My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Every future month in the year 2020:

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So we are suffering from the NEW strain since March.
    Thank you for your accurate chronology hater.

can i get a "called it" from the peoples of the congregation of Is Getting Real ...

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wonder if this mutated strain is behind the lower death rates vs what we saw in Wuhan. All things being equal you'd probably expect more contagious less deadly strains to develop and become dominant from natural selection?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So we are suffering from the NEW strain since March.
    Thank you for your accurate chronology hater.

can i get a "called it" from the peoples of the congregation of Is Getting Real ...
    Mid-March which is when things closed down. Who knows? Maybe the West Coast and most of America got the less contagious strain and are sitting ducks for the new one.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry to ruin your day, Hater.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wonder if this mutated strain is behind the lower death rates vs what we saw in Wuhan. All things being equal you'd probably expect more contagious less deadly strains to develop and become dominant from natural selection?
    lower?? you mean higher

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^And Dr. Rasmussen's comment chain shreds that article pretty mercilessly. Good read.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    btw Im not saying this is more lethal

noone knows that yet

but the letha y of the Iran/Spain/Italy virus was more than Wuhan

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mid-March which is when things closed down. Who knows? Maybe the West Coast and most of America got the less contagious strain and are sitting ducks for the new one.
    The article basically says the first strain was in Wuhan China, the strain we have now is NOT a new strain from the one the entire US has been subject to.
    I was attempting to make fun of his NEW strain "we will all now die" original feeling. Hes always exaggerating. A few poster have already caught it during the first few posts. The article also then led to the implication that some people in China may not be immune to the Euro-US-rest of the world strain hater is calling new.

Thats how I read it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, the new strain is just as deadly as the Wuhan strain AND more infectious. The thought is California has the
    Wuhan strain while New York has the mutated strain via italy/Europe.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lower?? you mean higher
    No

long term it might be lower if a virus kills or disables its host before it can be spread effectively.
    Cold viruses are not going anywhere because they usually dont kill the hosts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lower?? you mean higher
    you'd expect lower death rates. viruses do better when they spread more, obviously. killing off your host too quickly/effectively doesnt give you enough chance to spread. it's why the flu and cold are so successful

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    pgardn beat me to it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, the new strain is just as deadly as the Wuhan strain AND more infectious. The thought is California has the
    Wuhan strain while New York has the mutated strain via italy/Europe.
    Key statement below: I would say the article is a bit confusing and could have used some graphics.
    Also they did not say anything about California yet but I would have to believe its the "new" strain if there is no report.

The new strain appeared in February in Europe, migrated quickly to the East Coast of the United States and has been the dominant strain across the world since mid-March, the scientists wrote

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this is worrying but the fact that only about 20% New Yorkers infected (according to antibody test) is even more worrying

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this also explains why some ppl cant shake the virus. this is very much like a flu virus imo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this also explains why some ppl cant shake the virus. this is very much like a flu virus imo
    The symptoms are lasting longer without secondary infections necessarily being the cause of death (which is why most people die from the flu virus.)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No

long term it might be lower if a virus kills or disables its host before it can be spread effectively.
    Cold viruses are not going anywhere because they usually dont kill the hosts.
    Yeah look how tame the 2009 H1N1 was vs the 1918 H1N1.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah look how tame the 2009 H1N1 was vs the 1918 H1N1.
    Well we also have vaccines now which if they don’t stop the infection, often make the symptoms milder.
    More importantly we have antibiotics to kill secondary infections. In WWI they were not really even used. Those poor folks still had sulfadrugs for surface wounds to kill bacteria. You could not take the Trumpian route of inhaling sulfadrugs to kill bacterial secondary infections from the flu. I wonder if anyone actually tried it...

And that’s really a huge difference between this beast and most flu viruses. This thing basically is causing our own body to overdo the immune response as snakeboy has pointed out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well we also have vaccines now which if they don’t stop the infection, often make the symptoms milder.
    More importantly we have antibiotics to kill secondary infections. In WWI they were not really even used. Those poor folks still had sulfadrugs for surface wounds to kill bacteria. You could not take the Trumpian route of inhaling sulfadrugs to kill bacterial secondary infections from the flu. I wonder if anyone actually tried it...

And that’s really a huge difference between this beast and most flu viruses. This thing basically is causing our own body to overdo the immune response as snakeboy has pointed out.
    Didn't a lot of people get violently ill immiately and die quickly in a day or two from H1N1 in 1918 though too? If that was tamed by evolution by natural selection hopefully similar will happen over the years with SARSCov2. Not like we're ever likely to be rid of it.

Thread Information