Page 37 of 101 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940414787 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like the DDR deal. Collins was a pipe dream anyway. Young and Aminu will be off the books next year and now PATFO can't convince themselves to offer Lauri 4/80 or whatever.

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope those two white boys were worth striking out on John Collins. By signing McNugget and the crappy Collins, Spurs took away all their cap flexibility. They could have S&T DeMar AND made an offer to the good Collins. Instead, they used their 50 mil in cap space on garbage players

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We all wanted the young guys to get bigger roles, now that all the veterans are gone, our wish is granted. I wanted Collins, too, but at 30 million a year? Not worth it. He's a good player and a good fit for our roster, but I don't think he'd ever be an all-star in the West. Idk why are some of you talking about waiving Thad? He's a good rotation player and can even play some minutes at C. And we'll have $30M cap space again the next year. Biggest win here is that PATFO didn't waste it on useless scrubs like Markkanen or Oubre. Now it's on Derrick, DJ and Lonnie to show us what they got, it's about time. If they don't improve, we're in contention for a top5 pick. Win-win considering Brian Wright's (in)competence.
    Uh oh. Common sense alert! Should go over well with the cliff-jumpers.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My point was we had news on Collins and ATL agreeing to a deal. I agree with you on the rest. All this cap space and Pop and Wrong couldn’t even trade for HITA. absolutely garbage off-season.
    We had news on Atlanta getting shot down on a worse money offer than the Spurs could have made.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All that's left is to sign Kelly Oubre and be a top 5 bad team.
    Sounds good to me, I want the high draft pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How do we know that the Spurs didn't offer Collins the max and he simply said no?

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We all wanted the young guys to get bigger roles, now that all the veterans are gone, our wish is granted.

I wanted Collins, too, but at 30 million a year? Not worth it. He's a good player and a good fit for our roster, but I don't think he'd ever be an all-star in the West.
    Idk why are some of you talking about waiving Thad? He's a good rotation player and can even play some minutes at C.

And we'll have $30M cap space again the next year.

Biggest win here is that PATFO didn't waste it on useless scrubs like Markkanen or Oubre.

Now it's on Derrick, DJ and Lonnie to show us what they got, it's about time.

If they don't improve, we're in contention for a top5 pick. Win-win considering Brian Wright's (in)competence.
    So Collins isn't worth two McDermotts you're saying?

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    All the fluffers rationalized our guard heavy draft picks by insisting that the FO would sign one of Lauri or John Collins to fill the gaping hole we have in our big man rotation. To come away with neither makes the draft even worse in retrospect. Primo better be the next James Harden. Otherwise, it's looking like the worst draft pick in Spurs history.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope those two white boys were worth striking out on John Collins. By signing McNugget and the crappy Collins, Spurs took away all their cap flexibility. They could have S&T DeMar AND made an offer to the good Collins. Instead, they used their 50 mil in cap space on garbage players
    this

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We had news on Atlanta getting shot down on a worse money offer than the Spurs could have made.
    Collins isn’t worth 25 million a season. Look I think the FO sucks but I think it’s clear now we’re going full tank / see what the younguns have or don’t have. As composed this roster will challenge for a top three pick next year and have another 30+ million in cap room to play with for a much better free agent class.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even if we get a high pick next year... the front office will get an unknown projected second rounder ... because they slways know how to draft better than other teams....

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To clarify, by agreeing to three-year deals with Collins and McD, the Spurs left themselves the option to acquire those players in a S&T. That means, they could either wrap those players up in a deal for DeRozan or trade someone else for them. I don't really have a lot of time right now, but the Spurs could definitely acquire Collins, Collins and McDermott and S&T DeRozan for something else in the same off-season. That particular combo would require them to trade Murray or White (or some other combo that gets them to the $15-Million range). But if we were talking about like a Simmons trade, that might be necessary anyway.

One example:

Trade for J Collins to give ATL a TE
    Trade DeRozan and whatever for Simmons
    Trade Murray into the ATL TE while simultaneously trading with Portland and Indiana for McD and Z Collins

Simmons, Jones,
    White, Vassell, Primo, Jeffries
    McD, Johnson, Wieskamp
    Collins, Samanic, KBD
    Poeltl, Eubanks, Collins

Would probably let Jeffries go for a vet PG using the room exception.

Again just an example. The Spurs haven't even committed to being a cap-space team yet. They have a lot of options on how to structure their deals.
    This is an important distinction. They have left themselves open to working with the Blazers and/or Pacers on expanding into a larger deal but may have to throw pieces their way to incentivize them like second rounders.

No guarantee anything will be figured out, but it’s possible. Could reroute Young or Aminu to one of those teams too and make them S&Ts to stay over cap.

Or just put Young out there as a trade chip at deadline. Aminu can be used to salary match if taking on a contract plus pick.

And if ATL Collins just signs his QO, he will be an UFA next year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Collins was never gonna happen with this re ed FO, I'm just beyond happy that Depression is gone.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To clarify, by agreeing to three-year deals with Collins and McD, the Spurs left themselves the option to acquire those players in a S&T. That means, they could either wrap those players up in a deal for DeRozan or trade someone else for them. I don't really have a lot of time right now, but the Spurs could definitely acquire Collins, Collins and McDermott and S&T DeRozan for something else in the same off-season. That particular combo would require them to trade Murray or White (or some other combo that gets them to the $15-Million range). But if we were talking about like a Simmons trade, that might be necessary anyway.

One example:

Trade for J Collins to give ATL a TE
    Trade DeRozan and whatever for Simmons
    Trade Murray into the ATL TE while simultaneously trading with Portland and Indiana for McD and Z Collins

Simmons, Jones,
    White, Vassell, Primo, Jeffries
    McD, Johnson, Wieskamp
    Collins, Samanic, KBD
    Poeltl, Eubanks, Collins

Would probably let Jeffries go for a vet PG using the room exception.

Again just an example. The Spurs haven't even committed to being a cap-space team yet. They have a lot of options on how to structure their deals.
    This is an important distinction. They have left themselves open to working with the Blazers and/or Pacers on expanding into a larger deal but may have to throw pieces their way to incentivize them like second rounders.

No guarantee anything will be figured out, but it’s possible. Could reroute Young or Aminu to one of those teams too and make them S&Ts to stay over cap.

Or just put Young out there as a trade chip at deadline. Aminu can be used to salary match if taking on a contract plus pick.

And if ATL Collins just signs his QO, he will be an UFA next year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no Collins. Why the would we want Al Farouq Aminu? this front office
    wtf just happened

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    John Collins wasn't coming to this organization when the Hawks are coming off an ECF (albeit lucky one)

the Hawks would have matched anything the Spurs signed him to (they already offered him 5yr/125mil)...if anything Collins was going to use Wrong to squeeze a couple of extra mil a year but him coming here was a pipe dream

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds good to me, I want the high draft pick.
    So that we can waste the high draft pick on second round talent?

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It looks more and more like the front office went with a plan of signing Chumps for Chet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First deal of the off season that I like. Three picks, and two contracts that both end after next year. Thaddeus Young had a great season last year, and is a generally underrated guy. DeRozan being gone tells Derrick, Devin, Lonnie, KJ, and Dejounte that it's time to start getting more aggressive and taking the reins.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    John Collins wasn't coming to this organization when the Hawks are coming off an ECF (albeit lucky one)

the Hawks would have matched anything the Spurs signed him to (they already offered him 5yr/125mil)...if anything Collins was going to use Wrong to squeeze a couple of extra mil a year but him coming here was a pipe dream
    not as unrealistic as you think tbh. The Hawks are trying to avoid the luxury tax and extended Young. Signing Collins to the max would put them in the luxury tax from next year on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    RIP the J Collins dream

It was always very likely he'd stay in ATL anyways.

Sidenote: I think Luka Samanic is about to find out he needs to compete harder than last year for minutes.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So Collins isn't worth two McDermotts you're saying?
    Two and then some. And I don't think he's worth it.
    McDermott is a 40% 3pt shooter and will always be easy to trade, maybe even this season.
    He'll be a role player. Catch and shoot, run around screens, some cuts and that's it.

John Collins is a flashy player. Everyone remembers the highlights, but what are his actual skills to warrant a max deal?
    He's an average defender at best, nothing special. Won't get targeted, but he's too slow to be a defensive stopper on the perimeter and too weak to guard the post.

He's a good 3pt shooter, but he was the guy you let shoot on that Hawks team. He'll hit them, but almost every perimeter shot he makes is wide open.
    He's an amazing athlete, but offers absolutely no shot creation. He can't do anything by himself unless it's a huge mismatch.

Idk about you, but I vivdly remember a game from last season and Collins not being able to score on Keldon. Couldn't even move him in the post. He's got no moves.
    And we don't have a Trae type of playmaker who'd just feed him lobs and easy dunks.

Again, a good player, but we're so desperate for a big move that we'll accept anything. A borderline Eastern conference all-star like Collins, even.
    He'd never make the ASG in the West.

I'd be mad if we signed Markkanen because he's garbage. Same goes for Oubre.
    I'd be happy if we got Collins, but what would he actually do for this team?

If Derrick, DJ and Lonnie don't improve now that the veterans are gone, Collins adds nothing.
    And then we'd be stuck with his huge contract that's a big overpay. He's not worth more than like $20M per season.
    Last edited by LeBowen; 08-03-2021 at 03:45 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    plz tell me spurs have another move

Believe.
    My Team
    Anybody but Spurs
    Post Count
    Collins isn’t worth 25 million a season. Look I think the FO sucks but I think it’s clear now we’re going full tank / see what the younguns have or don’t have. As composed this roster will challenge for a top three pick next year and have another 30+ million in cap room to play with for a much better free agent class.
    Rather have John Collins at $25 mil over McNugget/crappy Collins at a combined $21 mil.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information