Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if when doing surgery on ankle did they do anything else with his foot a lot of times on a second break there is a reason as in the foots position is wrong - they might shave some of the heel bone or do other things to make sure the foot is properly aligned - With this injury I would be shocked if he is playing NBA ball by December as being with the Spurs I doubt they will want to fast track him to play

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So it looks like the only reason for signing Dieng late in the year was to have an extra big just in case the Spurs made the playoffs... interesting. If they didn't have a playoff run in mind, it seems like it would've made sense to just give those minutes to Eubanks for experience. I guess a couple months of a minimum contract isn't any kind of a risk financially, but I'd love to hear the conversation the FO had when the topic first came up.
    Eh, I really think they wanted to bring Dieng back/into the team for good, not only for last season's possible run, especially considering his long/good relationship with RC. But seeing that he went to a contending team, it's far easier to imagine he looked at Atlanta's team and recent playoff run, and then looked at the Spurs' projected roster for next season... And thought to himself, RC hasn't helped Africa enough for me to make such a sacrifice, after all

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So POR let’s him go for nothing…

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Need them contract deets ASAP. If he’s healthy I’m good with him as a player and gamble but hopefully they didn’t pay the Primo price for that gamble.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’ve been consistent on this and will stay the course: I like this signing.

Worthy gamble on a player that had been playing great before injury.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

He looks sad. Maybe his ankles still hurt. What a ing joke.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eh, I really think they wanted to bring Dieng back/into the team for good, not only for last season's possible run, especially considering his long/good relationship with RC. But seeing that he went to a contending team, it's far easier to imagine he looked at Atlanta's team and recent playoff run, and then looked at the Spurs' projected roster for next season... And thought to himself, RC hasn't helped Africa enough for me to make such a sacrifice, after all
    Yo that’s classic! ��������

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The big Aussie has similar skill set but younger.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With this being reported as a straight signing, the Spurs officially have no cap space as of right now. They could still create a couple million by withdrawing KBD's QO and waiting Eubanks. They could create more by stretching AFA or trading guys for less incoming salary. But likely Forbes and SOB get signed very soon, which basically locks the Spurs into being over the cap for the year.

It also suggests that KBD isn't getting a long-term deal and that Wieskamp isn't signing a better-than-min deal. Both of those are a shame, honestly. The Spurs did a good job leveraging cap space with the Hutch deal, but locking in end-of-rotation players to long-term, uber-cheap deals is one of the advantages of having cap space.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    IF he manages to stay relatively healthy, then it’s a great signing tbh. The guy is skilled and mobile. I don’t trust those ankles though.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let’s play around with the idea that he is healthy for most of the duration of his contract.

is he pretty much what we expected Samanic to be? Tall, versatile on defense, gives energy?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Min deal or part of BAE (was answer to Dejounte who asked how to sign Jock/Forbes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone have access to this article: https://theathletic.com/2709729/2021...a-great-story/

Wow. This makes me feel so much better about this signing.

If years 2 and 3 are nonguaranteed and he returns to pre-injury form, this could easily end up being one of the more underrated signings of the offseason.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Could KBD be back on a two-way?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow. This makes me feel so much better about this signing.

If years 2 and 3 are nonguaranteed and he returns to pre-injury form, this could easily end up being one of the more underrated signings of the offseason.
    The issue is, Healthy Zach Collins is worth this deal, maybe. He wasn't a very good player when he was healthy. He'll have to stay on the court, and somehow get better at playing basketball while he's there in order for this to be a steal. We're talking about a guy who hasn't been as good as Drew Eubanks even when he has played. The potential is probably still there, but it was at best a huge risk with a lot less upside than these tweets would suggest.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Could KBD be back on a two-way?
    Nah. He's not two-way eligible. Neither is Hutch if guys were wondering. Wieskamp and Jeffries are.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’ve been consistent on this and will stay the course: I like this signing.

Worthy gamble on a player that had been playing great before injury.
    In theory, if there were a 23-year-old player who used to be great that was sidelined by multiple injuries, I'd like for the rebuilding Spurs to sign that theoretical player. The problem is Collins was never even that good. A big man prospect with zero double-doubles in his career, a career PER of 10.8 (it'd be tough to find a four-year big with a lower career PER; even Cristiano Felicio, the poster boy of bad contract bigs, has a career PER of 14) and a net-negative career plus/minus. On top of that, his main asset pre-injury was his mobility and now he's broken the same bone in his ankle three times. Is it fair to expect his mobility to return even if that ankle bone actually heals this time?

Big picture-wise, I'm glad the Spurs made this type of gamble. It's the exact type of gamble rebuilding teams should make: buying low on a young, distressed asset with extra cap room and roster flexibility. But Collins, specifically, just isn't that appealing. He was never good, much less great. The best you can say was he was a unique, interesting prospect whose career got derailed before he could show what he could do. If the second and third years are unguaranteed then, fine, whatev, a no-harm, no-foul gamble with cap space that would have otherwise gone to a limited vet on a rental.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    C: Poeltl / Landale / Eubanks
    PF: Young / Collins / Samanic
    SF: Johnson / McDermott / Vassell
    SG: White / Walker / Primo
    PG: Murray / Jones / Forbes

Not bad. Not bad at all. The roster is looking more balanced than in previous seasons.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ya it’s not a gamble if you paid him fully guaranteed lol

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He was good not great at Gonzaga.
    To me early in his career he was young and got taken advantage of due to lack of strength and know how.
    Young bigs often take a while to blossom.
    Maybe just maybe.

Thread Information