Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not worried about this yet. There has been no reason to put a closing lineup on the floor in the preseason. If Pop's closing lineup doesn't regularly include both Murray and White then I would be concerned, but it will take a regular season game or two to find that out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thought Pop saw White as Ginobili part two. So far, it looks like Pop considers White to be Jacque Vaughn part 2.

If it continues into the season I will quit, tbh.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hey timvp can we finally get rid of the tandem of a certain kawhi thread and the spurs forum

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is what I am assuming...

You start Murray...White...and Derozan...who is left to run your second unit?
    You don't necessarily have to pull both out at the same time.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You don't necessarily have to pull both out at the same time.
    you don't...but somebody has to run the second unit...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    you don't...but somebody has to run the second unit...
    I know it’s not happening anytime soon. But I think they should accelerate Spoon’s development. He has the poise to become a true PG, plus the body to defend, unlike Mills. Imo Spoon is the answer to get Murray/White playing together in the starting line up.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know it’s not happening anytime soon. But I think they should accelerate Spoon’s development. He has the poise to become a true PG, plus the body to defend, unlike Mills. Imo Spoon is the answer to get Murray/White playing together in the starting line up.
    I totally agree...but he is on a two way...so not happening this year...and next year he is going to have to compete with mills and whatever trash ass castoff guard we sign in the off season to replace marco...so i am not getting my hopes up

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree completely... I don't get why pairing them up for just a look wouldn't be something to experiment with in the pre-season. That would also give guys like Forbes and Mills more time against the bench players of opposing teams rather than starters.
    DeRozan is a big part of the problem-- if he shot the three, I think pairing two average shooters in the back court wouldn't be as much of an issue. But with a non shooting SF, maybe Pop feels there's not enough spacing. I still contend that trading DeRozan would be the solution. He was an enormous net negative in the playoffs, and is a No 3 & little D player in an era when 3 & D is the golden benchmark that most teams aim for.

Not to mention Mills and Forbes next to each other isn't too hot either

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    [everyone at the end of the season] There is NO WAY that White and DJ can play together.
    [everyone now] WTF? Why isn't Pop playing them together?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Greg Popovich said that he would retire when Timmy retires. Timmy retired, and Pop hasn’t.
    Pop said that when his wife was living.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For record keeping purposes, Murray and White ended up playing together in preseason for a grand total of zero seconds. How long will that continue into the regular season? That'll be one of the most interesting subplots early on, IMO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop was doing 6-7 minute stints for both of them. Would be insane if he continues that since it would mean both White and IB would only average 24-26 mpg. His pets Wombat and Belli have to eat though.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this tandem wont materialize bc they do not match. They r both a pg and cant play on the other position. DJ needs a 3pt shooters around him and there is no place for white. On the other hand, white needs a defender and 3pt shooter. U can say that dj is a great defender but he wouldnt add anything else being next to white.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If this holds, it probably means White is on the bench at the end of games. I doubt Murray would be ok with sitting during those times.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this tandem wont materialize bc they do not match. They r both a pg and cant play on the other position.
    In today's NBA, they can both easily defend 1 and 2 ... and probably 3.

DJ needs a 3pt shooters around him and there is no place for white.
    DeRozan is a three-point shooter and will play 48 minutes per game?

On the other hand, white needs a defender and 3pt shooter.
    Belinelli and Mills are defenders?

U can say that dj is a great defender but he wouldnt add anything else being next to white.

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

DeRozan is a three-point shooter and will play 48 minutes per game?.

Belinelli and Mills are defenders?

hope ddr will play 0min in spurs jersay, hes not a 3pt shooter like noone (except belli) in a roster

belli? mills? srlsly?? old slow veteran and overpaid bench role player??

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still waiting.

Maybe this is Pop's way of forcing himself not to overplay Murray? Murray can't play more than about half the game if Murray and White aren't allowed to play together. Kinda weird but I guess it's a viable plan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly, it's Forbes that has to lose minutes/get hurt for this to happen more often. White is really a SG...

hope and change
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White needs to shoot the 3 better and more often, then they can play together. hopefully he's working on his 3 point shot as much as Murray is, though for some reason I doubt it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess we will have to wait till the playoffs when we are in an elimination game and down 20 to see this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At least he played Forbes and Mills together

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    White needs to shoot the 3 better and more often, then they can play together. hopefully he's working on his 3 point shot as much as Murray is, though for some reason I doubt it
    Somehow I felt that making the final USMNT does him more harm than good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the lost against Celtics, Pop played both Murray and White together, albeit for a mere 2 minutes. With the disastrous defensive showing last game, can we expect to start seeing Murray/White combo? I think Pop could stagger Murray/White/Demar to play PG/Combo to facilitate the offense and play Carroll more in SF, and avoid any combination of Forbes/Mills/Beli out there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the lost against Celtics, Pop played both Murray and White together, albeit for a mere 2 minutes. With the disastrous defensive showing last game, can we expect to start seeing Murray/White combo? I think Pop could stagger Murray/White/Demar to play PG/Combo to facilitate the offense and play Carroll more in SF, and avoid any combination of Forbes/Mills/Beli out there.
    Nah. I'm pretty sure it had more to do with the hockey line sub he made early in the 1st Qtr than him finally seeing the light. As he was subbing the starters back in he accidentally paired them before quickly realizing "oh I need more spacing, get out there Bryn".

Gotta admit though, that White/Murray/DD/Gay/LMA line-up we saw for those two minutes was pretty arousing. That's the line-up I always envisioned would be the closing/playoff line-up. For a second, I got a small glimmer of hope that Pop was finally going to play his best horses to try to get back into the game. Then he quickly crushed that hope.

Enemy of the FCC and AMA Dr. John R. Brinkley's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Starting lineup needs defense bad. DJ, White, Carrol, Lyles, LMA. Seems reasonable to me, then let the second come in to get points. Minutes would be staggered, but some changes beed to be made.

Thread Information