Page 19 of 24 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So Nephew left Toronto by freakin TEXT message to teammates that helped him a lot last year. Class act. A thief in the night that #2.
    How should he have done it? Gone to their homes individually?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love the revisionist history... Ppl were praising Pop and laughing at Kawhi when he was sent to Toronto... Now that he proved to be a beast and won them a ring, they want to switch up the narrative that he somehow did them wrong... Lolol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMFAO...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ducky now he is hated by Spurs fans, Flaker Fans, Oklahoma Fans, and Raptor Fans... Your boy is all class ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just glad the helmet crew is eating right now.

Patfo! Patfo! Patfo!
    Porker and Manure's comments
    They didn't gib him talent

And all that other bull . He left a in' le team in an Eastern Conference where the only compe ion for the next half decade would be the Bucks and maybe Sixers (they set themselves back with the Tobias Harris contract), He had a roster filled with young talent and solid vets, and would be playing in a city that would worship him and for a wet blanket coach who bows to his whims. Didn't matter. LA was the goal. Always was the goal. Common enemies, strange bedfellows and all that, so at how he and Dennis manipulated the Lakers, but the way they strung the Lakers along so they'd miss out on FAs gives insight into how sneaky that camp is.

at anyone who though PATFO was the villain in this situation.
    As I keep saying, can't treat a woman like , then when she leaves u for the guy from her hometown, say that she was planning to leave u the entire time...

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    4 un protected 1sts and players?! Great fckn job sam presti
    For an over-rated stat stuffer.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Presti essentially picked Kendrick Perkins over James Harden
    Don't remember that. But I remember 4 yrs / $56 mil was apparently going to break OKC's back.

Cheap ass owner could've had a dynasty with three of the top five offensive players in the game. What a shcmuck.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And this is why you don’t pander. Pop tries to be one of the most “woke” coaches in the NBA. He lashes out at Trump all the time, cries about racism for blacks, etc., and yet the blacks still love Kawhi because they think he was sticking it to the man by ditching Pop.

Pop needs to get his head out his ass and get back to coaching his ass off on the court! Stop with all the sideshow bull that no one cares about, not even the people he pretends to be supporting.
    Bro wtf are u talking about? Smh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And the Raptors did nothing wrong to Kawhi and he still left. And you still REFUSE to acknowledge this fact. This FACT plays along with why Kawhi left the Spurs and youre in denial of this
    I ok let me break it down for u guys... Kawhi pretty much has a wife... U know what MY wife would say if I busted my ass carrying a bunch of old guys in a team that misdiagnosed me, then tried to pressure me into playing by throwing shade at me in the media? She would say "f*ck them! Let's just go home"...

Kawhi clearly was willing to stay in Toronto if they got PG... He NEVER was gonna go play with lebron... Clippers won the PG deal.... Kawhi's wife I'm sure has a lot to do with where he wants to stay... Any married man would tell you the same... So while I think he would have gone back to Toronto, I think he was leaning towards the clippers...

But none of this would have happened if the spurs didn't it up in the first place... Spurs reportedly had very shady dealings by saying one thing to Kawhi's face, then running to the media after and bashing him

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, it’s all over. Here’s what I think:

There was very little the Spurs could have done to hold onto Kawhi Leonard. He wanted to play close to home, and once he emerged into a franchise player, he expected to be treated like a modern franchise player.

The Spurs’ organization got spoiled by the Big 3, especially Tim Duncan. Tim Duncan frankly managed the Spurs as much as they managed him. He does not behave in any way at all like a modern NBA superstar, does not have the worldview of an American NBA superstar, though ironically his power and influence over the organization eclipsed that which these guys craved, because of the way he handled his business. We all should be able to see how much of a hit the “Spurs Way” took when he retired.

Kawhi wasn’t all that keen on staying in San Antonio under any cir stances. But he did respect Pop as a coach. And for a while he cared about his teammates, though he’s pretty cutthroat deep down, and once he’s done, he’s done. At some point, someone in the organization made him feel like he wasn’t valued, like he was less than the Big 3, like he wasn’t ready to lead because he was quiet, not a genius in dealing with teammates like Duncan was. Then given his mindset, the notion that the Spurs might even question giving him the supermax was unforgivable disrespect. The actual money doesn’t even matter (given that he forfeited $80 million ultimately). And the idea that somebody would come across as implying that he didn’t care enough about winning if he didn’t take less... at that point he was done with the San Antonio Spurs. Don’t they know that it was their players and Pop who made them what they were? Outside of them, the Spurs were just another franchise?

And that’s not even taking into account what he thought about the way they handled player signings. Not that he ever uttered a word about how he felt about any of this.

So once the quad became an issue, he was in no mind to risk his body to rush back to them. Yeah, the Spurs gave his team total control over his treatment and recovery, because they better — he’s a superstar. But then he hears rumblings that some in the organization think he’s faking it? Well F them. He’ll play on his terms, when he’s damn ready. Stealing $19 million? F that, he thought he was a damn bargain for the contract he signed.

It’s not as though the Spurs acted in bad faith. They did the Spurs thing they always had done. And they thought Kawhi had bought into the Spurs Way; it’s not as though he had ever spoken up to say anything different. How were they to know that what they really had on their hands was a guy just as en led, demanding, sensitive, touchy, and unforgiving as the typical NBA superstar these days? Maybe they should have known — it’s no secret what millennials are like, and it’s no secret how powerful the elite players are and what they extract from their teams.

In any event, it’s over. Leonard is gone. Also, Peter Holt is gone, Tim Duncan is gone, Manu Ginobili is gone, and Gregg Popovich only has a couple of years left. Culture is set by leaders, and there is no guarantee that those who come after will be able to maintain what came before. There is nothing magic about that logo or this city, or the banners of past glory, that will keep the Spurs “Spursy.” Those who come after will have to accomplish whatever they do on their own merits.
    Well stated

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just how many boos Kawhi get? One big up yours in Toronto (or maybe not because he got them a one time trophy?), 2 in San Antonio, 2 in Lakers, 2 in OKC, 2 in Golden State.
    Why does it matter? U really think Kawhi cares about being boo'd? Lmfao

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who...one of your island moon cricket buddies who told you he hangs with Tim Duncan at the local pool when he comes home to visit?
    I hang with Tim Duncan

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who...one of your island moon cricket buddies who told you he hangs with Tim Duncan at the local pool when he comes home to visit?
    And bring that racist stuff down here see what happens to you... And yall call urselves Tim Duncan fans

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bro wtf are u talking about? Smh
    You gotta forgive/excuse Trump supporters. They aren't the brightest or most lucid bunch.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tons of dumbass liberals too...just saying

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi clearly was willing to stay in Toronto if they got PG... He NEVER was gonna go play with lebron... Clippers won the PG deal.... Kawhi's wife I'm sure has a lot to do with where he wants to stay... Any married man would tell you the same... So while I think he would have gone back to Toronto, I think he was leaning towards the clippers...
    Tbh, it's entertaining to watch Neph Dephenders try to thread the needle to fit the narrative that it's the Spurs fault that Neph left while also fitting the reality that he left the Raptors despite them bending over backwards to fulfill his every want or need.

Pretty impressive

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tbh, it's entertaining to watch Neph Dephenders try to thread the needle to fit the narrative that it's the Spurs fault that Neph left while also fitting the reality that he left the Raptors despite them bending over backwards to fulfill his every want or need.

Pretty impressive
    Its a never-ending twisting of the narrative from duncan2k5. I feel sorry for him at this point

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Pretty impressive
    Its like politics when supporters will continue to believe the guy they voted for has their back even though his polices them over. They will justify it by saying "It's the opposing parties fault why the policies didn't work or blah blah didn't intentionally try to harm us." It really comes down to how a lot of people can't admit when they have gotten played. This is to me the case with all of the #2 defenders.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hang with Tim Duncan
    ...I'm sure you guys are good buds. Brings you and your folks a turkey on Thanksgiving, right?
    And bring that racist stuff down here see what happens to you... And yall call urselves Tim Duncan fans
    Plan on cruising that way next year. I'll PM you and you can meet me on the dock or wherever. I'll say it right to your face

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I ok let me break it down for u guys... Kawhi pretty much has a wife... U know what MY wife would say if I busted my ass carrying a bunch of old guys in a team that misdiagnosed me, then tried to pressure me into playing by throwing shade at me in the media? She would say "f*ck them! Let's just go home"...

But none of this would have happened if the spurs didn't it up in the first place... Spurs reportedly had very shady dealings by saying one thing to Kawhi's face, then running to the media after and bashing him

Dude, seriously, I think you are actually starting to believe yourself. You are crazy to think you will ever convince anyone of that

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dude, seriously, I think you are actually starting to believe yourself. You are crazy to think you will ever convince anyone of that
    He does. I think he's mentally ill and really needs attention. Wish i knew the guy in real life so i could give him help and find a proper therapist.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, it’s all over. Here’s what I think:

There was very little the Spurs could have done to hold onto Kawhi Leonard. He wanted to play close to home, and once he emerged into a franchise player, he expected to be treated like a modern franchise player.

The Spurs’ organization got spoiled by the Big 3, especially Tim Duncan. Tim Duncan frankly managed the Spurs as much as they managed him. He does not behave in any way at all like a modern NBA superstar, does not have the worldview of an American NBA superstar, though ironically his power and influence over the organization eclipsed that which these guys craved, because of the way he handled his business. We all should be able to see how much of a hit the “Spurs Way” took when he retired.

Kawhi wasn’t all that keen on staying in San Antonio under any cir stances. But he did respect Pop as a coach. And for a while he cared about his teammates, though he’s pretty cutthroat deep down, and once he’s done, he’s done. At some point, someone in the organization made him feel like he wasn’t valued, like he was less than the Big 3, like he wasn’t ready to lead because he was quiet, not a genius in dealing with teammates like Duncan was. Then given his mindset, the notion that the Spurs might even question giving him the supermax was unforgivable disrespect. The actual money doesn’t even matter (given that he forfeited $80 million ultimately). And the idea that somebody would come across as implying that he didn’t care enough about winning if he didn’t take less... at that point he was done with the San Antonio Spurs. Don’t they know that it was their players and Pop who made them what they were? Outside of them, the Spurs were just another franchise?

And that’s not even taking into account what he thought about the way they handled player signings. Not that he ever uttered a word about how he felt about any of this.

So once the quad became an issue, he was in no mind to risk his body to rush back to them. Yeah, the Spurs gave his team total control over his treatment and recovery, because they better — he’s a superstar. But then he hears rumblings that some in the organization think he’s faking it? Well F them. He’ll play on his terms, when he’s damn ready. Stealing $19 million? F that, he thought he was a damn bargain for the contract he signed.

It’s not as though the Spurs acted in bad faith. They did the Spurs thing they always had done. And they thought Kawhi had bought into the Spurs Way; it’s not as though he had ever spoken up to say anything different. How were they to know that what they really had on their hands was a guy just as en led, demanding, sensitive, touchy, and unforgiving as the typical NBA superstar these days? Maybe they should have known — it’s no secret what millennials are like, and it’s no secret how powerful the elite players are and what they extract from their teams.

In any event, it’s over. Leonard is gone. Also, Peter Holt is gone, Tim Duncan is gone, Manu Ginobili is gone, and Gregg Popovich only has a couple of years left. Culture is set by leaders, and there is no guarantee that those who come after will be able to maintain what came before. There is nothing magic about that logo or this city, or the banners of past glory, that will keep the Spurs “Spursy.” Those who come after will have to accomplish whatever they do on their own merits.
    fantastic read. I enjoyed reading that. There is some harsh truths in there IMO. If I'm Leonard, I too, would be thinking that 19M is a darn bargain for me.

I hang with Tim Duncan
    You actually hang out with Tim Duncan? Why not ask him what happened with Kawhi if you have access to him?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Reminds me of when the Spurs had Mr. Loyalty himself before he left town for something better in his mind.

Nephew held out after he decided he wanted out, which conveniently happened at the same time he couldn’t get a meaningful shoe endorsement deal (a challenge, apparently, it is for a deaf mute to be a spokesman) which was determined to be the fault of San Antonio itself.

All this before his teammates tired of his antics and called him out on the obvious holdout he was engaged in, not to mention his extreme lack of professionalism. This is not some arbitrary standard placed from without, this was by his peers. You don’t see other players not showing up when they are able and paid to do so, even when they are headed elsewhere the following season.

Dude’s a fraud, he’s burned various bridges with people and organizations which supported him and gave him what he wanted. Spending time defending that either means you’re family or re ed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Pretty impressive
    But he never asked to go there... It's funny watching YALL switch YOUR narrative from laughing at him being sent there... He shoved it right back in ur faces by showing he can win anywhere... Now yall acting like he did something wrong in the situation... I thought yall called it the NBA Siberia? Didn't yall give props for "wasting" a year off Kawhi's career by sending him there? Lmfao... He really stick it to u all, so now u move the goalposts

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ...I'm sure you guys are good buds. Brings you and your folks a turkey on Thanksgiving, right?

Plan on cruising that way next year. I'll PM you and you can meet me on the dock or wherever. I'll say it right to your face
    Patiently waiting

Thread Information