Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    in principle, Republicans could make a bid for the immigrants and their friends and relatives here in the US by harping on the broken immigration system, the harsh, inhumane asylum process and the lack of any clear pathway to legal citizenship for those already here.

in principle all "these people" could be favorably disposed toward the Republican Party, if the Republican Party were willing to fight for them.

there's one big reason it won't, can anyone guess what it is?
    Catering to illegals is a position already taken and there are many other factors that make this a moronic strategy. That's the big reason.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what's the number of monthly expulsions?

has the tuff on immigration crew even bothered to look it up?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Catering to illegals is a position already taken and there are many other factors that make this a moronic strategy. That's the big reason.
    what reasons? you didn't mention any.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    600,000+ dead Americans from Covid = don't care
    200,000 immigrants = OMG illegals bad!!!

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just to be clear if these people were projected to vote republican in the future democrats would stop their entry. This is all political.

who’s to say those people wont watch tucker carlson and get just as brainwashed as you?

I know many brown stupid idiots who watch fox news, voted for trump and label immigrants “ s”

they wear cowboy hats, drive ty pickup trucks and even speak with a twang

those white supremacist sympathizers got these ideas from somewhere, didnt they?

right wing media 24/7 hate/nazi ideology can infect any idiot- regardless of race,color

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In a country without unity illegal immigration should be non-existent and legal immigration should be very limited and based solely on merit. That's the reality. But democrats will beat their race baiting drum to make people resistant to speak out against what is happening. Silent/unaware conservatives just realize they are effectively washing out your vote. They hate you and will do anything for power.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    classic straw man. absolutely no relationship between the two. Covids bad . I've had it and I'm vaccinated.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    what reasons? you didn't mention any.
    I mentioned the strategic decision of going to market as a "copy cat product" in that post. It's not an effective strategy. Some other reasons why pandering to illegals isn't going to work have already been mentioned in previous comments.
    Last edited by Nathan89; 09-17-2021 at 12:10 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not criticizing you per se CC, just pointing out the hysteria over numbers only seems to matter if you actually care about the issue. 600.000 is a small number to the right when talking about COVID but 200,000 is a massive number when talking about immigrants. The right doesnt care about American or its people, they only care about excluding others tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    200,000 per month

1.2 million in 2021

I'm sure none have covid

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm pretty sure if 200,000 PER MONTH were dying of covid it would be a bigger deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Funny, speaking of the politics of immigration, the Rio Grande Valley, a traditional Red stronghold, is turning blue. They are living the immigration , along with Democrat attacks on oil and the border patrol (huge employers in the valley) are causing it.

Done with the NBA
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Brutal takedown of that strawman.

Narrative: they don't care
    Reality: we shouldn't destroy the country to tackle the problem

Narrative: omg illegals bad.
    Reality: In my opinion illegals are going to diminish the quality of the country.

There is actually a lot of consistency but continue frame conservatives as immoral devils that don't care about people dying.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yall got a source for this 200k per month number? Not being cute just actually want to see a source for that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Brutal takedown of that strawman.

Narrative: they don't care
    Reality: we shouldn't destroy the country to tackle the problem

Narrative: omg illegals bad.
    Reality: In my opinion illegals are going to diminish the quality of the country.

There is actually a lot of consistency but continue frame conservatives as immoral devils that don't care about people dying.
    Lol it's true though. Yall cry like little girls over wearing a ing mask to protect your neighbors you don't give a about the lives lost

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yall got a source for this 200k per month number? Not being cute just actually want to see a source for that.

Illegal crossings along the U.S. southern border remained at decades-high levels last month despite the scorching summer heat, as authorities detained 208,887 migrants in August, according to enforcement data released Wednesday by U.S. Customs and Border Protection.
    It was the first month since President Biden took office that the number of border arrests did not increase, but the August figure was only a 2 percent decline from July, when 212,672 were taken into custody, a 21-year high. CBP has stopped more than 1.2 million border crossers since Biden took office.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably difficult for a town of 36K to accommodate 10K new people.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That is a laughable argument considering we are talking about millions of penniless economic migrants that will become financial burdens of government.
    labor is definitely a commodity and has value. its why people pay for it. its not a political argument, it's an economical one. study after study confirms that influx of low skilled immigrant workers is a boon to the economy despite some up front costs, and does not really depress wages in a significant way. the groups of people most impacted by influxes of immigrant labor are the previous waves of immigrants, and some high school dropout natives you have net wage depression of like 1% over the long run (which is offset by the fact that costs go down for consumers as a result of more production of goods)

the people who are the biggest drain when it comes to financial burdens are retired old people. immigrants tend to be young and of working age, so they lower our average age as well, which is a good thing. there is some up front cost, sure, but thats why the goal should be to get them paying taxes to make that up.

its not my argument, its one that appears to be consensus among economists

broad study on the issue https://www.nber.org/system/files/wo...497/w12497.pdf
    localized study on impact of florida workers after influx of cuban migrants https://davidcard.berkeley.edu/papers/mariel-impact.pdf
    study from cato ins ute, a lbertarian/right think tank https://www.cato.org/cato-journal/fa...n-reduce-wages

theres a lot on this subject... its fairly broadly agreed upon by academics in the field. there's one big name in the field, Borjas, who has the opposite conclusion, but he's something of an outlier.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    also an instructive thread that links to articles along the way. he also happens to be one of the better follows on twitter imho

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Y'all act like they come over here and set up camp in our IR's.

They rent, they work, they don't collect welfare, they buy groceries and other and pay sales taxes.

They're less of a drain on society than most citizens.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    SR21 said it better and beat me to it

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have to say that I'm not in favor of allowing illegal immigrants in the country. Some respect the rules and go the legal way, I don't think illegal behavior should be rewarded. Democrats should increase the number of working visas instead. That's an issue that will backfire in the democrats' face.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have to say that I'm not in favor of allowing illegal immigrants in the country. Some respect the rules and go the legal way, I don't think illegal behavior should be rewarded. Democrats should increase the number of working visas instead. That's an issue that will backfire in the democrats' face.
    yeah, i dont think its ever a good thing to have people here that arent do ented or in the system. the goal should be to get everyone do ented so they can start paying taxes.

and going forward, to streamline the process and make it easier for people to come in. the median age in the US in 1970 was 28. the median age now is 38. immigration helps us get younger, too. get more people paying into social security, etc. its not like the country is overpopulated and has no room for more people.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    10K+

How long has this been in the planning? And how long have separate groups been arriving.
    Did Trump and Abbutt, Cruz etc pay for their transport? Serious Q.

Thread Information