Page 43 of 88 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 2178
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I suspect Spurs might do a 'George Hill' again by trading their beloved 'Dejounte Murray' for a higher pick.
    I said the same thing in another thread and also earlier in this one. I understand people like the young man and think the sky is the limit with him but if the front office sees a guy who they think can be really good I think they will not bat an eye packaging Murray and a pick to move up and grab their guy.

With the way White has turned out and the fact that Murray will be coming up on an extension soon after making the all defensive 2nd team before his injury, the guy isn't going to want to take a discount. Now if they wait until after next season to extend him and he shows that he has worked on his jumper and overall game they should sign him.

Honestly though I think Murray is going to underwhelm a lot of folks expectations next season which can kill his trade value. Even though he is coming off an injury I think his trade value is gonna be high due to the unknown. I hope I'm wrong though and he comes back as a better offensive player next season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Lesser known college" is that better? Doesn't change the promise of my message though.
    Sure it does. The PAC-12 is a major conference. Chauncey Billups played at CU, as did Alec Burks, Jay Humphries, Andre Roberson, Spencer Dinwiddie, and Chris Copeland.

I can't even tell you what conference Belmont is in, nor do I care to look it up. The situations are not the same. The fact that they both played four years of college ball is eclipsed by the wildly different levels of compe ion, which is why White was projected as a late 1st or early 2nd, and Windler is projected as a late 2nd. He may or not make it in the NBA, but his projection is likely based on two strikes against him: four years of college, and low compe ion level.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sure it does. The PAC-12 is a major conference. Chauncey Billups played at CU, as did Alec Burks, Jay Humphries, Andre Roberson, Spencer Dinwiddie, and Chris Copeland.

I can't even tell you what conference Belmont is in, nor do I care to look it up. The situations are not the same. The fact that they both played four years of college ball is eclipsed by the wildly different levels of compe ion, which is why White was projected as a late 1st or early 2nd, and Windler is projected as a late 2nd. He may or not make it in the NBA, but his projection is likely based on two strikes against him: four years of college, and low compe ion level.
    This whole argument started with me quoting a post that said Windler is projected to go 29.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This whole argument started with me quoting a post that said Windler is projected to go 29.
    That's pretty high. He's got the shooting gene, but I'm not sure how much more of his game will project into the NBA.

Spurs fan in Las Vegas Drom John's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Belmont is in the Ohio Valley Conference.

The only Belmont NBA player ever is Ian Clark (undrafted)
    Best of 7 Austin Peay, Trenton Hassell (30th pick)
    Best of 2 Eastern Illinois, Kevin Duckworth (33rd)
    Best of 2 Eastern Kentucky, Jim Baechtold (2nd, way back in 1952)
    Only Jacksonville State, Walker Russell (undrafted)
    Best of 6 Morehead State, Kenneth Faried, (22nd)
    Best of 11 Murray State, Cameron Payne (14th)
    Best of 2 Southeast Missouri State, Antonius Cleveland (undrafted)
    Best two of 10 Southern Illinois, Walt Frazier (5th) and Joe Meriweather (11th)
    Best six of 19 Tennessee State, Barnett (4th), Ben Warley (6th), Monti Davis (21), Porter Meriwether (21), Ted McClain (22), Truck Robinson (22)
    Best of four Tennessee Tech, Kevin Murphy (47)
    Only Tennessee Martin, Lester Hudson (58)

Former Ohio Valley Schools:
    Akron
    East Tennessee
    Evansville
    Louisville
    Marshall
    Middle Tennessee State
    Samford
    Western Kentucky
    Youngstown State

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On tape he looks slow I guess he is a taller version of Forbes at best.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I said the same thing in another thread and also earlier in this one. I understand people like the young man and think the sky is the limit with him but if the front office sees a guy who they think can be really good I think they will not bat an eye packaging Murray and a pick to move up and grab their guy.

With the way White has turned out and the fact that Murray will be coming up on an extension soon after making the all defensive 2nd team before his injury, the guy isn't going to want to take a discount. Now if they wait until after next season to extend him and he shows that he has worked on his jumper and overall game they should sign him.

Honestly though I think Murray is going to underwhelm a lot of folks expectations next season which can kill his trade value. Even though he is coming off an injury I think his trade value is gonna be high due to the unknown. I hope I'm wrong though and he comes back as a better offensive player next season.
    I don't get that logic. The Spurs thought he was going to break out last season before he went down, trading him now when his stock is low is selling very low. Forbes probably has as high of a trade value tbh Spurs should consider moving him.

Next season will be about him getting back in the fold and keeping him healthy. He is up for an extension but he missed a year and has yet to truly breakout.

Rich Paul probably won't be able to get him an especially big deal. I think the Spurs could re-sign him to a potentially good value deal, especially if after next season he takes a big step forward (it usually takes a full season after the injury for players to really return to form). Having him and White going forward is a definite plus, the Spurs should give that up without seeing how good it could be.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree I think from what I have seen from Walker and Murray potential they will eat most of Forbes minutes. But I am only trading Forbes if we have a clear target and will get value back from the trade.

You Are Not Worthy ZeusWillJudge's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Derrick White also fell down because he was relatively old and playing for a no-name college, tbh. Just saying.

It's not just about being a no-name college. It's about the quality of their opponents. Racking up stats in the Ohio Valley Conference is not the same thing as doing it against PAC 12 compe ion.

Windler is a good kid. He's one of those guys you really want to see succeed. My opinion is that he's probably going to have a 3 year career in the G-League. If he makes an NBA team's rotation, I'll be happy for him. I just don't see how the Spurs can use their pick that way. If they get a solid pick at 19, then maybe they swing for the fence on a guy with big upside. If they do pick Windler, it will be like White - because they know a LOT more about him than we possibly can. I don't think they pick him at 29.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No matter how you slice it, unless Murray becomes a high percentage and volume 3-point shooter, they're going to have to choose between him and DeRozan going forward and if all 3 of Murray, White and Walker hit or at least come close to the ceiling the front office supposedly thinks they have, they're going to have eventually make a decision among them too.

It's easy to say trade DeRozan, who's 7 years older. But his trade value would likely be very limited and they'd probably be concerned about the optics of trading a (pseudo) star 1 season after acquiring him and achieving relative success. There's also the psyche of the team, specifically Aldridge and Gay, to consider.

It's not difficult to envision Murray struggling alongside the starters, being marginalized as the season moves along and growing jealous of White. They could try to get out ahead of all this by offering him and a pick in an attempt to get into Hunter range. He'd make for a cleaner immediate fit alongside the mid three and as a long term one alongside White and Walker.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am cool with running all 3 Murray, White, Walker and see what they can do next season and curious what combination Pop can create. The odd people will be Mills and Forbes who will see a dramatic decline in minutes I know Pop won’t want to move either but I don’t see them getting the playing time they want.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Games like tonight are why I want defenders in the draft. I'm sick of always having to double leading to made threes and shots because Mills, Marco, Forbes, Bertans, and DeRozan can't guard anybody

Get some guys who can be left on their own, damn.

After they spend a year in the g-league to be fair to the team of course

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Missing on my list of Ohio Valley draftees is the yet undrafted Ja Morant, projected to go #2 this year.
    Belmont this year beat UCLA in LA, lost at Purdue, beat Temple in the NCAAs, then lost to Maryland by 2.
    Last edited by Drom John; 04-17-2019 at 08:13 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tankathon's mock has Spurs taking Goga at 19, while Rui Hachimura was taken 21 by OKC. Hachimura is consistently undervalued by Tankathon, but if the Spurs have the choice between these two prospects who gets taken? I'd draft Hachimura.
    IMO, Goga easily between the two of them. Younger and impressing in Euroleague (the 2nd hardest league in the world), shows a lot of promise. Hachimura doesn't do all that much besides score...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am cool with running all 3 Murray, White, Walker and see what they can do next season and curious what combination Pop can create. The odd people will be Mills and Forbes who will see a dramatic decline in minutes I know Pop won’t want to move either but I don’t see them getting the playing time they want.
    I have been on record saying that the Murray, White, DDR, LMA, and Jakob lineup could be a disaster offensively.

That units best 3 pt shooter is still low volume and only around league average (White). The spacing would be out of wack unless Murray can knock down open 3s. If Forbes is to play a role on next year's team, then this would be the scenario;

Murray, Forbes, DDR, LMA, Poeltl
    Mills, White, Bertans, Gay

Its a more logical lineup; White would be able play around 28 mpg off the bench, and be able to run the offense for long periods of time as well as close (with Bertans/ Gay at the 4, minimizing the spacing issues)

Starting Forbes and White off the bench means that Beli and Walker are on the outside of the rotation. Beli will be 34 iirc and it probably makes sense to bench him if PATFO thinks Forbes is a long term piece.

Walker probably wasn't going to be able to get minutes anyway. After next season, something would have to give, that might mean that White slides over to guard and Walker becomes the backup 2 while Mills is a deep bench player his final year of his deal.

Still would like to see PATFO shop Forbes as means of moving up in the draft though.
    Last edited by cd021; 04-17-2019 at 03:48 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IMO, Goga easily between the two of them. Younger and impressing in Euroleague (the 2nd hardest league in the world), shows a lot of promise. Hachimura doesn't do all that much besides score...
    Haven't seen much of Rui but he looks like a good athlete but also can't/doesn't take 3s. At 6'8 he looks more like a 4 than a 3. That probably isn't a big deal, especially if he can still defend on the perimeter. I am very high on Goga tbh but am split on who they should take if either fall to 19. Probably Rui though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    CBS: NBA: NBA Mock Draft 2019: Duke's Zion Williamson enters draft and no doubt will be the first pick
    Zion will be top pick as the first-round draft order is set outside of the lottery
    by Gary Parrish GaryParrishCBS Apr 16, 2019 at 8:30 am ET

team logo
    Spurs

Keldon Johnson | Kentucky | Fr | SG | 6-6

Kentucky should have three players selected in the top 20 of this NBA Draft — and they really could go in any order. For what it's worth, I have Johnson the last to come off the board. But if he's actiually the first, it won't be surprising considering the 6-6 wing is a nice athlete who shot 38.1 percent from 3-point range on three attempts per game this season. He was a big reason why Kentucky was just a shot away from making the Final Four for the fifth time in a 10-year span under John Calipari.
    team logo
    Spurs

Pick acquired via trade with Toronto

Dylan Windler | Belmont | Sr | SG | 6-8

Windler entered Belmont as a mostly unheralded prospect but is leaving as one of the nation's most productive players. The 6-8 senior averaged 21.3 points and 10.8 rebounds in 33.2 minutes per game this season while registering the nation's 10th-best Player Efficiency Rating and leading the Bruins to their first win in NCAA Tournament history. Beyond that, Windler shot above 42 percent from 3-point range in each of the past two seasons, which suggests he'll be a reliable shooter in the NBA and a space-the-floor forward.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    SBNation:
    NBA mock draft 2019: Zion Williamson is a lock to go No. 1. Is Ja Morant No. 2?
    9 comments
    Everyone knows who’s going No. 1 in the NBA Draft. That makes the second pick the true starting point.
    By Ricky O'Donnell Apr 16, 2019, 7:00am EDT

19. San Antonio Spurs - Grant Williams, F, Tennessee

Williams won SEC Player of the Year as a sop re and then improved his numbers drastically across the board as a junior. The 6’7, 240-pound forward is a strong rebounder, versatile defender, and high-IQ offensive player who can move the ball and finish efficiently. He projects as a rugged role-player who feels like a perfect fit on the Spurs.
    29. San Antonio Spurs - Luka Samanic, F, Croatia

A pure shooter at 6’11 who will need to prove he can handle the physicality of a front court position in the NBA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fansided: Sir Charles in Charge: NBA Mock Draft 2.0: Ja Morant continues to rise; Cam Reddish falls
    by Michael Saenz 10 hours ago [AKA 17 April 2019]

19. San Antonio Spurs – Tyler Herro, G, Kentucky

Other than having arguably the best name in the 2019 NBA Draft, Tyler Herro is a prospect that there is a lot to like. He has shown the ability to score a number of ways on the floor, and has the ability to be a good 3-point shooter at the next level.
    00:04 / 00:15
    SKIP AD

Plus, he’s the type of player that you just assume will find success under the tutelage of Gregg Popovich and the San Antonio Spurs. He won’t be asked to start right away, and will have room to grow with a number of the team’s other young prospects.

This is almost like a match made in heaven if it all comes together. He could be the eventual replacement for DeMar DeRozan, when they move on from each other.
    29. San Antonio Spurs (via Raptors) – Daniel Gafford, C, Indiana

Back-to-back centers taken in the 2019 NBA Draft? Yes, it’s quite amazing that this would happen in the modern NBA, but that’s exactly what could happen with the Warriors and Spurs. San Antonio could use a natural center, and Daniel Gafford fits the mold.
    00:03 / 00:15
    SKIP AD

Gafford is 6-foot-11 and averaged a double-double while blocking 2.5 shots per game during his sop re season at Indiana. He returned to school last season, but didn’t help his draft stock all that much.

Now, he’s ready to make the jump to the association, and what better place to do that with the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bleacher Report: NBA Mock Draft 2019: Bold Predictions for Low-Profile Prospects
    Steve Silverman
    April 17, 2019

19. San Antonio Spurs, C Goga Bitadze, Buducnost
    29. San Antonio Spurs (from Toronto Raptors), SF-PF Isaiah Roby, Nebraska

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wouldn't mind Goga being the pick with what you are saying, especially if he wants to come over next year. If he's the pick, Goga could get teaching from LMA and TD. We need to be training a big that can do pick and pop on the perimeter and scoring on the low block. You still need a post presence from a big offensively.

Hachimura is a younger Rudy Gay clone that will need to better his defense and also his rebounding. The rebounding does concern me. Clarke grabbing a lot of boards can skew the numbers. Both would be great options if the draft falls this way.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This guy might be with reach of pick #29 or even #49: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...ters-nba-draft

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hachimura is a younger Rudy Gay clone that will need to better his defense and also his rebounding. The rebounding does concern me. Clarke grabbing a lot of boards can skew the numbers. Both would be great options if the draft falls this way.
    After watching his highlights, I do see him as a younger Gay. He is likely an NBA power forward and but his rebounding is a concern, he only averaged 6.5 rebounds in 30 minutes and pretty much didn't take 3s. He does look like a great athlete and a finisher but he is going to need a good mid-range and a decent 3pt jumper but is obtainable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After watching his highlights, I do see him as a younger Gay. He is likely an NBA power forward and but his rebounding is a concern, he only averaged 6.5 rebounds in 30 minutes and pretty much didn't take 3s. He does look like a great athlete and a finisher but he is going to need a good mid-range and a decent 3pt jumper but is obtainable.
    Why do posters here want him? It doesn't sound like he does anything at an NBA level. The two skills that translate from one level of basketball to the next higher level are elite shooting and elite rebounding. I'll just leave it at that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Ringer: Kevin O'Connor's Big Board
    Updated 4.16

NOT TEAM DEPENDENT.

1 9
    RUI HACHIMURA Forward Gonzaga

PTS 19.7 26.1 per 40
    REB 6.5 8.6 per 40
    AST 1.5 2.0 per 40
    EFG% 60.8 465 FGA
    STL 0.9 1.3 per 40
    BLK 0.7 1.0 per 40
    3PT% 41.7 36 3PA
    FT% 73.9 222 FTA

Main Selling Point Offensive versatility
    Age21.2
    Height/Weight6'8''/230
    Wingspan7'2''

Raw talent born in Japan who’s progressed considerably in college to become a versatile scorer, but still has so far to go before his game can translate to the NBA.
    Shades Of: The Morris twins, Jabari Parker, washed Carmelo Anthony
    PLUSES

Tremendous physical tools with a thick frame, long arms, and fluid athleticism. He’s activated these traits with improved ballhandling moves going coast-to-coast after rebounds.
    Potential mismatch scorer who can be used all over the court: He’s an effective post scorer, a powerful straight-line driver, a willing cutter, and an improving spot-up shooter.
    Comfortable handling the ball and shooting off the dribble from the short midrange; at his rate of improvement, perhaps he’ll someday extend his range to 3.
    Versatile close-range finisher who can score above the rim with touch using either hand. He’s a willing screener and could be useful in the pick-and-roll.
    Has the tools to be a versatile defender with a sturdy frame, long arms, athleticism, a willingness to learn, and a proven track record of making improvements.
    Hard worker on and off the floor who has gotten better each season. Hachimura didn’t start playing organized basketball until he was 14; he’s in the early stages of his development.

MINUSES

The game moves too fast for him on offense; he’s a poor decision-maker who’s slow to read the floor. Even when he does pass, he delivers the ball inaccurately.
    Needs to be stronger with the ball; he powered through college players but savvier defenders knew to strip the ball because of his tendency to bring it down.
    Reads the floor on defense at Windows 98 speeds; he’s a liability in the pick-and-roll, gets caught in no-man’s-land, and is late to rotate in help situations.
    Needs to be more physical to improve his rebounding, which would help compensate for his defensive imitations.
    2 9
    CAMERON JOHNSON Forward North Carolina

PTS 16.9 22.6 per 40
    REB 5.8 7.7 per 40
    AST 2.4 3.2 per 40
    EFG% 62.0 418 FGA
    STL 1.2 1.6 per 40
    BLK 0.3 0.4 per 40
    3PT% 45.7 210 3PA
    FT% 81.8 110 FTA

Main Selling Point Shooting
    Age23.1
    Height/Weight6'9''/210
    WingspanN/A

Effective shooter who presents value for teams in need of a tall, floor-spacing role player.
    Shades Of: Nemanja Bjelica, Jonas Jerebko, Dorian Finney-Smith
    PLUSES

Good spot-up shooter with a compact form and good footwork. He has the body control to balance himself midair to hit shots off movement.
    Uses screens and relocates at an NBA level. If he masters his off-screen shooting, he could become a tough cover due to his size.
    Runs the floor hard in transition. He’s a leak-out threat who will benefit from NBA pace.
    Average passer who won’t be tasked with playmaking responsibilities, but he tends to make the right play within the flow of the offense.
    Selfless player who accepts his role next to more ball-dominant players. He’s happy playing a role, cutting and spotting up.
    Projects as a solid positional defender who resists fouling while sliding and has solid off-ball awareness.

MINUSES

Underwent an arthroscopic procedure on his left hip in 2018 to correct a bone impingement and a torn labrum. He gets banged up often during games, too.
    Unable to create much off the dribble. Average athlete with a slow first step; he takes short, choppy steps on drives. His shot also isn’t quite as accurate off the dribble.
    Subpar at-rim finisher against length, and he rarely draws fouls. Despite his height, he’s also not a post threat.
    Improved perimeter defender following his hip procedure but he’s still stiff moving laterally, and struggles to contain scorers who change directions quickly.
    Lacks ideal strength to be an effective defender on switches against larger players. He’s also not a great rebounder for his size.

Thread Information