My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Random thought, from a random dude (with a cold one), but just thinking about that'03 run. How unexpected it was, the year before they were supposed to land their big free-agent to pair with Duncan. They entered with a mixed bag of vets and youth surrounding a transcendent superstar. Tony was yet an All-Star, Ginobili was oft-injured and unknown and the rest were bordering"meh", on the way out or decent rotation players.

The Lakers were "unstoppable," even if the Kings were right there. But the Spurs had the transcendent star at the right position and a coach with the right scheme and gameplan - the parts were put together to give them a shot in a best-case scenario.

Question is, can it be replicated? I know most think they need more starpower, and most think GS is leaps-and-bounds the best team in basketball, but I don't know that it's the case - I really believe that's at least a six-game series with a healthy Kawhi, and they probably have a shot if the supporting cast meets - maybe exceeds - expectation like the '03 team.

Is it possible? Are there players in the pipeline, on the market or could be had to form that sum-is-greater team to give the Spurs a legit shot next year in a best-case scenario? The Warriors, like the Lakers, have made 3 straight Finals appearances, which will wear on teams -
    admittedly, Durant being added definitely helps.

Any optimism? I mean, for 's sake, it's an even year. Kawhi rings in even years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Add CP3 and two more, and well see................

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really liked some of those pieces the Spurs added before the season started in 03. That said, I still thought that the Kings, Mavs, and Lakers among others were too formidable. Frankly, this is different because we really know that the Spurs have one team to beat. Anyone else they lose to is just choking.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really liked some of those pieces the Spurs added before the season started in 03. That said, I still thought that the Kings, Mavs, and Lakers among others were too formidable. Frankly, this is different because we really know that the Spurs have one team to beat. Anyone else they lose to is just choking.
    Yeah, the Mavs really added some payroll. Definitely got talked about before the Spurs nationally - just below the Kings.

It's still probably my favorite championship. How unexpected it was, sending off Dave that way, Tim doing what he did . . .

Highly improbable year to most going in, and the reason I had the thought to make this thread.

As one of my most successful trolls said:

Believe.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, the Mavs really added some payroll. Definitely got talked about before the Spurs nationally - just below the Kings.

It's still probably my favorite championship. How unexpected it was, sending off Dave that way, Tim doing what he did . . .

Highly improbable year to most going in, and the reason I had the thought to make this thread.

As one of my most successful trolls said:

Believe.
    The Mavs were steamrolling the league early in the regular season, too. But the Spurs ended up closing the gap and stealing the 1 seed in the final weeks, and that's when people really started to give us a puncher's chance.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bertie and Murray being the breakouts ala GNob and Slim Porker in a Championship year?
    Sure.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Random thought, from a random dude (with a cold one), but just thinking about that'03 run. How unexpected it was, the year before they were supposed to land their big free-agent to pair with Duncan. They entered with a mixed bag of vets and youth surrounding a transcendent superstar. Tony was yet an All-Star, Ginobili was oft-injured and unknown and the rest were bordering"meh", on the way out or decent rotation players.

The Lakers were "unstoppable," even if the Kings were right there. But the Spurs had the transcendent star at the right position and a coach with the right scheme and gameplan - the parts were put together to give them a shot in a best-case scenario.

Question is, can it be replicated? I know most think they need more starpower, and most think GS is leaps-and-bounds the best team in basketball, but I don't know that it's the case - I really believe that's at least a six-game series with a healthy Kawhi, and they probably have a shot if the supporting cast meets - maybe exceeds - expectation like the '03 team.

Is it possible? Are there players in the pipeline, on the market or could be had to form that sum-is-greater team to give the Spurs a legit shot next year in a best-case scenario? The Warriors, like the Lakers, have made 3 straight Finals appearances, which will wear on teams -
    admittedly, Durant being added definitely helps.

Any optimism? I mean, for 's sake, it's an even year. Kawhi rings in even years.
    Good to see you posting more often, again!

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    Manu wasn't "oft-injured" ...that was his first season mostly he was just an unknown at that point

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    unfortunately for us, as good as Kawhi is, 2003 Duncan is on a whole other level of greatness, and we don't have any beastly players coming from overseas this season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Manu wasn't "oft-injured" ...that was his first season mostly he was just an unknown at that point
    He kept reaggravating a sprained ankle, keeping him from really showing what he had. Couldn't get a rhythm. Happened before the regular season even started, iirc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like the optimism. I think the Spurs will pull a couple of shrewd moves out of their hat that will end up benefitting the chemistry. It will work out.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let's see how good the Warriors are after other teams go after their key role players.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have nothing to add but good post.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Durant wimping out and going to a 73 win team really ed the whole league up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Durant joining that 73 win team has screwed the game, but there is nothing we can do about it. It is what it is. You just hope karma comes their way. 2 years time, they will feel the impact of the luxury tax. Klay may want to move to a bigger market and do 360 jams there. If you put all the bread in the one basket, it could set us back for years. You just do what we have always done. Watch Bertans and Murray hopefully become all stars.

Thread Information