Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Article from about 2 weeks ago.

https://ripcityproject.com/2021/07/1...ach-collins-9/

"Team’s draft or sign guys who have had injury issues in the past, so it’s worth a small multi-year deal for a team to bring him back. There are very few guys who can shoot threes, blocks shots, and defend out to the perimeter. Collins has a recovery date of around December."

Looks like we may see him this year.
    You are about to be attacked by some of these fine people��������. Keep bringing the truth!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Zach can resume potentially playing in December then this was a great signing! I’m skeptical but minus the injuries he would have been a hot commodity this free agency

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If … and that’s a big if … this works, the Spurs will have the 5 covered for a very reasonable amount of money between Collins and Poeltl. And it looks like Collins can slide down to the 4 too as he played with Nurkic and Whiteside:

https://www.basketball-reference.com...1/lineups/2020

And that’s all with $30 million left to spend.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Any word on second and third years of Zach Collins' contract. Not guaranteed, I imagine. Er, I hope.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for enlightening us���� Hopefully at some point before 2k post I get something right or for you riders that don’t speak up to clowns like this “ get something Wright “! Time has a way of telling......
    You should ask them to change your name to Autism Spur, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If … and that’s a big if … this works, the Spurs will have the 5 covered for a very reasonable amount of money between Collins and Poeltl. And it looks like Collins can slide down to the 4 too as he played with Nurkic and Whiteside:

https://www.basketball-reference.com...1/lineups/2020

And that’s all with $30 million left to spend.
    What I’ve said in the past.

Spurs dont want to spend much on the center rotation. They achieve that with Collins.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The theme of the offseason has been shooting. Even the summer league team features NBA hopefuls whose only real ticket to the league is shooting. Zach Collins is a stretch five who is also a competent pick and roll defender. If healthy, that is worth 7M. If the Spurs didn't fully guarantee his deal, it's an understandable signing. They could have waited, you'd think, until after they sort their max, but maybe another team gave him an offer.

You can see the front office wants to return to "five live", as LeBron called it in 2014. That is, playing a lot of minutes with five guys who are all threats from perimeter.

This will require all our youngs to progress as shooters. It also means being very selective with Poeltl. So it's risky, but a bet on internal development.

If we're still secretly in play for Ben Simmons, then collecting shooters is also necessary. Simmons thrives in space and is elite at finding open shooters.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Article from about 2 weeks ago.

https://ripcityproject.com/2021/07/1...ach-collins-9/

"Team’s draft or sign guys who have had injury issues in the past, so it’s worth a small multi-year deal for a team to bring him back. There are very few guys who can shoot threes, blocks shots, and defend out to the perimeter. Collins has a recovery date of around December."

Looks like we may see him this year.
    Just hope we don't rush him back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    pretty expensive way to give Derrick White a rehab buddy tbh

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good signing, gimme more tank commanders, one year tanking isn't enough tbh. We have to pay someone anyway, whatever.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good signing, gimme more tank commanders, one year tanking isn't enough tbh. We have to pay someone anyway, whatever.
    Truly. Luka with the broken hand. Zach with the broken foot. Wonder who else with broken bones is available.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So it looks like the only reason for signing Dieng late in the year was to have an extra big just in case the Spurs made the playoffs... interesting. If they didn't have a playoff run in mind, it seems like it would've made sense to just give those minutes to Eubanks for experience. I guess a couple months of a minimum contract isn't any kind of a risk financially, but I'd love to hear the conversation the FO had when the topic first came up.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I guess Brian didn't get the memo. You're supposed to try and get assets for taking on bad contracts...

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Zach also missed 63 games with a shoulder injury. So there’s that. I expect Eubanks to get lots of minutes. Lots.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    people pretending this is a "tank" move need to realize that its a 3 year deal, not 1 year

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    definetely one of the worst signing this ofseason in the whole league

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So it looks like the only reason for signing Dieng late in the year was to have an extra big just in case the Spurs made the playoffs... interesting. If they didn't have a playoff run in mind, it seems like it would've made sense to just give those minutes to Eubanks for experience. I guess a couple months of a minimum contract isn't any kind of a risk financially, but I'd love to hear the conversation the FO had when the topic first came up.
    I seem to recall Eubanks got more playing time than Dieng much to the chagrin of a number of ST posters.
    Last edited by Ocotillo; 08-03-2021 at 11:23 AM. Reason: typo

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I seem to recall Eubanks got more playing time than Dieng much to the chagrin of a number of ST posters.
    Yeah, I didn't get it at the time either-- but I guess they likely had no intention of re-signing him anyway, so they weren't worried about his possible negative perception of allotted minutes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    people pretending this is a "tank" move need to realize that its a 3 year deal, not 1 year
    We might need to "tank" for more than one season to be honest...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Glad the Spurs got another high character guy. Hugh basketball IQ.

It's a process... mexicanjunior's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    definetely one of the worst signing this ofseason in the whole league
    Pairs well with the worst draft pick last week...

#POPOUT
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Glad the Spurs got another high character guy. Hugh basketball IQ.
    u mean medical IQ. After all those injuries he might be a doctor

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone have access to this article: https://theathletic.com/2709729/2021...a-great-story/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone have access to this article: https://theathletic.com/2709729/2021...a-great-story/

Hopefully that means the second and third seasons are non-guaranteed. Would make me feel better about this signing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This has got to be one of the more pathetic threats ever lodged on this forum. And that’s saying something given Koriwhat’s decade long tenure. Congrats on your achievement.
    Ain't you here since '08? You missed the "I'll get you banned" meme? Shoulda used the blue font after all, smh...

Thread Information