Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My powers of reading failed me.
    It's all good. With the amount of out of touch s we have on this forum, it's not surprising you thought someone else was poo-pooing it.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was talking to rmt; you replied seconds before I did.

The CARES act was the best thing this country has done in a long time. It's just a shame the people got crumbs while big businesses reaped most of the benefits.
    It's pretty sad that breadcrumbs to the people to get caviar to the corporations legitimately is the best thing Trump has done in his term.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It still kinda surprises me that either major party wants to Santa Claus it up and shovel money out the door to keep tens of millions of jobless people housed and fed during a depression/pandemic.
    wrong, see the Dems' HEROES Act, which Moscow Mitch killed

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    wrong, see the Dems' HEROES Act, which Moscow Mitch killed
    see what, now?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His tweet this morning said we should delay the election.
    congress and the senate would have vote on moving election. 0% chance of that happening.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    congress and the senate would have vote on moving election. 0% chance of that happening.
    Thats good. No reason to delay election for a tiny flu

But u sure he cant do some presidential emergency law similar to disater/war acts?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yup

Trump attempting the old Bolivian Junta strategy now
    Demagoguing the electoral process leading up to the election and unleashing federal stormtroopers to crack down on "Democrat run" cities and states. The resemblance might be more than skin deep.
    Last edited by Winehole23; 07-30-2020 at 11:54 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thats good. No reason to delay election for a tiny flu

But u sure he cant do some presidential emergency law similar to disater/war acts?
    from what I have read so far Trump doesn't have the power to move it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    from what I have read so far Trump doesn't have the power to move it.
    Trump's not much on Cons utional niceties, but you're right. It's clearly spelled out in Article II that the US Congress sets the date.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A 33% reduction in the economy beats your expectations? God damn, it’s remarkable how Trump s think Trump is going to set America on a path towards prosperity yet they have rock bottom expectations they measure him against.
    It's not MY expectations - it's right there in that Amy Siskind tweet (which I don't know how to copy).

US second quarter GDP plunged by a record 32.9% vs 34.7% expected...

Economists surveyed by Dow Jones were looking for a decline of 34.7%.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/07/30/...mpression=true

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    break out the confetti

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A 33% reduction in the economy beats your expectations? God damn, it’s remarkable how Trump s think Trump is going to set America on a path towards prosperity yet they have rock bottom expectations they measure him against.
    But they beat expectations by like 1.4%! Doesn't she know that's comfortably within the margin of error for a projection (CI's are usually like 95%).

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    break out the confetti

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I suppose if it had not met expectations, you'd all be celebrating even more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I suppose if it had not met expectations, you'd all be celebrating even more.
    Oh yeah we're all happy Trump has trashed the economy. Great to see 1/3 of the country not able to make rent / mortgage and 155k official COVID deaths while all Trump cares about is defunding SS/Medicare and trying to take peoples' health insurance away.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At this point I’m convinced the only way we get real change in this country is with blood on the streets and rich people fearing for their lives, and millions of people getting evicted with no safety net to turn to is a big step in that direction.
    And the issue is the average American has just enough material comfort where it's "not worth it" to foment any kind of revolution, violent, peaceful, or otherwise. Most Americans know they're getting screwed, but it's just not worth it to sacrifice what you have. "Yeah, I know I'm getting ed. Life could be better, but life is pretty good and it could be worse." So yeah, your point is germane that it will take Americans losing that comfort in order to act. I don't see this as cowardice or anything, the risk/reward ratio just isn't large enough for your average American with a decent job, nice house, a couple of kids to risk it so we can force change.

Hopefully we'll figure it out. An elderly neighbor just passed away. Korean War vet. Worked all his life. Stacked medical bills of course and had to take out a reverse mortgage to pay the bills every month. So house is going to the bank. Meanwhile, Jeff Bezos makes 2500 dollars a second. That's basically my litmus test for a fair society. A society that has enabled someone to make 2500 per second is also a society that can easily take care of its less fortunate and vulnerable. People shouldn't be rendered des ute via medical bills and have to take out in' reverse mortgages in the same society that has produced 500 billionaires.

This is where the conservative pla ude of "personal responsibility" enters the chat. "If people were just more responsible, they wouldn't have to take out reverse mortgages." Funny thing is the rich are some of the most irresponsible people on the planet with their money, but there's always a host of bailouts, subsidies, and tax cuts to cover for their bad investments and shortsighted risk taking.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And the issue is the average American has just enough material comfort where it's "not worth it" to foment any kind of revolution, violent, peaceful, or otherwise. Most Americans know they're getting screwed, but it's just not worth it to sacrifice what you have. "Yeah, I know I'm getting ed. Life could be better, but life is pretty good and it could be worse." So yeah, your point is germane that it will take Americans losing that comfort in order to act. I don't see this as cowardice or anything, the risk/reward ratio just isn't large enough for your average American with a decent job, nice house, a couple of kids to risk it so we can force change.
    this is why i think social democracy is the best bet to salvage our overarching system, because disparity is only growing right now and could culminate in something a lot worse, that nobody wants to see. as you said, we aren't "there" yet but we are certainly creeping toward it. social democrat policies can bridge the gap somewhat without actually self-destructing our capitalist/market model

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The economy shrank at a 32.9% annualized rate in the last quarter and there were 1.4 million new unemployment claims as a result of the Trump Virus.
    Does no one here know what annualized rate means? If this quarter's rate continued for a solid year, it would be nearly 33%.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That not worth it calculation could change pretty rapidly if there is say 25% homelessness.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not MY expectations - it's right there in that Amy Siskind tweet (which I don't know how to copy).

Economists surveyed by Dow Jones were looking for a decline of 34.7%.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2020/07/30/...mpression=true
    This is an odd thing to nitpick.

This is like bragging about not losing by 30 points because the last shot that went in was after the buzzer. You still lost by 28.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Does no one here know what annualized rate means? If this quarter's rate continued for a solid year, it would be nearly 33%.
    Oh please, if we had the same decline in GDP during Obama’s term you’d be calling for his head.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh please, if we had the same decline in GDP during Obama’s term you’d be calling for his head.
    Why have none of these dip s in Washington created some kind of WPA program yet? I thought we needed a rehaul of our infrastructure? Create the program around that. We already have the proof of concept that it works.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yup

Trump attempting the old Bolivian Junta strategy now
    what a time to be alive

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This quarter was 9.5% decline. Not 33%.

Still terrible.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This quarter was 9.5% decline. Not 33%.

Still terrible.
    You still can’t wait to vote for Trump. Lol

Thread Information