Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Congrats Suns fans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That’s what you get for not giving a max to Ayton.

My Team
    Phoenix Suns
    Post Count
    Our prayers have been answered.

What a great day.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

Congrats Suns fans.
    Hope not

A neverending cycle Trainwreck2100's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He'll get a crazy ROI regardless, but damn hopefully its hard evidence and not bull he said she said

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This. Sarver has been a blessing to the rest of the West for a long time.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    True. How bad would the 2000s have sucked if he kept Joe Johnson and drafted Iguodala instead of being cheap both times?

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    trading away Joe Johnson and Quentin Richardson (best 3pt shooter in the league at the time) for peanuts and bits of rubbish when the Suns could have easily had a dynasty and multiple championship rings.

Double at Sarver for trading Marion, the energy glue guy that made the Suns unique, for the slowest player in the entire NBA when your point guard is Nash and you're trying to win a le with run and gun

My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    This is a travesty. I'm appalled. Another great man seeing his name being dragged through the mud over false allegations.

Hold on Robert. Don't let them break you.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    trading away Joe Johnson and Quentin Richardson (best 3pt shooter in the league at the time) for peanuts and bits of rubbish when the Suns could have easily had a dynasty and multiple championship rings.

Double at Sarver for trading Marion, the energy glue guy that made the Suns unique, for the slowest player in the entire NBA when your point guard is Nash and you're trying to win a le with run and gun
    I think he outright sold two decent draft picks earlier in the decade, didn't he?

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Holy , the ticket sales rep I know from back when my mom had season tickets (10+ years ago) resigned and his last day was today.

That can’t be a coincidence, I’ll bet this story is big.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Holy , the ticket sales rep I know from back when my mom had season tickets (10+ years ago) resigned and his last day was today.

That can’t be a coincidence, I’ll bet this story is big.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CULLY!! WHEEL YOUR FAT ASS IN HERE!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think he outright sold two decent draft picks earlier in the decade, didn't he?
    I don't remember. I know they had a compe ive team with Marbury, Hardaway, Johnson, Marion, Amare that gave the Spurs fits. Then he broke up that good team for an even better one and a revolutionary one at that when signing Nash and Q-Rich. The Nash Suns should have won multiple les. Sarver ed it up because he was a cheapass who didn't know just how good he had it in '04-05 and should have brought that band back together with some depth upgrades instead of blowing it up nerfing their historically great offense trying to go heavier on defense overreacting to losing the '05 WCF to the Spurs. That '05 Suns team was comparable to the '14-16 Warriors squads (pre Durant) and were fun to watch because Nash was overall more skilled and more likeable than Curry. It's too bad we only got to watch them for one year. Giving up JJ and Q-Rich for the likes of Raja Bell and Kurt Thomas, were MAJOR downgrades. And all of that was well before the "Shaqtus" fiasco, don't even get me started on that blunder

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    I don't remember. I know they had a compe ive team with Marbury, Hardaway, Johnson, Marion, Amare that gave the Spurs fits. Then he broke up that good team for an even better one and a revolutionary one at that when signing Nash and Q-Rich. The Nash Suns should have won multiple les. Sarver ed it up because he was a cheapass who didn't know just how good he had it in '04-05 and should have brought that band back together with some depth upgrades instead of blowing it up nerfing their historically great offense trying to go heavier on defense overreacting to losing the '05 WCF to the Spurs. That '05 Suns team was comparable to the '14-16 Warriors squads (pre Durant) and were fun to watch because Nash was overall more skilled and more likeable than Curry. It's too bad we only got to watch them for one year. Giving up JJ and Q-Rich for the likes of Raja Bell and Kurt Thomas, were MAJOR downgrades. And all of that was well before the "Shaqtus" fiasco, don't even get me started on that blunder
    Breaking up the Marbury team was actually smart but that was before Sarver became owner.

Selling the Iguodala pick, not giving JJ the very reasonable extension he wanted before his 04-05 breakout season & making Dantoni a coach/GM instead of hiring a real GM to replace Colangelo were the 3 biggest ups that come to mind but there were a lot more.

Q Rich was an inefficient chucker and getting rid of him wasn’t financially motivated at all. If they simply traded him for Thomas, signed Raja Bell as a FA the way they did and also kept JJ they’d have won at least one le. If they actually drafted Iggy maybe even in >1 but Amare’s health likely prevents them from having extended success.

adolis is altuve’s father monosylab1k's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Maybe one day Mavs fans will see this happen to Mark Cuban.

Congrats Will Hunting, Jeremy, Xylus, and all other Suns fans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Breaking up the Marbury team was actually smart but that was before Sarver became owner.

Selling the Iguodala pick, not giving JJ the very reasonable extension he wanted before his 04-05 breakout season & making Dantoni a coach/GM instead of hiring a real GM to replace Colangelo were the 3 biggest ups that come to mind but there were a lot more.

Q Rich was an inefficient chucker and getting rid of him wasn’t financially motivated at all. If they simply traded him for Thomas, signed Raja Bell as a FA the way they did and also kept JJ they’d have won at least one le. If they actually drafted Iggy maybe even in >1 but Amare’s health likely prevents them from having extended success.
    Inefficient chucker? Q-Rich led the league both in 3 point attempts AND 3 point percentage in his lone Phoenix season. True, his numbers were inefficient in his Clippers years and post-Phoenix years, but that's what you're gonna get when you're playing with crappy surrounding talent and no Steve Nash.

Kurt Thomas was a progress stopper. He was a tweener that probably wouldn't be in the league in today's NBA. Slow, virtually no offensive game except finishing soft layups at the rim or shooting inefficent 15 foot jumpers. No three point game and he was traded for specifically to guard Tim Duncan and no other reason IMO. He was a defensive liability against smaller, quicker lineups and was completely useless against other big guys like Nowitzki because of Nowitzki's range, relative speed for position and knack for drawing bogus fouls from mid range.

I 100% agree with you on JJ, he was not Iso Joe in Phoenix, he was an excellent spot up shooter and a great secondary playmaker option when the Nash offense broke down and JJ was the only other guy on the roster who could truly create for himself (Barbosa to some extent too, but he was a backup for a reason).

Selling the 2004 premium draft pick was stupid, but I believe it was Luol Deng and not Iguodala (IIRC). Luol Deng was OK, never anything special. Iguodala on the other hand would have been the perfect replacement for aging Penny Hardaway if they had kept the Marbury system and team intact, that was a tough hard-nosed, physical, "in your face" kind of gritty team. But I don't think Iguodala would have been a great fit in Nash/D'Antoni's finesse SSOL offense. He was never a good enough shooter or scorer. He would have basically been another Marion or Marion lite, and the team didn't need two Marion's. They needed 3 and D. They could have taken someone else besides Iggy I suppose. Al Jefferson (if they wanted to go big), JR Smith, Jameer Nelson, and Kevin Martin were all still on the board at the time... all would have been better fits for the SSOL Suns offense than Iguodala or Deng.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Inefficient chucker? Q-Rich led the league both in 3 point attempts AND 3 point percentage in his lone Phoenix season. True, his numbers were inefficient in his Clippers years and post-Phoenix years, but that's what you're gonna get when you're playing with crappy surrounding talent and no Steve Nash.

Kurt Thomas was a progress stopper. He was a tweener that probably wouldn't be in the league in today's NBA. Slow, virtually no offensive game except finishing soft layups at the rim or shooting inefficent 15 foot jumpers. No three point game and he was traded for specifically to guard Tim Duncan and no other reason IMO. He was a defensive liability against smaller, quicker lineups and was completely useless against other big guys like Nowitzki because of Nowitzki's range, relative speed for position and knack for drawing bogus fouls from mid range.

I 100% agree with you on JJ, he was not Iso Joe in Phoenix, he was an excellent spot up shooter and a great secondary playmaker option when the Nash offense broke down and JJ was the only other guy on the roster who could truly create for himself (Barbosa to some extent too, but he was a backup for a reason).

Selling the 2004 premium draft pick was stupid, but I believe it was Luol Deng and not Iguodala (IIRC). Luol Deng was OK, never anything special. Iguodala on the other hand would have been the perfect replacement for aging Penny Hardaway if they had kept the Marbury system and team intact, that was a tough hard-nosed, physical, "in your face" kind of gritty team. But I don't think Iguodala would have been a great fit in Nash/D'Antoni's finesse SSOL offense. He was never a good enough shooter or scorer. He would have basically been another Marion or Marion lite, and the team didn't need two Marion's. They needed 3 and D. They could have taken someone else besides Iggy I suppose. Al Jefferson (if they wanted to go big), JR Smith, Jameer Nelson, and Kevin Martin were all still on the board at the time... all would have been better fits for the SSOL Suns offense than Iguodala or Deng.
    You’re just making stuff up about Q Rich. He didn’t even lead the Suns in 3 point percentage that year. JJ and Nash were both better in that respect.

The premium pick was used by Chicago to take Deng but the Suns would have taken Iguodala if they kept the pick.

That Marbury team overachieved in one playoff series against the Spurs (that they still lost) and outside of that was a total failure. Idk why you’re hyping it up as anything special

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is Sarver the chicken dance idiot that tried to mock us, only to end up eating crow?

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    Is Sarver the chicken dance idiot that tried to mock us, only to end up eating crow?
    Yes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still think, even as a Spurs fan, the Suns were hosed in '07. By an archaic selective "letter of the law" rule that could have easily been relaxed considering it was the pivotal game of a playoff series. Amare... AND Boris Diaw suspended for Game 5, ridiculous. If it was the Lakers, it never would have been a suspension. Steph Curry didn't get suspended for Game 7 after throwing his mouthpiece into the Cleveland stands in Game 6, which is, by the letter of a the law, a minimum two-game suspension (see: Brad Miller in Sacramento in 2005).

Selective enforcement is what we all hated about David Stern and his butt-buddy Stu Jackson.

Mike Bibby gets brutally elbowed in the mouth by Kobe trying to guard an inbounds pass? No offensive foul... instead Kobe gets the ball and gets free throws and the Kings lose by 3. Instead, by the letter of the rule, Bibby should have been shooting 2 free throws with possession for a flagrant-1 against Kobe. Bibby was an 88% free throw shooter. Sacramento would have been up 1 with possession, and in the driver's seat to take the game, which would have meant the series and likely smashing the Nets in the Finals and winning the championship. But David Stern's beloved Lakers of course, always getting the benefit of the doubt.

I would have rather had the Spurs ring in 05 and 06 and the Suns in 07. The Dallas Ponies didn't deserve to win that series in '06. The Manu foul was a questionable call, but egregious was Tim Duncan getting raked across the arm on the last second of regulation and not getting free throws; he likely would have only needed to make one to win. Similar for Manu getting raked on the arm by Ray Allen near the end of OT in transition, trailing by one. Manu making both free throws doesn't cinch the game but it puts the Spurs in the driver's seat.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You’re just making stuff up about Q Rich. He didn’t even lead the Suns in 3 point percentage that year. JJ and Nash were both better in that respect.

The premium pick was used by Chicago to take Deng but the Suns would have taken Iguodala if they kept the pick.

That Marbury team overachieved in one playoff series against the Spurs (that they still lost) and outside of that was a total failure. Idk why you’re hyping it up as anything special
    Okay even if you lose Q Rich you still have to keep JJ and replace Q Rich in the starting lineup. I'm not sure if someone like Iggy is a great fit. Sure, his position is small forward, but do you really want Marion and Iggy on the court at the same time? They duplicate one another. Sure, their defense would improve, but the offense? If I'm coaching against them I pack the paint, stop Amare, stop Nash's drives and force Marion and Iggy to hit threes all day to beat me. I don't believe either one of them ever eclipsed 35%. Sort of like what Golden State did to "Trick-or-Treat" Tony Allen against Memphis in 2015.

The Marbury team was hit or miss offensively, but was physical and played with high energy and an edge. They were likely the only team in the NBA that could have taken down the Spurs in 2003. Just matchups. Marbury was a nightmare matchup for Parker who hadn't quite figured out how to play defense against a pure scoring point guard like Marbury, or, (a much later prototype, Russell Westbrook). Ginobili was a rookie 6th man and just learning to play defense, and the Spurs needed two defensive players (Bowen and Jackson) in most of the type to stop both Hardaway and JJ. Marion was young and athletic, hit or miss on offense but a very good overall player that gave the Spurs fits. The Suns had the big bodies to match up with Duncan while keeping Amare fresh on offense. Frank Johnson was an excellent defensive coach. That team had something, but they weren't consistent. However, they were consistent against the Spurs.... they had beaten the Spurs 3-1 in the regular season series in '03 (only team in the entire West to beat the Spurs in the regular season series that year) with the only 1 Spurs victory beating a hard fought home OT win. Marbury was a bona fide Spur killer. The Suns nearly went up 2-0 in the series on the road which would have been almost impossible for the Spurs to overcome, but, choked away a pretty sizeable 4th quarter lead in Game 2... Pop benched TP, Manu and Duncan hit some big shots, and the Spurs came back and won improbably, tying the series at 1-1; won game 3 in Phoenix pretty handily, choked away game 4, almost choked away game 5, and won a very hard fought game 6 with a bunch of Jackson and Manu threes carrying the day.

That Marbury Suns team was a very difficult matchup for the Spurs. However, at some point Marbury didn't want to be there; he was traded the next year and Marbury and Hardaway actually led the Knicks to their only playoff berth in the '00s in 2004. But the opportunity for the Suns to land Steve Nash and transform their offense into a revolutionary NBA offense was absolutely worth it, and D'Antoni was the perfect coach for that new system. They would have beaten any other team in the playoffs besides the Spurs in 2005. They should have kept that core together, including JJ (hmmm.... I wonder why the Suns lost in 2005? Could it be because JJ, not only a great scorer but an above average defender, was missing or playing below 50% that series with the eye injury?), and instead found a swingman who could shoot the lights out, score and play defense. Raja Bell would have been a nice backup, but wasn't good enough on offense to start. I don't however believe, even though Iggy was a better player overall than Q-Rich, that Iggy over Q-Rich would have been an upgrade for the Nash-JJ-Marion-Amare Suns.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still think, even as a Spurs fan, the Suns were hosed in '07. By an archaic selective "letter of the law" rule that could have easily been relaxed considering it was the pivotal game of a playoff series. Amare... AND Boris Diaw suspended for Game 5, ridiculous. If it was the Lakers, it never would have been a suspension. Steph Curry didn't get suspended for Game 7 after throwing his mouthpiece into the Cleveland stands in Game 6, which is, by the letter of a the law, a minimum two-game suspension (see: Brad Miller in Sacramento in 2005).

Selective enforcement is what we all hated about David Stern and his butt-buddy Stu Jackson.

Mike Bibby gets brutally elbowed in the mouth by Kobe trying to guard an inbounds pass? No offensive foul... instead Kobe gets the ball and gets free throws and the Kings lose by 3. Instead, by the letter of the rule, Bibby should have been shooting 2 free throws with possession for a flagrant-1 against Kobe. Bibby was an 88% free throw shooter. Sacramento would have been up 1 with possession, and in the driver's seat to take the game, which would have meant the series and likely smashing the Nets in the Finals and winning the championship. But David Stern's beloved Lakers of course, always getting the benefit of the doubt.

I would have rather had the Spurs ring in 05 and 06 and the Suns in 07. The Dallas Ponies didn't deserve to win that series in '06. The Manu foul was a questionable call, but egregious was Tim Duncan getting raked across the arm on the last second of regulation and not getting free throws; he likely would have only needed to make one to win. Similar for Manu getting raked on the arm by Ray Allen near the end of OT in transition, trailing by one. Manu making both free throws doesn't cinch the game but it puts the Spurs in the driver's seat.
    they got hosed, but I don't care. We got hosed on 0.4. We got hosed when they fouled Barry and no call. We got hosed when Duncan got ejected for laughing from the bench. We got hosed when Nephew got taken out by ZaZa and the league did nothing about it. We got hosed in the whole Bertans/Morris debacle.

So, when we come out on the good side of things, I feel no remorse. I take it and celebrate it, cause I know that some serious BS is right around the corner.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    they got hosed, but I don't care. We got hosed on 0.4. We got hosed when they fouled Barry and no call. We got hosed when Duncan got ejected for laughing from the bench. We got hosed when Nephew got taken out by ZaZa and the league did nothing about it. We got hosed in the whole Bertans/Morris debacle.

So, when we come out on the good side of things, I feel no remorse. I take it and celebrate it, cause I know that some serious BS is right around the corner.
    I haven't followed basketball since 05/2017 and likely never will again. But ask me about anything from the 90s to 2016 about the NBA and the expert and former diehard in me comes out.

Thread Information