Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One thing that could ultimately really help Rui's stock is his Japan roots. In baseball, some owners don't even count the money that they pay Japanese players because they'll make it all back in added ad revenue from Japan. In Rui's case, an owner could demand that he be drafted because the owner would profit off of the rookie deal.

That said, Japan isn't exactly known for the willingness to embrace biracial athletes so maybe not. Difficult to say for sure but that could tip the scale for a few teams ahead of the Spurs who may not otherwise have him atop their draft board.
    this is what I was thinking. Spurs could expand into the Japanese market which they haven't done yet and it could become some type of hype like we had with Manu and all the Argentinians coming to the games and buying jerseys. That helps small market teams and we've been known for having a lot of international players on the team. The kid is just a perfect fit and is already a Spurs fan. Would love to have him and Cam Johnson

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ... [Rui is] a bonafide NBA player at this point; ...
    No he is not, not even close. He'd need a full year in Austin, at least.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Definitely not taking talent evaluations from the guy who thinks Jimmer is worth a and the emo guy who almost killed himself because Pop ruined his life

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That logic.
    'I don't know about the dude, but if you say he's a cornerstone, the Lonnie has to be too.'
    Fanboy crush apparently.
    Don't ever confuse your lack of reading comprehension with how sound my logic is. I never argued that lonnie was better or worse than Rui, just that he's also got an NBA body, is humble, coachable, and under the Spurs development system he could turn into a special player. The same things robyz said about Rui, minus the polished offensive game. I don't have to know Rui to know the Spurs would likely give him the g league treatment his first year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It'll have absolutely nothing to do with that. They're not even the same positions.

As it stands, you're overly optimistic in an unpractical way.

Lonnie has yet to show anything outside of athleticism that he'll be that player. We can hope. I'll admit it's still early in the process.

I just watched a full season of bryn ing forbes as a starter. I don't think lonnie, with two years of development under his belt, would be any less capable in filling that role. And yes, that is based on optimism.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hachimura has more polish offensive game, prototype physical profile, he's humble, coachable kid, he has good chance with spurs develop system to become corner stone player...
    Coming out of college, who had the more polished offensive game is up for debate. Hachimura has more moves; Walker had a better shot. Obviously, Walker is more polished now.

Hachimura, at this point, has no clue how to play team defense. If he isn't on the ball, he's either staring into the clouds or running around like a chicken with his head cut off.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's an interesting article from RealGM about how Hachimura feels compelled to be the face of Japan's FIBA Basketball. As he said, this could be a lot of pressure for him, so it sounds like he knows the responsibility and importance this would be for Japan, FIBA and the NBA. IF the Spurs were to draft this guy, as another poster pointed out, this could be another Manu-like sensation, thus adding another fandom to be added to the Spurs' popularity, especially from an international standpoint. It's also gonna be interesting to see how Rui will handle this pressure, but IF the Spurs were to draft him, it's unsure if this could be a distraction for him or the team, but on the other hand, this may also be the organization that can help him to excel with reaching the Japanese fanbase, as well as to help him to cope with the pressures and the responsibilities of being the face of basketball in Japan. On one hand, could SA be too small of a market to build his brand from? But either way, this could be a lot on his shoulders when the time comes. Here's the article:
    RealGM WiretapRealGM Wiretap
    Rui Hachimura: I Want To Be Face Of Basketball In Japan.
    MAY 31, 2019
    Rui Hachimura described his excitement of leading a resurgence of interest in Japanese basketball following the national team's recent success.
    Hachimura averaged 21.5 points and 6.0 rebounds in leading Japan to its first World Cup appearance in 13 years.
    "Basketball's getting bigger in Japan and I want to be the guy, the face of it. I'm so excited about it. I want to be the guy who can be the whole well-rounded athlete for Japan," said Hachimura.
    Hachimura added that he feels outside pressure from sneaker companies eager to develop his brand.
    "Shoe companies tell me I'm going to be big. It's a bit of pressure. People expect me to be great, but it's not a big deal for me. I just have to do whatever I can on the basketball court and the rest will take care of itself."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’d be thrilled if we draft this guy but I just don’t see it happening

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I just watched a full season of bryn ing forbes as a starter. I don't think lonnie, with two years of development under his belt, would be any less capable in filling that role. And yes, that is based on optimism.
    Bryn has offensive functionality that Walker doesn't possess, namely being reliable from three to space the court.

I'm not prognosticating anything detrimental for Lonnie. I'm simply saying that he has a lot of work to do in all areas of the game; and we don't know if he'll get there or not.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’d be thrilled if we draft this guy but I just don’t see it happening
    Next to impossible unless Spurs trade an asset.

13 4 18 16 12 17 19 . https://hoopshype.com/2019/05/15/201...ttery-results/

1 in 7 chance that he's available at 19.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bryn has offensive functionality that Walker doesn't possess, namely being reliable from three to space the court.

I'm not prognosticating anything detrimental for Lonnie. I'm simply saying that he has a lot of work to do in all areas of the game; and we don't know if he'll get there or not.
    I agree with you in that Lonnie has a lot of work to do on his game, and no one knows for sure how he'll turn out. My point in bringing up Forbes is that you don't have to have a polished all around game to be a capable starter. Bryn is an undrafted, undersized SG who worked on his game, and found himself starting his third year (albeit due to injuries). Lonnie has a much higher ceiling, and his shot isn't broken. The thought of him being a reliable three point shooter, and capable starter going into his third year, isn't that farfetched for me.

Getting back to the thread topic.. If Rui is the player you believe him to be, I'd be more than happy for the Spurs to get him. I'd just rather it be because of him falling to us, rather than trading a young asset + 19 for him.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with you in that Lonnie has a lot of work to do on his game, and no one knows for sure how he'll turn out. My point in bringing up Forbes is that you don't have to have a polished all around game to be a capable starter. Bryn is an undrafted, undersized SG who worked on his game, and found himself starting his third year (albeit due to injuries). Lonnie has a much higher ceiling, and his shot isn't broken. The thought of him being a reliable three point shooter, and capable starter going into his third year, isn't that farfetched for me.

Getting back to the thread topic.. If Rui is the player you believe him to be, I'd be more than happy for the Spurs to get him. I'd just rather it be because of him falling to us, rather than trading a young asset + 19 for him.
    You don't have to sell me hard on the ridiculousness of Bryn being a starter. Sure, it works when he's in a groove; but overall it's a poor idea. I said he and Mills needed to not even be in the rotation for Game 7 (short of possible spot minutes), and the ST wankers did not like that.

Offensively, I can live with the peaks and valleys for Bryn though; so, it's not that. The fact is he's arguably the worst defensive guard in the league. It's probably between him and Isiah Thomas (even pre-injury).

As for Rui, he's 12th on ESPN's list of best available players, and that's probably low based on some younger or more athletic players getting the benefit of the doubt. He's legit pushing top five best available, imo. There's nothing on our non duo core that should be off the table for that type of player. But I don't know if we'll find a sucker. Nobody is eager to be the next Indiana Pacers (Kawhi Leonard) when it comes to trading down to the Spurs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unlike most players in the draft, Rui already has experience playing against proven NBA players. He plays on the men's national team for Japan and led them to a win over Australia in the FIBA World Cup Qualifiers last year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unlike most players in the draft, Rui already has experience playing against proven NBA players. He plays on the men's national team for Japan and led them to a win over Australia in the FIBA World Cup Qualifiers last year.

Hachimura > Mills confirmed

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    as an nba player there is no time to around if you want to be great...
    I'll always remember Kawhi's interview at the Rookie Sophmore gamme he first participated in.. Said something alomg the lines of "it's great but I wanna be an all star every year" dude wasn't ing around

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if PAFTO like Rui over Luka Samanic. If they are both available, my gut tells me they prefer the latter.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i don't think so, lonnie has questionable heart, more into instagram, hairstyle, his game also much more imature at this point, much more of a project overall...
    oh now you dont speak english again

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not prognosticating anything detrimental
    lol bustin out the thesaurus

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know this thread Is suppose to be about Rui lol but the thing that worries me about Lonnie is his work ethic. I know we joke about dejounte being an Instagram baller but at least he’s in the gym. I follow most of the spurs players on Instagram and most of the guys are always posting stuff in the gym but I never see Lonnie post anything of him working out, getting shots up, etc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know this thread Is suppose to be about Rui lol but the thing that worries me about Lonnie is his work ethic. I know we joke about dejounte being an Instagram baller but at least he’s in the gym. I follow most of the spurs players on Instagram and most of the guys are always posting stuff in the gym but I never see Lonnie post anything of him working out, getting shots up, etc.
    Um, not to make this a Murray thread, but DJM's way of handling social media isn't the only or best way. Lonnie came back from two injuries and improved massively over the course of the season. You don't do that with a work ethic. Do you make posts of you at work or getting ready for work, or do you post about fun stuff you do or random thoughts? Walker was probably a regular dude when he got his media accounts. There's nothing wrong with him using them like that rather than like a platform to build his brand. And no, there's nothing wrong with DJM using them like he does either. Different strokes and all that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ironically, I heard just today that Walker has gained ten pounds of muscle already this offseason. The Spurs wanted him to gain 15 pounds of muscle over the summer and he's already 2/3rds of the way there...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ironically, I heard just today that Walker has gained ten pounds of muscle already this offseason. The Spurs wanted him to gain 15 pounds of muscle over the summer and he's already 2/3rds of the way there...
    Sounds like the dude is gonna be asked to guard threes. He was already solid when he came into the league. Wonder how it'll affect his hops.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He already looked like he gained muscle mass at the end of the season. Kid already has an NBA body. If he adds another 15 pounds he will be brolic and more like an SF rather than SG. I expect him to have a consistent role next season

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Walker will be asked to defend threes, could that mean PATFO won't target a SF at the draft?

Thread Information