Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You guys realize that elections are just another form of marketing, right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think that was 101's point.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    I know single people who make $100,000 a year in San Antonio and who live paycheck to paycheck and have no kids. The statistic simply means that most people live above their means and does not really say anything about what those means are.
    That stat is crazy! I don't believe it's that high. 7 out of 10 people would be ED if they lost there jobs lets say two-four weeks later. How our these people saving for retirement or if they have kids a car for them, college. If some emergency happens how would they pay for it. I can't wrap my head around that 7 out of 10 people live week to week or month to month.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    of course, you are kind of running in circles now. if the people are really all that gullible and prone to such bad decision making then why even advocate any sort of revolution on their behalf? why not let the status quo exist as it is? this is sort of an ortega y gasset "revolt of the masses" argument that i seem to be reading from you here.
    Not familiar with who you mention but I tend to think higher levels of education inspire more critical thinking necessary to recognize such manipulation but I have a closet full of Adidas and Nike clothes (I can afford it though! LOL) so yeah - maybe not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That stat is crazy! I don't believe it's that high. 7 out of 10 people would be ED if they lost there jobs lets say two-four weeks later. How our these people saving for retirement or if they have kids a car for them, college. If some emergency happens how would they pay for it. I can't wrap my head around that 7 out of 10 people live week to week or month to month.
    Yeah thats what I was saying earlier - statistics like this show you how thin the string that holds our economy together actually is.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    That don't hide that fact. The machines are always talking about how much money they raise to sell their candidate. The rich lady in California is making it a contest because she is so ing rich. Repugs are not suppose to win in California these days.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    ummm the current governor is republican.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That don't hide that fact. The machines are always talking about how much money they raise to sell their candidate. The rich lady in California is making it a contest because she is so ing rich. Repugs are not suppose to win in California these days.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think that was 101's point.

Thanks for the assist, M.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But, its no surprise that the person that wins most elections is the person who spends the most money.

My Team
    Houston Rockets
    Post Count
    Umm is he really or is he a wolf in sheeps clothing.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Umm is he really or is he a wolf in sheeps clothing.
    He's a guy who won after a scandalous smear campaign to recall Gray Davis and make him the fall guy for California's rolling blackouts when it was really Enron slashing supply and gouging Californians.

Ain't over 'till its over MaNuMaNiAc's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    BTW, ManuManiac, an interesting thing I just read about is called the Gini Coefficient which is a measurement of economic inequality in a country. The US and Argentina have very similar numbers.
    That is pretty interesting. I'll have to read up on that one.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Why do so many Americans choose to not live beneath their means? As someone who does live beneath my means, and as a direct result is not living paycheck to paycheck, I have no idea.
    One would say in the interest of fairness CG, you should probably at least ballpark your income if you're going to talk about "living beneath your means". Your means may be different than others.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Off the top of my head; serious expenses people don't NEED, but almost all HAVE:

1. Cable TV.
    2. Cell Phone(s)
    3. Car payments (because they buy new, and trade it in too often)
    Cell phones are often a NEED for many jobs. I'm just a lowly network technician SSgt, but you better believe that nearly everyone in the military should have cell phones. It's highly "encouraged" for all airmen to be reachable at all times.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    15 Shocking Facts Show That the Middle Class is Being Wiped Out

#1 Approximately 45 million Americans were living in poverty in 2009.

#2 According to the Associated Press, experts believe that 2009 saw the largest single year increase in the U.S. poverty rate since the U.S. government began calculating poverty figures back in 1959.

#3 The U.S. poverty rate is now the third worst among the developed nations tracked by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development.

#4 According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, on a year-over-year basis, household participation in the food stamp program has increased 20.28%.

#5 The number of Americans on food stamps surpassed 41 million for the first time ever in June.

#6 As of June, the number of Americans on food stamps had set a new all-time record for 19 consecutive months.

#7 One out of every six Americans is now being served by at least one government anti-poverty program.

#8 More than 50 million Americans are now on Medicaid, the U.S. government health care program designed principally to help the poor.

#9 One out of every seven mortgages in the United States was either delinquent or in foreclosure during the first quarter of 2010.

#10 Nearly 10 million Americans now receive unemployment insurance, which is almost four times as many as were receiving it in 2007.

#11 The number of Americans receiving long-term unemployment benefits has risen over 60 percent in just the past year.

#12 According to one recent survey, 28% of all U.S. households have at least one member that is looking for a full-time job.

#13 Nationwide, bankruptcy filings rose 20 percent in the 12 month period ending June 30th.

#14 More than 25 percent of all Americans now have a credit score below 599.

#15 One out of every five children in the United States is now living in poverty.

http://www.alternet.org/module/printversion/148236

==========

These people are losers, made bad decisions, it's all their fault, even their crime.

--- Heritage Inst, VRWC, Crooky, WC, Yoni, Jack, etc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    To be honest, I'd also argue that people with large families are extremely guilty of making bad decisions. Having that many kids and not being able to afford it is worse than running up your debt on a CC, IMO.
    I hear ya. I have a 13 year old step-daughter and a 3 year old daughter. My wife and I wanted to try for our last one starting at the beginning of this year. Last year, I started to look at finances, make a plan, etc. and realized that we needed to make about 11k more in order comfortably have another child (we made 63k last year pre-tax). A little frustrating obviously. We are only about 4k closer at this time, so, still waiting working and looking.

That was all back story to say this... throughout this entire process (planning financially and putting off having a child) almost everyone I talked to about this said "OH no, you don't worry about money when deciding about a child. If it is in your heart to have a child, you do it and things will take care of themselves (or god will take care of you, or something similar)." It completely baffles me how prevalent this thought process is. I know exactly how "things take care of themselves." First, the opportunities that you are able to provide your children go down the toilet, then the government has to step in and start providing you food. What's even more dumbfounding is that to me, THE MOST important time to worry about money is when deciding about a child. If this is the thing that is so special, doesn't it follow that I should do everything I can to do the best for it?

It confuses the out of me, I still get those questions from the aforementioned people "so are you and your wife going to be trying anytime soon?" I tell them that I haven't been promoted yet, and they know we aren't. I get the old eye roll and they say "Oh, you're still on THAT!"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that was all back story to say this... Throughout this entire process (planning financially and putting off having a child) almost everyone i talked to about this said "oh no, you don't worry about money when deciding about a child. If it is in your heart to have a child, you do it and things will take care of themselves (or god will take care of you, or something similar)."

it completely baffles me how prevalent this thought process is
    +1

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Cell phones are often a NEED for many jobs. I'm just a lowly network technician SSgt, but you better believe that nearly everyone in the military should have cell phones. It's highly "encouraged" for all airmen to be reachable at all times.
    Of course the military wants another leash on it's soldiers. However, if you really needed it, they would issue you one.

You know the old saying, in they wanted you to have a wife, they would issue you one.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That 'Official' Poverty Rate? It's Much Worse than You Think

If we were to include all of these people, we'd be looking at almost 60 million Americans living in poverty. Which means the government number doesn't account for over 14.1 million Americans in poverty.

52 million, roughly 17 percent of the population -- who are currently enrolled in “anti-poverty” programs. Over 50 million are on Medicaid, 41 million on food stamps, 10 million on unemployment, 4.4 million receive welfare. Not counted in this “anti-poverty” total are 30 million children enrolled in the National School Lunch Program. Another metric: if it wasn’t for Social Security -- note to deficit hawks -- 20 million more would be added to the poverty total.

77 percent of Americans are now living paycheck to paycheck. This means in our nation of 310 million citizens, 239 million Americans are one setback away from economic ruin.

corporate profits are soaring while all this is devastation is occurring. Despite this economic crisis, it’s not like our country doesn’t have the money. A recent study done by Capgemini and Merrill Lynch Wealth Management found that a mere 1 percent of Americans are hoarding $13 trillion in “investible wealth.” Yep, 1 percent of Americans are hoarding $13 TRILLION in “investible wealth,” and that doesn’t even factor in all the money they have hidden in offshore accounts.

“There is no such thing as the liberty or effective power of an individual, group, or class, except in relation to the liberties, the effective powers, of other individuals, groups or classes.”

http://www.alternet.org/module/printversion/148255

===========

--- thanks to the VRWC stealing from the people and redistributing wealth upwards, while lying that government is the root of all evil. The VRWC owns that govt and games it to enrich itself.

Watch the Repugs' campaign plaftorm today continue the VRWC's War on America.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The VRWC. Are you ing serious?

You say that, and you expect people to take you seriously, correct?

Ain't over 'till its over MaNuMaNiAc's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I don't even think he expects it anymore, to tell you the truth. Its become remarkably clear that bouton's doesn't really give a what people think.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I get that; a phone for the bread winner who needs it makes complete sense; however, when each of his/her children ALSO has a phone, and there is a $220 bill? Too much for a "poor" family, IMO.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yes, I'M ING SERIOUS about VRWC.

And anybody who doesn't admit to the VRWC is either part of the VRWC or ing dumb .

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Yes, I'M ING SERIOUS about VRWC.

And anybody who doesn't admit to the VRWC is either part of the VRWC or ing dumb .
    Or, conversely, anybody who admits to believing there is a VRWC is either ing nuts, or is a ing dumb .

See how that works?

Extremism. It's not just for religious hacks anymore.

Thread Information