Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hate Forbes, but…aren’t we trying to tank?

Speaking of which, Wall is now pressing Houston to activate him, probably to force movement on a trade. He’s not my favorite, but has enough talent to mess them up by winning some games.
    Yeah the league really needs to step in I don't know how they letting Houston and OK last year get away with sitting very good players all year?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Evans
    Bagley
    Cauley-Stein
    Stauskas
    McLemore

None of these guys would have benefited from some gleague time? A string of top 10 picks busting like a string of firecrackers…
    No to most of them. Cauley Stein played more games in college than George Hill. At a real school in a real conference not the Mickey Mouse summit league

What about Papagiannis?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was crazy that Forbes got so many minutes that game while shooting bad.

this is coming from a person that doesn’t mind Joshua Primo playing in the g league but Forbes shouldn’t have gotten the minutes he did playing as bad as he did last game.
    Only Pop knows the answer.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do we honestly want Forbes as a mentor for Primo?
    It can't be healthy Pop telling this kid to sit, listen, and watch what Forbes does to get NBA minutes...
    Championship pedigree

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No to most of them. Cauley Stein played more games in college than George Hill. At a real school in a real conference not the Mickey Mouse summit league

What about Papagiannis?
    Late pick. Also, international and experienced. Comps for Primo would be American, and high picks.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Late pick. Also, international and experienced. Comps for Primo would be American, and high picks.
    Papagiannis was the 13th pick, was 18 and turned 19 a week or so after the draft, and had only played like 12 minutes a game in the domestic Greek league and 30 total minutes in Euroleague.

And back to Evans, did you watch the g-league back in 09-10? The quality was light years under even today's g-league. The difference in size and athleticism was such a gulf that it's absurd to think Evans could have gotten anything out of it.

He would have averaged 40-10-10 without much trouble. The ease at which he would have been able to produce would probably have made any bad habits even worse while doing nothing to prepare him for NBA length, size, strength and athleticism.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We have already talked about it but playing primo as the main ballhandler is a little bit strange imo.

Offcourse he will improve his BH Skills and could be more effective in the future but he is not a PG and will not play PG in the league. I hope he will play more like a SG.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We have already talked about it but playing primo as the main ballhandler is a little bit strange imo.

Offcourse he will improve his BH Skills and could be more effective in the future but he is not a PG and will not play PG in the league. I hope he will play more like a SG.
    We don’t know what he is or can be but guess who has an idea?????

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yeah, he’s not a PG but it’s good for him to have those reps.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We don’t know what he is or can be but guess who has an idea?????
    This. He’s ing 18.

Everyone thought Devin was a catch and shoot 3 and D, but he turned out to be a 3 level scorer who can create for himself in less than a full season’s worth of games. Let the Spurs unlock all of the cheat codes before you decide, say 2 or 3 seasons?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This isn't Primo's only opportunity to become whatever he's going to be. He doesn't have to play a ton of PG minutes now to eventually become a play-maker. Kawhi didn't become a play-maker until after he was done with the Spurs. Insofar as getting reps now can affect his game, him focusing on a role he probably won't get any time soon in lieu of learning how to be an off-ball NBA player is likely to hinder his effectiveness with the big club. They don't NEED a wing who constantly wants to have the ball in his hands in order to take inefficient shots. Like, OMG they definitely do not need that. Vassell is a three-level scorer and all, but thankfully he didn't spend his entire rookie season playing PG and learning to ISO on d-leaguers. Nothing about having a smaller role now prevents him from growing into a bigger one in the future.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This isn't Primo's only opportunity to become whatever he's going to be. He doesn't have to play a ton of PG minutes now to eventually become a play-maker. Kawhi didn't become a play-maker until after he was done with the Spurs. Insofar as getting reps now can affect his game, him focusing on a role he probably won't get any time soon in lieu of learning how to be an off-ball NBA player is likely to hinder his effectiveness with the big club. They don't NEED a wing who constantly wants to have the ball in his hands in order to take inefficient shots. Like, OMG they definitely do not need that. Vassell is a three-level scorer and all, but thankfully he didn't spend his entire rookie season playing PG and learning to ISO on d-leaguers. Nothing about having a smaller role now prevents him from growing into a bigger one in the future.
    Vassell had two years of D1 ball, and was about two years older when he stepped onto an NBA court. There also wasn’t much of a gleague last year. Even our 2ways spent the whole season in SA, due to rule changes, in order to provide covid backstopping.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still think a middle ground is needed. Some minutes now in SA to acclimate to the pace while he figures out a role, and then back to the G to work on deficiencies.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he needs PT in both leagues. G-league to learn to dominate a game and NBA to get used to going up against the big boys.
    How did Giannis ever learn to dominate without playing in the g league? Matter of fact, I can't think of one star player that has played in the g league...imo that's where role players go to learn to be role players

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vassell had two years of D1 ball, and was about two years older when he stepped onto an NBA court. There also wasn’t much of a gleague last year. Even our 2ways spent the whole season in SA, due to rule changes, in order to provide covid backstopping.
    I know, and as a result, Devin didn't have the year of star treatment or high-minute reps that are supposed to be so important for his development. But he arguably made the biggest year-two improvement that we've seen. That suggests it's not necessary to go to the d-league to get that improvement, so it shouldn't be used as a justification to send him down.

Also, plenty of NBA players came directly from high school. There's definitely a precedent for 18-year-olds being able to make the transition. Josh doesn't have to be a good player right away to justify a rotation spot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You are definitely en led to your opinion . I’ll stick with the guy who got us to 5 chips JS .
    Who? Tim Duncan? Even he couldn't take Pops coaching decisions and retired both as a player and as a coach

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This. He’s ing 18.

Everyone thought Devin was a catch and shoot 3 and D, but he turned out to be a 3 level scorer who can create for himself in less than a full season’s worth of games. Let the Spurs unlock all of the cheat codes before you decide, say 2 or 3 seasons?
    Guess how we found that out? By him playing his position in actual nba games

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One word...giannis

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    18 points on 21 FGA.
    i guess he's been given the green light on taking threes cause he sure didn't seem to be shy about it. it was a bad shooting night for both him and wieskamp (a combined 3 of 17).

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bottom line: can he replace Forbes right now? Yes. He played a similar reduced role at Alabama where he shot open 3s. That’s actually an advantage for him: he is ok adapting and won’t pout for touches. I waited a month for dust to settle, I’m ready for Primo minutes. If nothing else, the team needs to sell ing tickets and there’s only so many gimmick uniforms they can bust out to try and get fans excited.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How did Giannis ever learn to dominate without playing in the g league? Matter of fact, I can't think of one star player that has played in the g league...imo that's where role players go to learn to be role players
    100% this

People saying he's only 18. Then play him 12 minutes a game. We have the room for him. Give Primo ALL of Forbes minutes. All of them. Why is Forbes even playing? Every star player plays in the ing NBA not the G-League. Giannis was 18. KD and Westbrook and Harden were 19. Booker was 19. Mitc was 19. When you are a bad team, you can find minutes for him to play and learn the ing system.

Also how many players have we actually developed using this system? Best I ccan think of iss White and tbh that's not exactly what we are hoping Primo becomes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i guess he's been given the green light on taking threes cause he sure didn't seem to be shy about it. it was a bad shooting night for both him and wieskamp (a combined 3 of 17).
    Progress. In the previous game, he allowed them to limit his shots, essentially take him out of the offense. This is step 2, not letting them take you out of the offense. He’ll learn to shoot better when defended this way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know, and as a result, Devin didn't have the year of star treatment or high-minute reps that are supposed to be so important for his development. But he arguably made the biggest year-two improvement that we've seen. That suggests it's not necessary to go to the d-league to get that improvement, so it shouldn't be used as a justification to send him down.

Also, plenty of NBA players came directly from high school. There's definitely a precedent for 18-year-olds being able to make the transition. Josh doesn't have to be a good player right away to justify a rotation spot.
    They’re not the same player in the same situation. Age and experience were not alike. Keep ignoring that if you want.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They’re not the same player in the same situation. Age and experience were not alike. Keep ignoring that if you want.
    I'm "ignoring" it, because you don't mean it. You've listed guys like WCS as "could've used d-league time", when that guy played five years of NCAA. Stauskas played two years of Big 10 ball. No problem pretending like that still meant the d-league was necessary. The only difference in their situations is that you want one of them to support your point today and wanted another to support your point a couple of days ago. My point has always been that it's flimsy logic to assume that guys need big-minute roles against lesser compe ion to become NBA players. That holds for all of the players we've talked about in this thread. Some guys need to be locked away, and some team situations require it even if the players don't need it. But the Spurs use the same approach with everyone when they can get away with it, and that doesn't make sense.

It's a questionable way to develop players to eschew learning to be a role-player in order to get star reps. It doesn't prepare them to play in a league where they probably won't be a star and in an offense where they need to do more things than just call their own numbers. No, and energy big like WCS and a shooter like NS didn't need d-league time, and a shooter like Primo doesn't NEED it either. That doesn't mean he's going to be a great NBA player immediately. But he's not a great NBA player right now and wouldn't be even if he were dominating the d-league. That's just not how development works. He'll improve most during this summer, regardless of what he does now. The difference is that he'll be able to fit on the team much more easily if he spent this season playing off NBA players rather than wrecking guys he's clearly more talented than. May as well send him to the YMCA for a year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Primo can't be any worse than forbes tbh I don't see the benefit for not playing him on the main team.

Thread Information