Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    got: "a contemptible or dislikable person." (Considered offensive.)

If you think the word " got" refers only to a sexual, you are mistaken.

got.

Also, by the way,

"usage: This term is usually used with disparaging intent and perceived as insulting. However, it is also used by sexuals as a positive term of self-reference."

So think of it as positive.
    Last edited by JeffDuncan; 11-19-2015 at 11:49 AM.

Wanted: Dead or Alive Cowboys_Wear_Spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You need to study reappropriation before you speak about things that you are seriously clueless about.
    Clueless about. So people calling each other N word and I am hearing and witnessing it everyday, I am some how clueless that I am witnessing firsthand these people really don't give a what something meant before and don't take offense in it anymore.

Same with got. A lot of people I know just use it as a word to call someone they don't like. It has no gay connotation whatsoever. It is just some people are too sensitive about words.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    got: "a contemptible or dislikable person." (Considered offensive.)

If you think the word " got" refers only to a sexual, you are mistaken.

got.

Also, by the way,

"usage: This term is usually used with disparaging intent and perceived as insulting. However, it is also used by sexuals as a positive term of self-reference."

So think of it as positive.
    Thank you for posting this. This is EXACTLY HOW most people I know who use this word imply it. It can mean gay in a harsher since. But that isn't the only meaning for the word got. Like I said, a super ultra jerk. To me, that is a got.

Sarah Palin is a Maverick freemeat's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "N" word. Seriously, black people use that word ALL THE TIME with each other. Guys I play basketball call each other that all the time. These guys took what was once offensive and made it a cool slang. Why, because "N" word doesn't apply any sort of action. It's just a word to identify someone as being black but being offensive about it.

That is what I am getting at got. Yeah, it's meant to be offensive. But it is just applying that you are gay, which if you are, why would it offend you. I believe it isn't something people should use in their everyday vocabulary, but at the same time, it isn't as offensive as other ways you can address gay people. IMO, it's one of the least offensive. IMO, people are just too sensitive nowadays.
    If you are calling a man who is sexual "gay," then you are stating a fact and labeling him as something that he would label himself. You are safe. No foul!

When you are calling a heterosexual man "gay," it is usually in the context of something meant as an insult. Example: you're talking with your heterosexual friend and he says he likes the movie 'The Devil Wears Prada,' so you call him "gay." He's not gay, because he is heterosexual, but you call him that as a sort of derogatory statement. Now, you're talking to your friend, so you're probably safe. He knows you're ing with him, and you're judgingly teasing him in a manner in which you will both find amusing.

Now, what would you call your heterosexual friend in the context of that conversation if you had a sexual friend, a gay man, also involved? Would you call the heterosexual friend "gay" as a way to mock him? You don't think that it would offend the friend who is sexual?

In regards to your experiences with black men calling each other the "n word," there is a reason that is acceptable for them but not for you. If you are not black and you call a black man a "******," you are conjuring up a long, dark, nasty history of racism, murder, abuse, rape, slavery, and general degradation perpetuated on a group of people based on the color of their skin. When a black man calls another black man "******," it conjurs up a history that may involve nothing more than the relationship between the two men, or the relationships between men who are grouped by their society because of the color of their skin. No black man ever strung another black man up by his neck because he was black, or because he was a "******." Got it?

This works the same way for races, genders, and religions of all kinds. Every person in a sort of "categorized" group has some sort of derogatory term used to label them. In many cases, the members of those group will use the term for each other. It is usually endearing in that context. Sometimes it's not.

If you are not black, you wouldn't walk into a group of black men and call any of them "******," because you know they will be offended by it. You may or may not understand why, but it doesn't change the fact that it is offensive to them.

You may be correct in saying that people may be just too sensitive nowadays, but it doesn't change the fact that those people you're referring to are sensitive.

Not all gay men may think the term " got" is offensive, but some of them do. That's the way it is.

If it wasn't so offensive, why would members of this forum use it to insult each other? The answer is that they use it to insult each other because it is offensive.

Yeah, it's meant to be offensive. But it is just applying that you are gay, which if you are, why would it offend you.
    So, " got' is offensive by your own admission. If you thought the person you directed the offense at was in fact gay, why wouldn't you just call him "gay"? The answer is because, in the context in which you use the offending word, you are not referring to your target's sexuality. You are using it as an insult. When you use a term as an insult, you are insulting.

You know that when you use the term, you are purposefully using it to be offensive. You cannot, in good conscience, then defend your use of the term as not offensive.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you can't express your idea or thought without a wall of text I have to assume you are a dumbass. Maybe a got too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Freemeat, I have never in my life called a straight man Gay. I'll say you are acting like a fruitcake. And yes, even straight men can act fruity w/o being Gay. Like Pee Wee Herman and such. I find it disturbing when men act more feminine than 90% of the Women out there. Really, there is something mentally wrong with you.

To me, and it seems like its the standard definition nowaday, gots are people who think they can act and conduct in any manner, no matter if it offends those around them. You know, complete assholes.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Replace the word re with got tbh.

Re might also be considered an "offensive" word by gots in general.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    gots are people who think they can act and conduct in any manner, no matter if it offends those around them.
    Everything that you've said thus far shows that you do not care whether or not you offend people around you.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Replace the word re with got tbh.

Re might also be considered an "offensive" word by gots in general.
    You do realize this is a comedy show in which the main character is being parodied for being a moron, yeah?

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You do realize this is a comedy show in which the main character is being parodied for being a moron, yeah?
    You do know if it was considered "offensive" it wouldn't be on national tv right? You got.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You do know if it was considered "offensive" it wouldn't be on national tv right? You got.
    That's not how that works. You fail to understand the joke in the video you posted.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everything that you've said thus far shows that you do not care whether or not you offend people around you.
    No. What I said is, I hardly use the word, when I use it, it doesn't mean a gay person whatsoever.

And it's just not me apparently, because the standard urban definition of got means exactly the way I use it.

The only offense taken would be that I use the word got in my vocabulary sparingly. And it doesn't matter what context I am using this word.

No matter how PC you are, you are going to offend someone. there are 3 billion Muslims in the world who would taken extreme offense on how we live are everyday lives and the language we use. But I am not purposely trying to offend them and going out of my way to do such. See what I mean.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tbh. I find gots kissing each other offensive but it's still all over television.
    Stop watching those shows Rob

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's not how that works. You fail to understand the joke in the video you posted.
    Like I've said before. If encountering the word got is one of the most offensive things to you, you should just get off the internet tbh.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stop watching those shows Rob
    Is the word offensive to you K...?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is the word offensive to you K...?
    Yes, it shows you are a moron each time you use it.

But I've used it. Once or twice, it's no big deal. But if used extensively without irony it is offensive. So yeah, moron.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No. What I said is, I hardly use the word, when I use it, it doesn't mean a gay person whatsoever.

And it's just not me apparently, because the standard urban definition of got means exactly the way I use it.

The only offense taken would be that I use the word got in my vocabulary sparingly. And it doesn't matter what context I am using this word.

No matter how PC you are, you are going to offend someone. there are 3 billion Muslims in the world who would taken extreme offense on how we live are everyday lives and the language we use. But I am not purposely trying to offend them and going out of my way to do such. See what I mean.
    Not calling people " got" isn't being PC. It's making the decision to not be an asshole.

Like I've said before. If encountering the word got is one of the most offensive things to you, you should just get off the internet tbh.
    This is the kind of at ude which begets racism, bigotry, and hate.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, it shows you are a moron each time you use it.

But I've used it. Once or twice, it's no big deal. But if used extensively without irony it is offensive. So yeah, moron.
    It's only fine to use it but on your terms right? Isn't that funny?

I'm sure the French would be all for using the word.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not calling people " got" isn't being PC. It's making the decision to not be an asshole.

Cause I said leave the internet if you can't stand the word got? got shouldn't even be any where near your "offensive" list tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

True. But seriously, I have only called a couple people gots to their face and believe me, they weren't remotely gay. It has mostly been on the basketball court. You know guys that undercut you, throw elbows, throw cheapshots and they do it to everyone. I reserve that word for the people I hold in the highest contempt.

Like I said, I don't use this word in my everyday vocabulary. But when I come across a person who has no regards whatsoever about others feeling or safety, I'll be honest, I think those people are gots. It has nothing to do with that said person's sexual orientation whatsoever.

I don't use offensive language very often, but when I do, I probably have had a couple of bottle of Dos Equis. Stay PC my friends.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cause I said leave the internet if you can't stand the word got? got shouldn't even be any where near your "offensive" list tbh.
    You can't say that. Some people might have been called this through HS or in a situation that traumatized them. Just like the "N" word. These young guys and middle-age guys like myself use this word like nothing. But to an elderly black gentlemen, they probably still find the word highly offensive.

This is what I mean by taking into consideration people's feelings, stations and situations. A got wouldn't careless. See what I mean.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He isn't black though. Ask him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He isn't black though. Ask him.
    It doesn't matter. He could be gay or had a friend/family member that was gay that was ridiculed with the word that just turns him off to it.

What you might find not offensive, could be extremely offensive to someone else just based off the experience he has encounter in his life. I am just saying, take that into consideration. Everyone walks in different shoes.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are you gay freemeat?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seriously, dude. Have some class.

Thread Information