Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But Pop’s coaching wins

We’re being held captive by some old man’s ego. My dude is Kobe’ing us.
    Is this karma for the years we mocked the flakers for this very situation?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is this karma for the years we mocked the flakers for this very situation?
    We are getting Poppobe'd.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How did we exceed expectations in 2018-2019? Was it mainly Aldridge?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How did we exceed expectations in 2018-2019? Was it mainly Aldridge?
    Aldridge was at his peak during those 2 years. We rode him hard which got us into the playoffs both times. He was really that good. The unfortunate part is we rode him too hard that it aged him pretty fast when it came to basketball.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Aldridge was at his peak during those 2 years. We rode him hard which got us into the playoffs both times. He was really that good. The unfortunate part is we rode him too hard that it aged him pretty fast when it came to basketball.
    sounds dirty

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Should have happened 2 years ago.

Pop and RC overvalue experience and culture because of what the return brought when they applied it to the historic personnel in the Duncan era.

Now they think it matters and will make a difference with DeMar, Patty, Gay because it worked with Manu, Tim, and Tony.

Really can't believe they held on to DeMar, Rudy, Patty, and LMA until their value completely diminished months before they test Free Agency.

I can't stand the thought of knowing Rudy is 2nd on the team in usage while not being able to move defensively, and still not knowing what a good pass means.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When is the last time any significant sign-and-trade deal happened in the NBA? Serious question, it seems like fans hope for them but they almost never happen.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anyone who thinks otherwise is delusional. What's the point of being in basketball purgatory? Not good enough to be a playoff team, not bad enough to get a top pick. There's absolutely no hope or faith there.
    I agree that moving one or two of the veterans should have happened, but tanking for lottery picks guarantees them nothing. The Kings & Timberwolves have had countless lottery picks over the last 10 - 20 years, but only one playoff appearance & a worse record than the Spurs.

They need to acquire a superstar then surround them with quality players.

This implosion hopefully convinces the team that their far, far away from competing and need to find a superstar to surround their current group with.

Possibly moving some of the redundant talent (Johnson, Walker IV and/or Vassell) could help them acquire a missing piece.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree and have been saying this for a while now. Should have traded him to the Lakers, but other Spurs fans keep telling me you guys never offered any packages with Ingram in them due to thinking you'll just get Kawhi outright during free agency? If so, can't blame them for not trading with the Lakers, but yeah, if a package centered around Ingram and draft picks was discussed, the Spurs ed up by not doing business with the Lakers IMO.
    They never had to trade him when they did. PATFO blinked. They should've taken it as far as possible, getting the league involved if necessary. He was clearly well enough to play. If he chose to sit out after making his trade demands, then the Spurs could've retained his rights. Pop should've told Kawhi, "Get out there and show everyone you can play & we'll trade you for the best package available." He dogged this franchise so bad.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs had a goal of making the Playoffs this season. For that and their performance to the half way point of the schedule, I applaud their effort and style of play.
    However, it’s clear now that we were experiencing this team’s ceiling and now, unfortunately, must live with its floor.

A modest goal such as a playoff participant shouldn’t be so iron clad as to not undergo some rethinking and course correction if the data suggests it’s becoming unobtainable.
    This is where the Spurs have a chance to “blow it up” and mitigate the collateral damage.

You could start with more compatible lineups on the floor....Emphasise Defensive accountability...Rest guys who don’t have the “goods” night in/out

Mediocre play usually starts with a lack of effort; not a botched play call or missed rotation. Let’s reward toughness and tenacity - Blue collar endeavours. Gauntlet should be thrown down after the last 2 weeks of “Spurs” basketball. No scenario (benchings, DNPs etc)
    should be off limits as we fall further from the initial goal.

If a team’s game plan against you now is : P’nR you to death, transition O opps. (Even off made baskets) and Pack the paint on D, as you’re not shooting/sharing the ball to make them move - you don’t just have a basketball problem anymore, you have work ethic one.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When is the last time any significant sign-and-trade deal happened in the NBA? Serious question, it seems like fans hope for them but they almost never happen.
    Don't expect something significant. If we can get anything. A pick or some serviceable role player. That's probably it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Should have been blown up in the summer of 2018 when that ing snake forced his way out of town. Three ing wasted years that could have been spent getting good draft picks.
    This. I thought somebody bumped a 3 year old thread, tbh... that's what this thread should've been.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree that moving one or two of the veterans should have happened, but tanking for lottery picks guarantees them nothing. The Kings & Timberwolves have had countless lottery picks over the last 10 - 20 years, but only one playoff appearance & a worse record than the Spurs.
    Of course tanking guarantees nothing. However, staying perennially in the 8th-10th seed does guarantee: 1) you're not going to ring, and 2) you're not going to get good picks to potentially make the turnaround quicker either.

Plus, unlike the Wolves and Kings, the Spurs have a phenomenal FO, right?

The Spurs face another problem, which is what makes getting good picks especially important: they don't have the ability to lure top talent, like they did when they were a championship team.

The big 3 lured guys like Finley, McDyess when they still had something left in the tank. LMA came over after we rang again, coming out of back to back finals, and Nephew looked like the next big thing (and the big 3 were still around).

Sure, we have capspace, but if top talent wants to play somewhere, teams dump contracts and make things work all the time, so that's certainly not a guarantee of anything either.

I completely understand posters like Manny that says the Spurs will never tank, but that also doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2019. Butler, Durant, Kemba, Brogdon.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Of course tanking guarantees nothing. However, staying perennially in the 8th-10th seed does guarantee: 1) you're not going to ring, and 2) you're not going to get good picks to potentially make the turnaround quicker either.

Plus, unlike the Wolves and Kings, the Spurs have a phenomenal FO, right?

The Spurs face another problem, which is what makes getting good picks especially important: they don't have the ability to lure top talent, like they did when they were a championship team.

The big 3 lured guys like Finley, McDyess when they still had something left in the tank. LMA came over after we rang again, coming out of back to back finals, and Nephew looked like the next big thing (and the big 3 were still around).

Sure, we have capspace, but if top talent wants to play somewhere, teams dump contracts and make things work all the time, so that's certainly not a guarantee of anything either.

I completely understand posters like Manny that says the Spurs will never tank, but that also doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.
    I completely understand that but purely tanking isn't what this team and organization need. They need a superstar, period, or they could wind up like Sacramento or Minnesota. That type of player has been found later in the lottery or outside the lottery often most recently, and we need the Spurs to find one or more.

They had a great front-office, but the current incarnation hasn't had the same luck as when R.C. (mostly) was helming it.

Even drafting the #1 pick doesn't guarantee you'll improve, look at New Orleans (where Zion puts up points but loses) and Minnesota (year 6 w/ KAT & they still absolutely suck) as evidence (again) that high picks alone don't work.

We need high - end or generational talent to get back to a compe ive or championship place, but only Doncic has proven he's of that mold (of the last three or so drafts). And even Dallas with a much more aggressive FO, better market size & a talented coach are currently just "treading water" (perennial 7th/8th seed thus far).

I don't care how it's done specifically, but getting a true star(s) or superstar is paramount and acquiring more shooting + defense.

Everything else is crying, pissing, moaning & trolling cause the Spurs are experiencing a lot more of what the rest of the NBA has felt (over the last 20+ years).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    2019. Butler, Durant, Kemba, Brogdon.
    Yeah, the Spurs either need to let DeRozan walk - yes, for "nothing" but it isn't as if he's LeBron bailing on Cleveland (both times) - or facilitate a sign - and - trade that gains them an asset (or two). And as you showed, sign - and - trades still happen and the Spurs could work one or more if need be.

He was having a good season prior to the all - star break, but teams are gameplanning better and attacking his very clear weaknesses (defense, lack of perimeter shooting).

I would rather free up those minutes, touches and experience for Johnson and Vassell. Plus, Keldon is clearly worn down from playing inside (plus the after effects of COVID), we need more size in the starting line-up & need to find a more compatible player (in the draft).

Same thing goes for Rudy (who should've been traded for a 2nd) and Patty (should've been moved for a late - 1st or something).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    By “blowing it up” the spurs would actually have more wins right now with out eRozan mills and Gay
    Facts

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am heartened that the two best teams record wise are Utah (pace for 62 wins) and Phoenix (58 wins), who between them don't have a real upper echelon superstar (top 10 in the league).

Mitc , Booker, Gobert, Chris Paul are running their shows. Synder is bonafide top tier pro coach. Tbh don't know who Phoenix's coach is off the top of my head but they've got the floor general Paul.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Actually the team should of been blown up the summer of Kawhi. Should of taken the best deal from leveraging the Lakers, Clips, and 76ers, and gotten a boatload of picks and young players. Likewise should of traded Aldredge and Green separately that summer as well as they had value as well. After three years of sucking, instead of two, we would have a nice future with a roster of young talented players.

Never should of traded for Derozan. Should've moved Aldredge last summer at the latest. And most recently cut Mills, Gary, and Derozan lose and let them catch on with a contender. We're in this mess because of the decisions of two men.
    I have to take this opportunity to gloat...when I said this back then, damn near the whole board came down on me...but it was very evident...if it were a different team that did this move, we would mock them...you know u made a horrible move when the franchise u made a trade with won executive of the year that same year

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DDR is clearly the better player than those two. I don't see the point in trading DDR for a piece that best fits with White and Murray, rather than trading White or Murray to fit around DDR. You have to build around your best player(s). You still have a poor shooting backcourt and a poor shooting front court. Why is it that DDR is the issue here?

IMO, I can see the Spurs/Pop being very aggressive this offseason. They have cap space and they have kept their picks, plus they have starting players on friendly deals (White/Murray/Poeltl/Johnson/Walker).

Spurs will target Sarbonis or Towns. The cost of an allstar quality big man is 1 young player and 2 first round picks. Towns price is higher.
    You only build around ur best player if that player contributes to winning...DeMar doesn't do that... building around a 32 year old DeMar Derozan is one of the dumbest ideas I've seen on here in a while...no offense

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I completely understand that but purely tanking isn't what this team and organization need. They need a superstar, period, or they could wind up like Sacramento or Minnesota. That type of player has been found later in the lottery or outside the lottery often most recently, and we need the Spurs to find one or more.

They had a great front-office, but the current incarnation hasn't had the same luck as when R.C. (mostly) was helming it.

Even drafting the #1 pick doesn't guarantee you'll improve, look at New Orleans (where Zion puts up points but loses) and Minnesota (year 6 w/ KAT & they still absolutely suck) as evidence (again) that high picks alone don't work.

We need high - end or generational talent to get back to a compe ive or championship place, but only Doncic has proven he's of that mold (of the last three or so drafts). And even Dallas with a much more aggressive FO, better market size & a talented coach are currently just "treading water" (perennial 7th/8th seed thus far).

I don't care how it's done specifically, but getting a true star(s) or superstar is paramount and acquiring more shooting + defense.

Everything else is crying, pissing, moaning & trolling cause the Spurs are experiencing a lot more of what the rest of the NBA has felt (over the last 20+ years).
    Horrible example with zion...this is second year and he has a chance to make the playoffs...that's like saying lebron doesn't move the needle because he missed the playoffs his first 2 years in the league

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I fully agree with the writer, but I'm mad that he wrote it...Pop is a contrarian...and if he senses that ppl think keeping DeMar and the vets and playing them significant minutes is a dumb thing to do, he will be stubborn and double down

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Horrible example with zion...this is second year and he has a chance to make the playoffs...that's like saying lebron doesn't move the needle because he missed the playoffs his first 2 years in the league
    Yeah the dude is crying that the 19 year old kid putting up 28 points a game on damn near 70% shooting isn’t helping his team. This is also basically Zions rookie year too bc he missed most of last year with injury. Just another typical Spurstalk take

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah the dude is crying that the 19 year old kid putting up 28 points a game on damn near 70% shooting isn’t helping his team. This is also basically Zions rookie year too bc he missed most of last year with injury. Just another typical Spurstalk take
    Exactly...lol...besides what does that say about DeMar...he is arguing against blowing it up, but here we are about to miss the playoffs for the 2nd straight year with DeMar leading us

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wasn't kevin Durant signing to the Nets a sign and trade as well?

Thread Information