Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yup, article states paint is highly reflective.

CCs confusing comment comes from taking out of context: “Because the paint absorbs less heat from the sun than it emits, a surface coated with this paint is cooled below the surrounding temperature without consuming power.”
    Sorry, the statement still defies physics. Reflecting radiant heat does not "cool" a surface. if the ambient air is 100 degrees the surface will not be less than 100 degrees because of convection heat transfer. Yes, if it reflects 100% of the radiant heat it will still be cooler than a surface that doesn't reflect radiant heat but it can't possibly cool the structure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry, the statement still defies physics. Reflecting radiant heat does not "cool" a surface. if the ambient air is 100 degrees the surface will not be less than 100 degrees because of convection heat transfer. Yes, if it reflects 100% of the radiant heat it will still be cooler than a surface that doesn't reflect radiant heat but it can't possibly cool the structure.
    But it could prevent the structure from becoming hot in the 1st place, depending on how well insulated the structure was. But I've seen multiple articles with conflicting claims, some say it reduces the need for AC and some say it prevents it. Anything that reduces absorbed heat would be a plus (in the summer).

Of course as soon as some dust settles on the surfaces, the show is over. Then you have direct thermal transfer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    who are you fishing for? Or was this just a joke?
    It was a joke.

However as the paint becomes more and more white, the surrounding colors will appear oppressed.

Still Sporting Ben Davis Allan Rowe vs Wade's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    more on the paint:

https://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/rele...roundings.html

“It’s very counterintuitive for a surface in direct sunlight to be cooler than the temperature your local weather station reports for that area, but we’ve shown this to be possible,” said Xiulin Ruan
    “An infrared camera gives you a temperature reading just like a thermometer would to judge if someone has a fever. These readings confirmed that our paint has a lower temperature than both its surroundings and the commercial counterpart,” Ruan said.
    Developing this paint formulation wasn’t easy. The six-year study builds on attempts going back to the 1970s to develop radiative cooling paint as a feasible alternative to traditional air conditioners.
    According to the researchers’ cost estimates, this paint would be both cheaper to produce than its commercial alternative and could save about a dollar per day that would have been spent on air conditioning for a one-story house of approximately 1,076 square feet.

-----------

grains of salt of course in terms of the above is Purdue's PR dept so they also can gloss over the science and downsides while hyping benefits

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    more on the paint:

https://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/rele...roundings.html

“It’s very counterintuitive for a surface in direct sunlight to be cooler than the temperature your local weather station reports for that area, but we’ve shown this to be possible,” said Xiulin Ruan
    “An infrared camera gives you a temperature reading just like a thermometer would to judge if someone has a fever. These readings confirmed that our paint has a lower temperature than both its surroundings and the commercial counterpart,” Ruan said.
    Developing this paint formulation wasn’t easy. The six-year study builds on attempts going back to the 1970s to develop radiative cooling paint as a feasible alternative to traditional air conditioners.
    According to the researchers’ cost estimates, this paint would be both cheaper to produce than its commercial alternative and could save about a dollar per day that would have been spent on air conditioning for a one-story house of approximately 1,076 square feet.

-----------

grains of salt of course in terms of the above is Purdue's PR dept so they also can gloss over the science and downsides while hyping benefits
    But thermal imaging doesn't measure the air temp. The surrounding masses that would be hotter would likely be hotter than the air temp, especially pavement or roofing materials.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I keep an infrared thermometer on my desk to check employees temps. Pointing it at my dark desk consistently gives a reading of around 6 degrees F higher than a white sheet of paper that has been sitting on the same desktop for days. I'm pretty confident if I used an actual thermometer they would be the same temperature.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would your infrared thermometer measure your darker skinned employees as being warmer than your lighter skinned employees?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would your infrared thermometer measure your darker skinned employees as being warmer than your lighter skinned employees?

nice try, but none of us are pure reflective white.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was a joke.

However as the paint becomes more and more white, the surrounding colors will appear oppressed.
    That's what reparations are for...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nice try, but none of us are pure reflective white.
    I'm whiter than that paint...
    well ... almost none

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information