Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Prime Aldridge was 23 pts 11 rebs. Yes, are you kidding me? With our current roster, we get to the Finals with that.
    Really? You think a DeRozan, Aldridge lead team would make it to the NBA finals in the West? Well, I guess that's why some people want to keep DeMar.

Basketball isn't as easy as adding 23 pts, 11 rbds and saying will win it all. It doesn't work thag way. You have to see how the team gels together.

DeRozan and Aldridge are extremely flawed players that don't elevate the games of those around them, I just don't see how they would take us to the finals.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Really? You think a DeRozan, Aldridge lead team would make it to the NBA finals in the West? Well, I guess that's why some people want to keep DeMar.

Basketball isn't as easy as adding 23 pts, 11 rbds and saying will win it all. It doesn't work thag way. You have to see how the team gels together.

DeRozan and Aldridge are extremely flawed players that don't elevate the games of those around them, I just don't see how they would take us to the finals.

Derozan hasnt and wont lead anyone to the finals but it seems were stuck with him. Wonder how much $$ spurs throw at him to stay?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    casuals
    Whats the point of making the playoffs if we lose

People forget this is a business and you don’t want to continually miss the playoffs. That hurts your bottom line. Spurs make a boatload (pre-pandemic) from each home playoff game. It all belongs to the organization too.

People complained about IGs contract or Whites but we got lucky. If we were a ty organization like the Wolves or the Kings we would have to max these guys in order to stay. But we have a strong culture and veteran leadership (which Demar is a big part of) and that’s why we didn’t pay White a Wiggins or a Barnes contract.

Say what you want about Demar (oh we barely make the playoffs with him) but the younger guys respect and listen to him. And he hasn’t whined about being here once. if we replaced LMA and his 24 million with a decent big man we would probably have home court right now btw. But let’s all on the leader of our team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    casuals

People forget this is a business and you don’t want to continually miss the playoffs. That hurts your bottom line. Spurs make a boatload (pre-pandemic) from each home playoff game. It all belongs to the organization too.

People complained about IGs contract or Whites but we got lucky. If we were a ty organization like the Wolves or the Kings we would have to max these guys in order to stay. But we have a strong culture and veteran leadership (which Demar is a big part of) and that’s why we didn’t pay White a Wiggins or a Barnes contract.

Say what you want about Demar (oh we barely make the playoffs with him) but the younger guys respect and listen to him. And he hasn’t whined about being here once. if we replaced LMA and his 24 million with a decent big man we would probably have home court right now btw. But let’s all on the leader of our team.
    And whose to say we don't make the playoffs without DeRozan? I remember at the begining of the season when folks were saying we wouldn't do without DeRozan and Aldridge. We are currently 3-1 without them.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    casuals

This. So much this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have a higher opinion of DDR now overall, but not to the point that I think he is a savior. We know what we have with him, which is good but not great. I think we have to roll the dice on our young players and let them develop and see if any of them become great, because I don’t see any other realistic scenario, other than luck in the draft or some miracle through free agency.
    This is the most objective viewpoint for those of us on Team No-DeRozan to present to his many fans online.
    You don't have to sell-out to bring back the type of player he is. If he's asking for a significant contract that the Spurs wouldn't even consider (which judging by his current limbo status must be the case), the team's gotta shake his hand and move on.

IMO he's no better than a Westbrick or a John Wall. ...Does lots of good things but nothing great to justify giving him the contract he wants, and most likely will get in FA.

I don't buy him leaving as hurting the team's ability to attract talent. The Raptors benched him in a playoff series vs Cleveland his last year, and traded him like a year after his last extension. They still fared pretty well when they moved on.
    I'm not gonna be distraught if they re-sign him.... I would just root for one of Murray, White, Walker to improve enough to be the 1A player, with DeRozan as 1B for the next 3-4 years of him being here.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DDR thinks he should be a leader but he can’t and never has

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude, we will lose to the West's best with DeRozan too.

What's the point of keeping DeRozan around? To be marginally better right now and maybe win a couple more games? What do we gain with that other than to waste the opportunity of getting something in return instead of losing him for nothing?

I would much rather trade him for a first round pick and a chance at getting another Vassell, Keldon, White or DJ. If we don't trade him now, we have almost no choice but to resign him (if he doesn't bail on us), at probably a steeper price, just to remain in mediocrity for a couple more years. Everybody should realize we are never getting out of this mediocrity with DeRozan as the top dog. We might get to second round here or there, but the ceiling is pretty much set with this guy. I don't understand some Spurs fans obsession with remaining on purgatory.
    Finally someone with some ing basketball sense

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's been said many times, tanking brings a losing culture and can be hard to overcome, especially for a franchise that struggles bringing in FAs.
    The warriors weren't tanking when they were missing the playoffs...and the players they were building up definitely don't have a losing mentality... Derozan keeps us mediocre to bad the rest of his good years (if he doesn't bail)...

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs don't have a tanking mentality so that is not going to happen. We have too many good young players to tank for one thing and Pop will never go that route. And I don't see a new coach next year, perhaps Becky, want to start their career by purposefully wanting to lose games. I will say that when Pop was playing Forbes and Marco I know he thought he was trying to win, but that was way closer to tanking than our current team without LMA and DDR.

People think that by not having a lot of veterans, then you are tanking. Well, if you're veterans suck, and are worse than your younger players, and eat up too many minutes, then what does that do for you? I'm all for vets, but affordable ones that are happy to mentor and not get in the way of younger, more talented players. This is going way back, but like when they signed Caldwell Jones to mentor rookie David Robinson. A presence in the locker room, ideally a fiery one, that is the type of veteran I think this team needs. Patty is sort of like that but is in a contract year so he's playing for a contract first and be a team player second. I digress but, no the Spurs are not tanking.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And whose to say we don't make the playoffs without DeRozan? I remember at the begining of the season when folks were saying we wouldn't do without DeRozan and Aldridge. We are currently 3-1 without them.
    We can’t always play CHI, DET, and ORL. A man can dream but unfortunately they moved us out west in like 80? I’m not actually sure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We can’t always play CHI, DET, and ORL. A man can dream but unfortunately they moved us out west in like 80? I’m not actually sure.
    As if we are beating any team worth a with DeRozan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    people like to say we're a scoring big away from contention. But having deroz and a scoring big? That's even better. I get that maybe free agency brings a hope in the space left from Deroz but it's not likely. Expect more Carrols.

But resigning Dero and throwing a young player and two firsts for your dream big is a good idea. It's one thing to trade to old expiring players. If the spurs really want to buy the option is there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everyone acting like it's ing easy to lead a team to a championship.... If DeRozan can't do it then who can?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Losing more to get a lottery pick? Unless it’s a generational talent like Timmy or DRob, it’s not going to make Spurs a contender overnight. Ask Philly, Cavs, Knicks with top picks year after year. And do you think it’s guaranteed they would stay when the team is losing? And you can bet the Spurs would lose plenty without a star, ask Sacramento. You think last year was ugly. I don’t think a small market San Antonio could afford it, much less the owner who would look for a greener pasteur. Be careful what you wish for. This team is only a 20/10 PF/C away from contending, but it would be difficult to attract that Star without a Demar.
    First you have to get that talent for example Embiid then you have to wait for him to get experience and enter his prime, Philly is going through this period, we don't even have that guy, we're already entering a losing period because 7th-8th seed is losing and we are waaay behind Philly in terms of contenting. Its a process and we haven't even started that process.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    First you have to get that talent for example Embiid then you have to wait for him to get experience and enter his prime, Philly is going through this period, we don't even have that guy, we're already entering a losing period because 7th-8th seed is losing and we are waaay behind Philly in terms of contenting. Its a process and we haven't even started that process.
    i get what you're saying but philly is a disaster

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs are waaay behind Philly? They can’t even advance to the Finals, and how long have Philly be rebuilding? Spurs just missed 1 playoff after missing a franchise player, and already replaced with young athletic core, 4 expiring contracts which could afford us a 20/10 PF/C either through FA or trade. We don’t need to lose a lot of games bruh. You don’t want to be like the Kings fan

near awake, semi-coherent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's been said many times, tanking brings a losing culture and can be hard to overcome, especially for a franchise that struggles bringing in FAs.
    When Pop became coach he tanked a year and even made D. Rob ride the bench with a sore back just to get some swimmer from the virgin islands in the draft. The draft pick was like only "technically" american waited until after his senior year to leave college and didn't have much of a three ball.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs are waaay behind Philly? They can’t even advance to the Finals, and how long have Philly be rebuilding? Spurs just missed 1 playoff after missing a franchise player, and already replaced with young athletic core, 4 expiring contracts which could afford us a 20/10 PF/C either through FA or trade. We don’t need to lose a lot of games bruh. You don’t want to be like the Kings fan
    Stop bringing the worst franchise run in sports to enhance your argument, its not working, we're talking about competent franchises which the Spurs are. Spurs are going nowhere with this core without a true A, you need that guy to win especially in the NBA. What is a true A, its someone who produces consistently. Don't expect Pistons 2004 to happen again any time soon and Philly is a contenter, they have a great shot at the ECF we have no shot, zero, nada, unless we are delusional into thinking we are. Watch how the next few years unfold if we keep going like this.

half man half amazing
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stop bringing the worst franchise run in sports to enhance your argument, its not working, we're talking about competent franchises which the Spurs are. Spurs are going nowhere with this core without a true A, you need that guy to win especially in the NBA. What is a true A, its someone who produces consistently. Don't expect Pistons 2004 to happen again any time soon and Philly is a contenter, they have a great shot at the ECF we have no shot, zero, nada, unless we are delusional into thinking we are. Watch how the next few years unfold if we keep going like this.
    It’s a lost cause, man. These people are completely delusional. They’ve learned nothing over the past 3 seasons.

They’re gassed up right now because the Spurs are currently in 7th place due to an extremely easy schedule.

Thread Information