MMA Fighting - How many of you guys train at a gym in boxing, grappling and clinch? Any of you do collegiate wrestling? Folk wrestling in high school? Martial arts other than Mixed Martial Arts? Belong to a fight club?

Just curious.

Post Count
    Wrestled in High School then quit because it was the same season as basketball.

PRICELESS SPURS FAN polandprzem's Avatar
    Post Count
    I fought my friend once

Thank God I'm a country boy! djohn14's Avatar
    Post Count
    I put on a mean armbar to a buddy of mine....felt his arm start to pop...got scared an d let go!

took bjj at jeff joslins dads gym for a month

i train in a boxing gym and have been for over a year now. Im considering joining a Ju-jitsu camp here in Austin.

Seeking the quiet mind desflood's Avatar
    Post Count
    Nah. Going to put one son into Judo and the other into wrestling and live vicariously through them.

Nah. Going to put one son into Judo and the other into wrestling and live vicariously through them.
    If you want I can teach you anything I learn .

Post Count
    I've been wrestling since 3rd grade. now im a senior

Post Count
    I've been doing bjj and no-gi for a few years.

I’m retired (from martial arts that is) but I boxed in the Golden Gloves when in High School, then joined the Judo club in college. I’d been in a fight w/ a much bigger, guy when I was 17 and although I bloodied his nose, we ended up on the ground and he was about to put some hurt on me when the cops broke it up. I realized then (1980) that striking wasn’t any use when you’re on your back.

I competed on the Judo team throughout college then when I went in the Army, I trained w/ several martial artists in various striking arts where I picked up some things and I discovered how much bull was being taught as martial arts. I got out and moved to a small town where the only option was a Kempo club who trained at the YMCA. Every Tues. night we had “Fight night” where we wore Chuck Norris gloves, a cup and mouthpiece and went “no-holds barred”. I learned to blend my grappling skills w/ striking and developed something very similar to what is now seen in MMA. This was in the early 90’s so when I first saw Royce Gracie fight in the early UFCs, I felt like my own fighting philosophy was vindicated.

Later, I earned another black belt in a BJJ club and fought in “school” tournaments until injuries caused me to give it up. MMA has evolved in the last several yrs. into a sport just like Judo and TKD did and while it’s a better spectator sport due to the increased striking and rounds, it’s not as close to a true fight as it was when it started but it’s the closest “art” to it.

Post Count
    Nice story Geezerballer, welcome to the forum..

Post Count
    wing chun kung fu

I’m retired (from martial arts that is) but I boxed in the Golden Gloves when in High School, then joined the Judo club in college. I’d been in a fight w/ a much bigger, guy when I was 17 and although I bloodied his nose, we ended up on the ground and he was about to put some hurt on me when the cops broke it up. I realized then (1980) that striking wasn’t any use when you’re on your back.

I competed on the Judo team throughout college then when I went in the Army, I trained w/ several martial artists in various striking arts where I picked up some things and I discovered how much bull was being taught as martial arts. I got out and moved to a small town where the only option was a Kempo club who trained at the YMCA. Every Tues. night we had “Fight night” where we wore Chuck Norris gloves, a cup and mouthpiece and went “no-holds barred”. I learned to blend my grappling skills w/ striking and developed something very similar to what is now seen in MMA. This was in the early 90’s so when I first saw Royce Gracie fight in the early UFCs, I felt like my own fighting philosophy was vindicated.

Later, I earned another black belt in a BJJ club and fought in “school” tournaments until injuries caused me to give it up. MMA has evolved in the last several yrs. into a sport just like Judo and TKD did and while it’s a better spectator sport due to the increased striking and rounds, it’s not as close to a true fight as it was when it started but it’s the closest “art” to it.
    nice read

3 stars and a sun
    Post Count
    I used to train in a fight club here that competes in the Philippine version of UFC.

Sadly, it's been more than a year now since I last hit the bags, rolled in the mat and experienced some pain.

Inthe land of audiophiles angelbelow's Avatar
    Post Count
    no professional training but i like to watch instructional videos. also thinking about joining a Ju-jitsu gym.

Thread Information