My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jakob Poeltl's three-year deal with the San Antonio Spurs:

2020-21: $8,101,852
    2021-22: $8,750,000
    2022-23: $9,398,148

No options. All years fully guaranteed.
    Hmm... so if timvp 's chart was correct on salaries, the Spurs should have $962,614 left under the tax. That'd put them far enough under to sign a 15th man if that player is a rookie. That means Reynolds probably won't make the team out of camp, but someone else might. Makes the potential of those three open spots a bit more intriguing.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hmm... so if timvp 's chart was correct on salaries, the Spurs should have $962,614 left under the tax. That'd put them far enough under to sign a 15th man if that player is a rookie. That means Reynolds probably won't make the team out of camp, but someone else might. Makes the potential of those three open spots a bit more intriguing.
    I noticed this same thing earlier this morning when looking at the cap. Spurs can be opportunistic by sifting through the best camp cuts. I'm intrigued by Paul Reed and Isaiah Joe. One of those two may miss Philly's roster, even with two ways included. The Spurs have the advantage of scouting preseason film before making a determination.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can you elaborate on that please?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Also, the odds remain low, but there is still a little trade market activity (Batum, Houston, Knicks have open space). Spurs could help get a deal done by being the third team. So having an open roster spot for a few more weeks gives San Antonio more flexibility to help in a trade, if something good comes to them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can you elaborate on that please?
    IIRC the min salary for a player with one year of NBA experience is like $1.4 Million. That's more than the room the Spurs have under the tax. Reynolds has an accrued season from 2018-2019, so he can't get a deal small enough. A random rookie like Paul Reed could.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, the odds remain low, but there is still a little trade market activity (Batum, Houston, Knicks have open space). Spurs could help get a deal done by being the third team. So having an open roster spot for a few more weeks gives San Antonio more flexibility to help in a trade, if something good comes to them.
    That's true both in the sense of taking back salary and having room under the tax to sign free agents to fill the roster if the team does a many-for-1 trade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I noticed this same thing earlier this morning when looking at the cap. Spurs can be opportunistic by sifting through the best camp cuts. I'm intrigued by Paul Reed and Isaiah Joe. One of those two may miss Philly's roster, even with two ways included. The Spurs have the advantage of scouting preseason film before making a determination.
    The Spurs could also trade for one of them or any rookie-min player on the outs in exchange for cash or something. They couldn't do it if it were a guy on a three-year deal like Jones might be. But on a one- or two-year min deal? Could be worth it, now or later in the season.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's true both in the sense of taking back salary and having room under the tax to sign free agents to fill the roster if the team does a many-for-1 trade.
    True.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs could also trade for one of them or any rookie-min player on the outs in exchange for cash or something. They couldn't do it if it were a guy on a three-year deal like Jones might be. But on a one- or two-year min deal? Could be worth it, now or later in the season.

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Out of 103 Centers in 2019-2021, most fouls per 48 minutes.

1 Marques Bolden
    2 Eric Mika
    3 Tacko Fall

35 Mitc Robinson
    36 Drew Eubanks
    37 Mason Plumlee

58 Willie Cauley-Stein
    59 Jakob Poeltl
    60 Andre Drummond

92 Anthony Davis
    93 LaMarcus Aldridge
    94 Steve Adams

97 Nikola Vucevic
    98 Chimezie Metu
    99 Henry Ellenson

102 Kevin Love
    103 Tyler Zeller

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the stats, watch the games

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Out of 103 Centers in 2019-2021, most fouls per 48 minutes.

1 Marques Bolden
    2 Eric Mika
    3 Tacko Fall

35 Mitc Robinson
    36 Drew Eubanks
    37 Mason Plumlee

58 Willie Cauley-Stein
    59 Jakob Poeltl
    60 Andre Drummond

92 Anthony Davis
    93 LaMarcus Aldridge
    94 Steve Adams

97 Nikola Vucevic
    98 Chimezie Metu
    99 Henry Ellenson

102 Kevin Love
    103 Tyler Zeller
    Great stat find! Really interesting. Posters here will tell you Poeltl should be #1 on the list, though. He can certainly do better, but he's nowhere near being unplayable due to foul trouble.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the stats, watch the games
    The games where Poeltl acts as a defensive anchor for the team, perfect PnR partner for our most efficient guard in White, and also an occasionally good offensive presence when he's on? Yeah, sure isn't backing up those stats...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

it's more concerning that our best defensive C could only grab 6 boards in 28 out of 71 games. only reinforces that Jakob is soft and needs to do a better job rebounding the basketball. i know he is the backup and Pop screws with his minutes but dude is usually the tallest guy out there

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's more concerning that our best defensive C could only grab 6 boards in 28 out of 71 games. only reinforces that Jakob is soft and needs to do a better job rebounding the basketball. i know he is the backup and Pop screws with his minutes but dude is usually the tallest guy out there
    In those 28 games, he averaged 20 minutes. Per 36, that's 15 rebounds per game. So that's a poor comment to make.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Zeller is waived it’s a little more correct? Like 1.2m?

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting stat. I thought his issue was poor stamina and/or plays hard and gets tired easily. But if he averages close to 30 minutes for whatever reasons, then I will be impressed.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People all ways for get that Jakob allways gets in foul trouble, we saw it in the bubble. If he can limit those fouls and mental erros, he is a bargen at that price and if he can't but still plays like he does it still a sloid contract,

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trade LMA + Lyles to BOS
    Spurs get Batum + 1st
    Hornets get Hayward

Jakob then gets the PT to justify signing

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People all ways for get that Jakob allways gets in foul trouble, we saw it in the bubble. If he can limit those fouls and mental erros, he is a bargen at that price and if he can't but still plays like he does it still a sloid contract,
    Actually, I think it's the opposite - posters here who are Poeltl-averse, mostly have fresh in their minds the foul trouble Jakob had during the bubble, where calls were noticeably soft, but that hasn't been the case through last season. The stats posted in the previous page back it up - Poeltl isn't even in the top 50 of fouling centers in the NBA for the last two seasons. I still think he's gotta be better at avoiding fouls, though - but that's not a reason to not re-sign a player, IMO at least.

I can't think of many scenarios barring injury, where Poeltl is "overpaid" at his current contract. He's stated pretty clearly that he and the Spurs have talked about the future, and they'll probably keep him as a bench piece for this last season, then make him a starter the following 2, then re-evaluate for the next contract.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He averaged 17.7 mpg. For sure, he's historically a sub par defensive rebounder (makes sense considering his relative lack of length (7'2.75'' wingspan) and strength), though he graduated to decent last season.

Rebound % and box outs, which generally lead to your team rebounding better with you on the floor, are far more telling than rpg.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually, I think it's the opposite - posters here who are Poeltl-averse, mostly have fresh in their minds the foul trouble Jakob had during the bubble, where calls were noticeably soft, but that hasn't been the case through last season. The stats posted in the previous page back it up - Poeltl isn't even in the top 50 of fouling centers in the NBA for the last two seasons. I still think he's gotta be better at avoiding fouls, though - but that's not a reason to not re-sign a player, IMO at least.

I can't think of many scenarios barring injury, where Poeltl is "overpaid" at his current contract. He's stated pretty clearly that he and the Spurs have talked about the future, and they'll probably keep him as a bench piece for this last season, then make him a starter the following 2, then re-evaluate for the next contract.
    I wonder where he ranks vs real centers. Seeing guys like Tacko make me question the list. You need minutes qualifiers in there imo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder where he ranks vs real centers. Seeing guys like Tacko make me question the list. You need minutes qualifiers in there imo.
    I'd love to know that, too, but I don't really know how to search for that or exclude players below a certain minutes played threshold. Sucks that BBRef put most of their advanced stats and filters behind a paywall...

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At MP >= 1171

NBA.com keeps same rank #, but removes those below the filter.
    So manually counting, worst to best:

1 Dwight Howard
    2 Jaren Jackson Jr.
    3 Daniel Theis

8 Joel Embiid
    9 Jakob Poeltl
    10 Andre Drummond

34 Lauri Markkanen
    35 Larry Nance Jr.
    36 Kevin Love

Thread Information