Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    USA Today:
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...st/3774369001/
    4. San Antonio Spurs (A).
    Florida State’s Devin Vassell staying on the board helped the Spurs draft a 3-and-D player who can fit in with solid outside shooting and perimeter defense. Drafting All-American Tre Jones of Duke at No. 41 follows the savvy selections of franchise icons Tony Parker at No. 28 and Manu Ginobili at No. 57. Jones is an elite defender who is arguably better than his brother, Memphis Grizzlies guard Tyus Jones.
    CBS Sports:
    https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2...ounds-1-and-2/
    11. San Antonio Spurs: SG Devin Vassell, Florida State

I like it. He is a classic 3-and-D guy who shot above 40 percent from 3-point range in two different seasons. He was one of the best -- probably the best -- players on the best team in the ACC. And given San Antonio's history of developing high-energy, defensive-minded wing players (think Kawhi Leonard, for one), this is a great fit. Grade: A-

41. San Antonio Spurs: PG Tre Jones, Duke

The Spurs have a way of finding value even in the second round, as they've done here with point guard Tre Jones. Jones doesn't have the flash of some other first-round guards but certainly has the game -- and on our board, the grade -- of one. Grade: A
    Sports Illustrated:
    https://www.si.com/nba/2020/11/19/nb...es-lamelo-ball
    San Antonio Spurs: B

The Spurs have stacked their roster with young guards in recent years, making Devin Vassell a sensible addition as San Antonio transitions into a new era. He is a polished defensive product and has a reliable jumper to boot. San Antonio will have boundless length when Vassell and Dejounte Murray share the floor. Consider this pick a nice complementary asset for Gregg Popovich and Co.
    NY Post:
    https://nypost.com/2020/11/19/nba-dr...y-teams-picks/
    San Antonio Spurs

No. 11: Devin Vassell, SG, Florida State

No. 41: Tre Jones, PG, Duke

Vassell seems like he could be the next gem the Spurs unearth as a 3-and-D wing who was a late bloomer. They followed that up by picking Jones, another player who could benefit from the Spurs’ development process.
    Grade: A-
    Sporting News:
    https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/...n135c36pql7wvp
    11. Spurs — Devin Vassell, Florida State, Guard

Vassell could quickly emerge as the best 3-and-D prospect in the class and log significant minutes for a team chasing a playoff berth. He should at least be a role player for years to come — and maybe much more.

Grade: A
    The Ringer:
    https://www.theringer.com/2020/11/18...analysis-picks
    11. San Antonio Spurs: Devin Vassell, F, Florida State

The Spurs didn’t overthink this—and got it right. Vassell is the best 3-and-D prospect in this year’s draft and has more shot-creating talent than he showed in college. His ability to guard on the wing, play as a help-side defender, and be an efficient offensive player makes him a great fit next to San Antonio’s collection of young, ball-dominant guards. There’s very little chance that Vassell busts, and he has the chance to be a more valuable NBA player than a lot of the players taken ahead of him. The only concern is that predraft video where he bizarrely changed his shooting motion. Everyone in San Antonio just has to pretend that never happened.

Grade: A
    DraftKings:
    https://dknation.draftkings.com/2020...rriors-celtics
    San Antonio Spurs
    Grade: B

It’s hard to knock the Spurs in any draft, because their first-round pick could turn into Kawhi Leonard. Devin Vassell likely won’t be the next Kawhi, but he is a strong two-way wing who addresses a position of need for San Antonio, which has plenty of guards.
    Bleacher Report:
    https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ades-and-picks
    11. San Antonio Spurs: Devin Vassell, G/F, Florida State

Grade: B+

Vassell was expected to be the first Seminoles player selected, but that honor went to Williams. He comes into a Spurs organization that has fallen into mediocrity—neither good enough to compete for playoff berths but not bad enough to be selecting at the top of the lottery.

Vassell is an elite wing defender and shot 41 percent from behind the arc at FSU. If he can continue that into his pro career, the Spurs will have a nice piece to begin their rebuild around.

41. San Antonio Spurs: Tre Jones, G, Duke
    Grade: A-

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But half the people here will say F because devin wasn't their choice

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks for doing this OP

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most of those are phoned in analysis, but it was a very normal draft through the first 15 picks, got crazy towards the back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's a tough call between Vassell and Haliburton, and it'll be fun watching how their careers unfold. Haliburton having nearly triple the assists per 100 possessions but nearly the same number of efficient points & rebounds makes me lean a little more towards him, but I can see an argument for either.

Whenever analysts name-check Dejounte as the main young guy for the Spurs, I know they don't follow the team too closely.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm down with the pick of Vassell. I liked Jalen Smith, but the Suns attempted to block us again. Smith can spend a couple of years learning from the bench behind Ayton and Baynes (should he stay in PHX) I suppose.

Vassell should be a more immediate help to the team and I really like the idea of seeing him, KJ and Walker on the floor together.

Jones was a solid second round pick. I'm glad we didn't just throw that one away on a prospect that may or may not pan out. I think Jones may surprise folks and be better than advertised. In my book that pick moved us from a B draft to an A.

Next I'd like to see the Spurs not resign Forbes, and maybe move Murray and Mills. If they can add another forward/wing somehow, the offseason looks pretty decent. Heck, if we just get word that Forbes is out I'll be ecstatic regardless of Mills/Murray status.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm down with the pick of Vassell. I liked Jalen Smith, but the Suns attempted to block us again. Smith can spend a couple of years learning from the bench behind Ayton and Baynes (should he stay in PHX) I suppose.

Vassell should be a more immediate help to the team and I really like the idea of seeing him, KJ and Walker on the floor together.

Jones was a solid second round pick. I'm glad we didn't just throw that one away on a prospect that may or may not pan out. I think Jones may surprise folks and be better than advertised. In my book that pick moved us from a B draft to an A.

Next I'd like to see the Spurs not resign Forbes, and maybe move Murray and Mills. If they can add another forward/wing somehow, the offseason looks pretty decent. Heck, if we just get word that Forbes is out I'll be ecstatic regardless of Mills/Murray status.
    Murray + mills + lyles for Wiggins + 2021 minny 1st + 2022 GS 1st works.... just sayin...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Klay tore his Achilles then I would love to trade DEROZZ or LMA and take Wiggins and get next years draft pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good work, Dex. Thanks

I think it was a B+ to A- draft for the Spurs. For being such a "safe" pick, Vassell has some sneaky upside -- which makes him more exciting than your typical 3-and-D prospect. If Jones isn't in the NBA in five years, I'd be pretty surprised. That alone makes him a solid second round pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs made the right picks imho from what I've seen and followed.

on a side note I hope Kilian will blossom with the Pistons

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not much to hate with the Spurs draft at all.

Both should be solid contributors for years at the very least. You'd take that any day of the week!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I say send Forbes and Weatherspoon packing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs made the right picks imho from what I've seen and followed.

on a side note I hope Kilian will blossom with the Pistons
    Yes, the Pistons. Where players go to blossom . Jk

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I say send Forbes and Weatherspoon packing.
    WTF is your problem with Q? He’s showed more NBA skills than Metu in a shorter amount of time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The ratings were always expected to be good because he's a high floor player and it's safe to call it good. It has always been about whether Devin would be a player to raise the team's ceiling-- something that isn't 100% clear right now.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    WTF is your problem with Q? He’s showed more NBA skills than Metu in a shorter amount of time.
    Please don’t set the bar so high.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Please don’t set the bar so high.
    Q is an example of the Spurs showing what direction they're headed in as far as roster construction.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Jones does become the backup point guard, which allows us to play Derrick and Dejounte together in the starting lineup, then this draft was an A+. Got to see the old man put his pet out to pastor first though

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thanks for putting all that together. I think someone already said it - saved me a load of time.

I don't see how you could get too upset at this draft, picking 11 and 41. To me it's all about how they fit into a plan, or if they were just sort of BPA. I'm ready for a real youth movement. Trade some players, get some picks, and especially get a better pick in next year's stronger class.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Jones does become the backup point guard, which allows us to play Derrick and Dejounte together in the starting lineup, then this draft was an A+. Got to see the old man put his pet out to pastor first though

If Beli and Forbes are closing games this season, you need to start watching Unsolved Mysteries for strange disappearances. I just might snap.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Beli and Forbes are closing games this season, you need to start watching Unsolved Mysteries for strange disappearances. I just might snap.
    Lol, I hear that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My ing problem is not with Q but someones got to go right? Can’t say Jones is a great pick then turn around and he’s 4 on the depth chart. Can’t create pt for everyone. At least meaningful pt.

I agree... Metu has to go too but only cuz he sucks. Q is fairly decent but there’s just 0 room for another guard.

Govt, stay away!
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My ing problem is not with Q but someones got to go right? Can’t say Jones is a great pick then turn around and he’s 4 on the depth chart. Can’t create pt for everyone. At least meaningful pt.

I agree... Metu has to go too but only cuz he sucks. Q is fairly decent but there’s just 0 room for another guard.
    white Walker Murray weatherspoon Jones are the guards. 5 guys for 4 spots. Not insane at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    white Walker Murray weatherspoon Jones are the guards. 5 guys for 4 spots. Not insane at all.
    What about Mills?

Thread Information