Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs have a coach that is 70 yo and that made his craft out of old school discipline. He became one of the most successful coaches in the history of sport with his method. He is not about to change it now and today it is probably an era where EQ and SQ come more into play for team management success. Not Pop's neck of the woods. That problem will go with the coach going. The real image issue here is the NBA controlled by tantrum bound pseudo stars who are ruled weekly by their vaginas and throw franchises in disarray just because they did not get the right blow job on any given day. In that respect the NBA is a shame to organised professional world sport and a real conundrum.
    Pretty much this. It's a league that really tends to alienate you as you get older versus the other american sports leagues. Location matters more in the NBA then it does in football,hockey,baseball.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    blair was mistreated by all u ungrateful fooks

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You people don't get it. Unfortunately and inexplicably, Pop IS the Spurs image; hence the problem . . . and even when he "retires", I get the sense he'll still have his fingerprints on the organization long after, a la Auerbach.

Most of ALL NBA players have those 2 things in common. Another commonality is they're millionaires. Hmm, perhaps that is another piece to the puzzle. And gosh, they're all males TOO! I think we've cracked it!

Really though, I don't think age or race has anything to do with it. I think most people just don't want to have an asshole boss. And Pop's a stubborn asshole, tbh.
    It has everything to do with it.

Having 3 foreigners from a different generation obscured it for years, as did the fact that the league hadn't yet entered the "player empowerment" era.

If they kept those players on the team then they would have a image problem.
    Most of the league IS those players. You know what they're not? Foreign and/or mixed guys from a different generation.

This couldn't be any further from the truth. This organization employs and promotes multiple players on this roster with questionable reputations. just look at the roster two of the most popular players on this team are very urban and have possible gang ties. The Spurs allow DJ o be himself on and off the court.
    They took him because at 29, it was too much of a value pick (and a positional need at that) to turn down.

So long as the senile duo continues to run things, I'd bet on the relationship souring and it not ending well with him at some point.

He's clearly already frustrated and has talked about a lack of freedom recently.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You people don't get it. Unfortunately and inexplicably, Pop IS the Spurs image; hence the problem . . . and even when he "retires", I get the sense he'll still have his fingerprints on the organization long after, a la Auerbach.

Having 3 foreigners from a different generation obscured it for years, as did the fact that the league hadn't yet entered the "player empowerment" era.

Most of the league IS those players. You know what they're not? Foreign and/or mixed guys from a different generation.

They took him because at 29, it was too much of a value pick (and a positional need at that) to turn down.

So long as the senile duo continues to run things, I'd bet on the relationship souring and it not ending well with him at some point.

He's clearly already frustrated and has talked about a lack of freedom recently.
    Pop is 71 years old. If you believe that he's going to stay with the organization forever then how long do you think he will live to? Possibly until he's 100 .

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Well you can't underestimate Pops role in elevating towel waiver supreme Patty Mills into the "Godfather" role that was previously Timmy's.
    Timmy made sense he is the GOAT,Mills OTOH is not...
    You can tell by how the team comes out for pregame warmups,the older vets don't even bother participating in the stupid Mills rituals
    Only some of the young guys.
    It just reeks of a ty locker room atmosphere.

That being said,the Spurs need to dump LMA and Derozan
    Spurs never won with ballhogging proto typical emo stars like these guys,never will.

Get busy finding "beautiful game" players again.
    More European/international players that understand the team concept and might actually prefer a locker room that isn't overrun with Black American ghetto vibes.

There's still a lot of good players out there that don't want to come to the NBA because they don't want to put up with the ghetto culture of the locker rooms.
    Last edited by tenbeersbold; 02-17-2020 at 05:45 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They clearly perceive of this organization as being at best a dictatorship, replete with militaristic rigidity and a lack of freedom (many have referenced this) and at worst a plantation mentality
    don't forget the fake meritocracy

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They don’t have a image problem. They have a Pop problem

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nothing builds an image problem faster than losing and poor coaching.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Young inner city black men don't want to live in San Antonio?

Wow!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop is 71 years old. If you believe that he's going to stay with the organization forever then how long do you think he will live to? Possibly until he's 100 .
    If you think he's literally going to sever ties when he retires, you're delusional. He'll still be influencing them and they'll still be bringing in players who fit the "culture", the same way the Jazz do almost a decade after Sloan retired.

Get busy finding "beautiful game" players again.
    More European/international players that understand the team concept and might actually prefer a locker room that isn't overrun with Black American ghetto vibes.

There's still a lot of good players out there that don't want to come to the NBA because they don't want to put up with the ghetto culture of the locker rooms.

Re-creating what they had is not realistic. Not only the basketball IQ and talent, but the continuity, selflessness, etc.

Targeting European/international players is stupid, because it just further limits them and in the case of the former, clearly isn't appealing to the majority of Black American players. Foreign superstars: Doncic, Jokic, Antetokounmpo. Foreign stars: Porzingis, Sabonis, Vucevic, Embiid, Simmons, Siakam, Gobert.

The answer isn't turning their back on the majority, it's embracing them (or at least pretending to enough so that they don't shun you).

Young inner city black men don't want to live in San Antonio?

Yet they have no problem living in a bunch of other non glamour markets. If you think the stigma surrounding this one is because of the city, as opposed to the organization, you're delusional.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you think he's literally going to sever ties when he retires, you're delusional. He'll still be influencing them and they'll still be bringing in players who fit the "culture", the same way the Jazz do almost a decade after Sloan retired.

Re-creating what they had is not realistic. Not only the basketball IQ and talent, but the continuity, selflessness, etc.

Targeting European/international players is stupid, because it just further limits them and in the case of the former, clearly isn't appealing to the majority of Black American players. Foreign superstars: Doncic, Jokic, Antetokounmpo. Foreign stars: Porzingis, Sabonis, Vucevic, Embiid, Simmons, Siakam, Gobert.

The answer isn't turning their back on the majority, it's embracing them (or at least pretending to enough so that they don't shun you).

Yet they have no problem living in a bunch of other non glamour markets. If you think the stigma surrounding this one is because of the city, as opposed to the organization, you're delusional.

Yes, the Spurs "image problem" is they are losing, likely out of playoff contention and seemingly unsure about their direction as a team.

Everything else is you just projecting your usual rhetoric and racially driven stance against the Spurs.....

I guess Toronto had an "image problem" until they won, or that Utah, Orlando, Detroit and practically every other non - big market team does.....

The Spurs were extremely lucky that a lot thing fell their way, the talent gelled & (for the most part) enjoyed playing together. Pop was also at his best and now he isn't.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, the Spurs "image problem" is they are losing, likely out of playoff contention and seemingly unsure about their direction as a team.

Everything else is you just projecting your usual rhetoric and racially driven stance against the Spurs.....

I guess Toronto had an "image problem" until they won, or that Utah, Orlando, Detroit and practically every other non - big market team does.....

The Spurs were extremely lucky that a lot thing fell their way, the talent gelled & (for the most part) enjoyed playing together. Pop was also at his best and now he isn't.
    For the most part, those organizations don't have a certain types of players they seek/avoid and you don't hear the same types of things coming from former players of them, apologist.

Until this organization is willing to be introspective and realize they need to change certain things about the way they operate, they're not going anywhere.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t buy the no one wants to come. San Antonio is a neutral in the calcalution. No state taxes, growing city near Austin, hot climate. Several NBA cities I put lower. I think the organization is more the issues than the city

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t buy the no one wants to come. San Antonio is a neutral in the calcalution. No state taxes, growing city near Austin, hot climate. Several NBA cities I put lower. I think the organization is more the issues than the city
    That’s my guess, too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Shouldn't come as a surprise to anybody. Spurs weren't a premier destination even when we had prime Timmy and the Big 3.

What were the major free agency coups the Spurs have had in the last 20 years? Brent Barry...an aging Michael Finley? Maybe Horry or BoBo (who was coming off a terrible tenure in Charlotte)? Richard freaking Jefferson??

LaMarcus came to play with Timmy and because he has family in Texas, and the Spurs were still pretty fresh off the 2014 le at that point.

That pretty much covers it...people were never coming to San Antonio for the Riverwalk. They came to play for championships, and the only remainder of that aura is Pop and even he is one his way out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Random comment: people say the team sucks because of nephew or pop, but what it's karma from waiving rasual Butler so callously? The Spurs didn't cause him to drive off the road, but the way he was booted off the team was wron g. Meanwhile sjax bleeds out his panties every month at being unable to get minutes over prime Danny green and Kawhi and the forum go nuts.

The Spurs built the karma by establishing relationships. The new coach will have to do something because there really isn't a continuance of the pop line available unless an ex assistant returns. Even then I don't see it. Wipe the slate clean go back to fiesta colors and lower ticket prices.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s literally just the fact that the team is in San Antonio. That’s it. Don’t overthink it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OP with another fail thread. What a shocker. The so called "image problem" this team has, is the massive talent drain it has taken over the years.. Take away the big 3, and what's his face for the Clippers and what exactly where you expecting from this team? Posters have already mentioned S.A. is not a destination for free agents. As far as the draft is concerned, its hard to acquire top shelf talent when the Spurs perennially pick in the low first round. PATFO has made some bad free agent signings over the years, you can nail Pop on that and his crazy ass rotations, but you're delusional if you thought the Spur's dynasty was just going to keep on rolling along.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    OP with another fail thread. What a shocker. The so called "image problem" this team has, is the massive talent drain it has taken over the years.. Take away the big 3, and what's his face for the Clippers and what exactly where you expecting from this team? Posters have already mentioned S.A. is not a destination for free agents. As far as the draft is concerned, its hard to acquire top shelf talent when the Spurs perennially pick in the low first round. PATFO has made some bad free agent signings over the years, you can nail Pop on that and his crazy ass rotations, but you're delusional if you thought the Spur's dynasty was just going to keep on rolling along.
    This has nothing to do with that, apologist. It never ceases to amaze how many people lack basic reading comprehension.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Image = Form. The Spurs also have a Substance Problem; they suck.

The old adage is true; form follows substance.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You didn't answer the question again how long do you think Pop is going to be with the Spurs after he's no longer the coach? Give an estimate that's what I'm asking for.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Image = Form. The Spurs also have a Substance Problem; they suck.

The old adage is true; form follows substance.
    It's always about winning. Warriors were garbage for years and now are considered the gold standard of the league when it comes to being a great organization.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's always about winning. Warriors were garbage for years and now are considered the gold standard of the league when it comes to being a great organization.
    new ownership in 2010 new coach in 2014. IT's not exactly a mystery how. Same with clippers

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    new ownership in 2010 new coach in 2014. IT's not exactly a mystery how. Same with clippers
    It takes having players at the end of day. If the Spurs luck out and draft another superstar then they will be considered a great organization again. In general I think winning is fluky in this league. Warriors lucked out with Curry's ascension to an MVP level player. Nobody could predict that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The core home-grown big three that kept the Spurs together and inline, not so much pop. I always laugh when players like LeBron publicly say they'd love to play for Pop, yet I think it's the furthest thing from the truth. Not that Pop is mean or anything, there's just a rigidness/discipline I don't think today's players like.
    I think that's a big reason why the national team is short superstars.

Thread Information