Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They’re not the same player in the same situation. Age and experience were not alike. Keep ignoring that if you want.
    The situation Primo finds himself in is that he is playing for a bottom 5 organization in the league. And also being the main guy on a team for a year at the GL only works if that is what you want him to be for the main team. But lets say that he does spend the whole year off the main team, and then the next year he plays like what once every 3 games? Then 3 years in he gets his 15 minutes a game maybe. How is this a good development plan at all? It has never worked.

Play the kid ALL of bryn's minutes. It's like 12 a game so it's enough where he gest experience and gets to learn how to be a pro. Let him learn from the leaders on the team and Pop directly, Give him realistic individual goals for him to work on. Shoot the 3 when open and play the best on defense that you can. If Primo is ever going to be a star player, then playing him his rookie year doesn't hurt that path at all. In fact I can't think of a single star player whose rookie year prevented them from being stars.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thank God we have g League , I don't know how the NBA ever managed to have good players before...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Progress. In the previous game, he allowed them to limit his shots, essentially take him out of the offense. This is step 2, not letting them take you out of the offense. He’ll learn to shoot better when defended this way.
    agreed. and this is where the g league helps regardless of the level of compe ion. it's a full game so your body is tested physically and you are getting tons of reps working on skills in real time. hopefully, he'll make enough progress on these details this season so that he'll get some additional minutes in NBA games.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The G league is better than not playing at all and just sitting on the bench in street clothes. However, his Alabama role would be quite helpful right now. We need reliable three point shooter from players who aren’t abysmal on defense. If Devin took more of Walker’s minutes and Primo took Forbes’ minutes I think that would help their development and the team. We’d still be a bad team in the lottery but at least investing in the right players for the future.

Edit: Forgot about Tre Jones who also needs minutes. Basically the team needs to get out of their comfort zone and consider trading Thad and Walker to free up the roster. And they probably can’t make that decision regarding Walker if they don’t see Primo in SA to get a better sense of his status.
    Last edited by The Truth #6; 11-29-2021 at 02:32 PM.

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Best NBA players who played D/G League by Basketball-Reference WS.

78.4 Rudy Gobert
    48.0 Danny Green, Khris Middleton
    47.6 Hassan Whiteside
    47.0 Antonio Daniels
    39.7 Chris Anderson
    32.9 Rafer Alston
    29.9 Shaun Livington
    28.8 Chuck Hayes
    26.1 Pascal Siakam

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another knock on the G league approach, at least for this year—they barely play. I counted 6 games in the last month. I suppose they are practicing, but only 6 games weakens the “getting reps” argument for playing in Austin.

6 weeks ago I was on board with the strictly G league approach, but I don’t see much benefit if they barely play.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

78.4 Rudy Gobert
    47.6 Hassan Whiteside
    47.0 Antonio Daniels
    39.7 Chris Anderson
    32.9 Rafer Alston
    29.9 Shaun Livington
    28.8 Chuck Hayes
    26.1 Pascal Siakam
    well there goes that argument

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

78.4 Rudy Gobert
    47.6 Hassan Whiteside
    47.0 Antonio Daniels
    39.7 Chris Anderson
    32.9 Rafer Alston
    29.9 Shaun Livington
    28.8 Chuck Hayes
    26.1 Pascal Siakam
    As always, Drom, thanks for adding context.

I'm actually surprised there aren't more or better players on that list. Certainly, none of those guys have anything to be ashamed about. But there does seem to be a strong trend that the d-league is best used to help train role-players. I don't know for sure, but the fact that so few of those guys were ball-dominant players could mean the d-league helped them more than it would guys like Primo. Danny Green was an off-ball player in college, he was an off-ball playing in the d-league and he remained so in the NBA. He could focus on honing his NBA skills and not on improving things he was never able to do at an NBA level anyway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I tell you this, plenty of superstars have played their fist season in the G-League: Michael Jordan, LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, Jokic, Scottie Pippen, Durant, Ginobili, Parker, Kareem, Steph Curry. It will only help Primo to play there

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Again i have no problem with primo playing in the G early on. Especially if pop has no plan to give him any real minutes. Let him get his feet wet. Now if pop cant find a role for a supposed top 5 pick next draft then that's inexcusable. Especially for a team supposedly tanking ,and looking to develop youth

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

78.4 Rudy Gobert
    47.6 Hassan Whiteside
    47.0 Antonio Daniels
    39.7 Chris Anderson
    32.9 Rafer Alston
    29.9 Shaun Livington
    28.8 Chuck Hayes
    26.1 Pascal Siakam
    Klay Thompson

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Every few pages it is worth reminding everyone the kid is 18!!!

I see both sides of the argument and i’ve been skeptical of PATFO for the last few years on many issues but I don’t see the big deal with him mostly getting G League minutes when we have decisions to make on Walker/White/Trey etc. If we were to move White and Walker midseason i’d hope Primo gets more burn with the big club.

The tough pill to swallow is Forbes. He looked great in preseason, like he could really contribute 10-15 minutes a game but that hasn’t been the case. Regardless Primo will get his shot in the near future, especially if he shines in the G League which remains to be seen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This. He’s ing 18.

Everyone thought Devin was a catch and shoot 3 and D, but he turned out to be a 3 level scorer who can create for himself in less than a full season’s worth of games. Let the Spurs unlock all of the cheat codes before you decide, say 2 or 3 seasons?
    probably all that g-league time from last year where they gave him a much bigger role than he'd have in the big leagues

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    probably all that g-league time from last year where they gave him a much bigger role than he'd have in the big leagues
    LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I see both sides of the argument and i’ve been skeptical of PATFO for the last few years on many issues but I don’t see the big deal with him mostly getting G League minutes when we have decisions to make on Walker/White/Trey etc. If we were to move White and Walker midseason i’d hope Primo gets more burn with the big club.

The tough pill to swallow is Forbes. He looked great in preseason, like he could really contribute 10-15 minutes a game but that hasn’t been the case. Regardless Primo will get his shot in the near future, especially if he shines in the G League which remains to be seen.
    Giannis never played in the g league... He was drafted later than Primo... Pop would have shoved Giannis into the g league and ruined his career...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    so we are expecting Primo to be the next Giannis?

Who knows if it's better for him to be thrown into the fire or to get his feet wet in the G League first. It's really a matter of trusting Pop or not. Personally, I think he's done a great job developing young players going all the way back to the 90s. If he thinks Primo could use some time in the G League then I'll trust it and see how he progresses.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Giannis never played in the g league... He was drafted later than Primo... Pop would have shoved Giannis into the g league and ruined his career...

Giannis is 18 and was drafted later than Primo last year.... What?!

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Holy , this dude is a dumbass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Three things. First, we have zero decision with Lonnie anymore. The dude is gone and should be out of the rotation. He's shooting 28% on threes. He plays ty defense and really brings nothing to the court. Ask yourself, what does Lonnie do good? Like what is his actual good skill he uses in a game?

Second, 18 doesn't really mean anything nowadays. there are plenty of 18 year olds that have played in the league. Also there isn't going to be much of a difference between his 18 year old self and his 19 year old self if he gets zero burn in the big leagues. He will still have the same body and all you're doing is denying him experience.

And lastly, Bryn Forbes is in no way shape or form part of our future for the franchise. I'm advocating Primo takes Lonnie's minutes atm but even if you're not on that train with me, he should be getting minutes over Forbes. What reason is Forbes even playing over Primo. there is zero good reason for it. Forbes can be on the team as the 15th man but all the "concerns" perople haave about Primo are still a fact with Forbes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imagine playing 30 minutes a game in the G league guarding Nigel Thornberry and then being asked to guard Bradley Beal out of no where. It's going to take more than a couple possessions to get into gear. That's why I've been advocating for Josh to just get some consistent rotation minutes with the main squad even if its 12 MPG. Playing with and against NBA players is more beneficial imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Imagine playing 30 minutes a game in the G league guarding Nigel Thornberry and then being asked to guard Bradley Beal out of no where. It's going to take more than a couple possessions to get into gear. That's why I've been advocating for Josh to just get some consistent rotation minutes with the main squad even if its 12 MPG. Playing with and against NBA players is more beneficial imo.
    It’s not that he couldn’t guard him. That can be fixed with instruction and reps. He got physically overwhelmed. Beal knocked him on his ass with a simple bump. Throwing him out there over and over for that would only lead to discouragement. He’s physically immature.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s not that he couldn’t guard him. That can be fixed with instruction and reps. He got physically overwhelmed. Beal knocked him on his ass with a simple bump. Throwing him out there over and over for that would only lead to discouragement. He’s physically immature.
    I never said he couldn’t guard him just saying the level of G league play to NBA play is astronomical and it would take some minutes to get in the right gear.

Beal clearly steps on his foot. I don’t know why you’re trying to paint this picture that he is all of a sudden not physically ready and he was getting physically abused. He’s no where near a string bean he’s actually much bigger than I initially thought. You act like he’s Chet Holmgren haha. Your perception of him is fogged by the number 18.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I never said he couldn’t guard him just saying the level of G league play to NBA play is astronomical and it would take some minutes to get in the right gear.

Beal clearly steps on his foot. I don’t know why you’re trying to paint this picture that he is all of a sudden not physically ready and he was getting physically abused. He’s no where near a string bean he’s actually much bigger than I initially thought. You act like he’s Chet Holmgren haha. Your perception of him is fogged by the number 18.
    That wasn’t the play. Must have been in the second half, because it was on the other end of the court.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

That wasn’t the play. Must have been in the second half, because it was on the other end of the court.
    exstatic getting regulated again.

Now conducting aerobics classes with another back pedal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    exstatic getting regulated again.

Now conducting aerobics classes with another back pedal.
    No one got regulated. We were just talking about different plays. The one I was thinking of happened pretty much in front of the Spurs bench. Can’t help it if Primo got burned so many times it caused confusion.

Thread Information