Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean, Q can play SG too. It's the position he played in Austin - there was always a lead guard he played with.

But the question remains as to how? Unless Lonnie goes, there's no minutes available for this guy to be a permanent fixture.
    he gone. and i definitely dont mean lonnie.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he gone. and i definitely dont mean lonnie.
    One thing for certain is that the Spurs seemed to have planned ahead in regards to guard depth. If Lonnie had not worked out (in fact, that's still up in the air) in terms of contract negotiations or simply that if he was needed to be included in a trade they like, then Q would be right there to fill his spot in a very cost effective move. It's not like it's a a tall order for Q to replace Lonnie, at least currently. It's Lonnie's perceived ceiling that Q will never meet, but it's Lonnie's current production that Q can.

(In the same manner the Spurs planned for Mills' departure by drafting Tre)
    Last edited by Dejounte; 03-16-2021 at 02:49 PM.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was always well-built, but this offseason he grew some insane mass. It's been a personal theory of mine that adding so much muscle so quickly, kind of displaced his game a bit, which explains his early shooting woes in the season. Now, he's been shooting considerably better (I haven't checked month-to-month percentages, just my eye test, would be nice to see some stats on this though) and seems to be "growing into" his body. People forget he's really young still... Manu was 3 years older as a rookie. Apples to oranges, I know, I don't have those expectations for Lonnie, but it's still worth mentioning.

I'm all alone on Lonnie Island at the moment, but ST will catch on soon enough. He's a year away.
    Here's a link to Lonnie's splits this season.
    https://www.basketball-reference.com...01/splits/2021

The strange one to me is that Lonnie shoots .295 from three in wins and .427 in losses, on roughly equal attempts per game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One thing for certain is that the Spurs seemed to have planned ahead in regards to guard depth. If Lonnie had not worked out (in fact, that's still up in the air) in terms of contract negotiations or simply that if he was needed to be included in a trade they like, then Q would be right there to fill his spot in a very cost effective move. It's not like it's a a tall order for Q to replace Lonnie, at least currently. It's Lonnie's perceived ceiling that Q will never meet, but it's Lonnie's current production that Q can.

Same with Gay/Aldridge with Luka. Or Demar with Devin. PATFO really did solid with their picks.

But Tre and Devin are just superb picks. They shouldn't be even cracking the rotation until next year, well Devin is 11th, but still showing he could be good enough to start.

Remember Cherokee Parks The Truth #6's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

A person who does things they didn't normally do before is a sign that there was an influential figure involved. It may be that things we don't see on the court happen off the court.
    And hopefully that is exactly the case. Lonnie could really make a leap next year.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Q for Lonnie is this serious ? imo there is a world between them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Q for Lonnie is this serious ? imo there is a world between them.
    His overall production this year. Yes, I'm serious. There's been so many games where he provided nothing on the court. It won't be hard to replace that version of Lonnie.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    His overall production this year. Yes, I'm serious. There's been so many games where he provided nothing on the court. It won't be hard to replace that version of Lonnie.
    there is two things for me, the first is that he is better during last games and the second is that his ceilling is for sure way higher than Q celling. It's not just about potential, there are not same kind of player.

If lonnie is gone, you need a way better player than Q, a guy like Vassell for example but not Q.

And last it's his second year of action, maybe the first where he is playing some major minutes, let the guy progress and he will be something.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    there is two things for me, the first is that he is better during last games and the second is that his ceilling is for sure way higher than Q celling. It's not just about potential, there are not same kind of player.

If lonnie is gone, you need a way better player than Q, a guy like Vassell for example but not Q.

And last it's his second year of action, maybe the first where he is playing some major minutes, let the guy progress and he will be something.
    Well, yeah. That's what I said bro. "Q won't meet Lonnie's perceived potential" in the original post. And my whole premise centers on the idea that Vassell takes all the minutes and Lonnie/Q would be the fourth guard behind Vassell, White, Murray.

Born Slippy
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lonnie had a great game last night, decision making wise. He was passing and calling his own numbers and not committing ticky-tack fouls. I always see him asking questions. I think the game is slowing down on him. I was a big fan, then I got frustrated with his deferring, but Lonnie is winning me back. Lonnie, Luka, and Vassell improving next year would be great.
    He looking comfortable. Knows when to slow it down, read what the defence is giving. Big difference from 2weeks
    ago when i complained about the overpassing.

Coming off the bench , seemed to kickstart that trend but running plays for him certainly helps. Glad to see. Need to see 4 full quarters

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah I agree with Dejounte if Walker was a bust you would have Q maybe get his minutes but like you said definitely more upside with Walker. I am still trying to stay away from busting on Walker as he was drafted with the word "Potential" and I understand those picks take more time to develop. Also, DJ ability to turn the corner when everyone was ready to ditch him shows we need to be a little more patient with draft picks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah I agree with Dejounte if Walker was a bust you would have Q maybe get his minutes but like you said definitely more upside with Walker. I am still trying to stay away from busting on Walker as he was drafted with the word "Potential" and I understand those picks take more time to develop. Also, DJ ability to turn the corner when everyone was ready to ditch him shows we need to be a little more patient with draft picks.
    Yeah, and it really doesn't hinge on just Walker being a bust either. If you could get a really important piece by HAVING to trade Lonnie, then you can live with the result of Lonnie living up to his potential on another team.

For example, we trade Lonnie for Player X
    Q takes Lonnie's current role (4th or 5th guard)
    Player X does great for the Spurs
    Lonnie explodes on another team

You live with that result because
    Q + Player X > Lonnie
    (Provided Lonnie's explosion isn't a top 10 historical NBA player)

These are all calculated risks.
    You lose and you gain.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Here's a link to Lonnie's splits this season.
    https://www.basketball-reference.com...01/splits/2021

The strange one to me is that Lonnie shoots .295 from three in wins and .427 in losses, on roughly equal attempts per game.
    Interesting stat to point out, but right now, I'm not putting any weight on it. Lonnie played a LOT of games earlier in the season with an injury in his shooting hand (he was out a couple of games IIRC, and when he did come back, played multiple games with a wrapped up hand, which also can't be good for shooting, and coincided with a particularly bad shooting period). If that stat carries on into next season, it'd definitely be worrisome, something like DeMar's on/off numbers in regards to the rest of the team. But right now, and especially given the teams' fluctuations throughout the year and Lonnie's change in role multiple times, there's just too much noise to draw conclusions.

I seem to read that the stats support that he's been shooting better lately. Hopefully he can keep it up - having a solid 3pt shot will guarantee him a spot in the rotation and maybe SL, while he works on the rest of his game.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting stat to point out, but right now, I'm not putting any weight on it. Lonnie played a LOT of games earlier in the season with an injury in his shooting hand (he was out a couple of games IIRC, and when he did come back, played multiple games with a wrapped up hand, which also can't be good for shooting, and coincided with a particularly bad shooting period). If that stat carries on into next season, it'd definitely be worrisome, something like DeMar's on/off numbers in regards to the rest of the team. But right now, and especially given the teams' fluctuations throughout the year and Lonnie's change in role multiple times, there's just too much noise to draw conclusions.

I seem to read that the stats support that he's been shooting better lately. Hopefully he can keep it up - having a solid 3pt shot will guarantee him a spot in the rotation and maybe SL, while he works on the rest of his game.
    Yeah, I just thought the stat was weird, not indicative of anything. Players will generally have better shooting splits in wins than losses so that one stuck out to me.

I do appreciate what you, Dejounte, and others bring to the table here. Your point about Lonnie's injury is something I didn't know; I watch the games but I usually pay more attention to stats, which need context like you provided. I try not to post any hot takes because I'm just plain too uninformed to really back them up, and I'm not usually the type to say y stuff with nothing to back it up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I just thought the stat was weird, not indicative of anything. Players will generally have better shooting splits in wins than losses so that one stuck out to me.

I do appreciate what you, Dejounte, and others bring to the table here. Your point about Lonnie's injury is something I didn't know; I watch the games but I usually pay more attention to stats, which need context like you provided. I try not to post any hot takes because I'm just plain too uninformed to really back them up, and I'm not usually the type to say y stuff with nothing to back it up.
    Thanks, man, always good to see people appreciate the work. To be fair, Dejounte's the far better poster, he really puts a lot more thought into roster construction (and a crazy level of analysis on the financials of things, I couldn't begin to make some of the quality threads he's put on here). Like or hate the takes, you gotta appreciate the hard work... Not everyone does. But I'll gladly chime in and add context where I can, since most people are overly fixated on stats (or the complete opposite, completely disregarding stats, as if most of them weren't literal recollections of stuff that's already happening on the court).

I've been talking about Lonnie a lot lately, since everyone's unfairly out for his head after an up-and-down season. If you have to take anything away, take this: he's a year away, for sure. The biggest piece of context that nobody ever talks about in regards to this season, is just how short last off-season was. Less than 6 weeks if I'm not mistaken, and not even "normal" off-weeks, but COVID protocol-filled ones. Most players were hindered in their training and game-development routines, and it was no surprise to me to see multiple players coming in out of shape or starting off slowly (ahem, LMA and Poeltl), and most players adding little of note to their games (Keldon is actually a good example of this, Lonnie as well). Just little time to train. I expect both of them to make a much bigger jump this off-season, given their high work ethics.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Timvp and this board a few weeks ago : “Lyles is a starter”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Devin's doesn't have the body nor the rebounding ability. He is suited right now as a 2 or 3.
    sadly cannot disagree here ...

near awake, semi-coherent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The power forward that's not currently being played is Luka Samanic and he's much better than Metu.
    Would like to see more Luka as well. Not sure why pop isn't giving him more burn he seems pretty decent this year when he gets minutes, also when developing players if they get some burn you can use it to provide coaching opportunities. Even so other than Lyles, who is about to burn out if the league as a lot of missed potential, and Luka they don't have another 4 on the roster. (Gay is a 2/3 who is his old age post injury isoved down a slot and a half and Keldon is a 3 who is filling in cause they are thin at that spot

Thread Information