this move only makes sense if forbes is cut loose

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What was the point of signing this scrub? He was terrible when the Spurs won a le with him on the roster, so it's not like there was a loyalty factor..

When you already have Mills and ultimately kept Forbes as a rotation piece, what's the point of an old, soft, declining, no-defense player that would get exposed if you even make the playoffs?

Just a waste man..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs need to put his ing ass on the block for a young player

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But tha culture

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who will trade a decent young player for Marco?

Besides, PATFO doesn't trade unless forced into it.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Belinelli has negative value and you think some team is going to attach a young player in a deal for him? Spurstalk is where fantasy lives.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shouldn't have brought him back. Didn't like the signing but it's whatever at this point tbh. There comes a point you care less and less about things like this. At least it wasn't a 4/50 mills deal.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    Shouldn't have brought him back. Didn't like the signing but it's whatever at this point tbh. There comes a point you care less and less about things like this. At least it wasn't a 4/50 mills deal.
    The PATFO is "soft" and incapable of making hardcore decisions. Should never have let Sam Presti walk away.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Having 1 Belinelli-type is fine, but they have FOUR of them in the rotation..FOUR..in today's NBA, where every good team is athletic and/or long..

Mills, Forbes and Bertans were already on the roster..why add ANOTHER one of these types?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Having 1 Belinelli-type is fine, but they have FOUR of them in the rotation..FOUR..in today's NBA, where every good team is athletic and/or long..

Mills, Forbes and Bertans were already on the roster..why add ANOTHER one of these types?
    These players are a relic from 10 years ago when you could dump it down to Duncan and he would hit these types of players for 3s. Pop's philosophy is still stuck in that time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just another one of those signings that nobody understood at the time and, as expected, ended it up being hot garbage. There's a whole bunch of these ones piling up on the PATFO history chart.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who will trade a decent young player for Marco?

Besides, PATFO doesn't trade unless forced into it.
    Maybe the Sixers?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Beli, Bertans, and Forbes all have moveable contracts too and will probably be valuable to a team that needs shooting (Philly) but RC/Pop for sure consider these guys untouchable tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What was the point of signing this scrub? He was terrible when the Spurs won a le with him on the roster, so it's not like there was a loyalty factor..

When you already have Mills and ultimately kept Forbes as a rotation piece, what's the point of an old, soft, declining, no-defense player that would get exposed if you even make the playoffs?

Just a waste man..
    You could see what they were doing with Beli, Forbes and Bertans. They wanted to make sure they had shooting around their three best players. But they really need to invest in acquiring better defenders to compliment their guys too. I get that Walker was BPA. I understand the free-agent market wasn't great for SFs. But they controlled what they got in the Leonard trade (to an extent, obviously), and they controlled which low-level player they brought in for camp. It's hard to justify the lack of investment in any defensive players/prospects in light of all their moves.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just another one of those signings that nobody understood at the time and, as expected, ended it up being hot garbage. There's a whole bunch of these ones piling up on the PATFO history chart.
    It's true

Used to be the only worry was Pop not playing younger, better players over scrubs due to whatever arbitrary loyalties and supers ions he had.

But RC joined him. Toronto was one of the deepest teams in the league and he had Milutinov waiting in the wings, yet RC somehow prized their big soft bum to grab while giving up Green with Fake Injury Kawhi. Add in feces July 1 deals for Mills and Marco and his awful Gasol deal and I have no faith in the Spurs FO anymore. They still draft okay but then you have to wait unknown lunar years for Pop to decide they've paid their dues.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You could see what they were doing with Beli, Forbes and Bertans. They wanted to make sure they had shooting around their three best players. But they really need to invest in acquiring better defenders to compliment their guys too. I get that Walker was BPA. I understand the free-agent market wasn't great for SFs. But they controlled what they got in the Leonard trade (to an extent, obviously), and they controlled which low-level player they brought in for camp. It's hard to justify the lack of investment in any defensive players/prospects in light of all their moves.
    I understand wanting shooting, but how can you have FOUR of these guys in the rotation? Anything more than 2 is pushing it, honestly..

If you're going to keep Forbes and Bertans, why add Marco? If you don't want to keep Anderson and shopped Green, why not look for a competent defender rather than arguably the worst in the league in Belinelli? If Murray was healthy, White wouldn't even be playing right now IMO, while Mills and Beli would be getting minutes..

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's also add that for the FOUR years before this season he only shot 35.5% from three. Just overrated as a shooter. Marco's last 4 seasons were even very slightly worse than Gary Neal's final 4 seasons in the NBA.

He played 11 seasons before this one and only managed at least 40% twice.

With his bad defense, poor shot selection, and overrated shooting he's just bad news and should lose his spot to Walker as soon as he's healthy. We know of course that it won't happen. But I have no doubt Walker can just as easily shoot 32% from 3 but add better defense and an element of athleticism in transition.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I understand wanting shooting, but how can you have FOUR of these guys in the rotation? Anything more than 2 is pushing it, honestly..

If you're going to keep Forbes and Bertans, why add Marco? If you don't want to keep Anderson and shopped Green, why not look for a competent defender rather than arguably the worst in the league in Belinelli? If Murray was healthy, White wouldn't even be playing right now IMO, while Mills and Beli would be getting minutes..
    That's the main problem. Maybe they did the Leonard trade too late for them to appropriately set up their roster. Like without the trade, you had:

Murray/White, Green, Leonard, Gay/Cunningham/Aldridge
    Mills, White/Forbes/Murray, Belinelli, Bertans/Gay/Cunningham, Gasol
    Forbes/White, Walker, Pondexter, Metu, (some cheap center like Joff)

And you'd have the understanding that Danny was going to be let walk, and Lonnie was going to take over. Sure, there's still some fat on that roster with Beli, Forbes and Bertans being one shooter too many, but with Leonard and Green, no one's complaining about size or D. Sure, they'd be complaining about O, likely, but if Murray still got hurt, I think White would look about as good as he does now, so that might not be as big of a problem. The DeRozan trade just dramatically increased the need for defensive wings, and it made having so many offense-first/offense-only perimeter players seem foolish.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think it has anywhere near as much to do with his shooting but ball movement and off the ball play. It's something they lost with Manu retiring, and Anderson never had. That said, the way this roster is constructed, basically playing LMA postups and DD/Gay ISOs, he's just not a great fit.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you had told me 3 months ago that firing RC and putting Dennis in his place would improve the franchise's future, I'd have said you're crazy. But here we are tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't know my first reaction to this news was so spot on.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you had told me 3 months ago that firing RC and putting Dennis in his place would improve the franchise's future, I'd have said you're crazy. But here we are tbh.
    Nah, I could've seen it 3 months ago. Seven or eight months ago is still too soon; RC has been bad at everything outside the draft for years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like re s here haven't learned their lesson. Still overvaluing defense in today's NBA especially scrubs that can't score to save their garbage lives

You ain't outscoring the Rockets and Warriors with Fathead, Murray, and Green.
    lol son.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I tried to trick myself into thinking 12 mils for 2 years isn't that bad, but then it struck me that this will probably cost us Bertans and/or Anderson. Add that to the fact that this probably means Walker and/or White will get no playing time, and this is a very bad signing.
    Yep.

Thread Information