeah, he then shot two more of them and clanged them. Kind of redeemed himself the next trip down when he could have jacked up another, but instead threw a perfect swing pass for a three. Very nicely done. He also had a great no-look pass on the break for a hockey assist. He also had one of the ugliest one-on-three fast breaks I've seen in a while. At least we know he's capable of moving at something approaching full speed. Now for him to try to do it for an entire game. Grant Hill pretty much said what we've all said about Daye, in that there's just something not right about him, wondering aloud why he isn't a whole lot better.

Jeff Ayres was really good in this game. Was it "good for Jeff Ayres", good? Probably. But given the way he's played in SL, this was nearly "great for Jeff Ayres", good. He had some really good passes, caught almost everything that came his way, set proper screens, handled the ball well, and was in good position at almost all times. Funny how much better the team looks when their inside bigs aren't doing stupid .

Kyle Anderson can put up numbers when he's got the ball in his hands once in a while. It was kind of refreshing to see him get a chance to distribute a bit, though there wasn't nearly enough motion on offense for much of the game. I'd like to see Bullet Time running point every time he's on the floor, but I'm starting to feel like the Spurs know he's going to get chances to play later on and they can put Anderson into some situations that make him work while they evaluate guys like Morris and Cotton to see if they have any value. Yes and no, respectively. Saw more to indicate that Kyle's a good defender and a deceptive leaper.

Morris is intriguing when he's on. Does some boneheaded crap, but it's summer league. I think he could be pretty solid as a backup, but I don't think he has any range. That kills most of the guys on the team.

Green's almost certainly going to get an invite to camp based on his hustle, his defense, and his smarts. I'm not entirely sure that Green has made a silly mistake in four games, which would make him the only one.

Have I mentioned how much I wish Deshaun Thomas were about half a foot taller? Sigh. He's such a good post player, and he's a good inside player, but he just doesn't have any ability to play above the rim.

I like pretty much everyone on this team, and I'm rooting for all of them. I think Vander Blue and Ejim and maybe even McKinney-Jones could scare up some interest from other teams. Xavi Ray has his moments. Not enough of them, though. Been a really fun summer league so far.
    Last edited by Obstructed_View; 07-17-2014 at 12:41 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like that kid Blue, and Rey I thought was good too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is Anderson's defense really as good as it is on paper? It seems he's done a wonderful job containing the top 2 picks of this draft, but I'm not sure if it's his defense as much as it's them missing make-able shots.
    Not sure. There's still no indication that he's any kind of lock-down individual defender, but he's not nearly as slow as people say, and his arms are just stupid long. He's done a pretty darn good job, especially considering many people's expectations. He really frustrated Wiggins, picking his pocket in the open court and drawing a frustration foul. For every steal he gets, there's probably almost two that he causes for his teammates. He's really good at redirecting rebounds to the right spots. I mentioned this a few games back, but after he lost his man a few times in game one, he hasn't done it at all (that I've seen) since. If his man shoots, he's in the area with a hand up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nope, watched the last one. And there is no way you can say that KA played better than Daye if you watched the game, or just read the box.
    Smarter people than you have been dazzled by Daye's size and ability to almost be really good.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    caught almost everything that came his way,
    Well he caught about half of them, the rest he managed to grab after the ball bounced off his hands.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Given his BBIQ + size, along with what we've seen in SL, I think KA will at least be capable of being an average defender. A lot of people were saying he'd be a complete liability on D given his lack of athleticism, but I'm not so sure. He's never going to be a lockdown defender, but he won't be taken advantage of night in and night out IMO. He's done a great job on both Wiggins and Parker, which is pretty encouraging considering Wiggins is one of the most athletic players in his draft class and Parker was supposed to be the most NBA-ready offensive player.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i lost focus by half time. i couldn't believe how good the team looked, overall. I especially like Green. I agree with anybody who's calling for him to have a training camp invite. I think he can make the roster. Ayers can just get cut if it comes down to it. I'll also give Daye some credit for looking better than i initially thought.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Antetokounpo and Cabocoulo fuel my doubts about stashing LJC. i think there is a similarity there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Antetokounpo and Cabocoulo fuel my doubts about stashing LJC. i think there is a similarity there.
    I don't see any of their cases as being remotely similar.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    let's get the SL 'ship tbh...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    KA offensive moves remind me a lot of Paul Pierce

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Given his BBIQ + size, along with what we've seen in SL, I think KA will at least be capable of being an average defender. A lot of people were saying he'd be a complete liability on D given his lack of athleticism, but I'm not so sure. He's never going to be a lockdown defender, but he won't be taken advantage of night in and night out IMO. He's done a great job on both Wiggins and Parker, which is pretty encouraging considering Wiggins is one of the most athletic players in his draft class and Parker was supposed to be the most NBA-ready offensive player.
    During another bad shooting display, Daye helped Parker to a poor showing by playing some solid defense, and helping Parker commit 7 turnovers...Daye had 4 assists and only one turnover in 16+ minutes. He is a jumpshot away from dominating the game, really. Still leading the team in rebounding. The other teams have been lucky he doesn't have a jumpshot at this point. He and Anderson did well.

Transition 3 Willbreaker Captivus's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was kind of refreshing to see him get a chance to distribute a bit, though there wasn't nearly enough motion on offense for much of the game..
    Exactly. I believe we will actually see how good he is once he plays with a few NBA players.
    Shame Mills is injured, having a shooter like him playing with KA would have been great to see.

Transition 3 Willbreaker Captivus's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like that kid Blue, and Rey I thought was good too.
    Really? I didnt like any of them. Blue was trying to shoot every time he had the ball and Rey made stupid mistakes (fuols).
    Looking at the box score, Blue didnt do as bad as I thought watching the game...

MIL: Wolters looked good IMO. He needs the ball more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ESPN gave KA a "B" for yesterday, and used a funny sort-of-complimentary horror movie analogy.

Kyle Anderson, San Antonio Spurs | Grade: B
    Anderson’s drives have a horror-film sense of impending doom to them, as they’re so slow that you actually have time to imagine all the ways it could go horribly wrong. The thing is, Anderson is the rare intelligent protagonist, as he often steps or fakes his way out of danger at the last moment to make defenders look foolish. Of course you wish he could speed up the form on his jumper so he could unfurl it quicker against closing defenders, but what can you say? He plays to his own beat. -- Foster

espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/69859/las-vegas-summer-league-day-6-grades

Last edited by BillMc; 07-17-2014 at 08:27 AM.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kyle Anderson can put up numbers when he's got the ball in his hands once in a while. It was kind of refreshing to see him get a chance to distribute a bit, though there wasn't nearly enough motion on offense for much of the game. I'd like to see Bullet Time running point every time he's on the floor, but I'm starting to feel like the Spurs know he's going to get chances to play later on and they can put Anderson into some situations that make him work while they evaluate guys like Morris and Cotton to see if they have any value. Yes and no, respectively. Saw more to indicate that Kyle's a good defender and a deceptive leaper.
    Excellent take as always, thank you.

Like I said once before, at this point I think Pop already knows how they are going to use Kyle, as a distributor, facilitator, and creator, and maybe even some at the point doing what he does best.
    They may be putting him in various situations now to see what else he has off the ball as well as how he defends certain positions.
    I don't think they have had a player this good, at so many skill levels in a long time. It is a luxury for the Spurs.

I, for one, will be very surprised if he even sees the Toros at this point, much more plays for them, and would not be surprised if he breaks into the rotation sooned than expected at least on the second team and especially since Mills will be out for so long. He will never replace Mills 3 pt. shooting, but in just about every other category he should exceed. Mills better get well fast.

Pop will be scratching his head trying to figure out the best places and times to put him in the game in order to best use him, but what a nice problem to have.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anderson is an intriguing and unique prospect who with a little fine tuning could prove to be really useful in the future. If he can work on his jumper and continues to play the point he'll be getting up shots against smaller PG and SG easily which will no doubt cause bigger defenders to switch on to him which will really disrupt the opposition's way of playing if they are forced to bring bigger players out to the perimeter.

Win. Whatever it Takes Whisky Dog's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Excellent take as always, thank you.

Like I said once before, at this point I think Pop already knows how they are going to use Kyle, as a distributor, facilitator, and creator, and maybe even some at the point doing what he does best.
    They may be putting him in various situations now to see what else he has off the ball as well as how he defends certain positions.
    I don't think they have had a player this good, at so many skill levels in a long time. It is a luxury for the Spurs.

I, for one, will be very surprised if he even sees the Toros at this point, much more plays for them, and would not be surprised if he breaks into the rotation sooned than expected at least on the second team and especially since Mills will be out for so long. He will never replace Mills 3 pt. shooting, but in just about every other category he should exceed. Mills better get well fast.

Pop will be scratching his head trying to figure out the best places and times to put him in the game in order to best use him, but what a nice problem to have.
    Looking good against summer league stiffs and fellow rookies is a long ways away from holding his own in the real game against real NBA comp. I would be surprised if he didn't get some Toros time to at least get game work on the system and stay sharp.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course you wish he could speed up the form on his jumper so he could unfurl it quicker against closing defenders, but what can you say? He plays to his own beat. -- Foster
    That's something I just noticed as I was watching those highlights from the last game.

Anderson's jumper is SLOOOOOW. Very deliberate. Reminds me of Vince Carter's form a bit, but slower.

KA and Chip are going to have their work cut out on that. It's going to have to improve if he is going to succeed in the league.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ESPN gave KA a "B" for yesterday, and used a funny sort-of-complimentary horror movie analogy.

Kyle Anderson, San Antonio Spurs | Grade: B
    Anderson’s drives have a horror-film sense of impending doom to them, as they’re so slow that you actually have time to imagine all the ways it could go horribly wrong. The thing is, Anderson is the rare intelligent protagonist, as he often steps or fakes his way out of danger at the last moment to make defenders look foolish. Of course you wish he could speed up the form on his jumper so he could unfurl it quicker against closing defenders, but what can you say? He plays to his own beat. -- Foster

espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/69859/las-vegas-summer-league-day-6-grades

Plays to his own beat. At this point I feel fairly positive Chip will tweak his shooting form and speed.

Anderson is an intriguing and unique prospect who with a little fine tuning could prove to be really useful in the future. If he can work on his jumper and continues to play the point he'll be getting up shots against smaller PG and SG easily which will no doubt cause bigger defenders to switch on to him which will really disrupt the opposition's way of playing if they are forced to bring bigger players out to the perimeter.

What a nice option to have, as if the Spurs didn't give opposing teams enough problems already.

Coming Off The Bench TheGoldStandard's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everytime I look at his shot there just a few tweaks to it that will make it much better. He brings the ball back too far because he s his head back when he shoots and I think he does that to create arc on his shot which he could correct if his shooting motion didn't go out into space but up above his head.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well he caught about half of them, the rest he managed to grab after the ball bounced off his hands.
    Truth. He bobbled a few, but managed to get ahold of them mostly. Lost a few out of bounds due to fumbling a catch.

Thread Information