Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Have to give him credit against our hated enemy the “FLAKERS” he came in and scored 34 points to add yet another loss to the Lakers - You know they having a ty Christmas.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Patty killin’ it for Brooklyn. Huge pickup for them. Basically won ‘em the game down the stretch as Harden went ice-cold in the 4th. Didn’t hurt that Westbrick kept leaving him open while looking for the offensive rebound to pad his stats. Props to Patty Cakes. Well-deserved tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Props to Patty indeed, but the Lakers gameplan of having Wesbrook of all people guarding someone who moves constantly without the ball was hilariously bad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    bala

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Patty is 33 years old and his timeline is now. That's why he moved to a true contender.

If the Spurs were in "win now" mode and had a realistic shot at a deep playoff run, he would have stayed IMO.

I don't think money is an issue for him now as he has been very well compensated for a long time.

He wants to play meaningful playoff games this year.

I always liked how he played and carried himself in San Antonio. #8 has been one of my favorite players to come through here.

Wouldn't surprise me if he kept SA as a home base after the playing days are over too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dont miss him at all but props to him

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good on ya, Patty!

Meanwhile, Westbrick goes 4/20, finished with a -23, and got stuffed by the rim on a dunk on a clutch possession. But he got his triple-double

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good for him but glad he moved on so the younger guys can sink or swim.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm happy for him. I'm rooting for him and Lamarcus to win a ring with the Nets. Mills is now in an ideal situation where he can go back to having the role he had with the Spurs from '13-'17. After '17 I felt with Kawhi going AWOL he was not a good situation because the Spurs had to over play him and didn't have a legit starting PG, so he was thrusted in a difficult situation. With the Nets, Harden is really the PG and Mills is allowed to play his normal role. Plus, he plays great off of the center of gravity that both Durant and Harden generate on the offensive end.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    loved watching him giving the lakers the business …

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man were we holding Olympic Patty down?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good on ya, Patty!

Meanwhile, Westbrick goes 4/20, finished with a -23, and got stuffed by the rim on a dunk on a clutch possession. But he got his triple-double
    My fear is DJM is a kinda Westbrick ish. Numbers look good but does he really understand the game the way a point guard should? Still, Dj's not a tool like Westrbrook.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My fear is DJM is a kinda Westbrick ish. Numbers look good but does he really understand the game the way a point guard should? Still, Dj's not a tool like Westrbrook.
    I understand the Westbrook-lite comparisons. Obviously it's great that Murray is racking up trip-dubs this season, but his efficiency is not so great. His three-point shot seems to be coming around, but he also shouldn't fall in love with it.

That said, DJ can actually hang his hat on defense, which is something you definitely can't say for Russ. Murray has alsoshowed at times (such as the Lakers game) that he can impact the game in other ways than scoring.

DJ seems to still try to play within the flow of the game, whereas Westbrook seems to just be chasing stats...i.e. he'll go after an offensive rebound he has no chance of getting instead of getting back on defense, or will try to force assists when the play just isn't there.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I understand the Westbrook-lite comparisons. Obviously it's great that Murray is racking up trip-dubs this season, but his efficiency is not so great. His three-point shot seems to be coming around, but he also shouldn't fall in love with it.

That said, DJ can actually hang his hat on defense, which is something you definitely can't say for Russ. Murray has alsoshowed at times (such as the Lakers game) that he can impact the game in other ways than scoring.

DJ seems to still try to play within the flow of the game, whereas Westbrook seems to just be chasing stats...i.e. he'll go after an offensive rebound he has no chance of getting instead of getting back on defense, or will try to force assists when the play just isn't there.
    Well said. DJ is already a better defender than Westbrook ever was!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Patty is a shoot first pass second player that plays great second fiddle to Manu or Kawhi. He is a great second option. That's why his numbers were best with Manu or Kawhi. When he played with Tony and Patty it was never going to work and then him being the first option, he never had the space. And when Kawhi and Manu left, he had to be a distributor for the young guys. He couldn't take 20 shots a night here.
    When Patty played with Patty? And you even edited it?

You'd think he had a 66% chance of being the 1st option.

near awake, semi-coherent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Patty is a shoot first pass second player that plays great second fiddle to Manu or Kawhi. He is a great second option. That's why his numbers were best with Manu or Kawhi. When he played with Tony and Patty it was never going to work and then him being the first option, he never had the space. And when Kawhi and Manu left, he had to be a distributor for the young guys. He couldn't take 20 shots a night here.
    3rd option, maybe even 4th. I really feel like third though.Durant is their #1 whichever of the beard or the flat earther is on the floor with Durant and Patty and sometimes Harden and Irving are on the floor together without Patty. He's a floor spacer they have to have a guard chase, a strong defensive player stops him, but most teams put their strong defender on flatearther or beard.

near awake, semi-coherent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    3rd option, maybe even 4th. I really feel like third though.Durant is their #1 whichever of the beard or the flat earther is on the floor with Durant and Patty and sometimes Harden and Irving are on the floor together without Patty. He's a floor spacer they have to have a guard chase, a strong defensive player stops him, but most teams put their strong outside defender on flatearther or beard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem with Patty is always that he doesnt have a defense game. That doesnt work for Spurs when you have Forbes and Derozan.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He'd be the forbes role riding the bench so Youngs can develop. So not that they're not win now but wanted him in place he could contribute

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One of my favorite players.

happy that he is continuing to play great basketball and things will only get better for him when the Nets are back healthy

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Certainly one of my fears too, but that comparison is fading away for me. I've seen a lot more maturity out of him this year. He really played an "A" game against the Lakers even though his stats weren't great. He's becoming better at letting the game come to him, and not needing to fill up the stat sheet to make an impact. He still has a ways to go in that regard, but he's come a long way this season. And as Dex and others have said, he was a better defender than Russ the second he stepped on an NBA court.

On equal contracts, I'd take him over Westbrick any day of the week.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Certainly one of my fears too, but that comparison is fading away for me. I've seen a lot more maturity out of him this year. He really played an "A" game against the Lakers even though his stats weren't great. He's becoming better at letting the game come to him, and not needing to fill up the stat sheet to make an impact. He still has a ways to go in that regard, but he's come a long way this season. And as Dex and others have said, he was a better defender than Russ the second he stepped on an NBA court.

On equal contracts, I'd take him over Westbrick any day of the week.
    Well said, Ed. You and Dex make good points. Hope DJ is back soon.

Well Said

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean on one hand, being compared with Westbrook is a good thing. We're takling about a guy who put up crazy stats and was a pretty unstoppable force going to the rim. DJM will never have that kind of attacking ability that Russ had. What makes Russ bad isn't his triple doubles. its how he gets his triple doubles and how much he values that over what actually matters. Even then, if Westbrook was on a DJM style contract he'd still be an asset to a team.

The biggest downside to Westbrook is his contract and the second biggest is his ego. Those don't really apply to DJM.

Thread Information