Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would love to see Pop utilize him to his max potential. Reminds me when the team had a roll man like Splitter. Too bad Manu retired. They would've been great to watch on the P&R

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since being drafted, Jakob is underrated. I hope he proves Masai Ujiri wrong to have traded him. And I think he will if he get's the GO to play his game.

In Toronto he had to do the dirty work. Don't get me wrong. There's nothing wrong to do the dirty work, but Jakob has the potential to do more than that. And I guess Pop has seen that. When I saw Pop speaking highly about Jakob in his interview after last year's game against the Raptors I already thought that he will end up one day in San Antonio. It went faster than expected. Good for Jakob, good for the Spurs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since being drafted, Jakob is underrated. I hope he proves Masai Ujiri wrong to have traded him. And I think he will if he get's the GO to play his game.

In Toronto he had to do the dirty work. Don't get me wrong. There's nothing wrong to do the dirty work, but Jakob has the potential to do more than that. And I guess Pop has seen that. When I saw Pop speaking highly about Jakob in his interview after last year's game against the Raptors I already thought that he will end up one day in San Antonio. It went faster than expected. Good for Jakob, good for the Spurs.
    Have you watched Jakob much? You seem to know a bit about him. What is his game other than doing the "dirty work"?

I like the guy. I really hope he becomes a good/great player for the Spurs. He doesn't have to be a star on offense or anything. If he was just to become decent on offense (I certainly won't complain if he becomes better than decent on that end of the court), and be good/great on defense and rebounding, then I'd be pretty happy with that. He seems like a tough, aggressive player (which I like), while also having a good personality. I like what I've heard from him so far.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everyone knows what to expect from DeRozan.

Nobody knows what Poetl can do (or can't). So any upside will be a surprise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Gasol’s statement of willing to come from the bench is any indication, Pops is transitioning to start Poetl over Pau sooner than later. I expect him to be starting after a few weeks. And he’d be great improvement over Pau on defense, switching on PNR’s with his agile feet, keeping his ground on D, chasing 50/50 balls, help defense blocking shots. He would be in the thick of things. He would’ve been a great rollman with Manu ala Splitter without the punky layup. I still cringe on the thought of Splitter’s hookshots, yikes! I’m excited to see him play and would come out as another great move by Pops/RJ to acquire him over the more popular OG or Siakam. LMA can actually dominate the smaller PF with him in the lineup. And with 2 of the best big men in Duncan and Gasol to mentor him, I can’t wait for his development as a true force in the middle. I wouldn’t be surprised if Splitter and Diaw would be back to show him some of the beautiful game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IS POETL better then splitter?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    league pass charged me
    For another year without my consent

ig assholes

I guess Ill be forced to watch this group of scrub every other day for the next 9 momths

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since I'm Austrian and Jakob ist the only NBA player from Austria, I've seen almost every Raptors game. ;-) But I watched him already playing for the Utes in college and obviously his games with the Austrian National Team.

Mainly there are 2 points of critizism of his game:

1) Weak defensive rebounder
    It's true that he has to put on some muscle to be really good on the defensive board, but watch him play on defense for the Raptors. Then you understand why his def. rebound stats don't stand out. Because he's so mobile, he didn't play so much under the rim like other centers (like Valanciunas). He also was often needed to help out and to leave his position. Unfortunately the helper got no help more than once. In addition, he often forgoes easy rebounds in transition and leave it to the guards. When traditional centers try to get each defensive rebound, he already runs down the floor.

2) Can't shoot
    Here's obviously room for improvement, but he has shown good touch in the past.
    His free throw percentage isn't promising, but on the one side I think it has to do with the way he plays. He wasn't used to play at such a high pace. On the other side he doesn't shoot a high volume and got no rhythmn. I'm sure he can do better. For example: In the Summer 2017 he played three or four games for the national team and shot 77% (22/26) from the line.
    I also think that he can be an average three-point-shooter or at least a good midrange-shooter. He was an okay shooter from behind the line when he was younger and played in Austria. The problem is he didn't shoot it (in games) in the last four years.

+ quick feet (watch how he defended Durant and Curry)
    + high BB IQ
    + screens
    + shot-blocking
    + almost always in the right position
    + offensive rebounding
    + work ethic

- boxing out / defensive rebounding (has to gain some muscle without losing his quickness)
    - shooting (there's potential)
    - killer instinct (play with confidence!)

The last point is an important one. Sometimes I have the impression that he thinks too much about it what he could do wrong. That's the downside of being drafted by a competing team like Toronto. There was no room for mistakes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IS POETL better then splitter?
    I expect year 3 splitter tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Since I'm Austrian and Jakob ist the only NBA player from Austria, I've seen almost every Raptors game. ;-) But I watched him already playing for the Utes in college and obviously his games with the Austrian National Team.

Mainly there are 2 points of critizism of his game:

1) Weak defensive rebounder
    It's true that he has to put on some muscle to be really good on the defensive board, but watch him play on defense for the Raptors. Then you understand why his def. rebound stats don't stand out. Because he's so mobile, he didn't play so much under the rim like other centers (like Valanciunas). He also was often needed to help out and to leave his position. Unfortunately the helper got no help more than once. In addition, he often forgoes easy rebounds in transition and leave it to the guards. When traditional centers try to get each defensive rebound, he already runs down the floor.

2) Can't shoot
    Here's obviously room for improvement, but he has shown good touch in the past.
    His free throw percentage isn't promising, but on the one side I think it has to do with the way he plays. He wasn't used to play at such a high pace. On the other side he doesn't shoot a high volume and got no rhythmn. I'm sure he can do better. For example: In the Summer 2017 he played three or four games for the national team and shot 77% (22/26) from the line.
    I also think that he can be an average three-point-shooter or at least a good midrange-shooter. He was an okay shooter from behind the line when he was younger and played in Austria. The problem is he didn't shoot it (in games) in the last four years.

+ quick feet (watch how he defended Durant and Curry)
    + high BB IQ
    + screens
    + shot-blocking
    + almost always in the right position
    + offensive rebounding
    + work ethic

- boxing out / defensive rebounding (has to gain some muscle without losing his quickness)
    - shooting (there's potential)
    - killer instinct (play with confidence!)

The last point is an important one. Sometimes I have the impression that he thinks too much about it what he could do wrong. That's the downside of being drafted by a competing team like Toronto. There was no room for mistakes.
    Appreciate this breakdown.
    Quality post!

65 tons of American pride Canyonero's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cause he's white?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    league pass charged me
    For another year without my consent

ig assholes

I guess Ill be forced to watch this group of scrub every other day for the next 9 momths
    League pass always does the auto renewal every year even when you tell them not to. They did that to me every year when i had league pass living in Minneapolis.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's calm down a bit... I remember ppl talking this highly of Joff last year... We know how that turned out...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    More excited than seeing DeRozan? No. But I am excited to see what Poetl has.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sucks that Manu’s not gonna play with Poetl coz Yak can definitely catch passes from Manu. Who’s the best playmaker that’s gonna pair with him? Derozan? White?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not, his face reminds me of Bonner tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    More excited than seeing DeRozan? No. But I am excited to see what Poetl has.
    I put it as more intrigued by Poeltl than DeMar as we have an inkling about who and what type of palyer he is- although probably didn't appreciate his playmaking skills as well- See TIMVP post.

The default comparison is Splitter. Both similar size, White with germanic sounding names -Stereotypes are areal time saver! (i'm joking...)
    I've always disliked comparisons as no two palyers are ever really completely alike.
    There are some similarities. Splitter was never a great Defensive rebounder either for some of the same reasons Ragas pointed out. Great at Boxing out, but not a great rebounder. Splitter was very mobile, great passer and smart so evidently some similarities.

Peoltl is a good shot blocker, whereas Splitter was not. Might be my impression, although listed as similar size, Peoltl looks a bit bigger.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's calm down a bit... I remember ppl talking this highly of Joff last year... We know how that turned out...
    Not even close to the same thing. People should have known what to expect because Joff barely got on the floor with Denver and whoever else he played for. Knew he couldn’t play defense. Jakob was a contributing piece on a 59 win team (idc what conference). He also is known for defense unlike Joff. He was drafted 9th so he is perceived to have more potential. This guy will be a + for the team. Book it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember one poster who basically saidHe warned us about Joffrey that he will show flashes of being good but was fools gold and would be disappointed

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember one poster who basically saidHe warned us about Joffrey that he will show flashes of being good but was fools gold and would be disappointed
    I don't remember who it was, but I'm pretty sure that is was a french poster. I actually thought at the time he was too harsh on his fellow countryman, but I guess it was the rest of us that were too lenient on him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that was my friend Brazil.

Even as a french fan he wasn't all that crazy about that signing. (Apalisoc was celebrating it since he had mentioned a day or two prior that the guy was available and the Spurs should look into him... he just so happened to have hit a bullseye with that one and he milked it for all it was worth at the time.)

JOLO looked good enough in preseason. Not great by any means, just good enough to be serviceable some minutes. That turned out to not be the case. Playing JOLO = loss.

That's a warning about preseason "fool's gold".

Edit: There was a contingent of fans that argued the Spurs should have drafted Jordan Bell instead of White, considering their need for defensive oriented bigs, and athleticism. Objective, TD 21, Manu4tres, Chinook, many frequent posters argued for this. Objective specially was very vocal against JOLO>

Anyways, I really didn't pay attention to the draft last year until it was over so I was ______ (draw a blank). In retrospect, the Spurs have to play White this season. They took him in the draft with legit NBA players still available on the board bc they saw something. So I do hope to see White flourish this year.
    Last edited by SAGirl; 09-27-2018 at 11:53 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not even close to the same thing. People should have known what to expect because Joff barely got on the floor with Denver and whoever else he played for. Knew he couldn’t play defense. Jakob was a contributing piece on a 59 win team (idc what conference). He also is known for defense unlike Joff. He was drafted 9th so he is perceived to have more potential. This guy will be a + for the team. Book it.
    Yeah. People who talked up Joffrey talked him up because they thought maybe we'd get the most out of his potential. But there's a reason why he's out of the league at this point.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As long as JP can catch a pass and dunk and set good picks and play decent defense I will be happy as

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Checking in.

DeRozan will have a year, Aldridge will come back down to Earth but still be good, Poetl will be a beast, Murray will put both points and turnovers up, Belinelli and Mills will both have moments where they're the most hated players on the forum, and Forbes will surprise everyone with a breakout season. Book it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that was my friend Brazil.

Even as a french fan he wasn't all that crazy about that signing. (Apalisoc was celebrating it since he had mentioned a day or two prior that the guy was available and the Spurs should look into him... he just so happened to have hit a bullseye with that one and he milked it for all it was worth at the time.)

JOLO looked good enough in preseason. Not great by any means, just good enough to be serviceable some minutes. That turned out to not be the case. Playing JOLO = loss.

That's a warning about preseason "fool's gold".

Edit: There was a contingent of fans that argued the Spurs should have drafted Jordan Bell instead of White, considering their need for defensive oriented bigs, and athleticism. Objective, TD 21, Manu4tres, Chinook, many frequent posters argued for this. Objective specially was very vocal against JOLO>

Anyways, I really didn't pay attention to the draft last year until it was over so I was ______ (draw a blank). In retrospect, the Spurs have to play White this season. They took him in the draft with legit NBA players still available on the board bc they saw something. So I do hope to see White flourish this year.

on my side joff disappointment is all but a surprise .. 1 good game 10 trash games rinse and repeat.. dude is soft and unconsistent..

Thread Information