Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    above average height mavs>spurs's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    could become the new normal. there's a number of things we've gotten used to in the last ten years that were basically unthinkable before 9/11.
    yep, we've become domesticated and castrated pussies who put up with all kinds of bull

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    that's not the way it works. first of all, the central banks control interest rates so they can do what they want there. secondly, the coupon payment on those bonds is going to be the same regardless of the interest rate. the only thing that fluctuates is the amount that investors will pay for the bonds, and that determines the interest rate on the bond. but the coupon rate is constant. if we owe 500,000 coupon payments semiannually on each bond for example, then were still going to pay that same coupon payment regardless of the interest rate.
    the only thing that changing interest rates could affect is future borrowings basically.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that's not the way it works. first of all, the central banks control interest rates so they can do what they want there. secondly, the coupon payment on those bonds is going to be the same regardless of the interest rate. the only thing that fluctuates is the amount that investors will pay for the bonds, and that determines the interest rate on the bond. but the coupon rate is constant. if we owe 500,000 coupon payments semiannually on each bond for example, then were still going to pay that same coupon payment regardless of the interest rate.
    That is the way it works. As bonds mature and get paid off new bonds are issued at the current going rate, so new bonds will carry higher interest rates and gradually the "old" low interest bonds get phased out.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    That is the way it works. As bonds mature and get paid off new bonds are issued at the current going rate, so new bonds will carry higher interest rates and gradually the "old" low interest bonds get phased out.
    yeah but you are worried about money we haven't even borrowed yet. we just flat won't be able to borrow this kind of money at high interest rates unless we are interested in crashing our country.

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the only thing that changing interest rates could affect is future borrowings basically.
    While true, there is the small detail about how we're constantly borrowing money. Thus interest rates going up will affect us.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    While true, there is the small detail about how we're constantly borrowing money. Thus interest rates going up will affect us.
    yeah that is going to change, like it or not. one way or another, some day it'll be time to pay the piper. and that's when i flee this and run far, far away. the crash will be devastating.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    our government by both parties has betrayed us.
    It's a free market, the govt was sold to the highest bidders.

and in the tea world, those bidders are NEVER mentioned, which totally betrays TBs as fakes.

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah that is going to change, like it or not. one way or another, some day it'll be time to pay the piper. and that's when i flee this and run far, far away. the crash will be devastating.
    The government will just erase the publicly held portion of the debt by having the SSA agree to "forgive" Treasury from paying them back. They'll keep SS going, but there will be massive benefit cuts and massive payroll tax increases. Medicare will also become a voucher program.

Once the public portion of the debt is erased things will be manageable for the time being with the one huge drastic crash averted. Instead we'll just be treated to a cycle of every generation paying more taxes for less benefits than the one before it.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    if you loot SS there will be consequences. the current generation ain't even paying in..it's going to be a mess and not nearly that easily avoidable.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    if you loot SS there will be consequences. the current generation ain't even paying in..it's going to be a mess and not nearly that easily avoidable.
    SS has already been looted. there is no lockbox.

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh people will definitely get pissed, but given the alternative of absolute financial collapse our politicians will relent. Given how little we hold our politicians accountable, most of them will probably keep their jobs. Both sides will come together to do the deal, shake on it and then head for the nearest television camera to tell the upset public that "it had to be done and it's all the other team's fault".

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    and when all the retirees starve? the problem is, they need MORE to be able to survive..it's like time to increase benefits and we're going to have to go the opposite direction. won't be good.

how do you tell someone who paid into the damn thing for 50 years that they don't even get enough money to survive on? people ought to be tried for treason and hanged for this .

Scrumtrulescent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    and when all the retirees starve?
    Publicly, just evidence of the opposing party's irresponsible policies.

Privately, unfortunate but necessary collateral damage to avert a complete financial collapse.

how do you tell someone who paid into the damn thing for 50 years that they don't even get enough money to survive on?
    Simple. You blame it all on the opposing party.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    7 Ways to End the Deficit (without Throwing Grandma under the Bus)

http://www.commondreams.org/view/2012/09/05-12

uncapping SS, and reinstating the complete estate tax cuts would add a couple $T back.

My Team
    Portland Trailblazers
    Post Count
    Common Dreams?

Someone else tell me if it's a worthwhile read before I open it. It seems only about 1% of their material isn't complete bull .

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    WC is 100% bull

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We need 32 Trillion in debt, not 16.

Right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We need 32 Trillion in debt, not 16.

Right now.

Que?

Troll
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The dollar will collapse and that $16 Trillion will be paid off with a few hundred Yen.

/end thread.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who Owns US debt?

Biggest Holders of US Government Debt

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/bigges...ov-t-debt.html

China owns USA?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So owing ourselves 6.5 trillion (most which will be needed to pay future social security benefits that have been promised) is a good thing?

What happens when they have to come up with the CASH to pay those benefits? Where is the CASH going to come from?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The greedy, gorging, corrupt vampire-squid health care system and the corrupt MIC will provide the cash.

I M Ultimate Badass Quadzilla99's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    One day Republicans will get back in charge and fix this horrible debt crisis which they really really care bout. Deeply and truly care about. Deeply.

I M Ultimate Badass Quadzilla99's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh cool, another thread where Republicans pretend they've ALWAYS cared about the national deficit
    Was this ever not so?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    6 trillion, 60 trillion. Who's going to collect? Has anyone here missed a meal because of it? No.

Thread Information