Page 333 of 1631 FirstFirst ... 2332833233293303313323333343353363373433834338331333 ... LastLast
Results 8,301 to 8,325 of 40770
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Many liberals are against globalism because of the exploitation of labor and trampling of human rights it necessitates. Not sure Chump's position here, though.

I would call myself a "soft globalist" ideally. We shouldn't trade with bad actors and opaque governments (like China). And if a product must be manufactured outside of the US, we should ensure the workers doing that manufacturing are paid a fair living wage per their country's cost of living, while also ensuring they have the same worker's rights as they do here or in other developed countries.
    We non libertarian conservatives call that Free and Fair Trade. First championed by Reagan, then an abandoned idea for 28 years, now Trump has taken it for his own. Both parties have been guilty of buying into the libertarian lie that "free" trade will magically make ty regimes become nice ones.
    Last edited by SnakeBoy; 04-03-2020 at 01:59 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know this is the political forum, but FFS, can't we have some common ground?

I think we all just want this to end ASAP, no?

This is going to be a ROUGH month or two. I wish you all the best.
    I've been saying since early in this thread, this is the 5th endemic human coronavirus. It's not going to just end, it's endemic now. Hopefully therapies will work to lessen loss of life so buying time is worth it. Hopefully weather affects it's transmission to buy some more time. Just don't be fooled into thinking it's just going to stop.

These guys whining about political parties don't seem to be able to grasp what is happening globally.

Listen to Dr. Mike Osterholm. He's the real deal, advised multiple administrations, friends with Fauci etc. He'll never be the public face of this though because he's too ing honest.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Listen to Dr. Mike Osterholm. He's the real deal, advised multiple administrations, friends with Fauci etc. He'll never be the public face of this though because he's too ing honest.
    so....the guy you still support would silence him.

thanks for all your help.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Black Americans lined-up for the jobs illegals were taking from them after some massive raids in 2019.
    Link?

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ask your bull.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump hasn't ordered any ventilators from GM, despite saying he was using wartime powers to force production

WASHINGTON – Nearly a week after invoking his powers under a Korean War-era law to compel General Motors to manufacture ventilators for coronavirus, President Donald Trump’s administration has not formally ordered any of the machines, USA TODAY has learned.

As governors warn of severe shortages of ventilators, Trump has been hesitant to use his wartime powers to force companies to ramp up production under the Defense Production Act, arguing that such an order amounts to a takeover of private industry.

But Trump said Friday he would use the act to require General Motors to make ventilators after what he described as a dispute with the company over supply and pricing. Three administration officials speaking on the condition of anonymity told USA TODAY that the government is still exploring its options and has not yet placed an order under the Defense Production Act for any of the machines.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency "continues to work within its authorities to coordinate with the private sector," an agency spokesperson who declined to be identified said when asked about the lack of an order to GM. Federal agencies are "in the process of reviewing these delegated authorities," the person said.

On Friday, Trump told reporters that he thought Washington had an agreement with General Motors to manufacture the ventilators but said the company lowered its estimate of how many units it could produce and that "price became a big object." The president then said he would use his powers under the Defense Production Act to force the automaker to start work on the machines.

"I invoked the Defense Production Act to compel General Motors to accept, perform, and prioritize federal contracts for ventilators," Trump said. "This invocation of the DPA should demonstrate clearly to all that we will not hesitate to use the full authority of the federal government to combat this crisis."

In fact, Trump actually took a less significant step: He signed a memorandum delegating "available" authorities under the act to Azar. The health department has been working since then with FEMA and other federal agencies to figure out how to execute Trump's wishes.

Peter Navarro, who Trump named as his point person on the Defense Production Act, told Politico on Thursday that the administration was relying on voluntary updates from the company. Navarro did not respond to questions about the act from USA TODAY.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...nt/5100856002/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This virus really needs people to take even more extreme measures to slow the growth. For instance, if a household has one person that's going out to work then they should probably do their best to isolate at home. But I haven't seen anyone make recommend steps like that. That person is overwhelming coming home and cuddling with their partner who will be doing things with the kids all day.
    Many people are doing just that. I know a lot of people in healthcare who have sent their families away while they continue to go to work.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    FEMA tells lawmakers most new ventilators won't be ready until June

Most of the 100,000 ventilators that President Donald Trump promised the U.S. would obtain won't be available until June, Federal Emergency Management Agency officials told the House Oversight Committee this week.

FEMA officials, according to a readout of a pair of briefings by the panel's Democrats, indicated that a shortage of ventilators would worsen by the middle of this month before the coronavirus outbreak peaks. FEMA indicated there were just 9,500 ventilators in the national stockpile, with just 3,200 more expected by the week of April 13, the tail end of what Trump described recently as a "painful two weeks" as the outbreak is expected to worsen.

Most of the ventilators Trump said would be ready before the end of June won't be available until that month "at the earliest," the Oversight Committee said FEMA indicated.

FEMA officials told committee members in a March 30 meeting and briefed the top Democrat and Republican at an April 1 briefing.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...ilators-161840

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Many people are doing just that. I know a lot of people in healthcare who have sent their families away while they continue to go to work.
    Yeah, I've seen stories about people in healthcare doing this but I don't think this practice is being implemented by very many people outside of that. Hopefully I'm wrong though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hard to believe Trump ran his idiot son in law at us yesterday to lecture is about how smart he is, what a great manager he is, and the purpose of the national stockpile

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we need to start wearing masks d
    CDC knows this but isn't gonna say it until they have made sure health care workers and first responders have enough.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hard to believe Trump ran his idiot son in law at us yesterday to lecture is about how smart he is, what a great manager he is, and the purpose of the national stockpile

An administration run by ing morons and liars, there's no other way to put it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Federal government is by nature painfully slow to respond to anything urgent. I deal with them all the time on contracts. They are constrained by multiple restraints passed by congress that even events that might be considered emergencies by those on the ground getting all the paperwork done can take weeks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    An administration run by ing morons and liars, there's no other way to put it.
    America has a very sizable amount of morons and liars, there's no other way to put it.

just stick around spurstalk, you'll know why these guys are in power.

My Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    Post Count
    What I don't get about all these doctor's claims is how they've been treating "all their patients" with hydroxychloroquine when the FDA just approved prescription outside clinical trials a few days ago. He's been a part of these trials or breaking the law? If he's part of the trials, he's asking his sons instead to do the analysis?
    It’s not breaking the law using a medication if not FDA approved for that indication.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump is incredibly flawed but the reason I don't spend time defending him on here is because it's a waste of time. You'll be voting for Joe Biden's corpse no matter what and Trump's getting 4 more years.
    4 more years

Looks like I was pretty much spot on.

As I said, embedded int he conservative echo chamber, and a slave to cognitive bias.

Trump won the electoral college by 77,000 votes, a razor thin margin of less than 1% in three states He cannot keep talent, surrounds himself with yesmen, and is less popular now than he was when he took office. His one saving grace, the economy, which he up until now had managed not to up is gone.

He is attacking Michigans governor, one of those three states, where he wont by 0.4%, or ten thousand votes. By "attacking" I mean denying supplies in a pandemic.

That doesn't play well with voters. His obvious bungling of the pandemic is already producing some scathing ads.

It boggles the mind that someone as smart as yourself can't get over your own cognitive bias. smh

Conservatives in general suck at that, it is sort of the definition of conservative. If you were good at evaluating information, testing your own underlying assumptions, and critical thinking, you probably wouldn't be a conservative.

White millennials are not leaving the Democratic party.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Sorry, forgot to add corrupt...

Kushner company stands to benefit from freeze on federal mortgage payments
    With more than $800 million in federally backed properties, Kushner Companies could reduce its payments to zero under provisions of the recovery bill.

Jared Kushner’s family business could be a prime beneficiary of a provision in the federal recovery bill that allows owners of apartment buildings to freeze federal mortgage payments on low- and moderate-income properties.

Kushner Companies, the real estate firm started in 1985 by Kushner’s father, Charles, controls thousands of low- and moderate-housing units across the country, some of which are funded through an $800 million federally backed loan the firm received in 2019.

The option for owners to temporarily freeze mortgage payments on low- and moderate-income housing developments, in exchange for promising not to evict tenants who can’t pay their rent, was one of the economic provisions approved by Congress and signed into law by President Donald Trump last week. It is considered a way to keep lower-income apartment dwellers in their homes, but also shifted the burden of housing them from their landlords to the federal government and taxpayers.

Because Kushner Companies, like many real estate companies, establishes buildings as a network of individual LLCs, it may be possible for it to obtain federal help for some buildings even if it has enough money to cover the mortgage payments, said Shekar Narasimhan, an expert in real estate financing and managing partner of the firm Beekman Advisors.

“Could he take advantage of it? Yes, his company could,” Narasimhan said. “They’re supposed to have deep pockets, but most owners set each building up to an LLC. So in theory, he doesn't have an obligation to write a check.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...ry-bill-162652

---

How is his dad receiving a $800 million government loan not a conflict of interest? smh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    at ppl still watching Orangegotan daily briefings

you will get stupider by the day

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oranangegutan daily briefings are the pandemic equivalent of a daily coca cola can

faggy opinion + certainty Mark Celibate's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    a good friend of mine's grandma just tested positive yesterday. Unfortunately she pretty much fits the definition of a vulnerable case. In an assisted living facility, heavy smoker pretty much her whole life, diet of constant junk food etc

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    a good friend of mine's grandma just tested positive yesterday. Unfortunately she pretty much fits the definition of a vulnerable case. In an assisted living facility, heavy smoker pretty much her whole life, diet of constant junk food etc
    Assisted living facilities are ing hamster boxes too. Chances are 10+ people in the same facility also have it.

faggy opinion + certainty Mark Celibate's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Assisted living facilities are ing hamster boxes too. Chances are 10+ people in the same facility also have it.
    Exactly. She's actually been mostly asymptomatic (so far), but was only tested because her caretaker tested positive for it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This virus really needs people to take even more extreme measures to slow the growth. For instance, if a household has one person that's going out to work then they should probably do their best to isolate at home. But I haven't seen anyone make recommend steps like that. That person is overwhelming coming home and cuddling with their partner who will be doing things with the kids all day.
    Actually a month ago I said that labs and hospitals especially the specific teams who treat coronavirus and test for it should be isolated in hotels and given dedicated buses back and forth to their jobs. They do not come in contact with anyone else. I know this is very extreme but so is death. This is to protect those individuals.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Sorry, forgot to add corrupt...

Kushner company stands to benefit from freeze on federal mortgage payments
    With more than $800 million in federally backed properties, Kushner Companies could reduce its payments to zero under provisions of the recovery bill.

Jared Kushner’s family business could be a prime beneficiary of a provision in the federal recovery bill that allows owners of apartment buildings to freeze federal mortgage payments on low- and moderate-income properties.

Kushner Companies, the real estate firm started in 1985 by Kushner’s father, Charles, controls thousands of low- and moderate-housing units across the country, some of which are funded through an $800 million federally backed loan the firm received in 2019.

The option for owners to temporarily freeze mortgage payments on low- and moderate-income housing developments, in exchange for promising not to evict tenants who can’t pay their rent, was one of the economic provisions approved by Congress and signed into law by President Donald Trump last week. It is considered a way to keep lower-income apartment dwellers in their homes, but also shifted the burden of housing them from their landlords to the federal government and taxpayers.

Because Kushner Companies, like many real estate companies, establishes buildings as a network of individual LLCs, it may be possible for it to obtain federal help for some buildings even if it has enough money to cover the mortgage payments, said Shekar Narasimhan, an expert in real estate financing and managing partner of the firm Beekman Advisors.

“Could he take advantage of it? Yes, his company could,” Narasimhan said. “They’re supposed to have deep pockets, but most owners set each building up to an LLC. So in theory, he doesn't have an obligation to write a check.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...ry-bill-162652

---

How is his dad receiving a $800 million government loan not a conflict of interest? smh
    Cuckner is a s bag but story is a nothingburger. It was $800 million of Fannie and Freddie debt that was underwritten with the same guidelines Fannie and Freddie use for the hundreds of billions of multifamily lending it does every year.

Calling it “government backed debt” is misleading, it’s the same type of “government backed” debt that all multifamily landlords have access to.

I personally think the government doesn’t need to be in the business of financing multifamily properties at al, but Cuckner didn’t get any kind of special treatment.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly. She's actually been mostly asymptomatic (so far), but was only tested because her caretaker tested positive for it
    ... and that is all she wrote. The only fatalities in the city I am in so far are all connected with a single nursing home, as are a lot of the diagnosed cases. Makes it easier to convince my dad to stay inside.

Thread Information