Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Least? Are you sure you don't mean most? The Lakers or Knicks would move before the Pelicans?

Or do the Pelicans have some sort of extremely restrictive contract that won't let them leave in the next decade unless the new owners pledge their first-born children or some such?
    I thin RJV probably meant "most".

I believe this is the relevant article from the Athletic: "While the Pelicans benefit from being able to share some resources with the NFL’s Saints (Benson owns both teams), this is not a market that does gangbusters financially. With the team only committed to its lease in The Big Easy through 2024, sources consistently mention New Orleans as the most likely team to seek relocation in the coming decade. To be clear, Benson is deeply connected to New Orleans and not currently seeking to sell, but losing money while finishing in the lottery has not been an enjoyable side venture to the main business of running the Saints."

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hopefully the Pelicans, not the Spurs, get shipped to Vegas.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I thin RJV probably meant "most".

I believe this is the relevant article from the Athletic: "While the Pelicans benefit from being able to share some resources with the NFL’s Saints (Benson owns both teams), this is not a market that does gangbusters financially. With the team only committed to its lease in The Big Easy through 2024, sources consistently mention New Orleans as the most likely team to seek relocation in the coming decade. To be clear, Benson is deeply connected to New Orleans and not currently seeking to sell, but losing money while finishing in the lottery has not been an enjoyable side venture to the main business of running the Saints."
    Thanks, this makes much more sense. imo Seattle is the city most likely to get a relocated team, but I don't remember what their arena situation is.

near awake, semi-coherent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree Zion will have a good career but it will be short due to his hips so his best bet is to get as much money as possible as soon as he can get it. But maybe he is one of the few people who doesn’t place a high value on money and just wants to be in a city he likes and have fun.
    The in a city he likes and have fun honestly seem to go a long way to describe Kahwi. Unc and fam are the ones on the money. Leonard is cool playing ball for NBA money any place but between organization and fam he picks fam Everytime even when it puts him in an unpopular spot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The in a city he likes and have fun honestly seem to go a long way to describe Kahwi. Unc and fam are the ones on the money. Leonard is cool playing ball for NBA money any place but between organization and fam he picks fam Everytime even when it puts him in an unpopular spot.
    No. Not even close. Leonard is NOT cool playing ball any place for NBA money, or he would have stayed in Toronto. He always wanted LA, to the point that he left money on the table ($39M) to go there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the question is: will zion be the first player to turn down the rookie max extension?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would be sad for the Pels if Zion bolts from NO as well.

I'm pulling for the Bucks to somehow win it all. Really anyone but New Jersey or the Clippers.

But yeah, small market teams are toast in this new prima donna era of superstars getting whatever they want.
    this

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the question is: will zion be the first player to turn down the rookie max extension?
    Since the advent of the first round rookie scale in the 90s, I can think of two, and there were surely others: Michael Olowokandi and Rasho Nesterovich. Not only did they turn down their extensions, they both signed their year 5 QO and walked out the door.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since the advent of the first round rookie scale in the 90s, I can think of two, and there were surely others: Michael Olowokandi and Rasho Nesterovich. Not only did they turn down their extensions, they both signed their year 5 QO and walked out the door.
    do you happen to know the amount of those extensions? it'd be interesting to see how much more zion would be walking away from. there has to be a reason that it's been almost 20 years since a rookie has turned down the extension.

near awake, semi-coherent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Family wanted LA... Doesn't seem like Kahwi cared.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kind of interesting if Zion has similar family dynamics to Leonard. He's certainly more marketable than Kawhi, but he's also very injury prone and I'm not clear on whether he'll have Kawhi's work ethic. His career could prove to be a disappointment if he's not careful. But, maybe he'll follow the Anthony Davis route and coattail his way to a le. Sounds like that's the plan.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seattle will get an expansion team. I believe they have some of the money lined up for an arena already.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seattle will get an expansion team. I believe they have some of the money lined up for an arena already.
    What does Seattle have to do with Uncle Dennis?

It is what it is. Mark in Austin's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A hard cap won’t necessarily solve it. Removing the limit on MAX salary, even in the current structure, might. These divas are all cool with playing together as long as they’re all getting as much as they can. What if one of them wants like $65M? You think the others are going to take the scraps to go join him? Let their own greed spread the talent around.
    Agreed. 10 years ago I would have argued against a hard cap but now it is the only check on the player empowerment era that makes any sense...

Believe.
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    No it wasn't like this
    Wilt - forced his way to L.A.
    Kareem - forced trade to L.A. (N.Y. was 2nd choice)
    Elway - forced his way to Denver
    Eli Manning - forced his way to NYC
    Gretzky - forced trade to L.A.
    Schilling - forced his way to Red Sox
    Clemens - forced his way to the Yankees

Happens all the time. The difference is it didn't used to play out in the media.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What does Seattle have to do with Uncle Dennis?
    Nothing, I was responding to another post but neglected to quote it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wilt - forced his way to L.A.
    Kareem - forced trade to L.A. (N.Y. was 2nd choice)
    Elway - forced his way to Denver
    Eli Manning - forced his way to NYC
    Gretzky - forced trade to L.A.
    Schilling - forced his way to Red Sox
    Clemens - forced his way to the Yankees

Happens all the time. The difference is it didn't used to play out in the media.

Yeah that's all true, but super team forming wasn't hardly a thing like it is now. The earliest super team I remember was Drexler and Barkley going to Houston. Nowadays that's like a norm. No way it wouldn't be a Brooklyn/Clippers Finals if Kawhi wasn't vagina hurt again, and Kyrie and Harden weren't injured.

Thread Information