Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ppl are just expecting him to hang it up bec. he's a geriatric (who can still contribute despite this) & bec. there's no way in we're ringing any time soon due to a changing of the guard. But, , I love seeing him out there. Pretty sure every Spur's fan does.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I hope he resigns for one more year tbh... team will need his leadership especially with TP being out for a long time. He is still capable of a good 15 mn per game off the bench tbh...
    if they keep having him back for "one more year" he's gonna play until he's 50. Let him retire. he has nothing to prove. I see a lot of guys here are young and doesn't know how a 40 year old body feels after playing a game of full court basketball. And he's playing with the best players in the world.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unless I missed something , they haven't renounced him yet - even with his massive cap hold. If he was seriously demanding something like $14M again, I would think even the Spurs would move on. To me, that says he really hasn't decided if he's coming back or not, and he's waiting to see how the roster develops. The Spurs haven't needed to renounce yet, so they're standing pat. Everybody saves face, everybody looks good.

I don't know what really happened last year, but there's not a team in the league who would offer Manu anything like $14M this year. He still has value, but not that much.
    Teams are stupid. Do you see what was offered to JJ Rd and Otto Porter?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wasn't Manu the best player against the Warriors?
    no

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they decide to stay over the cap and keep Manu's cap hold then they can pay him whatever he wants up to the tax line, it won't matter, except for Holt's pockets.
    That's true. But if he is on the team, Pop is likely to use him (and all "old" guys) rather than develop the young guys. Based on the "moves" the Spurs have made so far this off-season, developing young guys is the only way to go this season that makes any sense.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Playing with Ginobili in 2k17, is like watching him in real life. Lol Sometimes he's good, an other times he's ty!!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He needs to retire. I know people are going to say the Spurs need his leadership but it's time for this team to grow up without him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't the 76ers offer him 16m last year?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't the 76ers offer him 16m last year?
    Yes - I still think he could get lucrative 1-year offers from teams wanting some leadership too. Despite his level of play being reduced.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    [QUOTE=Prose;9072707]
    “If I had already made up my mind,” he wrote, “I would have burst into tears right there.”

i don't think spurs fans were so sentimental bc they WANT him to retire. its the possibility of seeing him play his last game that got us all choked up...first tim, then tony goes down, and manu was all of a sudden the last man standing. And what made it even more special is the heart he showed with his play on the floor.
    I wasn't there that night but Im not gonna lie, I teared up a little. I didn't even do that when Tim called it quits. I felt proud of the fans for showing him so much love. SA Fans get on for being too quiet and leaving games early but on that night, losing the last game of a sweep, it was awesome to hear the fans ignoring the cir stances and voicing their appreciation. The chanting, singing the Ole song...it brought back all the memories of him in his prime. I have no idea how he didn't get emotional whether he was retiring or not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's true. But if he is on the team, Pop is likely to use him (and all "old" guys) rather than develop the young guys. Based on the "moves" the Spurs have made so far this off-season, developing young guys is the only way to go this season that makes any sense.
    I don't think that will be the case this year. Our best contributors will be the younger players. I hope he comes back and by some miracle, goes out a champ. G.S.. and Steve Kerr. What they are doing is nothing we haven't seen before - just 4 years ago when the Spurs won back to back les against the Heat. That's right, I said it.

Pop and the rest of the Spurs' coaching staff run circles around those clowns. Just gotta have the guns to prove it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    [QUOTE=tmtcsc;9074188]

I wasn't there that night but Im not gonna lie, I teared up a little. I didn't even do that when Tim called it quits. I felt proud of the fans for showing him so much love. SA Fans get on for being too quiet and leaving games early but on that night, losing the last game of a sweep, it was awesome to hear the fans ignoring the cir stances and voicing their appreciation. The chanting, singing the Ole song...it brought back all the memories of him in his prime. I have no idea how he didn't get emotional whether he was retiring or not.
    Yeah, I can definitely see both sides of it.

The cheering was definitely in anticipation of him retiring, because we didn't know (and we still don't). I don't think the crowd was willing Manu towards retirement, but they also weren't going to miss an opportunity to give him a proper farewell (which is something Timmy didn't really get, at least from the AT&T crowd).

We just didn't know whether that was the last time we would see #20 on the floor. It's hard not to get emotional. And I hope Manu understands that.

That being said, the way he reacted didn't look to me like a guy who was ready to retire. He soaked in the moment, for sure...but he wasn't giving the heartfelt waves and goodbyes of someone who was leaving the game for the last time. In that moment, I think he secretly expected he would be back...so I wouldn't be surprised to see him return this season.

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    You'd rather the Spurs second best playoff performer retire over a scoreless going scrub?

This is why Trump won. Adios, amigo.
    Pretty sure he wants the Spurs' second-best playoff performer back.

Addressing the "Big 3" myth:

Spurs won three les in five years from 2003-2007. Here's the playoff stats for all the Spurs rotation players in that time period:

Tim and Manu are the only two players with:

20+ PER
    6+ BPM
    10+ win shares
    .200+ WS/48(DRob also qualifies for this but he only played in 2003)

These two guys were dominant - by far the two best players on the team. They were pretty much the Shaq/Kobe of the Spurs. Everybody else was a role player. No idea where the big three nonsense came from. Duncan and Manu were a Big Two back then.

Corpus Christi Spurs Fan Phenomanul's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He doesn't want to see the facts...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm thinking Manu won't sign up to be on this teAm.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu to the Warriors tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu to the Warriors tbh.
    Wouldn't even mind, tbh. I've been hard on him for jerking around the Spurs every off-season, but he still comes back every year and plays hard, nonetheless....For nothing. He deserves a ring before he hangs it up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think that will be the case this year. Our best contributors will be the younger players. I hope he comes back and by some miracle, goes out a champ. G.S.. and Steve Kerr. What they are doing is nothing we haven't seen before - just 4 years ago when the Spurs won back to back les against the Heat. That's right, I said it.

Pop and the rest of the Spurs' coaching staff run circles around those clowns. Just gotta have the guns to prove it.
    I hope you are right in your prediction tmtcsc... as well as the other optimistic prognosis.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Nice to read a post like this! yeah let's shock the world and the bought and sold GSW.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wouldn't even mind, tbh. I've been hard on him for jerking around the Spurs every off-season, but he still comes back every year and plays hard, nonetheless....For nothing. He deserves a ring before he hangs it up.
    14m is hardly "nothing".

Fans seem to overlook the "job" aspect of the NBA players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In regards to rings, obviously...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rather Parker retire and have Manu back.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One way or another dude needs to decide. Think it's mentally messing with FO's decision making.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One way or another dude needs to decide. Think it's mentally messing with FO's decision making.
    Why? I don't think the Spurs are building their roster based on Manu...

Thread Information